PDA

View Full Version : Beemer mirror stolen!

geoffm
26th March 2005, 11:14
Some 'kin lowlife stole the RHS mirror/ indicator assembly on the BMW on Thursday (sometime between 9am and 2 pm). I was supposed to have a lockup garage, but the landlord pissed off to Adelaide for a week. Dimbulb brother couldn't find the key (the one marked "garage") so the bike was sitting outside for 4 days until landlord comes back. Get the key off him thursday morning, cycle off to uni as I was running late so put it away when I come back. Back at 2, and the mirror has gone! :angry2:
The BMWs use a proprietry (of course) combo handshield, indicator and mirror unit, which is not available aftermarket. It clips on so they come off in a bingle rather than breaking your arms as you fly over the top, and a good knock will make them fall off. If someone knocked it off, why couldn't they leave the damn thing on the seat or something. I am guessing this will be a $500 fix (+ painting at how many $$$?) - and no WOF without one either.
Bloody scum.
Looking around at Motobins (UK), Bobs BMW spares (US), Siebenrock (Germany). for a laugh, I emailed the Auckland agents - although NZ parts prices are usually 30+% higher than the same thing listed overseas. Suggestions appreciated
..and thus endeth the rant for today...
Geoff

onearmedbandit
26th March 2005, 11:28
Words defy me. I've come to work before to find wiper blades stolen off cars. If it isn't nailed down, oh no they'll just take whatever its nailed to. Scum.

Milky
27th March 2005, 14:32
I will ask the old man who he suggests you go to. What year is the bike? We have a fair few bits, but mostly for the original R series.

geoffm
27th March 2005, 15:39
I will ask the old man who he suggests you go to. What year is the bike? We have a fair few bits, but mostly for the original R series.

It is a K100RS-16v- 1994. As far as I can tell, all the mirrors are the same for the K100RS series from c1986 to the K1100 finished around 1996-7. Colour is Yukka Green - like a really dark british racing green, if there is a colour choice.
Still bloody steaming how a series of events conspired against me, and also how some little toad thinks this is funny. Not as if they could have got in trouble for knocking it off - no one saw anything anyway.
There is a kit in the US (listed at Bobs BMW spares) that ties the mirror assembly onto the bike with a hidden stainless wire. Guess what I will be doing.
Geoff

Ixion
27th March 2005, 17:49
What a pain. Not even as if it would be of any value to whoever took it. I suppose you looked all around in case the dipwad threw it away . :angry2:

Having the indicator built into it really stuffs you I guess :angry2: Technically you can't even us ethe bike without it . :brick: On mine the mirror is similarly detachable, but is a mirror only . If the mirror were knocked off or broken I could (short term anyway) just mount a handlebar clamp mirror.

My commiserations

Riff Raff
28th March 2005, 03:06
What a bugger Geoff. Nothing is sacred to the many assholes who abound. Good luck in getting a replacement.

igor
28th March 2005, 07:31
Some 'kin lowlife stole the RHS mirror/ indicator assembly on the BMW on Thursday (sometime between 9am and 2 pm). I was supposed to have a lockup garage, but the landlord pissed off to Adelaide for a week. Dimbulb brother couldn't find the key (the one marked "garage") so the bike was sitting outside for 4 days until landlord comes back. Get the key off him thursday morning, cycle off to uni as I was running late so put it away when I come back. Back at 2, and the mirror has gone! :angry2:
The BMWs use a proprietry (of course) combo handshield, indicator and mirror unit, which is not available aftermarket. It clips on so they come off in a bingle rather than breaking your arms as you fly over the top, and a good knock will make them fall off. If someone knocked it off, why couldn't they leave the damn thing on the seat or something. I am guessing this will be a $500 fix (+ painting at how many $$$?) - and no WOF without one either.
Bloody scum.
Looking around at Motobins (UK), Bobs BMW spares (US), Siebenrock (Germany). for a laugh, I emailed the Auckland agents - although NZ parts prices are usually 30+% higher than the same thing listed overseas. Suggestions appreciated
..and thus endeth the rant for today...
Geoff

ring or go to a few bmw shops. talk to tghe mechanics

ya never no wot they got lying around afetr a crash repair

or go to holeshot and see jamie in parts. he got a bit of bmw shit stashed from when they was a bmw dealer. u will be surprised what he may have second hand. i got all the gs stuff tehehehe

geoffm
30th March 2005, 07:28
Well, the price for a new replacement is $429 in NZ from Hamilton MC (Experience BMW in AUckland haven't got back to me yet, but I imagine it will be the same price) The price in the US is $US230-250, or around $NZ320-350 plus freight (and maybe GST), so it not really worthwhile getting one from overseas in this case.
Second hand ones seem to be made from unobtainium. Since they always get damaged in a crash, they are in demand and none of the usual sources around the world seem to have any second hand. Missed out on a damaged one on Ebay a couple of days ago.
Give it a couple more days, then bend over as I need it for the WOF.
Geoff