PDA

View Full Version : How do you normally slide?

steve_t
3rd July 2009, 11:48
When you come off, is there a tendency to slide in a particular manner? Like on your back feet first or on your hip/shoulder head first? On your knees? Is it different for a lowside vs highside off?

spookytooth
3rd July 2009, 11:51
can't say i have tried it enough to give a accurate anser

Maha
3rd July 2009, 11:52
Never having done it, but I would say cartwheeling would look effective.

yod
3rd July 2009, 11:59
can't say i have tried it enough to give a accurate anser

exactly what i was thinking

the race chaps would be the people to ask but then their environment is a little more suited to binning that your average kiwi back road

Reido
3rd July 2009, 12:10
you dont really get time to think about it,
but apparently, cross you arms over your chest, and pull your legs together to protect them from being ripping off / broken etc.

and then watch your baby/precious/bike slide along with you and hope it doent hit a tree/car/truck etc.

oh and hoping you dont hit something similar would be good too

(speaks from experience) :scooter:

p.dath
3rd July 2009, 12:24
Haven't done it myself, but have been told by track people to make sure you pull your arms in across your chest and keep your legs together. By keeping your limbs in close to your body your less likely to get them caught on things and break bones.

They also said as soon as you start to slide let go of the bike. Do not attempt to hold on, or it may injure you.

slofox
3rd July 2009, 12:27
I once managed to convert a low side into a high side on the track...the most salient feature of that was just how long it took to STOP sliding...every time I tried to stand back up, I fell over again 'cause I was still sliding too fast. Best to wait, I decided.

CookMySock
3rd July 2009, 13:10
...the most salient feature of that was just how long it took to STOP sliding...every time I tried to stand back up, I fell over again 'cause I was still sliding too fast. Best to wait, I decided.Hehe, the thing I noticed was the NOISE.. Sliding along in the long grass makes a strange and loud noise.. :weird:

Steve

slofox
3rd July 2009, 13:18
Hehe, the thing I noticed was the NOISE.. Sliding along in the long grass makes a strange and loud noise.. :weird:

Steve

I don't really recall the noise. I wasn't in grass - I was on the tarmac. Fortunately there had been an oil spill, so my progress was somewhat "lubricated"..which was why I fell off in the first place - trying to cut inside the spill while everyone else was being sensible and staying way wide...I would have been in front too, if I hadn't arsed off....buggrit :angry:

YellowDog
3rd July 2009, 13:20
The few times that I have gone into a slide I seem to have done what Slofox has said.

Keeping the bike in front so it doesn't hit you and trying to avoid any other traffic that may run into you results in a dancing motion along the road, which turns into a brake dance as you stand up and fall down several times.

Not ideal and I suspect Mr Dath has the best idea.

NighthawkNZ
3rd July 2009, 13:33
How do you normally slide?

I try to avoid getting into the situation that requires it in the first place...

Murray
3rd July 2009, 13:36
When you come off, is there a tendency to slide in a particular manner? Like on your back feet first or on your hip/shoulder head first? On your knees? Is it different for a lowside vs highside off?

Why do you ask??????

crazyhorse
3rd July 2009, 13:59
You could always jump off the bike before you fall off - make it easier for the landing LOL:blink:

gatch
3rd July 2009, 14:21
Ha ahhh WELL !

If your tumbling down a bank, try to avoid the rocks...
If its just a regular slide down the road, try roll onto your back, feet first, this way you can look for potential things that may cause you more harm.

steve_t
3rd July 2009, 14:30
Why do you ask??????

Was just wondering about different gear and the protection they provide. Esp looking at kevlar jeans for summer use and how they've faired poorly (in general - I know Hitcher has found his to be great). I was interested if there was a tendency to fall a certain way more often. I bought a back protector after reading threads on here but then was reading more about hip and shoulder impact and abrasion injuries. Cheers for the replies guys

Hehe, the thing I noticed was the NOISE.. Sliding along in the long grass makes a strange and loud noise.. :weird:

Steve

Perhaps it was your helmet scraping along the ground??

klingon
3rd July 2009, 14:30
Umm... if you "normally slide" in any manner, you should probably improve your riding. :yes:

p.dath
3rd July 2009, 14:32
Was just wondering about different gear and the protection they provide. Esp looking at kevlar jeans for summer use and how they've faired poorly (in general - I know Hitcher has found his to be great). I was interested if there was a tendency to fall a certain way more often. I bought a back protector after reading threads on here but then was reading more about hip and shoulder impact and abrasion injuries. Cheers for the replies guys

They are generally good for abrasion resistance (aka sliding on tar seal) and terrible for impact resistance (when you slide off the road and hit a tree root sticking up which then smashes your bones).

p.dath
3rd July 2009, 14:33
I should also mention they only provide abrasion resistance in targetted areas (like your arse and knees). The Kevlar is not not used everwhere - so be carefull to go for a slide in just the right places.

EJK
3rd July 2009, 14:39
I went down 6 times and they were all different so can't really provide an accurate answer for your question.

Maha
3rd July 2009, 14:43
I went down 6 times and they were all different so can't really provide an accurate answer for your question.

Too easy, I will leave it alone.

slofox
3rd July 2009, 14:45
You could always jump off the bike before you fall off - make it easier for the landing LOL:blink:

Which is why I like the forward seat of the sports oriented bikes - that crouched forward position makes it easy to spring off just before the bike roars off the cliff...

...this way you can look for potential things that may cause you more harm.

What, like a fence post between ya legs f'rinstance..?

steve_t
3rd July 2009, 15:30

Nah that's actually a helpful answer. Cheers bud

Too easy, I will leave it alone.

Get my mind out of the gutter!! :laugh:

icekiwi
3rd July 2009, 15:49
Once on my arse in a lowside and head and shoulders after a highside...
Gee that would make a good prduct name..Head an Shoulders...

monkeymcbean
3rd July 2009, 16:32
Hmmm and keep your mouth shut, i had a wee slip slide and wondered what the noise was in my helmet, and i realised it was me squealing with ...embarrassment.

Finn
3rd July 2009, 16:41
and then watch your baby/precious/bike slide along with you and hope it doent hit a tree/car/truck etc.

Or if you're a Harley owner, you watch your bike take out small villages.

Big Dave
3rd July 2009, 17:45
I don't know - I've always hit something before I slid very far. Embankments and trees and stuff.

skidMark
3rd July 2009, 17:49
Go into ragdoll/ impotent penis mode...

anything stiff will break... in a lowside i try to end up on my back and slide.... rather than rolly pollys....

you need a back protector though, generally wont do any back dmaage because you arnt falling far...

in a highside... well all you can do is go ragdoll really, pretty hard to pick landing position...

if a car pulls out infront and you are going to t bone... aim for front or rear so you can go over the car.... you hit a door you will plant yourself pretty solid....... you need to kind of superman as you come off, because hitting yours legs on tank or bars on your way off.... is not fun....

FJRider
3rd July 2009, 18:00
Umm... if you "normally slide" in any manner, you should probably improve your riding. :yes:

I would not regard sliding as "normal".... Highly irregular actually ...

But if the "irregular" does happen ... every time is different ...

sondela
3rd July 2009, 18:10
In my particular experience there isn't time to decide which way you are going to fall, gravity and momentum take care of all that for you, and when you're done sliding you're still going "what the?" and "why?" and most especially "my bike!!!!!!" :crybaby:

Cheshire Cat
3rd July 2009, 19:57
How do you normally slide?

Accross the road.....

SARGE
3rd July 2009, 19:59
this way you can look for potential things that may cause you more harm.

and do WHAT?

doc
3rd July 2009, 20:17
Accross the road.....

I intend to attempt to slide under the bike to protect it :crybaby:

As bitch I have rehearsed this , didn't think it was too cool being slowly paraded past the beer tent to the tent site tho.

I think my muddy depressed appearance gave it away that it had happened tho.

skidMark
3rd July 2009, 20:28
I intend to attempt to slide under the bike to protect it :crybaby:

As bitch I have rehearsed this , didn't think it was too cool being slowly paraded past the beer tent to the tent site tho.

I think my muddy depressed appearance gave it away that it had happened tho.

Just say you were spooning it...

PrincessBandit
3rd July 2009, 22:02
Only lowsided once, slid along on my hip and shoulder down the motorway. Jeans ripped open but no damage except bruising to my leg; leather jacket got some serious gouging across the shoulder area and in fact tore open as zip wasn't completely shut. Broken collarbone and some impressive burn over the right shoulder. Thank goodness for armour in my jacket - I'd hate to think how it might have turned out if I hadn't been wearing that!

scumdog
3rd July 2009, 22:09
Slid along the lane beside the sticking-pens at the freezing works once, had ATGATT too - white freezer gummies, denim shorts, chamber-hands mitts, blue '70s open face helmet.

Bike cart-wheeled quite well while I slid along the concrete.

Nobody saw it so can't say how I slid but my knee hurt and the clutch and handle-bars needed 'adjustment' when I got home.

gatch
3rd July 2009, 22:16
and do WHAT?

WHAT ever you can to try prevent yourself getting fucked up further..

cambridgedan
3rd July 2009, 22:22
which turns into a brake dance as you stand up and fall down several times.

Not ideal and I suspect Mr Dath has the best idea.

so that's where brake dancing came from :wari:

PrincessBandit
3rd July 2009, 22:33
so that's where brake dancing came from :wari:

Well lets hope that krumping doesn't come from bikes krumpling....

Gremlin
3rd July 2009, 22:38
In my experience (which isn't toooo numerous) I've normally slid down the road...

Most have involved the superman combined with the thoughts of f**k me, where'd the bike go, followed very shortly with *thump* and FUCK THAT HURT!

:innocent:

So far, no broken bones, most serious was probably a few bruised ribs (on my birthday of all days) but having all the gear or sliding a lot has been ok so far...

Frenchy
3rd July 2009, 22:42
if you find you have time to think about this while your comming off your bike you've crashed far to many times!! you may need to look in the mirror and ask your self...... am i Drew??? now Drew has told me he's had an accident and been so composed he's had the time to think... Shit I've only got jeans.

chester
3rd July 2009, 22:45
try to stay on your side of the road while sliding and watch for ya bike thats about to hit ya! :crybaby:

FJRider
3rd July 2009, 22:56
There is usually the fleeting thought ... "this is going to hurt". :shit:

and you hope you're wrong ... :mellow:

usually not ... just how much varies ... :rockon:

discotex
4th July 2009, 09:08
Where and how you're normally injured:

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/risk.html

The difference that wearing gear makes:

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/protect.html

beyond
4th July 2009, 10:22
You don't actually get the luxury of things slowing down enough for you to decide how you will slide, how far, where you will go, how many bones you intend to break, wether you will go under that truck coming towards you or adorn it's grill for a few seconds, wether you will miss those trees on the side of the road and merely skid your way between a herd of cattle placidly munching grass.
:sweatdrop:sweatdrop

It's all over in a split second and every incident is different. If you are still around to see the damage on your bike, count yourself very lucky. :crybaby:

Cheshire Cat
4th July 2009, 10:36
Just say you were spooning it...

:pinch: there goes that dorklander spooning again.....:no:

Ocean1
4th July 2009, 10:44
Broken collarbone and some impressive burn over the right shoulder. Thank goodness for armour in my jacket - I'd hate to think how it might have turned out if I hadn't been wearing that!

Classic "fending" injury, seems more common with dirt bike offs. Usually caused not by actual impact but from the load caused by an arms/hands out fall reaction. The clavicle is designed to take that from "fall over" loads, but not "fell into tree at 30k" loads.

Can take fookin' aaaaages to heal too.

You don't actually get the luxury of things slowing down enough for you to decide

True, I usually had some small input into my trajectory though, mostly during that split second before one actually parts company with the bike. After that you're choices are severely limited.

steve_t
4th July 2009, 10:48
Where and how you're normally injured:

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/risk.html

The difference that wearing gear makes:

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/protect.html

Cheers Disco! Awesome resource :rockon: Though I'm surprised it doesn't show back injuries

Motu
4th July 2009, 13:10
You don't actually get the luxury of things slowing down enough for you to decide how you will slide,

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones,but I'm sure there are plenty of other people who get time slowing down in these situations.Sure you don't actually slow down,but the mental process speeds up to give that impression.

The responses are built into our bodies,put into a life threatening situation and they will react,making decisions and using skills you didn't think you possessed.So long as you are fit and agile,things will work out well.I find big bodies,or the short stocky ones do less well in such situations...more weight and length of limb are harder to control....the body of a gymnast rather than a weight lifter.

beyond
4th July 2009, 13:29
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones,but I'm sure there are plenty of other people who get time slowing down in these situations.Sure you don't actually slow down,but the mental process speeds up to give that impression.

The responses are built into our bodies,put into a life threatening situation and they will react,making decisions and using skills you didn't think you possessed.So long as you are fit and agile,things will work out well.I find big bodies,or the short stocky ones do less well in such situations...more weight and length of limb are harder to control....the body of a gymnast rather than a weight lifter.

Ere! You suggesting I'm a big fat lard ball that bounces along the road and then through the local scenery? :)

I'm 186 x 86, I think that falls into the category of lean, mean and "gymnastic" :yes: I hope so anyway (for a 52 year old). LOL

Yeah, I know what you mean about things appearing to slow down in extreme situations but the faster you are going when it turns to custard means things happen pretty darn fast.

I mean, if you knew for sure you were going to have a head on for instance... you might have the time or sense to literally push upwards hard and perchance clear the vehicle and deal with the drop and hard road on the other side with possible less severe injuries... unless of course there's another vehicle following :(

A lot of it is pure and simple good luck.

Motu
4th July 2009, 13:56
''You make your own luck''....sucky comment,but true.

The faster you go,the better you slide.Push bike and dirt bike offs cause more damage because they hit the deck and stop....all the force goes into the limb stuck out to break the fall.More gear makes you more cumbersome....you turn into a short and stocky with restricted movement.

mouldy
4th July 2009, 14:16
Lowsides , get on your arse and slide and you can actually steer with your leather clad hands , highsides you don,t have much say in just relax and roll when you hit the ground and if interfacing the side of a car is unavoidable stand up on your pegs it makes clearing the fairing blade easier . Yes time does slow down when you crash and life threatening ones can give you out of body experiences . You don't find the limit till you cross it .

Gremlin
4th July 2009, 15:18
You don't actually get the luxury of things slowing down enough for you to decide how you will slide, how far, where you will go, how many bones you intend to break, wether you will go under that truck coming towards you or adorn it's grill for a few seconds, wether you will miss those trees on the side of the road and merely skid your way between a herd of cattle placidly munching grass.
:sweatdrop:sweatdrop:
I dunno... my last one was a lowside, and I was doing 68kph. Yep, not some insane speed, not being an idiot... in the country, it was raining, and I was taking it easy...

One second I'm tiptoeing around the corner, the next half second I get this real short sensation of flying, thinking, huh? why's this? Next half second I'm sliding. Got up, and the first thought through my mind was WHY. Next was, WTF did I do to deserve that?!?!

Hey Frenchy... how do you normally crash then... you can't be all that far behind Drew :dodge:

crash harry
4th July 2009, 17:16
In my experience (which isn't toooo numerous) I've normally slid down the road...

Most have involved the superman combined with the thoughts of f**k me, where'd the bike go, followed very shortly with *thump* and FUCK THAT HURT!

This echos my experiences (quite a few now). All have been lowsides on sportbikes, the pattern might not fit if you crash another way, but generally I go:
1) Oh shit, this isn't good
2) "I'm flying!"
3) Bang, crunch (usually shoulder first into the ground, wrench shoulder)
4) Slide
5) Get up, swear a lot, kick bike, hurt foot
6) Swear about sore foot and wrenched shoulder

Most have been fairly low speed so there's not a lot of sliding involved, but as I say, I generally fly head first, so land on my shoulder (lots of Judo training as a kid teaches dive-rolls, now it seems to come naturally in these situations). One exception is my only racetrack get-off to date, slid on my arse. I have no recollection of it, but I arrived at the wall feet first, and the bulk of the damage to the leathers is on my arse, so I guess that's how it happened.

As for Draggins, I wear them on the street every day (commute to work). Crashed in them about 5 or 6 times with no problems. They do what it says on the box, and they're pretty strong jeans on top of the kevlar bits. Bonus is that they keep your knees warm too because the kevlar wool inside is much thicker than normal jeans.

Mikkel
4th July 2009, 18:08
If you are on the track where there's hardly any solid upright objects around to mangle you, you are best off spreading out your limbs to prevent you from starting to roll. (Rolling at lower speeds isn't too much of an issue - I did it once from around 80 km/h, didn't touch helmet down, landed on my feet and was hardly sore, but at 100+ km/h it is a different story.)

On the road you're in greater jeopardy depending upon the number of solid upright features in your immediate vincity. There really isn't much you can do - conservation of momentum is non-negotiable, but if it seems like you are enroute to hit something solid it will pay off to brace for the impact. It's better to crush an arm or a leg than to break your neck or suffer internal injuries.

As said, things happens so quickly and you most certainly won't have time to think about how you will hit the road. It may appear surprising - but a lot of injuries are sustained as people try to "blend" with the road (i.e. the vertical impact due to falling off your bike). However, unless you do either martial arts or gymnastics and have good break-fall technique as a routine you will most likely hit the ground like a sack of potatoes and possibly sustain injuries before you even start sliding.

Anything you can walk away from is good!

beyond
4th July 2009, 18:13
If you are on the track where there's hardly any solid upright objects around to mangle you, you are best off spreading out your limbs to prevent you from starting to roll. (Rolling at lower speeds isn't too much of an issue - I did it once from around 80 km/h, didn't touch helmet down, landed on my feet and was hardly sore, but at 100+ km/h it is a different story.)

On the road you're in greater jeopardy depending upon the number of solid upright features in your immediate vincity. There really isn't much you can do - conservation of momentum is non-negotiable, but if it seems like you are enroute to hit something solid it will pay off to brace for the impact. It's better to crush an arm or a leg than to break your neck or suffer internal injuries.

As said, things happens so quickly and you most certainly won't have time to think about how you will hit the road. It may appear surprising - but a lot of injuries are sustained as people try to "blend" with the road (i.e. the vertical impact due to falling off your bike). However, unless you do either martial arts or gymnastics and have good break-fall technique as a routine you will most likely hit the ground like a sack of potatoes and possibly sustain injuries before you even start sliding.

Anything you can walk away from is good!

Exactly...well put.

Leyton
5th July 2009, 12:05
When I came off around a round about I fell streight down with force, bouced off my chest and rolled twise hehe (With a bag on my back!)

Fractured 1 rib, brused the rest, one ouchy shoulder that is still sore.

I did not really have time to think about how I was going to hit the deck, it just happend too quickly, I do not remember in great detail how it went.

Camber + Fresh un scrubbed outsides of tyre + cold + smooth road surface = FAIL.

On the minibike, everytime I have come off, Or just about everytime I am sliding on my side taking the preasure with my feet and elbows and a bit on my hip. There are no obsticles to do much harm :), another rider ?. Not had that problem yet.

1wheel riot
1st August 2009, 17:34
low side on your back feet first. high side you have no choice