PDA

View Full Version : Key announces aid boost for Tonga... WTF?

Drogen Omen
8th July 2009, 11:49
just one question... why are we giving money away when we cant even fix shit here...

So here's the thing...

Mr Key said New Zealand's bilateral aid programme with Tonga will increase to $16 million in 2010 and 2011 and further increase to $18 million in 2012.

but back here in little old NZ there is no aid support package... we have to have a Telethon to help our on country...!!! what the fuck is up with that...??? :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

The idea behind Big Night In is to net at least two million dollars for KidsCan enabling it to make a tangible difference in the lives of 42,000 disadvantaged children across New Zealand.

hmmm somethings not right here... our own government gives away $16million to aid a tinty island in the middle of nowhere, and the telethon wants to TRY and raise $2million to help 34,000 poor children... thats probably more than the whole population of Tonga... you know the Tongan kings just gona throw another million dollar birthday party with the money like he did last year.

moral of the story... governments are idiots and we are idiots for thinking they will do good things with our tax money.

Finn
8th July 2009, 11:52
Good question. Particularly when Tonga is the most corrupt, anti-democratic of all coconut islands in the south pacific. Yet he isn't giving anything to Fiji which at least has a history of trying to become democratic. Fiji is a much better investment.

Mully
8th July 2009, 11:52
moral of the story... governments are idiots and we are idiots for thinking they will do good things with our tax money.

+1.

It's something to do with these treaties that we sign up for. Plus all the politicians want to look good in the eyes of the world, so sign nice big cheques (of our money) to do so.

Drogen Omen
8th July 2009, 11:56
wow... Tonga - Population - 101,134 (2006 census) thats impresive...

$16 million to help that many people... if devided up thats $158.20 per person...

$2million to help 34,000 kids... if devided up thats $58.82 per child...

This realy makes me sick... :sick::sick::sick:

ManDownUnder
8th July 2009, 11:56
+1.

It's something to do with these treaties that we sign up for.

Agreed - and I'm curious to see what's going to unfold over the next few months or years. Key's pretty good at forming alliances to help him get his goals hit (I refer to the number of alliances he has in Parliament - not just enough to govern, but enough to govern even in the face of any one of the partner parties objecting to what he's doing).

I suspect he's doing the same thing here... I just wonder what the end goal is.

Finn
8th July 2009, 11:57
I just wonder what the end goal is.

I'm hoping it will be to get NZ out of the sewer.

ManDownUnder
8th July 2009, 12:01
I'm hoping it will be to get NZ out of the sewer.

Ditto... +10 chars give or take a few

Drogen Omen
8th July 2009, 12:04
oh... this just popped into my head...

so we dont get tax cuts aye... geee wonder where all the money's going... oh yeah thats right $16million of it is going to Tonga... oh yeah and the flight to tonga wasn't just for mr Key but it was also for 74 parlament members...

hmmmm cost of flights to Tonga on pacific blue... Blue Saver (cheapest flight) $595.00 (one way) x 74 = $44,030 of tax payers money (i'm guessing Key's wife payed for herself)

Delerium
8th July 2009, 12:28
he used an air force boeing 757

Paulo
8th July 2009, 12:29
Bit off considering that the King of Tonga spent a bloody fortune on his last birthday anniversary (or whatever the occassion was). I'm not anti aid but it a bit on the nose when a country allows huge waste of it's own limited money to put on a fancy parade and spit rosting thousands of pigs and flying in International delegates just to make the king feel special. Then they put the hand out

James Deuce
8th July 2009, 12:39
It's part of the responsibility that goes with supposed "1st world" status.

You could always move to Tonga and become a big fish in a small pond and "help" distribute aid. I hear the climate is nice except for the hurricane season.

Help kids in NZ? Up to the parents isn't it? At least that's what most KBers say when pressed.

Drogen Omen
8th July 2009, 12:40
he used an air force boeing 757

I know but I'm just making a point to the cost a flight would be on the cheapest plane. regardless what plane they took, fuel for the trip would still have to be paid by some one...

NDORFN
8th July 2009, 12:43
Who's going to pick apples, kiwifruit, onions, potatoes, asparagas etc... if not Tongans? Alot more than $16M is pumped into the economy from apple exports.

James Deuce
8th July 2009, 12:50
http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Tonga/

want-a-harley
8th July 2009, 12:59
Blame Sneddon, he wanted New Zealand to be a little Britain with it's own mini Empire. This is the hangover.

That said I'd rather give $16 million to a third world country than $9 million on a non-binding referendum on child punching.

More cuts to come, Maf layoffs to come, police budgets have been cut knocking on to a $10 million cut to forensic testing, so make sure you're not a victim of crime cos it might not get solved (hmmm, me thinks I've strayed from topic)

James Deuce
8th July 2009, 13:10
Blame Sneddon, he wanted New Zealand to be a little Britain with it's own mini Empire. This is the hangover.

Who, Martin Sneddon? Cricket NZ has some clout! Who knew?

Forest
8th July 2009, 13:55
I heard on the radio recently that there's a huge trade imbalance with Tonga.

We sell them about 50 million dollars of NZ goods each year, but only import around 5 million in return.

So the aid is not so one-sided as it seems. They're effectively providing aid to our economy.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:02
The same news report mentioned thart NZ's total aid package to other countries was $500,000,000.

Thats a donation of $120 from every nNew Zealander to aid another country.

What could be done with that money here in NZ?

Possibly raise our health service to a more acceptable standard.

Not charge tolls on roads we have already paid for with our tax dollar.

Allow more investment in the education of our children.

I know its simplistic but why cant we look after our own first?

mynameis
8th July 2009, 14:06
Part of the deal, every government does it.

Do you realise how much we "donate" each year?

Donation to Tonga is just a drop.

Somewhere around $500 mill to $1 bill each year.

Wouldn't NZ be better off with 1/2 a bill each year aye?

Saddest part is a portion of it goes into corrupt politicians/government officials back pockets.

Where do you think so many of these coconut heads get their $100,000 cars, batches, travel around the world every year and 50 of their whanau members who don't work are so rich as well?

Well you guessed it right, from our tax money.

Finn
8th July 2009, 14:13
The same news report mentioned thart NZ's total aid package to other countries was $500,000,000.

We spend that on welfare in just 1 week. When will people realise that handouts don't work.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:20
We spend that on welfare in just 1 week. When will people realise that handouts don't work.

As long a putting your hand out works then people will still do it.

Education of the correct type would assist in dispelling this ethos

James Deuce
8th July 2009, 14:21
The NZ Army gets about the equivalent of 5.5 weeks of benefit payouts for a yearly budget.

$16million is nothing in NZ. It's a LOT of money in Tonga.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:28
The NZ Army gets about the equivalent of 5.5 weeks of benefit payouts for a yearly budget.

$16million is nothing in NZ. It's a LOT of money in Tonga.

Agreed, it is a lot of money in Tonga but it is also a lot of money that could be spent in our country looking after our citizens.

Its only $4 per person in NZ but that is a loaf of breaD IN THE SUPERMARKET.

There was a program on the idiot box the other day talking about school breakfasts. People cant or dont give their kids breakfast in the morrning before school. This particular charity had taken it upon them selves to provide such.

How far would the Westpac resue helicopter service go with 16 mill? They get sod all from the govt as it is.

How far would 16 million go in cleaning up some of our cities suburbs?

I can think of a lot of ways this money would be better of being spent here in NZ

So we give the money and next year they are waiting for it just the same but this time asking for more.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:30

not bad for less than 3000 people

mynameis
8th July 2009, 14:32

Works for the bastards on the receiving end :D

James Deuce
8th July 2009, 14:32

That's not how it works and you know it. Malicious little gnome.

mynameis
8th July 2009, 14:34
Agreed, it is a lot of money in Tonga but it is also a lot of money that could be spent in our country looking after our citizens.

You mean 20,000 Tongans :lol:

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:34
That's not how it works and you know it. Malicious little gnome.

I know but I gotta keep a thread gonig somehow.

I lover the honourific.

"Malicious little Gnome".

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:36
You mean 20,000 Tongans :lol:

Completely slipped my mind.

Yes we could keep it here, spend it on the Tonganss that live here and save on the paperwork involved in crediting their government with it.

I would probably finish up there anyway as thos e here would send the cash home for their families

mynameis
8th July 2009, 14:38
Completely slipped my mind.

Yes we could keep it here, spend it on the Tonganss that live here and save on the paperwork involved in crediting their government with it.

I would probably finish up there anyway as thos e here would send the cash home for their families

Eeeeeeh chuuuu bo

jrandom
8th July 2009, 14:38

... whose job, apart from running up and down hills in the central North Island, consists of playing policeman with their plastic poodle-shooters in the same third-world countries we're all complaining about giving aid to.

Reduce the Army budget immediately, I say!

Or at least let's declare war on someone properly. Hardly fair that only the SAS boys get to go out and kill ragheads.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:42
20,000 Tongans in NZ

16 million dollars means we give them 800 each.

Lets say they send half home to theior family. The people that need it get a cash influx of 400 NZ

Those here already spend their $400 in NZ, on things like postage to Tonga. Our ecconomy gets a boost.

The only loosers are the politicos as they dont get to play the great philanthropist and strut their stuff

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:45
... whose job, apart from running up and down hills in the central North Island, consists of playing policeman with their plastic poodle-shooters in the same third-world countries we're all complaining about giving aid to.

Reduce the Army budget immediately, I say!

Or at least let's declare war on someone properly. Hardly fair that only the SAS boys get to go out and kill ragheads.

As the grandson\son of a soldiering family and as an ex soldier myself, I must admit to being ashamed of the state of our armed forces.

Yes the best thing that could be done is just to disaband them and save us from further embarrasment.

James Deuce
8th July 2009, 14:49

Its only $4 per person in NZ but that is a loaf of breaD IN THE SUPERMARKET.

There was a program on the idiot box the other day talking about school breakfasts. People cant or dont give their kids breakfast in the morrning before school. This particular charity had taken it upon them selves to provide such.

How far would the Westpac resue helicopter service go with 16 mill? They get sod all from the govt as it is.

How far would 16 million go in cleaning up some of our cities suburbs?

I can think of a lot of ways this money would be better of being spent here in NZ

So we give the money and next year they are waiting for it just the same but this time asking for more.

As much as you guys don't like it, we've always done it. We have an actual economic driver to stay on side with a whole bunch of Pacific "Nations" simply because NZ supports ethnic populations from the Pacific region that in most cases outnumbers the population those islands are capable of supporting. I'd also bet that the combined Pakeha/Maori numbers on benefits vastly outweighs Islanders on benefits. Even if I'm proved wrong on that point, the benefits of the '70s population influx from the Islands are being realised in all sorts of ways now.

Any local aid agency or charity that is given $16 million will simply buy some letterhead and another car with it. There are a number of charities in NZ that do nothing for people that need help and concentrate on support groups and coffee mornings instead.

Finn
8th July 2009, 14:54
Hardly fair that only the SAS boys get to go out and kill ragheads.

They've sent the SAS into Mt Albert? :gob:

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 14:54
As much as you guys don't like it, we've always done it. We have an actual economic driver to stay on side with a whole bunch of Pacific "Nations" simply because NZ supports ethnic populations from the Pacific region that in most cases outnumbers the population those islands are capable of supporting. I'd also bet that the combined Pakeha/Maori numbers on benefits vastly outweighs Islanders on benefits. Even if I'm proved wrong on that point, the benefits of the '70s population influx from the Islands are being realised in all sorts of ways now.

Any local aid agency or charity that is given $16 million will simply buy some letterhead and another car with it. There are a number of charities in NZ that do nothing for people that need help and concentrate on support groups and coffee mornings instead.

Just beacuse we have always done something doesnt make it right.

If there were some mechanism for deciding where my tax dollars were spent. I would much prefer for them to be spent here looking after my fellow citizens than proping up some other inefectual group of beurocrats in another country.

James Deuce
8th July 2009, 14:59
Just beacuse we have always done something doesnt make it right.

If there were some mechanism for deciding where my tax dollars were spent. I would much prefer for them to be spent here looking after my fellow citizens than proping up some other inefectual group of beurocrats in another country.
It simply doesn't happen. The Government isn't here to help you and any organisation running under the auspices of the Government deserves our automatic disrespect.

I didn't say that it was because we'd always done it either. Fostering strong relations with Pacific Island nations is a vital part of our economic wellbeing. You can't grow an innovative economy with white people. They're too lazy.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 15:10
What hasnt been discussed properly is that this isnt an iscolated case.

500 million every year plus increases.

So for the life of a parliamentery term our government will have given away $1,500,000,000 of our taxes to what are basically inept and corrupt regimes.

Wha tdo we gewt in return.

A WARM FUZZY GLOW

Sod that I'd rather be fed, healed and educated.

jrandom
8th July 2009, 15:12
Wha tdo we gewt in return.

A WARM FUZZY GLOW

Lucky you. I'm still waiting for my warm fuzzy glow to be legalised.

Swoop
8th July 2009, 15:19
We should be asking questions of NZ's "military aid package" that is given to Tonga.
The previous king used to like the saluting gun...
It was strongly rumoured that every time he took a shit, there was a 21 gun salute fired in its honour.:yes:

I love the honourific.
"Malicious little Gnome".
Time to change your user title???

That will keep them busy for a looooong time.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 15:20
Lucky you. I'm still waiting for my warm fuzzy glow to be legalised.

You mean its not

Oh shit I better hide whats left. And plough under the bottom 40 acres.

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 15:21

The're there to protect Mellissa Lee from all those naughty people fromthe south.

Beemer
8th July 2009, 15:59
Yep, and meanwhile the king of Tonga lives it up in the lap of luxury. I get fed up with all these countries expecting hand outs from NZ when most of their bloody citizens live here and are bludgers anyway.

We work for a living, don't have famine or as many natural disasters as them, and yet our country is in shit street and no one's standing in line to give us any financial assistance.

I say tell them to fuck off and look after themselves. It's like some of the African countries where the top brass are rich and corrupt and most of their citizens live in poverty. Make them start sharing their wealth around before asking us for a bloody hand out!

Drogen Omen
8th July 2009, 16:23
Yep, and meanwhile the king of Tonga lives it up in the lap of luxury. I get fed up with all these countries expecting hand outs from NZ when most of their bloody citizens live here and are bludgers anyway.

We work for a living, don't have famine or as many natural disasters as them, and yet our country is in shit street and no one's standing in line to give us any financial assistance.

I say tell them to fuck off and look after themselves. It's like some of the African countries where the top brass are rich and corrupt and most of their citizens live in poverty. Make them start sharing their wealth around before asking us for a bloody hand out!

Strongly agree here.

Drogen Omen
8th July 2009, 16:30
If there were some mechanism for deciding where my tax dollars were spent.

That's what i was thinking about the other day also...

If we could vote for where our tax money got spent I would be down with that...

Kinda like a list of things tax money would go to (please tick all that apply)
eg:
* road development/repair
* schools
* hospitals
* rescue services
* stuff that keeps us NZ'rs alive and kicking(riding)
* all of the above

Drogen Omen
8th July 2009, 16:33
I wonder how much Australia donats to Tonga... Not that Tonga is the only country we give money too...

But Australia has a larger population than us so naturaly you would think they would give twice as much $$$ as us. say $30milion...

Mr Merde
8th July 2009, 16:40
I wonder how much Australia donats to Tonga... Not that Tonga is the only country we give money too...

But Australia has a larger population than us so naturaly you would think they would give twice as much $$$ as us. say $30milion...

We are giving approx $4 per person in NZ.

If Australia were to donate at such a rate it would be much greater.

Not sure of the population of Australia

At a guess 25 million

That means to be donating at a similar rate they would have to give $100,000,000.

TUI MOMENT

avgas
8th July 2009, 16:47
Bullshit i know, but its true.
Just yesterday i was talking to a good friend of mine - he had spent the weekend doing habitat for humanity.
It really stuck with me - who the fuck in NZ needs a house BUILT for them. Fuck for many years of my life we lived in a converted cowshed.
I can justify H4H in places like india and Peru.......but NZ HAS A BENEFIT SYSTEM. If you cant afford to buy a house, live like the rest of us.
Seems my pride is worth about NZ$2M because that is what i'm missing out on by studying/working/looking for better work.......trying harder everyday to do things better in my life.
Whats your pride worth? - and when will you give in and just become another bludger for people to help?

wbks
8th July 2009, 16:50
As the grandson\son of a soldiering family and as an ex soldier myself, I must admit to being ashamed of the state of our armed forces.

Yes the best thing that could be done is just to disaband them and save us from further embarrasment.I can't really put it into too many words, and what I've just typed is only to get around the ten character limit, but...: Aye?!??

Winston001
8th July 2009, 17:07

Australia gave A$19.3 million in 08-09.

Australian population 21 million.

Dave Lobster
8th July 2009, 18:46
Don't most of the tongans live here now anyway?

Robert Taylor
8th July 2009, 18:49
just one question... why are we giving money away when we cant even fix shit here...

So here's the thing...

but back here in little old NZ there is no aid support package... we have to have a Telethon to help our on country...!!! what the fuck is up with that...??? :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

hmmm somethings not right here... our own government gives away $16million to aid a tinty island in the middle of nowhere, and the telethon wants to TRY and raise $2million to help 34,000 poor children... thats probably more than the whole population of Tonga... you know the Tongan kings just gona throw another million dollar birthday party with the money like he did last year.

Yes its a very big concern but Chinese influence is steadily widening in the South Pacific region. I do not wish that we one day will be slaves to that regime, if we are not already.
If we dont help them China will throw money at them, simple as that.

Robert Taylor
8th July 2009, 18:52

Yes the best thing that could be done is just to disaband them and save us from further embarrasment.

Im the same, the bitch who had control for 9 years disbanded our Air Strike Force. That is her biggest single crime and she should hang for it.

Winston001
8th July 2009, 19:51
Just yesterday i was talking to a good friend of mine - he had spent the weekend doing habitat for humanity.
It really stuck with me - who the fuck in NZ needs a house BUILT for them.

Fuck for many years of my life we lived in a converted cowshed.
I can justify H4H in places like india and Peru.......but NZ HAS A BENEFIT SYSTEM. If you cant afford to buy a house, live like the rest of us.

Yeah understand why you say that. I'm involved with Habitat for Humanity and FWIW your point was discussed by some of us just the other day. I've volunteered in India and you are absolutely right - we don't know what poverty is in NZ.

However, the sort of families Habitat helps in NZ do fall below the government/benefit help line. Plus.....they aren't your average family. Autistic children, illiteracy, one lady I can think of just got her drivers licence at 38, never had a car in her family before. Decent people who are invisible to the rest of us.

ynot slow
8th July 2009, 21:10
Why give the islands the dough,isn't the capital of Tonga,Samoa,Nuie and Raro called Auckland.

twistemotion
8th July 2009, 22:14
Yes its a very big concern but Chinese influence is steadily widening in the South Pacific region. I do not wish that we one day will be slaves to that regime, if we are not already.
Exactly. NZ and OZ have to keep China from taking control of the island nations, and unfortunately it means giving substantial aid. China is ready and very willing to give "aid" anywhere to get a foothold. It's happening in Africa where they're building roads and other infrastructure at their cost and then shipping natural resources away.

mynameis
8th July 2009, 23:55

Too true

+ 10 char

James Deuce
9th July 2009, 07:29

Oh. My. Goodness.

China plays a very long game, and while the current dominant cultures of NZ probably won't survive the next 500 years, the change will be so gradual you and your grandchildren won't notice.

NighthawkNZ
9th July 2009, 07:51
one lady I can think of just got her drivers licence at 38, never had a car in her family before.

Im 40... never had a car license nor a car nor do I want one...:whistle:

wbks
9th July 2009, 09:25
@ all you guys saying China is trying to take over... How does that affect NZ?

Mr Merde
9th July 2009, 10:02

Obviously we will all speak a chinese dialect and eat with chop sticks

James Deuce
9th July 2009, 10:23
They're not trying. They don't need to and in the short term is doesn't affect NZ at all. 200 years ago the US had next to no global influence. 200 years ago the Chinese didn't want any global influence.

Things change.

jrandom
9th July 2009, 10:51
They're not trying. They don't need to and in the short term is doesn't affect NZ at all. 200 years ago the US had next to no global influence. 200 years ago the Chinese didn't want any global influence.

Things change.

Don't equate the US and China.

Interesting and somewhat relevant article here (http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20090602_geography_recession). [Edit: You might need to click the link once to activate access to the site and then again to read the article itself.]

China is not, and has never been, easy to project global power from.

The USA, as an entity, was in its infancy 200 years ago and its global superpower status as of the latter half of the twentieth century is an inevitable result of the advantages it was born with.

China has been in more or less the same sociopolitinomic (heh) condition for five thousand years, and the fundamental drivers for that will never change.

James Deuce
9th July 2009, 11:02
I wasn't comparing them at all.

I was pointing out that things change. The US can no longer be regarded as a credible world power in my book.

China's socio-political drivers have changed since 1947, largely because their population as grown by a factor of 6 since the Boxer rebellion. Population pressures are pushing the upper strata of Chinese society out around the Pacific ring and these people are making new countries their home and naturally increasing the ties these countries have to China. China has no interest in force projection, and haven't since the Eunuch Admiral mapped the planet.

The ratio of Chinese to other Ethnic populations will skyrocket over the next century around the Pacific rim, and there will little or no malicious intent in it.

Mr Merde
9th July 2009, 11:06
Don't equate the US and China.

Interesting and somewhat relevant article here (http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20090602_geography_recession).

China is not, and has never been, easy to project global power from.

The USA, as an entity, was in its infancy 200 years ago and its global superpower status as of the latter half of the twentieth century is an inevitable result of the advantages it was born with.

China has been in more or less the same sociopolitinomic (heh) condition for five thousand years, and the fundamental drivers for that will never change.

The growth of the USA as a world supoer power started 111 years ago with the US invasion of Cuba and the war with Spain. This was in 1998, the same year they annexed Hawaii. As a result of the US Spanish war the countries of Cuba, the Phillipines and Guam were given over to the USA. This was the start of the USA's expansion as a world power.

As an extension to this rise in world dominance they very wisely arrived late to two world wars thereby being able to claim that without them both would have been lost. After WW1 they made further inroads with the aquisition of Western Samoa from the Germans.

Clockwork
9th July 2009, 11:19
I've volunteered in India and you are absolutely right - we don't know what poverty is in NZ.

Doubtlessly my opinion is coloured by the fact tat I fully exepct to lose my job to India before I retire but... FWIW that country can give up its space program and its nuclear weapons before I will willingly give money to relieve their poverty!

jrandom
9th July 2009, 11:22
these people are making new countries their home and naturally increasing the ties these countries have to China...

Immigrant Chinese populations increase their new home countries' ties to China?

I'm dubious.

China's a shithole and always has been. Emigrants, as far as I can tell, just want to get the hell out of it and live somewhere nicer. They're not moving due to 'population pressure'.

I don't really see that as a process likely to result in 'increasing ties'.

And if not projected military power, can you quantify what you mean by China's 'influence'?

All sounds a bit airy-fairy to me. If a country's economy is permanently tottering and it can't project any military power, it's a nonentity as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

James Deuce
9th July 2009, 11:28
That's cool, you're entitled to your opinion.

jrandom
9th July 2009, 11:33
That's cool, you're entitled to your opinion.

Refusal to engage is so irritating.

:girlfight:

Mully
9th July 2009, 11:43
Refusal to engage is so irritating.

Hmm, Jrandom's kryptonite has been discovered.......

jrandom
9th July 2009, 11:47
Hmm, Jrandom's kryptonite has been discovered.......

Jim2's known about it for years.

Mully
9th July 2009, 11:51
Jim2's known about it for years.

Well, he should have shared it around.

Although, that probably wouldn't stop the Jrandom Fan Club (tm) engaging you anyway.

mynameis
9th July 2009, 11:59

Things change.

Do you realise how much investment Kiwis have made into these small Island Countries (Fiji Tonga and Samoa) - Tourism is just one area.

wbks
9th July 2009, 12:00
Ok I said that wrong. I mean, say China gets more influence in the Islands. So how does that take over NZ?

Mr Merde
9th July 2009, 12:01
Do you realise how much investment Kiwis have made into these small Island Countries (Fiji Tonga and Samoa) - Tourism is just one area.

Yep

In the 50's, 60's and 70's we gave them Ponsonby.

Since then we have taken that back and given them Otara and Otahuhu instead.

mynameis
9th July 2009, 12:03
Yep

In the 50's, 60's and 70's we gave them Ponsonby.

Since then we have taken that back and given them Otara and Otahuhu instead.

LOl...they are on the Shore now as well !!

Anyways besides that, I am talking about ordinary Kiwi's stake into these countries, in terms of investment. Runs into the millions obviously.

Given their biggest income earners is tourism and a lot of hotels/resorts ect are owned by Kiwis and Auzzies.

mynameis
9th July 2009, 12:06
Ok I said that wrong. I mean, say China gets more influence in the Islands. So how does that take over NZ?

Not what Robert said in his initial post, it doesn't take over NZ but makes things a lot difficult for Kiwi's who have invested in these countries.

Makes more sense for NZ and Auz government to have more influence on these countries then China. Hence once of the reasons why Auz and NZ are so involved in Island Nations.

Drogen Omen
9th July 2009, 15:45
Australia gave A$19.3 million in 08-09.

Australian population 21 million.

if they only gave that much the why the FUCK are we matching their donation??? we are a quarter in population size to Australia...

"John Key what the FUCK are you doing..." :angry2:

twistemotion
9th July 2009, 19:41
While we're on the topic...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/2579751/China-raised-in-aid-dispute

Winston001
9th July 2009, 20:23
Exactly. NZ and OZ have to keep China from taking control of the island nations, and unfortunately it means giving substantial aid. China is ready and very willing to give "aid" anywhere to get a foothold. It's happening in Africa where they're building roads and other infrastructure at their cost and then shipping natural resources away.

Agreed. The influence is subtle but real. With "friendship" comes preferential fishing rights, airfields, military bases, food production.......Nothing hard and in your face, just a quiet longterm building up of reliance and control.

In Africa, China and other nations are buying/leasing large tracts of land to produce food for their home populations. All perfectly lawful although local politicians palms might be greased.

However this strategy is fraught with risk. African states don't have a great record of honouring contracts with outsiders. Famine and revolution are quite likely to rip away these investments.

NighthawkNZ
9th July 2009, 20:34
Niue premier impatient waiting for NZ aid

The premier of Niue has told Prime Minister John Key he will turn to other countries for financial assistance, if <ygg:entity ref="#WH7btmgY3RG1aCOGXWfsEA" id="t2">New Zealand</ygg:entity> doesn't soon release aid money.
Toke Talagi said today his country needed aid urgently to develop the economy by spending in areas such as tourism.
While extra money had been tagged for Niue on top of New Zealand's annual aid commitments, Mr Key said on TV One News that the Government wanted a brief on how the money would be spent before it was released.
"I don't think that's an unreasonable request from the taxpayers of <ygg:entity ref="#WH7btmgY3RG1aCOGXWfsEA" id="t3">New Zealand</ygg:entity> to know that their hard earned tax dollars are actually making a difference in the areas where we give aid," he said.
Mr Talagi said all the money received from <ygg:entity ref="#WH7btmgY3RG1aCOGXWfsEA" id="t4">New Zealand</ygg:entity> was accountable annually.
He didn't accept suggestions otherwise and indicated he was growing impatient.
"I cannot continue to spend five years waiting on funds that are needed now to spend on tourism -- can't do that," he said.
Mr Key was on the third day of a four-day Pacific trip.

then you get them put there hand out saying hurry up...

Dave Lobster
9th July 2009, 20:37
African states don't have a great record of honouring contracts with outsiders. Famine and revolution are quite likely to rip away these investments.

They do have a habit of killing each other with sticks/spears/machine guns.

Saves the chinese from doing it for them.

mynameis
10th July 2009, 11:42
Did you see Nuiean PM put pressure on John Key and make demands. Silly prick.

Mr Merde
10th July 2009, 11:48
Did you see Nuiean PM put pressure on John Key and make demands. Silly prick.

Yep, 4 million dollars a year with a request to raise it to 16 million dollars. For 1600 people, and out of our tax dollars.

Let them go to China and make demands on the Bejing government.

want-a-harley
10th July 2009, 13:46
if they only gave that much the why the FUCK are we matching their donation??? we are a quarter in population size to Australia...

"John Key what the FUCK are you doing..." :angry2:

NZAID's main area of focus are the Pacific Island countries.

AUS AID is currently operating programs in five separate regions: Papua New Guinea, South Asia, East Asia , the Pacific and the Middle East

I imagine that's why our contributions to the Pacific are quite close.

Drogen Omen
10th July 2009, 13:56
While we're on the topic...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/2579751/China-raised-in-aid-dispute

Niue...? what the fuck are they going to do for us...

population = 1600

wonder where the $$$ is going to go... oh wait looked like the Niue Primier was wearing some pretty expensive shit... didn't see his car but im guessing it was a $150,000 black Merc with tinted windows...

maybe he needs the money to through sex parties like the Italian president/priminister... whatever...

twistemotion
10th July 2009, 14:27
wonder where the $$$ is going to go...
Lamb flaps maybe... and then the cost of treatment for diabetes and associated disorders. :Pokey:

Mr Merde
10th July 2009, 14:30
Niue...? what the fuck are they going to do for us...

population = 1600

wonder where the $$$ is going to go... oh wait looked like the Niue Primier was wearing some pretty expensive shit... didn't see his car but im guessing it was a $150,000 black Merc with tinted windows...

maybe he needs the money to through sex parties like the Italian president/priminister... whatever...

It's only $10,000 per person.

We wont miss it being deducted from our wages in the form of another tax.

I could do with another $10,000 a year.

Robert Taylor
11th July 2009, 17:55
Agreed. The influence is subtle but real. With "friendship" comes preferential fishing rights, airfields, military bases, food production.......Nothing hard and in your face, just a quiet longterm building up of reliance and control.

In for Africa, China and other nations are buying/leasing large tracts of land to produce fod for their home populations. All perfectly lawful although local politicians palms might be greased.

However this strategy is fraught with risk. African states don't have a great record of honouring contracts with outsiders. Famine and revolution are quite likely to rip away these investments.

EXACTLY. Its also noticable that the armed forces are not a political football in Australia. Even though I pathologically dislike all Labour Governments I will give Kevin Rudd his due in expanding the Aussie armed forces to have some anglo saxon influence over the region. And Im not for one moment apologising for saying it in that way!
Meanwhile here in NZ our armed forces are a disgrace and incapable of confronting any future threat to our economic zone.