PDA

View Full Version : 1R - I can has tips?

Danae
3rd July 2009, 18:03
I've had my 1L for about 3-4 years now, it's about time I upgraded. The search function is pretty useless in this respect, only came up with bike restricted stuff.

So I've been learning on and off, I'm learning manual. Riding on the road has upped my confidence a whole lot and I reckon I'm just about ready to go for the test.

I still need to practise reversing skills, everything else is fine I hope.

I've heard the AA on Quay st have a new guy that tests you on parallel parking and I haven't practised that, oops.

So, where's a good place to take the test? Tips are appreciated :] Then I can finally get rid of those godforsaken L plates and inherit my dad's crappy manual car

Mully
3rd July 2009, 18:44
IMO, go get a lesson with a driving instructor - it should fix the bad habits you have picked up.

I did that when I went from 6R to 6F cos I had been on my 6R for ages.

sil3nt
3rd July 2009, 18:45
If you can do a hill start and 3 point turn (with correct indication) you should be sweet. I never had to do a parallel park and my driving instructor only showed me how to do it once.

I was rather annoyed with my tester. She told me i took too long at an intersection!! Well excuse me if its bloody busy and im trying to be safe :angry:

Told me i passed but only just. Fkn grumpy cow. Sorry this aint much help but its good too vent after years of bottling it up :bleh:

Slyer
3rd July 2009, 18:49
If you can confidently do most things people do when driving you'll be sweet.
Just make sure you checking your mirrors and headcheck excessively. ;)

Danae
3rd July 2009, 18:50
IMO, go get a lesson with a driving instructor - it should fix the bad habits you have picked up.

Bad habits? ]:

If you can do a hill start and 3 point turn (with correct indication) you should be sweet.

Cool, I've had a bunch of practise at hill starts, could still use more. I've done 3 point turns but only in really quiet street.

p.dath
3rd July 2009, 19:19
Isn't 1L a car licence ...

Danae
3rd July 2009, 19:39
Isn't 1L a car licence ...

Yep

Thus Rant & Rave

Mully
3rd July 2009, 20:57
Bad habits? ]:

Yeah, little stuff. Holding the wheel wrong and stuff.

Plus tell them you want to know how to parallel park, and make them teach you.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/39qdhbkTko4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/39qdhbkTko4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Danae
3rd July 2009, 21:16
Yeah, little stuff. Holding the wheel wrong and stuff.

Plus tell them you want to know how to parallel park, and make them teach you.

[snip]

Lol, I've seen that! Hilarious :lol:

Oh you mean bad habits I have inherited genetically by being female? You should see the looks I get when I'm sitting in the driver's seat; I think I made a few pedestrians dive for cover. It's a lethal combination, L plate + female

Oh, the steering wheel! The round thing in front of the driver's seat, right? Yeah I got really confused when I saw it wasn't shaped like the handle of a purse...you'd think they'd make this driving thing easier for women

Mully
3rd July 2009, 21:21
Oh, the steering wheel! The round thing in front of the driver's seat, right? Yeah I got really confused when I saw it wasn't shaped like the handle of a purse...you'd think they'd make this driving thing easier for women

But I know about kittens and cross-stitch - won't that do?

Danae
3rd July 2009, 21:23
But I know about kittens and cross-stitch - won't that do?

Oh, nonono...you must have an extensive knowledge in knitting, cleaning, baking and nagging as well

howdamnhard
3rd July 2009, 21:57
Get some cones and find a quiet carpark and practice your parallel and reverse parking and 3 point turns. A short session with a driving instructor will iron out any potential hiccups before you do your test. Goodluck.

Danae
4th July 2009, 09:58
Get some cones and find a quiet carpark and practice your parallel and reverse parking and 3 point turns. A short session with a driving instructor will iron out any potential hiccups before you do your test. Goodluck.

I've also heard some instructors will take you on a practice run of the test, and tell you if you would have failed or passed.

howdamnhard
4th July 2009, 20:29
I've also heard some instructors will take you on a practice run of the test, and tell you if you would have failed or passed.

Yes do that when you feel you are ready to take the test,then you can iron out any niggling problems before and stand a greater chance of passing. Save your pennies though by practising your parallel parking , handbrake pull offs , reversing and 3 point turns first and once happy with that then get an instructor to check you out . When taking your test also make your head movements (as in looking around) exaggerated so that they can easily see you are looking around.

CookMySock
5th July 2009, 09:10
If you have been driving all that time, and you can confidently and competantly get across town and back, then you will completely ace the 1R.

The examiner wants to see that you are comfortable, relaxed, and competant, and that you aren't a hazard to yourself or other motorists, and that you know the law.

You do not need to go out of your way to impress the examiner. Just be yourself and enjoy the test. Remember that you know all this crap (assuming that you do!) and just go and ace it and have fun. You will never forget this, so make sure you enjoy it.

Steve

Usarka
5th July 2009, 09:25
Some lessons

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F4mlwH2VSzM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F4mlwH2VSzM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>