PDA

View Full Version : Welly ADV riders going to Cold Kiwi 2009

denefoster
4th July 2009, 15:38
So.. who is going then ? Seems like a perfect trip for the BGAB, two up with the wee Pole on the back :)

Box'a'bits
4th July 2009, 19:52
So.. who is going then ? Seems like a perfect trip for the BGAB, two up with the wee Pole on the back :)

Yup, I'm definitely going up Saturday morning. Whats everyones thoughts?

Steve

Eddieb
10th July 2009, 13:17
I've got the friday off to go up.

Thinking Whangaheu Valley or Whanganui river road then maybe a detour through Fishers and/or the 42nd on the way up if I'm not on my own and the weathers not too bad.

Mind you Fishers in the rain is Fun with a capital F.

Then maybe same again or a light beginners training run over a local farm track just up the road out of the 4x4 book.

denefoster
11th July 2009, 17:42
Well, the Pole has already piked out. We'll see if I get suckered into a weekend in Napier (bonus, each get to take our own bikes at least) or if I hit the Cold Kiwi.

If it's the Cold Kiwi I'll be one up so I can bring the Husqvarna out to play, woot.

Connor
19th July 2009, 16:07
Yep , I'll be keen to head up on the Friday:apint:

Paladin
21st July 2009, 11:42
Yep , I'll be keen to head up on the Friday:apint:

Count me in bro! At least the hernia op should be all sorted and healed by then!

:rolleyes:

junkmanjoe
21st July 2009, 12:57
Mind you Fishers in the rain is Fun with a capital F,FFFFuk cow pad,,,

Ill put it on the calendar...

Dakar
21st July 2009, 23:04
ill get the weekend pass stamped from the missus, and ill be there too!
(is it really cold?)

Moki
30th July 2009, 18:17
Count me in bro! At least the hernia op should be all sorted and healed by then!

:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's the Friday for me this year. I want to be able to pick a decent spot this time. Probably leave from Levin at around noon...

Connor
7th August 2009, 13:27
Will unfortunatly have to pull out of this one due to injureing my lower back and that an ongoing electrical problem with the old Big is making it less that reliable.:2guns:

Eddieb
12th August 2009, 19:35
So this is now 3 weeks away.

Who's going up on the Friday from Wellington?

I'm planning on leaving fairly early to make the most of the day. Haven't decided on an exact time yet but probaby 8am at the earliest, 9am at the latest, it depends on if, and how many people want to join me, the more the earlier.

I intend on taking the scenic route probably via Whangaehu Valley road. That would mean SH1 up to Bulls, head about 10km towards Wanganui then turn into the center heading through Fordell onto back roads and a fairly long section of easy gravel.
This brings us out between Ohakune and the Rally Venue at the top end of Fields Track, a right turn and 10 minutes and you're there.

Depending on the weather, time and whether I'm on my own or not any keen riders could include Fishers track or The 42nd Traverse, both knarly off road, good knobblies required and well worth the effort.
To do those we really want to be in National park by about 1 at the latest. It would make this a 400-450km day depending on which one was done.

Any takers/meet ups on the way?

Moki
12th August 2009, 21:06

I'm planning on leaving fairly early to make the most of the day. Haven't decided on an exact time yet but probaby 8am at the earliest, 9am at the latest, it depends on if, and how many people want to join me, the more the earlier.

I intend on taking the scenic route probably via Whangaehu Valley road. That would mean SH1 up to Bulls, head about 10km towards Wanganui then turn into the center heading through Fordell onto back roads and a fairly long section of easy gravel.
This brings us out between Ohakune and the Rally Venue at the top end of Fields Track, a right turn and 10 minutes and you're there.

Depending on the weather, time and whether I'm on my own or not any keen riders could include Fishers track or The 42nd Traverse, both knarly off road, good knobblies required and well worth the effort.
To do those we really want to be in National park by about 1 at the latest. It would make this a 400-450km day depending on which one was done.

Any takers/meet ups on the way?

Hey Eddie
Sounds like a blast. I'm also looking at heading out on the early side of Friday. No plans really, except to get up the the Cold Kiwi about mid-afternoon. What are the roads like thru Whangaehu Valley? Okay with Conti Escapes, or more suited to TKC80s?

-Karl

Eddieb
12th August 2009, 21:30
Whangaehu Valley could be ridden on any road bike or car really, it's a hard packed, well formed road that runs up a river valley. It just happens to have a good section of gravel in the middle and goes up through some nice rugged scenery while avoiding the main roads and traffic.

It's fine on any tires, If the road has been recently graded the gravel may be a bit loose but usually the tyre tracks have worn a smooth firm line you can follow all the way up.

Moki
13th August 2009, 13:38
Cool. I'm in. Looking forward to it....

Paladin
13th August 2009, 19:35

I'm out mate as hernia op has been resceduled for Aug 31st!