PDA

View Full Version : Tricksite manual lap timer

Pumba
6th July 2009, 22:00
Ok a few months ago I brought a manual lap timer from Tricksite.co.nz (http://www.geocities.com/quickrik/TRICKSITE/Home.htm) through Quickrik (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=12000) here on the site.

Now after using it for a couple of race meeting I feel I am in a place to make an educated opinion.

Pros

Great bit of kit that is solid and does everything advertised and has been good to use to keep track of my lap times. The 80 lap memory is good and easy to recal at the end of the session.

Cons

I found the standard trigger button to small (see first photo) and prefered smothing bigger that was easier to hit at the particular point. Also found it a bit of pain that everytime I wanted to remove the unit I had to remove the trigger button and associated wiring.

So in order to get around the above cons I made a few easy modifications(see second photo), added some plugs and a bigger button after a trip to Jaycar.

So as I said a good unit that I have enjoyed using, I find it more of a tool to be used for practise sessions and dont tend to bother with it durring a race as I tend to have other things to worry about.

I wil post some fitted photos later on if I think about it.

Quickrik
9th July 2009, 14:53
Wow! Totally unsolicited. Thanks for the thumps up!

Rik

ajturbo
9th July 2009, 16:22
if your really smart, you could rig it to your horn button...

Hoon
9th July 2009, 16:28
My homemade setup was similar. Except I wired bullet connectors onto the horn wires in the loom going to the left switchgear.
To fit the laptimer was just a matter unplugging the horn button connectors and connecting them to the laptimer. My laptimer was adhesive velcro backed and just stuck on to the top of the triple clamp.

edit: grrrrr beat me to it aj....but thanks for the compliment :)

Pumba
9th July 2009, 17:37
if your really smart, you could rig it to your horn button...

But the FXR doesnt have a horn button:weep:

But yea I get your point

Hoon
10th July 2009, 10:40
Ohh thats not yours pictured? I was the same and ended up putting the left switchgear back on my race bike (stripped down) purely for the horn button to do this.

Pumba
10th July 2009, 22:15
Ohh thats not yours pictured? I was the same and ended up putting the left switchgear back on my race bike (stripped down) purely for the horn button to do this.

No. Maybe in hindsight that was a bit miss leading. I just pulled the photo from the website to show what the btton looked like from factory.

discotex
10th July 2009, 22:34
Damn that looks cool. What's the ball-park price for one of these? Are we talking $50 or $500?

Pumba
11th July 2009, 10:21
I paid $160 including postage, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

If I had $500 odd dollars lying around I wold have got an XT laptimer with a becon so it was all automated, but I didnt.

discotex
11th July 2009, 11:09
I paid $160 including postage, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

If I had $500 odd dollars lying around I wold have got an XT laptimer with a becon so it was all automated, but I didnt.

Yeah sounds like a fair price for a decent bit of kit. Thanks for the headsup :)