PDA

View Full Version : New clutch cable for my CB250RS

Ms Piggy
28th June 2009, 15:37
*Please note, I'm a novice when it comes to things mechanical to do with motorbikes, so excuse the use of many non-technical terms!*

My bike has this flaw (okay well it has a few!) which means that the clutch cable wire (inner?) wears because the cable doesn't/won't sit flush with the upper adjuster bits and so it means the cable is sitting on a bit of an angle and therefore scraping on the metal and getting worn...eventually snapping. I can see it's close to snapping again.

My questions: can I just get the inner clutch cable (the wire bit)? If I can, is it easy to take out the old cable inner and insert the new one? Or should I just get a completely new inner and outer cable? I'm fairly confident I can fit the new cable myself.

Thanks, Ms Piggy.

Ocean1
28th June 2009, 15:51
You can replace just the inner, but it's usually not worth it. There will (should) be a plastic liner inside the outer case, if the outer is kinked that liner will be history, time to lash out on a complete new one.

You're right, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to fit a new cable, just watch the quality on offer, some of it's utter shite. If you get stuck holler and I'll see if I can help.

dogsnbikes
28th June 2009, 16:06
Just looked at mine and they are flush so by your upper adjuster bits I assume you mean wear you adjust it on the clutch lever?do you have the rubber boot that goes on the cable at the lever end and how far out would you have that top adjuster out making sure that the cut is pointing up so it supports the cable outer

Ms Piggy
18th July 2009, 18:12
You're right, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to fit a new cable, just watch the quality on offer, some of it's utter shite. If you get stuck holler and I'll see if I can help.

Just looked at mine and they are flush so by your upper adjuster bits I assume you mean wear you adjust it on the clutch lever?do you have the rubber boot that goes on the cable at the lever end and how far out would you have that top adjuster out making sure that the cut is pointing up so it supports the cable outer

Okay after it taking an age to get the clutch cable I'd purchased delivered (long story I won't bore you with) I've finally fitted it - this was after a lot of pissing about and fiddling cos it initially was too loose but, I'm a little worried that it's gonna wreck what's left of my choke. See photos attached.

Lots of squiggles and lines, the red lines are the choke cable, the green line is the clutch cable.

Ocean1
18th July 2009, 23:27
Yeah, looks a little tight up there, it's pulling down at an angle from the clutch lever also.

It's routed the same as the original? In particular make sure it's layed correctly around the headstock...

Ms Piggy
19th July 2009, 07:52
Yeah, looks a little tight up there, it's pulling down at an angle from the clutch lever also.

It's routed the same as the original? In particular make sure it's layed correctly around the headstock...

Yeah it is the same route as the original, in fact I tried initially putting around the back of the choke but the clutch was really sloppy and the cable kept slipping. Errrrrr, what's 'the headstock'? :o

dogsnbikes
19th July 2009, 09:41
Okay after it taking an age to get the clutch cable I'd purchased delivered (long story I won't bore you with) I've finally fitted it - this was after a lot of pissing about and fiddling cos it initially was too loose but, I'm a little worried that it's gonna wreck what's left of my choke. See photos attached.

Lots of squiggles and lines, the red lines are the choke cable, the green line is the clutch cable.

I agree with Ocean the head stock is the the part of the frame that the triple clamps mount too they hold the front forks to your bike

have alook at the diagrams attached that is how your clutch cable should look

Ocean1
19th July 2009, 18:08
Yeah it is the same route as the original, in fact I tried initially putting around the back of the choke but the clutch was really sloppy and the cable kept slipping. Errrrrr, what's 'the headstock'? :o

OK, the original cable might have been a cock-up though, the choke cable sure looks like it belongs in front of the clutch cable.

What was sloppy about the clutch when you had it set up like that? What was slipping?

Oh, like dogs' says, the headstock is the upright tube part of the frame under the top triple-clamp, (which is what your handlebars are attached too) both triple-clamps pivot on a shaft through the headstock.

Ms Piggy
19th July 2009, 18:11
What was sloppy about the clutch when you had it set up like that? What was slipping?
The cable kept slipping out of the adjuster. See pics. [edit]: These are the pics of what the clutch cable did when the cable was routed around the front of the choke cable.

Ms Piggy
19th July 2009, 18:36
Btw - thanks for your replies & info so far.

F5 Dave
19th July 2009, 20:44
Hi Cathy, there should be adjustment at the other end of the cable.

If you have any drama flick us a text & bring it round I can check the routing (that's routing you internerd saddos:bleh:), I can just about work on things now.

Ocean1
19th July 2009, 21:28
The cable kept slipping out of the adjuster. See pics.

OK, one problem there to start with.

The clutch cable outer has a metal ferrule on the end, that should fit inside the adjuster on the clutch lever. The picture shows it just butting up to it, so it's not being held in line correctly. Either the clutch lever ain't standard or the cable isn't. Not the end of the world, just needs a bit of fettling. F5 Dave should sort it out in 5 min flat but I'm happy to look at it if necessary.

Ixion
19th July 2009, 22:24
The ferrules, and thus adjusters come in several different sizes (not to mention Imperial and metric).

The pic shows a large ferrule (usually used on brake cables , though also found on heavy duty clutch cables) and a small (lightweight clutch) adjuster.

Ms Piggy
20th July 2009, 09:30
The clutch cable outer has a metal ferrule on the end, that should fit inside the adjuster on the clutch lever. The picture shows it just butting up to it, so it's not being held in line correctly. Either the clutch lever ain't standard or the cable isn't.

Yeah I know, that's why I re-routed the clutch cable around the front of the choke but now my little choke is getting choked. Hmmmmmm, I'll have a bit more of a muck about and see what I can do...

Hi Cathy, there should be adjustment at the other end of the cable.

If you have any drama flick us a text & bring it round I can check the routing (that's routing you internerd saddos:bleh:), I can just about work on things now.
Yeah we did have a fiddle with that. I may need to pop round and visit you in your ailing/recovering state.

Thanks again dudes!