PDA

View Full Version : Buying from overseas

Biff
27th March 2005, 12:31
I'm off on my travels next week, primarily through Asia, and as I'm in the market for a new lid and leathers I was wondering if any of you lot have any experience or advice about buying kit from Asia?

I'll be travelling through China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and a few other countries, so I'd rather not buy the first bargain I find in case I stumble accross any better ones later on.

Thanks.

dangerous
27th March 2005, 12:55
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. me thinks duty free, single malt thanks Biff, anything will do..... bloody good of ya to offer :whistle:

Hitcher
27th March 2005, 15:37
Single malt and chocolate, thanks. Nice of you to offer...

geoffm
27th March 2005, 15:48
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. me thinks duty free, single malt thanks Biff, anything will do..... bloody good of ya to offer :whistle:

With the aid of a friend who went back to Scotland (and had a mate working in the Whyte and MacKay distillary) I went into this recently, although I now need to restock.
Depending on what you want, the local wholesalers are often cheaper than duty free. For more unusal stuff, see Whiskey Galore (www.whiskygalore.co.nz), conveniently located at 801 Columbo St :-)
Geoff

Coyote
27th March 2005, 15:56
Let me know what MC22 stuff you see

RDJ
27th March 2005, 16:26
Enjoy your trip!

Purely IMO, but FYI:

1. try not to buy in Indonesia. Nearly all parts and especially helmets seem to be 'seconds' sold to the local market.

2. if you have a large (L or XL) head you will find it very difficult to get a helmet that fits in any of the countries you mention. Ditto boots and other riding gear. I had to import from UK, although I found a (now-discontinued) Arai 65cm in Singapore it was one of a kind.

3. no chance of leathers that will fit an average Kiwi.

4. best value places for motorcycle gear in Singapore are up Serangoon Road. In KL, try the motorcycle shops near the roundabout at Jalan Universiti.

5. never seen anything worth buying for bikes in China, although have only been to Beijing and Shanghai.

Biff
27th March 2005, 16:49
Enjoy your trip!

Purely IMO, but FYI:

4. best value places for motorcycle gear in Singapore are up Serangoon Road. In KL, try the motorcycle shops near the roundabout at Jalan Universiti.

5. never seen anything worth buying for bikes in China, although have only been to Beijing and Shanghai.

:niceone: Great advice- your post has been printed.

Dangerous - any preference on brands?

Hitcher - me thinks the postage to your place may negate any savings made. But your welcome to pick up from here!

Suney
27th March 2005, 16:52
If anyone can recommend a place that sells cheap alpinestars leather in HK, that would be awesome

dangerous
27th March 2005, 17:46
and as I'm in the market for a new lid and leathers
Dangerous - any preference on brands?
I'd be a bit cearfull about a lid aye, as it is most likely not going to be up to NZ std's..... even the HJC I bought in from Oz differes from NZ now in this case the only differance is a 'D' rings instead of a clip, but is saving a few bucks worth ya head?
You are heading into the UK so why not buy the gear there atleast that way you will know what ya will end up with.

Cragganmore
Lagavulin
Dalwhinne
Glenkinchie
oban
Talisker
cardhu
Dalmore
Tobermore
Bunnahabhain
Glenmorangie
Glenlivet
Tamdhu
Macallan
Glen Grant
Highland Park
Sheep Dip
Blairmhor
Dalmore
Glengoyne
Isle of Jura
Old Fettercain
Glenfarclas
Balvenie
Glendronach
Tormore
Glenfiddich
Tomintoul
Knockando
Laphroaig
:drinknsin

RDJ
27th March 2005, 18:29
The best-service bike shop I've ever visited in the UK was Infinity (London); the service in Holborn - and their other branch in Portland Street - was excellent. Wide range of helmets - they even have Schuberths in big sizes with spare visors - boots, leathers, Cordura, gadgets, etc.

sAsLEX
27th March 2005, 18:57
even the HJC I bought in from Oz differes from NZ now in this case the only differance is a 'D' rings instead of a clip, but is saving a few bucks worth ya head?

which does yours have, i got my hjc from aussie as well and it has d rings which i perfer to a clip anyways

**R1**
27th March 2005, 19:12
I'll have an Arai thanks biff, im not much of a drinker:niceone:

my head has deflated since last week so a 57cm will be fine.

dangerous
27th March 2005, 19:22
which does yours have, i got my hjc from aussie as well and it has d rings which i perfer to a clip anyways
'D' rings.... were as the same lid here has a clip, which I would have prefured, but I am now used to the 'D' rings.

Coyote
27th March 2005, 19:49

Same here

And while your at it, get a Yoshi pipe for a CBR, nitous kit, blow off valve kit, and a set of GPR-70s :2thumbsup

gav
27th March 2005, 22:30
I'd be a bit cearfull about a lid aye, as it is most likely not going to be up to NZ std's..... even the HJC I bought in from Oz differes from NZ now in this case the only differance is a 'D' rings instead of a clip, but is saving a few bucks worth ya head?
You are heading into the UK so why not buy the gear there atleast that way you will know what ya will end up with.

Cragganmore
Lagavulin
Dalwhinne
Glenkinchie
oban
Talisker
cardhu
Dalmore
Tobermore
Bunnahabhain
Glenmorangie
Glenlivet
Tamdhu
Macallan
Glen Grant
Highland Park
Sheep Dip
Blairmhor
Dalmore
Glengoyne
Isle of Jura
Old Fettercain
Glenfarclas
Balvenie
Glendronach
Tormore
Glenfiddich
Tomintoul
Knockando
Laphroaig
:drinknsin

BB, just get one of each if you're unsure?

saiko
27th March 2005, 22:34
Prob just buy in NZ, at least there's a local reseller if you have a problem. Just got my new Alpine Stars SX-1 suit - made in bloody Romania!
Didn't know they were experts on that sort of thing...

WINJA
27th March 2005, 22:37

ARAI AND SHOEI MAKE DIFFERENT SHAPED LINERS FOR DIFFERENT MARKETS, ASIANS HAVE A DIFFERENT HEAD SHAPE TO EURO. IM SCOTTISH AND FIJIAN SO ILL HAVE TO GLUE A SHOEI EURO TOP TO AN ASIAN ARAI BOTTOM.

Suney
27th March 2005, 22:37
Prob just buy in NZ, at least there's a local reseller if you have a problem. Just got my new Alpine Stars SX-1 suit - made in bloody Romania!
Didn't know they were experts on that sort of thing...
how much ? that's the suit i'm looking at getting in hk

Biff
28th March 2005, 19:20
I've done some research on standards, and I think I can get one from Singapore which equates to a European spec 05 or UK 04 standard. So I think I'll be safe there, particularly as I'm looking at an Arai, Shoei or AGV. But it's a good point none the less.

As for buying in NZ, I would, but to be honest I think the prices here appear to be over-inflated compared to prices globaly, even without GST. So I'm happy to take a risk, providing it's with a known and respected brand.

Good advice gents :niceone:

gav
28th March 2005, 20:29
Ebay, out of the states, some prices there look pretty hard to beat. Ideally you want to try one on locally and make sure you know what size you are.
How about an 05 Colin Edwards Arai $760 NZD + freight?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7964732359&fromMakeTrack=true
Others are the Nick Hayden replica, available for about $500 NZD + freight. Plain colours are naturally cheaper.

Blackbird
28th March 2005, 20:49
If you can squeeze a trip in to Japan, there's an area of Tokyo which has about 2 sq km of bike shops and bike accessories - unbelievably great prices.

My boss called into one place to pick up a helmet and ended up getting a CB1300 with aftermarket kit and 3000k's on the clock for about $8000 - wasn't all that expensive to have it shipped back either!