PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of advice needed

86GSXR
28th June 2009, 18:41
Hi

I'm stripping down my old 86 GSXR 750 G with the aim of getting onto the track sometime soon :yes:

I got most of the non essentials off today and noticed a pretty widespread oil leak coming from the front of the engine.

She turns over OK and I'm fairly confident she'll run OK as most of the other systems seem in reasonable nick.

Would anyone have any idea what the oil issue may be and what sort of work would be needed to fix it? Blown gaskets or something more sinister?

Any advice much appreciated :yes:

KiwiKat
28th June 2009, 20:00
I got most of the non essentials off today and noticed a pretty widespread oil leak coming from the front of the engine. She turns over OK ...

Advice! Gee Al, lucky I'm around to give advice then. If you turn your bike OVER the leak should stop, if not turn it around then the leak will be at the back.:done:

But since I know nothing useful I'll leave it to the experts.

dogsnbikes
28th June 2009, 20:25
Hi

I'm stripping down my old 86 GSXR 750 G with the aim of getting onto the track sometime soon :yes:

I got most of the non essentials off today and noticed a pretty widespread oil leak coming from the front of the engine.

She turns over OK and I'm fairly confident she'll run OK as most of the other systems seem in reasonable nick.

Would anyone have any idea what the oil issue may be and what sort of work would be needed to fix it? Blown gaskets or something more sinister?

first move is give it a bloody good clean mate,then we will get in there with the grinder and remove that 4th cylinder

looks like you have a small oil leak out of the Cam cover rubber seal but hard too tell until you clean it up and have her run for a while....and has it been 2 years since I gave her a decent thrashing thru the Mangawekas :innocent:

pete376403
28th June 2009, 23:21
Rev counter driven off the exhaust cam? If anything like the 2 valve GS motors, they leak like a sieve from there.

edit - these things are oil cooled aren't they? Leak in the oil radiator or hoses? Get some degreaser from Supercheap ($2.50 a can or thereabouts, clean it up and start it, the source of the leak should become obvious.

YellowDog
28th June 2009, 23:25
first move is give it a bloody good clean mate,then we will get in there with the grinder and remove that 4th cylinder

looks like you have a small oil leak out of the Cam cover rubber seal but hard too tell until you clean it up and have her run for a while....and has it been 2 years since I gave her a decent thrashing thru the Mangawekas :innocent:
Yes that's good advice.

Looking at the age of the bike, you may as well strip it down and relace all of the gaskets and seals right through.

I'd avoid those oil leaks if you're going to be on atrack. The others won't like you. :o

86GSXR
29th June 2009, 09:23
Thanks for the advice chaps :yes: Yep, a good clean will be the best way to start. And speaking of, I'd better whip the plugs out and give them a good cleanup too. That may be all she needs to at least start up again. Yes Baz, it has been two years at least, a lot has happened eh (we'll leave the grinder alone tho I think lol) :shutup:

dogsnbikes
29th June 2009, 09:32
lets see if you can get her as clean as the daytona...you have access to water blaster and alot of degreaser AL?

but since you want to hit the track on the beast you may as well spend the time on getting her oil tight

Hans
29th June 2009, 23:36
Thanks for the advice chaps :yes: Yep, a good clean will be the best way to start. And speaking of, I'd better whip the plugs out and give them a good cleanup too. That may be all she needs to at least start up again. Yes Baz, it has been two years at least, a lot has happened eh (we'll leave the grinder alone tho I think lol) :shutup:

Hullo,

Most likely cam cover gasket. From memory about 80$ new. The problem is changing it. Be VERY wary of stripping out the cam cover bolts and the bolts that attach the oil line on the back side of the cam cover. This tends to happen for no apparent reason WAY BEFORE you get anywhere near the prescribed torque settings. I also have the workshop manual. Also PM me and pop in for a visit. Mine's in pieces in the garage at the moment. Again. But a lot has changed since I last saw you. I did a full rebuild on the engine with a God-level engineer mate of mine, so I'd say I know the engine intimately.

86GSXR
30th June 2009, 21:08
lets see if you can get her as clean as the daytona...you have access to water blaster and alot of degreaser AL?

but since you want to hit the track on the beast you may as well spend the time on getting her oil tight

Hullo,

Most likely cam cover gasket. From memory about 80$ new. The problem is changing it. Be VERY wary of stripping out the cam cover bolts and the bolts that attach the oil line on the back side of the cam cover. This tends to happen for no apparent reason WAY BEFORE you get anywhere near the prescribed torque settings. I also have the workshop manual. Also PM me and pop in for a visit. Mine's in pieces in the garage at the moment. Again. But a lot has changed since I last saw you. I did a full rebuild on the engine with a God-level engineer mate of mine, so I'd say I know the engine intimately.

Cool! And gidday Hans, long time alright, all good I trust :yes:

Yep, I have a Haynes manual, very useful.

Well I've got the degreaser all ready to go. I thought I'd take out the plugs and clean them which would at least give it a fighting chance of starting. But you know what? Farked if I can find a plug spanner which will reach down into the plug barrels. I'll need to track one of these down before I can progress to starting and checking the source of the leak.

I will be very careful with the cam cover if that's the culprit!

Here's the state of play at this moment.

Hans
30th June 2009, 22:09
I have a special RangiTool for the plugs in my posession. Are you still in Palmy? I go up there every Thursday.

86GSXR
30th June 2009, 22:15
That would be a great help. What time do you get here? I'm working 1100 til 7.30.

dogsnbikes
1st July 2009, 07:54
Your Daytona should fit Al.......what size plugs 5/8ths?

86GSXR
1st July 2009, 10:23
I believe so, and good thinking. The Daytona tool kit is at ANZA right now but I should get it back very soon.

dogsnbikes
2nd July 2009, 15:08
I believe so, and good thinking. The Daytona tool kit is at ANZA right now but I should get it back very soon.

Oh really Would hate too think how much they going to charge you to service your tool

kit:shutup:

86GSXR
2nd July 2009, 15:22
I'll find out in an hour :spanking: :sweatdrop Picking it up then. Finally tracked down a socket that fits from an engineer at work! Repco 18mm RT17 18. TFFT! Will replace plugs today and see if she starts............ Thanks to all who lent various socket fittings, I'll drop em back real soon :yes:

Drew
2nd July 2009, 15:22
Looks like it's seeping from the base gasket, and maybe the crack cases. (It's always hard to tell because the oil spreads as it comes out.

If it is either of those two sources, dont worry about it, heaps of those motors do it and run fine forever. Give it a clean, then take it out and thrash the ring off it. When ya get home, it will become apparent.

86GSXR
2nd July 2009, 15:27
Marvelous! I'm pleased to know there is hope for the old warhorse yet. I'm looking forward to doing that and should have her in at least a running state soon :niceone:

Owl
2nd July 2009, 17:37
I'll find out in an hour :spanking: :sweatdrop Picking it up then. Finally tracked down a socket that fits from an engineer at work! Repco 18mm RT17 18. TFFT! Will replace plugs today and see if she starts............ Thanks to all who lent various socket fittings, I'll drop em back real soon :yes:

Ah then the oddball one I've got would've fitted. It was way to big for the Trumpy and wouldn't get down the hole.:no:

Let me know if you need anything else, as there's a good chance I'll have it. I'm a bit of a tool slut.:o

ynot slow
2nd July 2009, 18:23
Remember 4 sparkplugs eh not the usual 3 you're used too.

Drew
2nd July 2009, 18:32
Funny you should say that, my GSXR1100, used to be real buzzy, when I stripped the motor out of it, I found one of the leads on ly sitting atop the plug.

If it's not running at all, I would imagine more than spark plugs the issue. If it has sat for ages, settle in for a night of carb cleaing:yes:

86GSXR
2nd July 2009, 18:37
Ah then the oddball one I've got would've fitted. It was way to big for the Trumpy and wouldn't get down the hole.:no:

Let me know if you need anything else, as there's a good chance I'll have it. I'm a bit of a tool slut.:o

Tool sluts are good Al lol. I went to Repco to get one for keeps, it looked virtually the same but won't fit! Still, I'll use the borrowed one for now.

Tested for a spark with brand new plug but zilch. Looks like I'll be taking out and cleaning the ignition coils now. May have to replace em.......

Funny you should say that, my GSXR1100, used to be real buzzy, when I stripped the motor out of it, I found one of the leads on ly sitting atop the plug.

If it's not running at all, I would imagine more than spark plugs the issue. If it has sat for ages, settle in for a night of carb cleaing:yes:

That's on the list, tracking down the no spark issue coming up soon!

Repco had 4 and I'll be returning the plug socket tomorrow :yes:

Drew
2nd July 2009, 18:44
That's on the list, tracking down the no spark issue coming up soon!

If it's not something obvious, and it's been down on the right hand side, check the pulse generators under the small side casing on the end of the crank. If there is no obvious damage, I cant tell ya how to check them, cos I dont know.

86GSXR
2nd July 2009, 21:59
She's sparking! I'd disconnected the IC ignitor loom on Sunday thinking it was something else, reconnected it, and she's now got a good strong spark. I'll clean up all the electrical components and replace all 4 plugs so I know that systems all good.

Had a closer look at the oil leak and it looks as though one of the oil feed lines by No 3 cylinder has worked loose which I didn't get on camera. Looks like this may not be so bad afterall.

Still a lot of tidying on the cards. She'll look real good clean and I gotta say these Gixxers are very well put together :cool:

Edit. Actually, I did get it on camera. Pic no 4 on the first post. Directly underneath No 4 cyl exhaust outlet you can see a small discoloured section of oil line connector that ought to be inside the entry point. I'll investigate and sort it.

And lot's of nasty looking gum on the carbs :pinch:

86GSXR
3rd July 2009, 16:22
Just gave her a degrease and clean, looks much better and not as bad as I first thought. Got my own socket too so that will make life easier :yes: Pics show the source of what I think is the main leak.

Owl
3rd July 2009, 16:34
What the hell is that pipe?:confused:

vifferman
3rd July 2009, 16:36
Repco had 4 and I'll be returning the plug socket tomorrow :yes:
Speaking of Repco and sparkplugs - after striking out at Cycletreads for plugs, I rang Repco, just to see if they had bike sparkplugs.
"Yeah, we have a few; what do you need?"
"CR9EH-9."
"Hmmmmm... we've only got one of those. We'd have to order some in."
"Well, while you're doing that, how much are the iridium ones?"
It turned out their price for these was around the same as the guy at Cycletreads quoted me for standard plugs, so I ordered some, and less than 2 hours later, they phoned back to say they were in.

Owl
3rd July 2009, 16:45
Speaking of Repco and sparkplugs - after striking out at Cycletreads for plugs, I rang Repco, just to see if they had bike sparkplugs.
"CR9EH-9."
It turned out their price for these was around the same as the guy at Cycletreads quoted me for standard plugs, so I ordered some, and less than 2 hours later, they phoned back to say they were in.

Just out of curiousity, what did you pay for the Iridiums?

NZsarge
3rd July 2009, 17:19

Would'nt do that, if you did you'd end up with something really weird and odd ball... :laugh:

(we'll leave the grinder alone tho I think lol)[/SIZE]
Wise choice :niceone: Looks like you're prgressing slowly but surely, nice work mate.

86GSXR
3rd July 2009, 17:49
What the hell is that pipe?:confused:

It appears to be an oil feed to the head Al. Remembering these Gixxers were totally oil and air cooled and they had to get the amber stuff to all parts of the motor. That way they could eliminate the need for water cooling and the associated hardware and weight. Which is one reason why they were so revolutionary at the time. I've got to examine that feed and see how it goes back into it's proper fitting, it shouldn't be out like that (got your socket here too, thanks) :yes:

"CR9EH-9."

I've got to say I've been impressed with Repco too. I've just got back from picking up my spark plug socket which they ferried over from Feilding, then rang me two hours later to tell me it was here. The standard plugs were $6.70each :yes:

Would'nt do that, if you did you'd end up with something really weird and odd ball... :laugh:

Wise choice :niceone: Looks like you're prgressing slowly but surely, nice work mate.

Cheers Sarge, she's looking good after a clean up! Next thing will be to get the carbs off, strip and clean em up. She won't fire but I'm going to clean the ignition coils soon as well, must get a multi meter. Amazing how easy it is to get at things with no tank or bodywork getting in the way. Could even get Barry's grinder in there now I reckon :niceone:

ynot slow
3rd July 2009, 18:07
Have multi -meter if you want.

Good detective work me thinks.Easy to see with pics in daylight,not a bad hunch.

86GSXR
3rd July 2009, 18:13
Much easier eh, and I'm pretty sure that's the main culprit! MM could be handy until I get to the MM shop :yes:

ynot slow
3rd July 2009, 18:23
Wasn't quite the part/place I initially thought but was around the area,thought the pipe was smaller lol,will drop MM off asap.

86GSXR
3rd July 2009, 18:26
Sweet! Yep, much easier in daylight eh, should be interesting seeing how it fits back in. Thanks :yes:

ynot slow
3rd July 2009, 18:28
Sweet! Yep, much easier in daylight eh, should be interesting seeing how it fits back in. Thanks :yes:

Ya want to put it back together,heeeeelp,guys Houston we have a problem.:Oops:

dogsnbikes
3rd July 2009, 18:28
Could even get Barry's grinder in there now I reckon :niceone:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: I will bring it over tomorrow since we will be in Palmy:innocent: Im getting rather good at grinding things of bikes:shutup:

86GSXR
3rd July 2009, 18:31
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: I will bring it over tomorrow since we will be in Palmy:innocent: Im getting rather good at grinding things of bikes:shutup:

OK, just don't bring the plug :doh: :lol: What time you gonna be here, check her out maybe :yes:

Ya want to put it back together,heeeeelp,guys Houston we have a problem.:Oops:

Nah, she'll be right lol

dogsnbikes
3rd July 2009, 18:32
We will give you a buzz when in town...........

86GSXR
3rd July 2009, 18:34
Sweet, be good to catch up :yes: (ok, bring the grinder, more weight saving :lol:)

NZsarge
3rd July 2009, 23:43
Could even get Barry's grinder in there now I reckon :niceone:

Don't do that, that'd just ruin it...

86GSXR
4th July 2009, 08:53
I concur :yes: The sparks may be better on the inside of the cylinders :laugh: Speaking of, I'm just about to take out the coils, clean em up, replace the (4) plugs and try and start her with fresh fuel........

Drew
4th July 2009, 09:51
If you haven't cleaned ou the carbs, I suggest just draining the old fuel out of them if it seems reluctant to fire.

mouldy
4th July 2009, 13:51
If its been sitting for years the carbs will need cleaning , the easiest way to get them on and off is pull out the air cleaner and put your hand in the airbox and pull the boots that go on the carbs back into the airbox, , the throttle cable is a pain to get back on though , I had one of these for years , just ride it like a 2 stroke and they go pretty quick .

86GSXR
4th July 2009, 15:02
If you haven't cleaned ou the carbs, I suggest just draining the old fuel out of them if it seems reluctant to fire.

If its been sitting for years the carbs will need cleaning , the easiest way to get them on and off is pull out the air cleaner and put your hand in the airbox and pull the boots that go on the carbs back into the airbox, , the throttle cable is a pain to get back on though , I had one of these for years , just ride it like a 2 stroke and they go pretty quick .

Cheers guys. This mornings story below :yes:

Had quite a good session. Coils and connectors out and cleaned. Covered in years of grime as to be expected. Drained carbs, not a pretty sight, looked like 10 year old port lol.

Replaced plugs and put some fresh fuel into the tank. Used a jumper pack to assist the battery. After a fair bit of cranking the farkin positive lead on the jumper pack caught fire as in my focus on starting I failed to notice the lead had shorted against the frame :shit:

Whipped it off and extinguished fire.

Back to the bike, a bit of nursing and she fired up beautifully!

Ran her for awhile, sounds good :yes:

Good to see Cowboyz, Meanie, Dog's and Mel and kids for a consultation at various points :yes:

mossy1200
4th July 2009, 15:23
Awsome another post classic senior.
Keep an eye on this auction if your into spares bike and wets wheels.He has 1989 listed but it looks to be 86 by the wheels etc.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=225993950

Gaskets can go if the breather is blocked for the engine which will need to be removed from airbox and go into catch bottle.

86GSXR
4th July 2009, 15:35
Thanks for that. That's the early frame and engine alright. Looking forward to getting out there, will have a good look at the rulebook soon :yes: :niceone:

mossy1200
4th July 2009, 15:51
Thanks for that. That's the early frame and engine alright. Looking forward to getting out there, will have a good look at the rulebook soon :yes: :niceone:

Rulz for pre89 not severe.5.5inch rear max 3.5front.You cant change front forks from another model unless the suzuki race bikes in or before 89 used them and you can prove it.assume your tyres are 18inch so you want gpra10s unless you do wheel swaps.If your not trying to retro fit new parts built after 89 then your fairly ok.If you start winning we gunna check it inch by inch.LOL
Garage 12 at Manfield this year.Call in
http://www.mnz.co.nz/ race licence etc
http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/download/Chapter_25_Post_Classic_Road_Racing.pdf post classic rules
You will need club membership (vic club etc)before you can get race licence.

Cheers Steve

86GSXR
4th July 2009, 16:12
Cheers Steve. Very helpful advice there, huge thanks :yes: I doubt if I'll start winning but if I do I'll make sure the bike is clean lol. Garage 12, sweet :D

Al

mossy1200
4th July 2009, 16:41
Cheers Steve. Very helpful advice there, huge thanks :yes: I doubt if I'll start winning but if I do I'll make sure the bike is clean lol. Garage 12, sweet :D

AlSee ya there Al.Its my second year only so still learning myself but the posties is awsume fun without huge budget required.
Must hide nitro bottle very well and only use it on back straight.LOL
Mostly fzrs and gsxrs in seniors.Martin Peck who races 7/11 will know more about you engine than your parts manual does.Intro yourself to him for advice when your there to find some cheep ponies.
Your biggest improve would be 17inch wheels at some point.
Assume your is the 106hp model and the 1986 version is super light so should be weapon on the long track and through the infield.

86GSXR
5th July 2009, 09:50
Magic Steve. Yep, I'm just looking to have a bit of fun on the track, nothing too hardcore lol. Extra ponies will always be good and I'm taking off every non essential item I can find. Yep, I think mine is 106 HP, but I read 96 somewhere. The engine sounded good yesterday and I'll go round and check all the engine bolts to see if any have worked loose. Hopefully the oil will stay put. I know Martin and he's kindly offered to take a look, his machine is a weapon alright :yes: