PDA

View Full Version : Weaving on the road.

Laava
1st July 2009, 23:41
Just finished rebuilding an old 86 gpz600ninja. Anyway while test riding it today, on a greasy road, it was moving from side to side a bit. It didn't feel right to me, but I have never owned a sport bike and have ridden very few. I thought it might be a flat tyre but no, and I checked alignment and that was OK too. Other than the obvious checking the axles are all tight, I am at a bit of a loss as to why it would do that. I have disconnected the anti-dive, but otherwise all std. Also it was quite windy today but I have ridden heaps in the wind before and don't think it is that.
Any ideas, or things I could check and or try? TIA

CookMySock
2nd July 2009, 08:19
The tyres are new aren't they?

It is possible you are just not used to the twitchy steering, but hands-off it should track straight and true. If I am a bit bleary-eyed in the morning I have known to get a good weave on. ;)

I'd get someone experienced to ride it for you, or else put the bike on a stand and check its steering head bearings for play.

Steve

Mom
2nd July 2009, 08:20
Tyre pressures ok?

NighthawkNZ
2nd July 2009, 08:38
All of the above... also check steering head, and wheel bearings

SVboy
2nd July 2009, 09:32
Tyre pressures,wheel balance,bent rim,head bearings,frame bent,swing arm bearings,fork seals,fork fluid levels uneven, other fork issues....or a combo of these. Shame, as you have done such a nice job.

Big Dave
2nd July 2009, 11:19
Not another weaving thread!

Big Dave
2nd July 2009, 11:21
Tyre pressures,wheel balance,bent rim,head bearings,frame bent,swing arm bearings,fork seals,fork fluid levels uneven, other fork issues....or a combo of these.

+ Wheel alignment or (rare these days) mismatched tyres. Steering head bearing common though.

Laava
2nd July 2009, 16:35
OK thanks all. Has new matching tyres, balanced and I watched so I know the rim is true. Wondering if the head bearings are over tight? The bike does go straight as an arrow hands of at say 60kph, maybe I need to HTFU and try it at 100kph for a comparison. Tyre pressures are good too so I hope it is just me being a bit precious:yes: Might try removing the actual anti-dive slave cyls in case one is seized on? Should'a checked before huh?

scracha
2nd July 2009, 16:38
Had a GPX600 before mate and the 16" wheels (front and back) made it turn very quickly but on wet/greasy roads it takes a LOT of getting used to as the steering is stupidly twitchy.

Oversized or worn rear tyre made it a lot worse too.

quickbuck
2nd July 2009, 17:04
Wondering if the head bearings are over tight?

My dollar is on this.......

AllanB
2nd July 2009, 17:08
Head bearing is my guess or do you have a steering damper fitted? If so wind it back to minimum or remove it and see if it fixes the weave (after checking head bearing tightness).