PDA

View Full Version : Belly pan bracket advice

pzkpfw
5th July 2009, 13:50
Hi,

I'm just a noob and would appreciate some words of wisdom in regards to installing my belly pan. (2005 Kawasaki Z750S (ZR-750K1)).

The instructions that came with it were pretty sparse and all the pics are for a different bike so I've had to make some "guesses" about where the brackets go. The bellypan comes in two bits, each bit has two mounting points.

1. The rear mounts.

The brackets for the rear of the belly pan seem to go on the long bolt that holds the rear-bottom of the engine to the frame. The left side bracket has a fork, rather than a hole, which I expect is so that the whole bolt doesn't have to be withdrawn (that side has the head of the bolt).

My issue with this is that the combined thickness of the two brackets is more than the amount of free thread visible on that bolt, sticking out past the nut on the end.

I think that nut is there more for locking than holding it all together, as the bolt already passes through a weird nut (threaded outside and in) on each end, which I think is used to get the engine sitting correctly (side-to-side) in the frame.

However, this still makes me nervous. How much thread of a nut like this is wise to not have the bolt in it? (Hope that made sense). If that nut only has 3 turns of thread (for example) holding the right-side belly pan bracket on - I imagine disaster.

Are longer bolts available?

2. The front mounts.

As far as I can tell, the front mounts use two of the bolts (outer one on each side) that go up through the crank case and hold the cylinder block on.

Is this "normal"?

This would mean there's about 2mm less of those bolts going up into the cylinders. Is this significant?

Feel free to tell me I worry too much and should have a few beers and just go for it.

Cheers,

(Pics a bit blurry, sorry).

crazefox
5th July 2009, 17:28
buy some longer bolts man

crazefox
5th July 2009, 17:28
if you get stuck bring it over to my place

KZT
6th July 2009, 12:01
I would be very surprised if your bellypan bolts up to these particular bolts, it is more likely that they fit to some much smaller less important bolts/mounts; have another look at it and if you can put you bike upright (on a rear stand) then sit the bellypan up on various blocks of wood or whatever to get it sitting about right, you should then see where it should bolt to.
I have just bought a bellypan for my Z1000 and it has no brackets at all so I will make them up from scratch and put it where everything fits best!
Good luck!