PDA

View Full Version : 1 legged rider

750Y
16th October 2003, 14:06
whoa!!! I just spotted a guy with one leg riding a BMW. Man that must take some balls. Would You continue to ride if You lost your leg?

jrandom
16th October 2003, 14:39
Why not? You'd need linked brakes hooked up to the front lever, and maybe the gearshift switched over if you'd lost your left leg, but I don't think it'd stop me...

Which leg had he lost? Was he wearing a prosthetic leg or just riding one-sided, as it were?

750Y
16th October 2003, 14:57
he had right leg missing from the upper thigh down. I watched him as he stopped at the lights & then took off & he seemed good as gold(better than some 2 legged riders I've seen). I am impressed with the determination to get on with it & enjoy life. I know of a few riders who've had some heavy injuries & they just keep coming back.

Dave
16th October 2003, 16:43
Terry Eva has raced Harley Davidsons for years until a practice crash at puke (got hit by a formula ford) left him without part of one leg. After some years he got back racing about 3 years ago and is still doing it and still going harder than any Harley ever should.

SPman
16th October 2003, 16:56
There's a guy down New Plymouth way was still riding with 1 arm ! Rode a Guzzi I think. Lost his arm when he centre punched a car at speed (his fault -a bit of a loose unit)

130wide
16th October 2003, 20:23
It's not to bad riding with one leg, I have my right leg lobbed below the knee. All it stops you from doing is using the rear brake (saves on brake pads).
I won the 2001 "C" grade winter series, ride every thing from my sons LT50, my 750Turbo and KDX to race bikes RGV to R1's and have even been a swinger on a top rated sidecar(practise).
So it's not all bad.

Firefight
16th October 2003, 20:27
There was an article in one of the glossy pommy bike mags a few months ago about a dude who road track with only one arm, can't remeber the details, but it stuck in my mind that the bike jurnos had trouble keeping up with this guy, will search under the house and try and find the article, I think he had an extra long bar on one side to give the extra leverage, they had some cool
photos, the dude could ride, did anyone else read the article ??

firefight:rockon:

merv
16th October 2003, 20:30
I can't remember his name but a dude used to road race on a Suzuki MX bike back in the late 70's early 80's hanging on with only with one hand. I'm buggered if I remember how he managed the clutch starts but he had all the levers on one side of the bars.

scumdog
16th October 2003, 21:16
Hey 130wide, I see you are a lucky owner of a factory turbo bike, I have one myself, a Susuki XN85 650cc & fuel injected, first road, not a common bike.going Suzuki with mono-shock rear end (so I believe) and has anti-dive front forks

Big Dog
16th October 2003, 21:19
I was out hitching in Waitara and got picked up by a one armed Guzzi rider. At the other end he stooped to adjust his leg. He says prosthetic from seperate accident. I never did work out if he was kidding or not but that was the fastest I ever went round Waiau corner:gob: Those from Taranaki 8+ years ago will know why that is scary. Chicane of sorts or a double hairpin joined by barely a two lane bridge, downhill in (badly cambered) uphill out (badly cambered).

Badly cambered = degree of camber changes at random intervals giving a rollercoaster effect to motorcycles.:confused:

SPman
16th October 2003, 22:01
Same guy - scary (read -  good) corner:niceone:

Jackrat
16th October 2003, 22:31
Jezzzz,What a subject aye.
I know three guys in OZ who have one leg an another couple with one arm.I have a mate from Auck,s that has a leg that don,t
bend at all and one arm two inchs shorter than it used to be.
I know an old bloke from Papakura that rides a Vincent and a collection of other old brit, bikes with one leg.One noticable thing about all these guys,is they are all long time riders an they all ride
VERY well.Iv,e just come back from injury to my back and head,after a bit of thinking about it and some encouragement from friends I decided,stuff it you only live once. :rockon:

Slim
17th October 2003, 06:41
Hell yeah!!! I'd be back on a bike as soon as humanly possible! :D

PZR
17th October 2003, 11:23
[:Offtopic:

750Y I have sent you an email
PZR
(Evan)

bungbung
17th October 2003, 12:27
There's a fella in wellington who rides rides a harley with one arm. His bike has really high narrow bars, so it kind of looks like he is doing some kind of nazi salute. I would have thought lower wider bars would be the go.

wari
18th October 2003, 15:57
We got a kiwibiker member ... onarmbandit ... 'nuff said.

Think he's got both arms ... only one dont work proper.

Big Dog
18th October 2003, 21:23
And I bet most of us have had more than one spill:o

But we keep coming back for more:p

wkid_one
18th October 2003, 21:57
I like the assumption that he lost his leg on his bike?  Coulda been a work accident or sim

Big Dog
20th October 2003, 18:00
Originally posted by wkid_one
I like the assumption that he lost his leg on his bike?  Coulda been a work accident or sim

Only going on what he said.... but its hard to tell if he was pulling my leg, he did have a helmet on after all.