PDA

View Full Version : Moto GP Spoiler.

Big Dave
28th June 2009, 00:49
The race was a fizzer. Mostly 10 second gaps and a procession.

The immediate aftermath was very cool. Even if you aren't a Rossi fan.

100 wins.

zadok
28th June 2009, 01:02
Certainly not an exciting race, but congratulations to Rossi for a deserved 100th win.:clap:

Cleve
28th June 2009, 01:12
Certainly not an exciting race, but congratulations to Rossi for a deserved 100th win.:clap:

well if you ignore the first 5 places... But the battle for 6th. Holy shit!!!
What is it about Assen and the last chicane?! Every race, every year, SOMETHING happens.

Congraulations Rossi on No. 100.

Look forward to more.

Mort
28th June 2009, 01:25
Awesome ride by rossi and Lorenzo.... Stoner down almost 20 seconds !!!

Why did stoner miss the press conf ? He also wouldn't get off his step when the champagne was being sprayed.... Rossi was clearly not happy at the conf - looking daggers at someone off camera ...and there were shouts and a loud bang somewhere....

Stoner is an awesome rider but he is miserable fucker.

lostinflyz
28th June 2009, 01:37
Awesome ride by rossi and Lorenzo.... Stoner down almost 20 seconds !!!

Why did stoner miss the press conf ? He also wouldn't get off his step when the champagne was being sprayed.... Rossi was clearly not happy at the conf - looking daggers at someone off camera ...and there were shouts and a loud bang somewhere....

Stoner is an awesome rider but he is miserable fucker.

i beleive they said something about him being at the med. centre. he looked pretty solidly fucked at the end of the race.

no matters. time to que up superpole. man i like this weekend. racing since thursday every night till late as. good for the sleep habit.

Mort
28th June 2009, 08:54
OK - maybe calling him a miserable fucker is wrong but there's something not right there. He always seems to have some ailment or complaint going on. If he is ill then third place is a hell of an achievement. ould love to know what was going on at the press conf though..

roogazza
28th June 2009, 10:00
Wish granted for me ! Rossi looked very determined. Gaz.

EJT
28th June 2009, 12:24
OK - maybe calling him a miserable fucker is wrong but there's something not right there. He always seems to have some ailment or complaint going on. If he is ill then third place is a hell of an achievement. ould love to know what was going on at the press conf though..

Na - he is a miserable fucker. If I was married to Adriana I would be smiling even if I was last in every race::love:

But seriously - good on Rossi. The greatest of all!!

Crasherfromwayback
28th June 2009, 12:31

Only the second time I think he's said he's been crook as, as far as I can remember??

But I must say...even if he was at 100% health wise...doubt he could've stopped Rossi racing to his 100th win. Rossi was way too fast for anyone else out there. Full credit to the guy. I reckon he'll hang in there to try and beat Ago's record. Amazing stuff.

Matt Bleck
28th June 2009, 12:31

not quite, 23 to go.....

Big Dave
28th June 2009, 13:00
You read it here first.

Stoner has Whine Flu.

Crasherfromwayback
28th June 2009, 13:08
You read it here first.

Stoner has Whine Flu.

Hehehe...noice one! Guess I'll have to look after Mrs Stoner while he gets over it!

Toot Toot
28th June 2009, 14:00
not quite, 23 to go.....
He did say in the press conference that he will need to do another season to get more wins like Ago....
I guess that is his goal before switching to WRC

NZsarge
28th June 2009, 14:05
Na - he is a miserable fucker. If I was married to Adriana I would be smiling even if I was last in every race::love:

Fuck that woman need a burger or ten and a fucking smile for crying out loud, far far far hotter women than her in any given MotoGP paddock i'm absolutely certain.

Toot Toot
28th June 2009, 14:11
I agree, Stoner is a miserable looking Dingo.
My thoughts are, he thought this was going to be his year again, and The Doctor has spoiled all his plans, stolen the limelight again and poor Stoner is resorting to "poor me I'm sick" tactics to try and garner some sympathy from MotoGp fans.

lostinflyz
28th June 2009, 14:49
He did say in the press conference that he will need to do another season to get more wins like Ago....

i beleive he said with the competition as it is he would need 4 more seasons.

Wingnut
28th June 2009, 15:52
250s was good though. Shame about Bautista slamming Aoyama up the ass. Bugger - literally.

Toot Toot
28th June 2009, 17:07
i beleive he said with the competition as it is he would need 4 more seasons.

No it wouldnt. There are 27 more races between now and the END of NEXT season. If he wins 23 of those, he has the record.
Where you get four seasons from I dont know.
It may take one more season after that to wrap up the record but not four of them.

Little Smurf
28th June 2009, 17:25
Yippee Rossi is da man!!!! He has spirit and determination to boot who can deny him this...certainly not Stoner the sore loser, read on Motorcycle Daily that he was complaining about the traffic!!! WTF, harden up dude, you playing with the big boys, and Lorenzo, even tho he wants the lime light I must admit that he has mellowed and is gettin gmore professional ..... however Rosssi is "The Doctor".:clap::banana:

Wingnut
28th June 2009, 17:40
No it wouldnt. There are 27 more races between now and the END of NEXT season. If he wins 23 of those, he has the record.
It may take one more season after that to wrap up the record but not four of them.

It isn't going to get any easier. Lorenzo is super competitive and this is only his second season. He is only going to get stronger too. Unless he gets crashing again. Last season that really did shake his confidence.:shit:

FROSTY
28th June 2009, 17:51
To me I thought the "big boys" were a bit of a yawn fest to watch.
Not a reflection of the skill of those guys
But the 250's Holey moley that was a good race. Lead changes and drama throughout right down to the last lap.
The off on the last lap to me showed just how close to the edge those guys ride. Having to predict the other guys move so you could make a pass--or not.

I diddn't pick up though what is next season bringing engine wise for the 250 boys?? Is it a 500 or 600 multi??

lostinflyz
28th June 2009, 18:08

Rossi (not me) said it would take him about 4 more seasons. Winning 85% of races is even beyond rossi. personally i think he could do it in 3 more

I imagine he was commenting on the quality of the competition at the moment. last year he got 9 victories which is about what he does for a championship. but if lorenzo, stoner, dani p or dovisioso can stay fit all season and keep the pace up that would be tough to keep up.

Genestho
28th June 2009, 20:17
The race was a fizzer. Mostly 10 second gaps and a procession.

The immediate aftermath was very cool. Even if you aren't a Rossi fan.

100 wins.

That was Very Very cool!:Punk:

discotex
28th June 2009, 20:18
I diddn't pick up though what is next season bringing engine wise for the 250 boys?? Is it a 500 or 600 multi??

Moto2 will be a control 600 IL4 made by Honda. 150-160hp from memory.

lostinflyz
28th June 2009, 23:00
Moto2 will be a control 600 IL4 made by Honda. 150-160hp from memory.

and they sound like the devil having his testicles ripped off. awesome.

actually it sounds very much like the honda 600 superbikes they have in japan. The one i saw at motegi last year was louder than all the superbikes they had there. all bikes should have megaphone exhasusts

merv
29th June 2009, 08:52
You read it here first.

Stoner has Whine Flu.

What country is that boy from Dave?

roogazza
29th June 2009, 09:29

Lets not forget Agostini had machinery that made british singles look pretty lame at the time. But he did prove he was great by switching to Yamaha and winning. (just like Rossi). G.

denill
29th June 2009, 11:36
My thoughts are, he thought this was going to be his year again, and The Doctor has spoiled all his plans, stolen the limelight again and poor Stoner is resorting to "poor me I'm sick" tactics to try and garner some sympathy from MotoGp fans.

I am always surprised at the venom from the anti-Stoner ranters.

I would expect that Fans will have their favourites, why they can hate a competitor is beyond me. :Punk:

Hey, put me in the Stoner fan club - but it's always the best man on the day who wins. And on that day it was Rossi. I had tears in my eyes when I saw the images on the giant poster. Yeah, the guy is a legend and he's still growing the legend.

merv
29th June 2009, 12:31
Lets not forget Agostini had machinery that made british singles look pretty lame at the time. But he did prove he was great by switching to Yamaha and winning. (just like Rossi). G.

Hailwood tried to take the 500 title off him with the Honda and missed doing that and the British singles had been well beaten long before Ago by Duke, Surtees, Hailwood and others http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Prix_motorcycle_racing_World_Champio ns

Ago's Yamaha wins certainly were great which besides 500 and 350 titles you can add his Daytona win on the TZ at his first attempt in '74 as something special http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=112

Rossi obviously has his sights on this man's records, though Isle of Man and Daytona will not be included for sure.

wharfy
29th June 2009, 13:38
Rossi obviously has his sights on this man's records, though Isle of Man and Daytona will not be included for sure.

Well he was "playing" at the IOM TT , maybe he is susing it out to have crack after he has the other records "in the bag" . It would be cool if he did.

pritch
29th June 2009, 15:41
I am always surprised at the venom from the anti-Stoner ranters.

I would expect that Fans will have their favourites, why they can hate a competitor is beyond me. :Punk:

"Hate" seems a bit strong?

To a certain extent the young man brought it on himself. After all he is a graduate of the Puig Academy of Charm and Deportment. Even his classmate Pedrosa has belatedly realised that if you want the press to say nice things about you, perhaps you should be nice to them...

Big Dave
29th June 2009, 15:51
Hey, put me in the Stoner fan club

Me too.

From a 'typical Aussie' perspective it is incomprehensible how anybody could be a rabbid Rossi fan if they aren't Italian.

Respect and admiration sure. But he flies around with an Italian flag after the race and the whole thing is entirely Nationalistic.

Stoner is a good kid and highly successful individual who gets a bad rap for mine - and my mail is that he has been ill.

He and Hayden also have the somewhat rare distinction of having beaten Rossi.

The pun was too good to miss though.

Badjelly
29th June 2009, 15:56
There was an interesting article on Wingnut in Two Wheels magazine a couple of months ago, written by a journalist who had been press officer for the Ducati MotoGP team. From the article, he comes across as someone who claims not to care what people think about him, but betrays the fact that he cares very much by his sensitivity to criticism.

But Wingnut certainly doesn't care what I think of him. (And neither do I, really.) He's talented and determined and ready to speak his mind. Good on him.

"D" FZ1
29th June 2009, 16:11
You read it here first.

Stoner has Whine Flu.

Well said. My thoughts exactly :crybaby:

denill
29th June 2009, 16:40

Health scare ruins Stoner title hopes: June 29, 2009 - 11:21AM

A MYSTERY illness threatens to derail Casey Stoner's MotoGP title hopes after the Australian suffered exhaustion on his way to a third placing at the Dutch Grand Prix at the weekend.

For the second successive race, Stoner was forced to battle physical problems to claim a podium finish, as title rival Valentino Rossi raced away to notch up his 100th MotoGP win ahead of Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo on Saturday. As in Catalunya a fortnight ago, 2007 world champion Stoner needed medical treatment immediately after the Assen race and could not give interviews.

Stoner's team admitted it would need to investigate the 23-year-old's health before the US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca next week. "There is something wrong with Casey's condition and we are trying to understand what is wrong and trying to help," Ducati MotoGP director Livio Suppo told the MotoGP website.

Crasherfromwayback
29th June 2009, 17:09
Stoner is a good kid and highly successful individual who gets a bad rap for mine - and my mail is that he has been ill.

There was a great article about him in Australian Motorcycle news a while back...he just hates the spotlight and is basically a really shy guy.

These twats that go on about him whinging are full of shit. He's a young kid with a massive future and already one moto GP title. One of his turds would have more talent than any of his knockers.

discotex
29th June 2009, 17:16
There was a great article about him in Australian Motorcycle news a while back...he just hates the spotlight and is basically a really shy guy.

Poor misunderstood Stoner :crybaby:

Seriously though I agree. I don't think he's a pompus prick as he's been made out to be. He just isn't a natural people person like others in the paddock e.g. Toseland, Edwards, Hayden and the obvious one, Rossi.

denill
29th June 2009, 18:46
[QUOTE=discotex;1129282660 He just isn't a natural people person like others in the paddock e.g. Toseland, Edwards, Hayden and the obvious one, Rossi.[/QUOTE]

Yes FFS, his job is to ride the Ducati as fast as he can. And he does.

He's not employed to be fucking pop star.

Crasherfromwayback
29th June 2009, 20:30
Poor misunderstood Stoner :crybaby:

Seriously though I agree. I don't think he's a pompus prick as he's been made out to be. He just isn't a natural people person like others in the paddock e.g. Toseland, Edwards, Hayden and the obvious one, Rossi.

Not forgetting Lorenzo...he likes to put on a show too!

eelracing
29th June 2009, 21:14
Yes FFS, his job is to ride the Ducati as fast as he can. And he does.

He's not employed to be fucking pop star.

This is a very good point,there is plenty of talk around that when Rossi retires then the "show" will be gone from GP's as Rossi's personality has attracted plenty of the current new fans to the sport.Will be a sad day for sure but the new talent will still carry on the on track show.Which is what its all about when you boil it down.

Can't help but wonder if the "moaning Stoner" comments are coming from the British fanbase as they did boo him on the podium last year for having the audacity to beat Rossi.Short memories indeed as there last great GP champion was struck down with a mystery virus when gettin beaten on a regular basis.(Kenny Roberts Flu i believe).

As has been mentioned maybe Casey just aint a people person and just does'nt wanna buy into the cult of personality nonsense that currently infects most sports in these times.

Mort
29th June 2009, 21:28
The booing on the podium was for the government minister handing out the trophies.... that story is false.

Dead right he's not a natural show man.... but what I cannot understand why a 23 year old who earns millions riding MotoGp for Ducati , is a world champion, has massive talent (possibly the best talent since Rossi), has a dead fit wife and is living the dream of a billion bikers should have a face like a smacked arse all the time. If he just smiled and looked like he was enjoying it a bit people would love him.... thats all it takes. As a rider he's up there with Rossi and Doohan and the greats.

discotex
29th June 2009, 21:55
Not forgetting Lorenzo...he likes to put on a show too!

Lorenzo likes to put on a show but he doesn't come across so well one-to-one in interviews.

He's maturing well as the season goes on though. He was far more sportsmanlike after the recent beating by Rossi. Previously he's seemed a little spoiled brat when it didn't go his way.

What I want to see is Hayden make it to the podium just once this year. He's working his way forward so fingers crossed. Gonna be hard with the top 3 so close though.

JayRacer37
29th June 2009, 22:15
Lorenzo likes to put on a show but he doesn't come across so well one-to-one in interviews.

Yeah, but you see him, or Rossi, or Hayden or Toseland on camera and they give you a smile and a wave.

You see Stoner on camera...and he always looks like his big bro stole his lunch or something. Great rider, but if your not having fun, why are you doing it...

discotex
29th June 2009, 22:22
You see Stoner on camera...and he always looks like his big bro stole his lunch or something.

Could it be it's just the classic stoic Kiwi/Aussie way of defending yourself from tall poppie syndrome?

JayRacer37
29th June 2009, 22:25
Could it be it's just the classic stoic Kiwi/Aussie way of defending yourself from tall poppie syndrome?

No idea, but it is why I don't like him much...I feel like I know the others...I feel like Stoner wants me/everyone to piss off. Just an attitude thing I guess.

camscomponents
29th June 2009, 22:54
Rossi Showed us as they say another masterclass in GP Motorcycle riding. Most guys would wish and prey they could be good enough to win one let alone 100. Absolutley Brilliant:gob:

Big Dave
29th June 2009, 22:55
but if your not having fun, why are you doing it...

Several million dollars.

eelracing
29th June 2009, 23:13
I feel like Stoner wants me/everyone to piss off. Just an attitude thing I guess.

Perhaps,but we forget that Doohan was just as prickly in his prime and add Gardener to that list too...maybe discotex is onto something.
Eddie Lawson did'nt play the popularity Game as well but times then were different.And noone really gave a rats except for the odd journalist.

Some of these boys just wanna race bikes,not put up with the (contract clause)publicity game that surrounds them.When they become World Champions they can stipulate there own clauses and don't have to play that game no more.

This is prob just how Casey rolls and its brung in the results so far,and if it twists a few panties in the process,then so be it.

pritch
30th June 2009, 09:02
But he flies around with an Italian flag after the race and the whole thing is entirely Nationalistic.

Ummm I don't remember too much of this, Portaloos yes, Claudia Schiffer blow up dolls yes, various other antics too, maybe the occasional flag but I've certainly never been offended by it.

Stoner had the Australian flag painted large on the front of his Honda and last time I looked it's still represented on the front of his Duc. On that basis a case could be made that he's way more "nationalistic" than Rossi who doesn't have big Italian flags on his bike. But then I wasn't offended by Stoner's paint jobs either...

A week or so back Lorenzo took the Catalan flag for a ride. That probably shouldn't offend anybody either.

I'd rather they were proud of where they came from, unlike some of the drop kicks we have who show no pride in anything at all including themselves, and are probably fully justified in feeling that way. At least with regard to themserlves.

roogazza
30th June 2009, 10:00
Perhaps,but we forget that Doohan was just as prickly in his prime and add Gardener to that list too...maybe discotex is onto something.
Eddie Lawson did'nt play the popularity Game as well but times then were different.And noone really gave a rats except for the odd journalist.
This is prob just how Casey rolls and its brung in the results so far,and if it twists a few panties in the process,then so be it.

Lawson left his last GP not looking back, saying, what was it ?
"They'll forget me in a week" !! (we didn't did we).
The media attacked him too and lots of others, Sheene, Kocinski, Spencer ! All different in their own ways, look at the current crop, same story.
Comes with the territory sadly. Gaz.

Oscar
30th June 2009, 10:28

And Ago could ride in more than one class.
Imagine Rossi riding 250's and MotoGP....

Oscar
30th June 2009, 10:30
Me too.

From a 'typical Aussie' perspective it is incomprehensible how anybody could be a rabbid Rossi fan if they aren't Italian.

Respect and admiration sure. But he flies around with an Italian flag after the race and the whole thing is entirely Nationalistic.

Er...Stoner has an Aussie flag painted on his bike.
Just saying..

Big Dave
30th June 2009, 10:33
Er...Stoner has an Aussie flag painted on his bike.
Just saying..

Aye - and I have one tattooed on my shoulder.

Oscar
30th June 2009, 10:35
I spoke to Stoner once, at the 2004 Aussie MotoGP.

He came across as young & shy, but a nice bloke.

I think he was avoiding his fan club...

Big Dave
30th June 2009, 10:35
I've certainly never been offended by it.

It's not offensive at all. It's just not mine. The flag makes him 'the opposition', but at the end of the day, the whole circus is just a wank about goobers going round in circles real fast - no offence possible.

:-)

Badjelly
30th June 2009, 10:45
There was an interesting article on Wingnut in Two Wheels magazine a couple of months ago, written by a journalist who had been press officer for the Ducati MotoGP team. From the article, he comes across as someone who claims not to care what people think about him, but betrays the fact that he cares very much by his sensitivity to criticism....

There was a great article about him in Australian Motorcycle news a while back...he just hates the spotlight and is basically a really shy guy.....

We are describing the same article, not Two Wheels but AMCN 1-14 April 2009.

eelracing
30th June 2009, 12:25
but at the end of the day, the whole circus is just a wank about goobers going round in circles real fast - no offence possible.

:-)

No that would be a circle jerk BD...apparrently an aussie NRL specialty at aftermatch functions.

Big Dave
30th June 2009, 12:28
No that would be a circle jerk BD...apparrently an aussie NRL specialty at aftermatch functions.

The old inverse Hopoate trick. I bet them GP boys don't shower together after the race.

eelracing
30th June 2009, 12:40
"They'll forget me in a week" !! (we didn't).

Yeah mate,he left his last GP sayin "I don't want any thing to do with those jerks"(other riders)
As he was leaving an american voice yelled out (i think it was Schwantz)"Get the fuck outta here,and dont ever come back."

But that was Eddie to a T.

eelracing
30th June 2009, 12:50
The old inverse Hopoate trick.

Haha yeah,but like Hoppa's missus said to him...lets not go there.:shit:

merv
30th June 2009, 13:13
I'm all for Nationalistic and flags and Rossi is cool for doing that. Just wish we could see the Kiwi flag more often.

HenryDorsetCase
30th June 2009, 13:19
"They'll forget me in a week" !! (we didn't).
The media attacked him too and lots of others, Sheene, Kosinski, Spencer ! All different in their own ways, look at the current crop.

Barry Sheene was someone who very actively courted the media, and they loved him for it.

Kocinski has/had actual mental health problems. Not too many attacks on him in or by the media I've seen.

Stuff I've read about Freddie over the years suggests he is a deeply shy, very conservative Southern boy, very religious, and kept himself to himself. He also happened to be demon fast, and a master of pushing the front. the only negative publicity i can recall is when he stopped winning, retired and came back. Basically his wrist tendons packed up IIRC.

HenryDorsetCase
30th June 2009, 13:20
I'm all for Nationalistic and flags and Rossi is cool for doing that. Just wish we could see the Kiwi flag more often.

....on occasions when it isnt acutely embarrassing to be a kiwi. thugby matches, hakas and shit.

merv
30th June 2009, 13:26
Yeah trouble with the haka is it happens beforehand with no guarantee of a win, whereas the show of flags after a win at least has value in my view.

Freddie Spencer was the last double champion wasn't he in 250/500. I presume its still possible to ride both classes but no-one does these days or are they not allowed to?

Big Dave
30th June 2009, 13:31
You couldn't have them riding in two classes now.

The sponsors, agencies and stylists would have fits.

Big Dave
30th June 2009, 13:40
Love the Haka. Usually means a win coming up.
(No I'm kidding - I know where the cups are.)

And seriously - I think the Haka is mint. Game on.

Oscar
30th June 2009, 13:43
Yeah trouble with the haka is it happens beforehand with no guarantee of a win, whereas the show of flags after a win at least has value in my view.

Freddie Spencer was the last double champion wasn't he in 250/500. I presume its still possible to ride both classes but no-one does these days or are they not allowed to?

Against the rules.

Viscount Montgomery
30th June 2009, 14:31
The old inverse Hopoate trick. I bet them GP boys don't shower together after the race.

Sad for Rossi..

merv
30th June 2009, 15:50
Against the rules.

Its hard to tell reading these http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/Codes_et_reglements/ROAD_RACING_GP_Eng.pdf whether its against the rules or not.

I see they are very discriminatory age-wise though :no: I see.

wharfy
30th June 2009, 16:42
Its hard to tell reading these http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/Codes_et_reglements/ROAD_RACING_GP_Eng.pdf whether its against the rules or not.

I see they are very discriminatory though age-wise though :no: I see.

Bugger ! another career path blocked

roogazza
1st July 2009, 10:19
Barry Sheene was someone who very actively courted the media, and they loved him for it.
Kocinski has/had actual mental health problems. Not too many attacks on him in or by the media I've seen.
Stuff I've read about Freddie over the years suggests he is a deeply shy, very conservative Southern boy, very religious, and kept himself to himself. He also happened to be demon fast, and a master of pushing the front. the only negative publicity i can recall is when he stopped winning, retired and came back. Basically his wrist tendons packed up IIRC.

They've all had crap written about them at some stage, be it Sheene falling sick witha mistery illness, Kocinski with his incessant hand cleaning or Spencer with his arm pump. It was the media I was getting at, not the great riders. G.

Rcktfsh
1st July 2009, 10:38

Pretty rare to win double championships, heres the list.

Seasons Rider Titles
1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 Giacomo Agostini 10 (5 x 500 cc, 5 x 350 cc)
1958, 1959, 1960 John Surtees 6 (3 x 500 cc, 3 x 350 cc)
1956, 1959, 1960 Carlo Ubbiali 6 (3 x 250 cc, 3 x 125 cc)
1962, 1963 Jim Redman 4 (2 x 350 cc, 2 x 250 cc)
1966, 1967 Mike Hailwood 4 (2 x 350 cc, 2 x 250 cc)
1978, 1979 Kork Ballington 4 (2 x 350 cc, 2 x 250 cc)
1951 Geoff Duke 2 (1 x 500 cc, 1 x 350 cc)
1953 Werner Haas 2 (1 x 250 cc, 1 x 125 cc)
1961 Gary Hocking 2 (1 x 500 cc, 1 x 350 cc)
1963 Hugh Anderson 2 (1 x 125 cc, 1 x 50 cc)
1968 Phil Read 2 (1 x 250 cc, 1 x 125 cc)
1972 Ángel Nieto 2 (1 x 125 cc, 1 x 50 cc)
1976 Walter Villa 2 (1 x 350 cc, 1 x 250 cc)
1981 Anton Mang 2(1 x 350 cc, 1 x 250 cc)
1985 Freddie Spencer 2 (1 x 500 cc, 1 x 250 cc)
1988 Jorge Martínez 2 (1 x 125 cc, 1 x 80 cc)

Oscar
1st July 2009, 11:46
Pretty rare to win double championships, heres the list.

Seasons Rider Titles
1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 Giacomo Agostini 10 (5 x 500 cc, 5 x 350 cc)
1958, 1959, 1960 John Surtees 6 (3 x 500 cc, 3 x 350 cc)
1956, 1959, 1960 Carlo Ubbiali 6 (3 x 250 cc, 3 x 125 cc)
1962, 1963 Jim Redman 4 (2 x 350 cc, 2 x 250 cc)
1966, 1967 Mike Hailwood 4 (2 x 350 cc, 2 x 250 cc)
1978, 1979 Kork Ballington 4 (2 x 350 cc, 2 x 250 cc)
1951 Geoff Duke 2 (1 x 500 cc, 1 x 350 cc)
1953 Werner Haas 2 (1 x 250 cc, 1 x 125 cc)
1961 Gary Hocking 2 (1 x 500 cc, 1 x 350 cc)
1963 Hugh Anderson 2 (1 x 125 cc, 1 x 50 cc)
1968 Phil Read 2 (1 x 250 cc, 1 x 125 cc)
1972 Ángel Nieto 2 (1 x 125 cc, 1 x 50 cc)
1976 Walter Villa 2 (1 x 350 cc, 1 x 250 cc)
1981 Anton Mang 2(1 x 350 cc, 1 x 250 cc)
1985 Freddie Spencer 2 (1 x 500 cc, 1 x 250 cc)
1988 Jorge Martínez 2 (1 x 125 cc, 1 x 80 cc)

John Surtees went one better - the only man to win the premier class on 2 and 4 wheels...

merv
1st July 2009, 12:36
Yeah I wasn't thinking of the small classes hence my comment on Spencer being the last double at 250/500 level, but Oscar can you make sense of that regulations document because you said firmly double is against the rules now? I couldn't see that, I could only see that if you are too old as in above 50 for example you're out of MotoGP and lower ages for the smaller classes.

Oscar
1st July 2009, 12:48
Yeah I wasn't thinking of the small classes hence my comment on Spencer being the last double at 250/500 level, but Oscar can you make sense of that regulations document because you said firmly double is against the rules now? I couldn't see that, I could only see that if you are too old as in above 50 for example you're out of MotoGP and lower ages for the smaller classes.

I read the whole thing, and apart from the language all being in the singular, there is no specific rule. It may be an agreement between IRTA and the FIM.

My info. came from Mike Webb, who is the Technical Director.

merv
1st July 2009, 13:02
It may be an agreement between IRTA and the FIM.

Probably that, because they may well have some other documented agreements because it said they had to be riders from IRTA teams.

It just used to be a cool notion that someone was so good they could leap from one bike to another and win.

James Deuce
1st July 2009, 13:08

I see they are very discriminatory age-wise though :no: I see.

Yep, I was bummed to see Locatelli effectively heaved out of the class despite consistently running at the front as well as bringing new riders through.

Oscar
1st July 2009, 14:13
Yep, I was bummed to see Locatelli effectively heaved out of the class despite consistently running at the front as well as bringing new riders through.

I think existing riders get to stay as long as they like.

James Deuce
1st July 2009, 14:17
No, he was arseholed out when the change came through. He's in 250s at the moment, on a "Gilera".

Oscar
1st July 2009, 14:22
No, he was arseholed out when the change came through. He's in 250s at the moment, on a "Gilera".

I wonder how he'll go on a Moto2?
It's a long way from a 125....

lostinflyz
2nd July 2009, 21:43

maybe but he still scores the odd podium. and thats always fun. i clearly remeber alot wheelies last year when both he and simoncelli were on the podium (or was that this year??)

like watching mccoy on the trumphy last week.