PDA

View Full Version : Who wears flip-up helmets: likes, dislikes?

junkmanjoe
29th June 2009, 21:16
Hello all

im looking to up grade my old road bike helmet,
its getting a bit drafty,

ive been wondering about theses flp up ones.
just looking for riders thoughts.
brands, to look for.

1 other thing are you guys and gals getting told to remove helmets before entering gas stations.

other day i was told off for sitting on my bike while fulling it, with engine off.

cheers
JMJ

p.dath
29th June 2009, 21:21
Before buying any helmet check out the SHARP safety rating. Try and get a 4 or 5 star helmet.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

p.dath
29th June 2009, 21:22

1 other thing are you guys and gals getting told to remove helmets before entering gas stations.

I always take mine off straight away. Other people find it intimidating when they can't see your face. It doesn't help the image for bikers in general if the public feel intimidated by us.

P38
29th June 2009, 21:25
I ride with a Nolan N-102.

Easy to put on an get off.

Less noise than some of the other helmets I own.

Fits really nice.

Has a Bluetooth Dongle and Mic and Speaker kit fitted too.

Best thing is to go try one and see how it suits you.

BTW I've never been asked to remove my helmet at a gas station.

But then I dont dress like I'm about to rob it either.

Bend-it
29th June 2009, 21:28
I wear a flipface... Great for me 'coz I wear glasses, and I just flip it up at petrol stations, never had anyone tell me to take the helmet off as they can admire my handsome face no problems...

One slightly annoying thing with my Nolan N102 is with the sun visor on the outside, I get a whistling noise if I look up from wind between the edge of the visor and the outside of the helmet. Nothing serious though...

Happy with it, would get another one when this one dies...

junkmanjoe
29th June 2009, 21:33
okies, going to try a few out,
im more worried about them opening in the event of a had hit, how are they fastened closed.

CookMySock
29th June 2009, 21:37
are you guys and gals getting told to remove helmets before entering gas stations.Yep. You should take your helmet off in shops of any sort, unless they know you really well, and then you probably should anyway.

other day i was told off for sitting on my bike while fulling it, with engine off.Yeah, thats coz its' dangerous. If you have a fire you won't be able to get out of the way quickly enough, and it will burn your cock off.

Steve

p.dath
The Nolan N102 has a 4 star rating which is good. If you examine the test result:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/details/?id=119

It says:
Percentage of impacts where the chin guard remained fully locked: 100%

So you can feel reasonably safe in this area.

steve_t
I have an FFM K4 Flip up. It's good cos I can put on glasses if I'm too lazy to put contacts in. Tool-less interchangeable visors is sweet.
Wind noise is pretty hefty, hence wearing earphones with music (yes I know there was a thread recently that had more people not listening to music while they ride). Also I think the mechanism makes it pretty heavy.
After buying the helmet and being on this forum for a bit, I was a bit concerned to see the Sharp ratings showing "System" aka flip helmets and the number where the chin part didn't stay locked in place in the impact test :eek5: I'm not sure how they test it but it is a bit of a concern... though my helmet was not in the list

Taz
29th June 2009, 21:41
I have the shoei Multitech. Love it.

junkmanjoe
29th June 2009, 21:45
and it will burn your cock off.
Steve

yes i under stand the reasons for this and because of the gas station hold ups e.t.c.
was asking for others thought on the maters.

junkmanjoe
29th June 2009, 21:48
I have an FFM K4 Flip up. It's good cos I can put on glasses if I'm too lazy to put contacts in. Tool-less interchangeable visors is sweet.
Wind noise is pretty hefty, hence wearing earphones with music (yes I know there was a thread recently that had more people not listening to music while they ride). Also I think the mechanism makes it pretty heavy.
After buying the helmet and being on this forum for a bit, I was a bit concerned to see the Sharp ratings showing "System" aka flip helmets and the number where the chin part didn't stay locked in place in the impact test :eek5: I'm not sure how they test it but it is a bit of a concern... though my helmet was not in the list

i tryed i pod with my helmet, just an arse, couldnt hear the music very well and hurt like a bitch when i took the helmet off, ear pieces..

this is my biggest concern, open on impact...

oldrider
29th June 2009, 21:56
Hello all

im looking to up grade my old road bike helmet,
its getting a bit drafty,

ive been wondering about theses flp up ones.
just looking for riders thoughts.
brands, to look for.

other day i was told off for sitting on my bike while fulling it, with engine off.

cheers
JMJ

Ever accidently spill petrol when filling your tank?

Faulty filling equipment etc, it all goes down onto your hot engine!

My gonads may be past their peak in value but I still think the pain of burning them alive would be more than I could stand!

Straddling a hot bike and filling it has to be the dumbest thing imaginable, in my book! (no offence intended)

BMW flip front helmets are not worth buying, I have had two sets and both fell to pieces long before they should have.

The glue let go and all the innards fell out, slipped down over my eyes in the Lindis pass at very inappropriate velocity!

One BMW flip front released and filled my face with gravel during an off, which left me less than impressed with them!

I currently use a Nolan flip front and it has outlasted BMW by miles.

I probably will replace the current helmet with another Nolan so I guess that must say something for customer satisfaction.

Nolan fastenings are pretty user friendly too and their pin lock anti fog, while not absolutely perfect, are the best thing that I have ever experienced!

I have been into bank wearing my helmet with the front up without getting kicked out but they did know who I was

Have never been asked to take it off but then I am skinny, old and probably considered not much of a threat.

I don't frequent cities too much either so not a very good test case I suppose.

Your question, my reply, hope it is of some help. :yes:

ducatilover
29th June 2009, 21:58
I do, I think it is great. I don't loose my glasses putting it on :yes:

Muppet
29th June 2009, 22:08
I wear a Schuberth C3 helmet on my 'other' bike and previously wore the C2 flip up helmet. They are both fantastic but are poles apart. The C2 is your typical flip up helmet, big and heavy but loaded with features. The C3 is a revelation, light with a sporty look to it. It has a built in separate sun visor and a pin lock visor which means the helmet doesn't (I've tried) fog up. Both helmets are super-quiet and very comfortable. I think they cost around $800 to $900. I hear good things about the Nolan 102 and 103 too by the way.

Subike
29th June 2009, 22:08
I have a HJC flip front.
I also wear glasses which was the primary reason to purchase the helmet.
I find it to be a bit noisier than a std full face, but nothing that Ear plugs cant handle. No problems with removing at gass sattions, just flip the front. Never been asked to remove it yet. but thats down here in the south.
The only thing that I dont like about it ism that it has the snap clip chin strap rather than the double d rins normally found on helments. Dont buy it if it has therse. The Clip lock is the weak point. it comes loose so I am having to adjust it every time I remove the helmet, It slides on its adjuster when being worn by the wind pressure pushing the helmet, At the next update I will get another flip top, but one with the double d ring chin strap.
Other than this ,now I prefer them over the full face any day.

NordieBoy
29th June 2009, 22:10
I've got a Zeus flippy that was great (and cheap) but mostly retired now and a KBC FFR flippy thats pretty comfortable and puts the lie to the Nolan Ad that says "We have the only dual pivot flippy helmet" or somesuch.

I like them for the convienence factor but if I know I'm not going to be stopping all the time I'll wear my Zeus 2100B adventure helmet with the peak.

If it's a slow ride with a group of geriactrics I'll wear my open face.

Molly
29th June 2009, 22:11
I bought two of these flip-up lids last year whilst overseas. Started with a Vemar but had to return it to the dealer when the lining all but fell apart. Then bought a Caberg. It's a nice enough lid but the wind noise would drive you insane. It has an integral visor which is bloody handy and much better all round vision than my one-piece AGV.

Ultimately though, I'm not convinced it'd be up to much in an accident. Anyway, I've stopped wearing it. It'll do as a spare.

junkmanjoe
29th June 2009, 22:20
all good comments.

i remove my self from my bike to fill, as from being told off.

to save my nuts....

will do some home work on the skid lids...

thanks all for imput.

as you were..

Woody2
29th June 2009, 22:32
all good comments.

i remove my self from my bike to fill, as from being told off.

to save my nuts....

will do some home work on the skid lids...

thanks all for imput.

as you were..

Hi JMJ,

I use this site quite a bit for gear reviews and brought my helmet based on their review and after trying it out etc but pretty good info & interesting- scroll down they have a section on flip ups.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

MarkH
30th June 2009, 09:31
I have a Nolan N-103 and I think it is a really good helmet. It has an internal sun visor that you can raise or lower while riding - I would like to avoid buying any helmet in the future if it doesn't have this feature! Recently I was suffering from a bad cold and went for a ride - felt a sneeze coming and flipped the front of my helmet up - bloody brilliant! I also stopped at the roadside at one point, flipped the front up, got out a hanky and blew my nose. I have also been about to ride when my cellphone rings, I flip up the front and put the cellphone on speaker then I can have a normal phone conversation quite easily. The Nolan has the sliding strap thingy rather than the D-rings - much better and I really like them.

Overall I really like the flip front helmets, but would avoid the really cheap ones (and maybe the BMW ones too).

Taz
30th June 2009, 10:02
I can vouch for the effectiveness of the shoei's venting. It works and the visor always remains fog free. Also has the pinlock system with it as standard but I have yet to need to use mine. Worn on 2 very wet Rusty GC's and no fogging issues.

Badjelly
30th June 2009, 10:21
I have a KBC FEC flip-face, size XL, cost about $400. I wasn't looking for a flip-face specifically, but it was the only helmet I could find in Wellington that fitted my large, somewhat oddly-shaped head. (Let's just say that my head has a relatively low aerodynamic drag for its size.) Wind noise is high and at 1750 g it's heavy, though the size is a factor there obviously. The flip-face facility is very handy, but after bending the mechanism I got a bit concerned about its robustness, so now I leave the front locked down and use the helmet as a full-face.

While the flip-face concept is good, for a given price you're going to be sacrificing lightness, quietness, robustness and/or protection. Perhaps if you pay enough money, you can get something that's good on all counts.

I probably won't buy another flip-face (unless I can't find a full-face that fits).

PS: The FEC looks very similar to the FFR, described here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/kbc-helmet/

but with a plastic hinging & latching mechanism. (It looks like metal, the salesman said it was metal, but it isn't, at least I think it isn't.) Whatever, it bends rather easily, though once locked it seems secure.

duckonin
30th June 2009, 10:30
I have a HJC flip front.
I also wear glasses which was the primary reason to purchase the helmet.
I find it to be a bit noisier than a std full face, but nothing that Ear plugs cant handle. No problems with removing at gass sattions, just flip the front. Never been asked to remove it yet. but thats down here in the south.
The only thing that I dont like about it ism that it has the snap clip chin strap rather than the double d rins normally found on helments. Dont buy it if it has therse. The Clip lock is the weak point. it comes loose so I am having to adjust it every time I remove the helmet, It slides on its adjuster when being worn by the wind pressure pushing the helmet, At the next update I will get another flip top, but one with the double d ring chin strap.
Other than this ,now I prefer them over the full face any day.Hi Subike I had the same problem with the clip, so I set it where it should be then the wife put a couple of stiches in the strap no longer a problem.

junkmanjoe
30th June 2009, 10:30
so far the Nolan brand have had good reports over seas.
lock abitaly, strength, and sun visor, and extra add on's, com link, blue tooth, e.t.c

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Helmets/auction-226615599.htm

ill see if i can find one local, and shove it on my head...

Badjelly
30th June 2009, 10:35
I have a Nolan N-103 and I think it is a really good helmet...

From the webbikeworld review it sounds good, though heavy.

What do they cost?

Richi
30th June 2009, 10:55
i have a flip face its very handy putting it on and off because i have glasses. dont even need to take them off, i dont really want a full face helmet unless its a really good one

XP@
30th June 2009, 11:36
+ 1 for the N102 (without fancy blue tooth bits)
But... the sun visor would be better on the inside, you can't have the visor open and the sun shade down... on a hot day you boil or go blind.

I used to smoke and wear glasses, stopped doing both of those. But would not give up the flip up. and have never been asked to remove it (except once in pack and save so i went across to countdown.

I ride with a Nolan N-102.

Easy to put on an get off.

Less noise than some of the other helmets I own.

Fits really nice.

Has a Bluetooth Dongle and Mic and Speaker kit fitted too.

Best thing is to go try one and see how it suits you.

BTW I've never been asked to remove my helmet at a gas station.

But then I dont dress like I'm about to rob it either.

crazyhorse
30th June 2009, 12:22
I never take my helmet off at the service station - and I think I've only been asked to once in my 12 years! so no, I don't.

Flip helmets are for old people - or smokers. They probably have more parts that can break too

MarkH
30th June 2009, 12:28
From the webbikeworld review it sounds good, though heavy.

What do they cost?

Mine was $600 -10% (sale at Motomail) so it was $540.

the sun visor would be better on the inside, you can't have the visor open and the sun shade down... on a hot day you boil or go blind.

N-102 was OK in its day, but I think that the N-103 is much better - the internal sun visor is a lot better than the external one the N-102 has. I often ride with the visor up and the shade down. If you want to add the basic comms kit the N-102 is dual speaker mono whereas the N-103 kit is true stereo.

I think that the KBC & HJC being cheaper helmets are not the best to go for for a flip front helmet - my HJC normal helmet is OK but is simpler than a flip front so there is less to make badly (or too cheaply). Nolan is dearer and better. I wouldn't be surprised if Schuberth & Shoei aren't better again since they are even dearer.

So:
KBC & HJC - too cheap
Nolan - good value medium price
Shoei & Schuberth - good but expensive

I have spoken to more than one person with a KBC or HJC flip front that are not happy with their helmet - don't go too cheap and get something that isn't very good, especially if you are going to trust it to protect your head.

MarkH
30th June 2009, 12:33
Flip helmets are for old people - or smokers. They probably have more parts that can break too

I bought one because I liked the idea. Then for a while I wasn't bothering to flip it up ever and thought that the next time I needed a helmet I would definitely get an internal sun visor but wouldn't care about the flip front. Then I got a cold!

Have you ever sneezed while wearing a helmet? :sick:

A good well made flip front like Nolan or any of the dearer brands are unlikely to break. Sometimes you really do have a big advantage with a flip front even for a non-smoker like me.

mister.koz
30th June 2009, 13:01
I have had a shoei multitech, an aris (real cheap) and a kbc ffv (i think) the shoei and the kbc were both really comfy and great because i wear glasses.

The aris... well if you say it really fast it sounds like ARSE, nuff said.

The shoei - great but noisy and about the same price as the higher range non-flip lids around.

The kbc has titanium armatures so its not much heavier (200grams) than its non-folding counterpart. It does say on the front of the flip that "this helmet does not offer face protection in an accident".

The downsides to flip face helmets i have found:

The extra armatures make the helmet heavier and creakier
They are NOT as safe as solid helmets because they breach the shell
They are noisier because you have extra gaps and bits that create additional air friction
They are heavier because of all the extra bits (nominal)
As time goes on more parts means more wear (face slop)

The good thing for me is all about glasses, but after some time wearing face folding helmets for long rides at speed i am moving to a solid helmet (schuberth i reckon) mainly because of the sound argument :)

PS i hear the plugz4lugs (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=8783) earplug headphones are awesome.

i ALWAYS take my helmet off at shops, i think its courteous and i have talked to a good few servo attendants who force riders with helmets on to prepay rather than click the button to allow filling and others that make a point of asking riders to take their helmets off over the speaker. I reckon the quicker and easier i can get out of a servo the better!

hope this helps.

MD
30th June 2009, 14:00
Since I'm already a fan of Caberg, having their internal visor V2, I might go for this new flipup Caberg Trip when the time comes for a replacement. I like the look and the V2 has proven itself. Their internal sun visor works well, possibly the best shaped and easiest to use.

I try to remove my lid at gas stations some of the time but it's a pain in the arse in winter when you have a balaclava underneath, or you have carefully tucked a scarf into the lower helmet edges.

Sorry, can't find a still pic. to attach.

webbikeworld link here.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-trip/

mister.koz
30th June 2009, 14:02
Nice lookin helmet :) dunno about the colour tho :shutup:

NordieBoy
30th June 2009, 14:05

Old people just have brittle bones.

Ruralman
30th June 2009, 15:05
I have had an HJC flipper for the last few years and am getting close to replacing it. I have tried on a few and the one I like the most is actually the new HJC - the internal sunscreen is a good idea, but the thing that impressed me most was the internal cushioning around your ear. It felt very much like wearing a set of earmuffs (but I haven't ridden with it).
I use Plugz4Lugz with an MP3. ANy long trip on pretty well any helmet and you should wear plugs of some sort. I have tried a few non flippers and they weren't noticeably quieter than the HJC. SHrek has tried both the new HJC and new Shoei flippers and reckoned the Shoei was far noisier.
I always flip up the front at gas stations and have never been asked to remove it there but have been at a bank.
I comes down to fit and it may be that one brand just fits your head better than another - luckily for me the HJC fits well because its also not as expensive as some other big name brands

PrincessBandit
30th June 2009, 15:16
Balu really likes his Shoei Multitec and finds it really handy for his glasses. I'm pretty sure he often leaves it on too when going into pay for petrol (face flipped up) and has never been asked to remove it. He was looking on the Nolan site the other night and was very impressed with them too - if he had to ever replace the Shoei he would be quite tempted to go the Nolan way.
p.s. he was a bit surprised that the multitec didn't score as well as my Shark in the Sharp ratings.

yungatart
30th June 2009, 15:47
I have an HJC flip front. I love it cos it doesn't munt my glasses! Helme twas cheap, glasses were not ($4 short of a grand!)

junkmanjoe
30th June 2009, 16:03
while i was looking on the helmet testing web site.

they where talking about side flex, so i went out and got my helmet, and mate, its got some good side flex.

YellowDog
30th June 2009, 16:15
The Nolan N102 has a 4 star rating which is good. If you examine the test result:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/details/?id=119

It says:
Percentage of impacts where the chin guard remained fully locked: 100%

So you can feel reasonably safe in this area.
Yep I got a N-102 too.

Once you get used to a Flip-Face helmet you won't change back.

Next helmet will be an N-103.

PrincessBandit
30th June 2009, 16:21
Btw, Shark do a flip face - the Evoline. Might be worth having a look at as the front visor can flip right up over the top of the helmet while chin guard stays in place. Think you can have the sun visor down while the clear one is up.....would have to double check on that.

Katman
30th June 2009, 16:49
Video of the Shark Evoline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVyIE-XmdMY