PDA

View Full Version : Power loss

DeanOh
17th October 2003, 18:23
Some advice needed for a less than mechanical type.
So excuse my bad description of the problem.

My bike has started to bunny hop, I can be cruising along, say at 100km at around 4k rpm, when suddenly the revs will drop to zero, and then back to 4k rpm.
i thought it maybe a fuel issue, but the revs drop top zero, so Im guessing not.

It doesnt seem to matter how if Im going slow or fast, wether its cold or hot. it doesnt do it all the time either. So if I take it into a mechanic it prob wont do it.

Any ideas ?

marty
17th October 2003, 18:27
shouldn't it still be under warranty? suzuki have 2 yrs unlimited k's

What?
17th October 2003, 19:20
As above. Warranty should cover this. It is almost certainly electrical.

Likely scenario is pins on bottom of ignition switch partly pulled out. This is caused by a slightly too-short wiring loom getting stressed when you put the steering in full lock (like when using the steering lock).

Motu
17th October 2003, 19:50
That could be it - your revs aren't dropping to zero,that's a full stop....check out the tacho when it does it - if it drops to zero then the power supply to the ign has stopped.If the revs truly do drop to zero....check the chain is still on.

750Y
17th October 2003, 20:48
yeah take it into the shop asap if it's under warranty. the shop will find the problem even if they have to pull massive wheelies & stoppies to get it to play up.(j/k) my guess would be coil/s shorting or something not earthed properly. good luck man i'm sure it's no major.

DeanOh
20th October 2003, 15:31
Cheers guys.
Something is loose, I have discovered that if I prod a cable it comes right, prodding is the extent of my mechanical knowledge.
Its off to the professionsals to look at.