PDA

View Full Version : Rainx and visors?

slofox
8th July 2009, 16:09
Anyone used Rainx on a visor? Did it munt the plastic?

NinjaNanna
8th July 2009, 17:27
don't know about RainX - but FogX was fine on various ones of mine.

Sparky Bills
8th July 2009, 17:31
Prestone dude.
I havnt used the RainX brand myself.

Otherwise there is a new product called Holts Anti Mist and Water Repellent spray. $15 for a 300mL can.
Bike shops are able to order it in if they dont stock it.

slofox
8th July 2009, 17:58
I asked the dude at Repco for Prestone an' 'e said "we ain't nivva sold that brand mate..."

So I bought Rain.x instead...

dipshit
8th July 2009, 18:11
I tried Rain.x on my visor once. Didn't like it as it made visibility worse when it rained as you end up with lots of small sized beading that is actually harder to see through.

Mort
8th July 2009, 18:11
I've used it - it works fine on a visor. For a car windshield you have to keep applying it or it goes patchy. Read the instructions about applying...

neil_cb125t
8th July 2009, 18:18
pledge is what i use - its a wax which makes the water bead - @100k just turn your head and it all falls away.

cowpoos
8th July 2009, 19:24
do a really good job of cleaning your visor first...rinse with heaps of water then apply as instructions say...works bloody mint!! Used it on various brands of helmet visors for years...its a mint product!! FogX for the inside of the visor is a goodie too.

fizbin
8th July 2009, 19:35
pledge is what i use - its a wax which makes the water bead - @100k just turn your head and it all falls away.

30 second spray and walk away!
sorry long shitty day!
I used rainx all last winter works well i never had any problems with it. Although it did take me a couple of try's to get the application right.

MaxCannon
8th July 2009, 21:31
I did a test when I got my new helmet

Didn't apply any rain off stuff at all
No polish
No nikwax
Nothing

The rain doesn't stick to it any better or any worse than the old helmet which I used nikwax visor treatment on.

I do clean it with a touch of dishwashing liquid every week - perhaps this helps the water bead - perhaps not.
Either way - I can't stand looking through a dirty visor.

boman
8th July 2009, 21:37

I have on my old FFM and fogx on the inside. It did not affect the visor at all. Worked great in the rain tho.

slofox
22nd July 2009, 13:33
Have used the Rainx with no ill effects to the plastic.
It does help in heavy fog - doesn't cure but helps. Better with than without shall we say...

Blackbird
22nd July 2009, 13:40
Rain X is ok provided you have a lexan toughened visor as per the more expensive helmets. On the cheaper visors, the solvent will cause eventual embrittlement. I used Rain X for 2 or 3 years on my last Shoei with no probs at all. I now use Nikwax Visor Proof spray and that's really good. Got it from Boyd's.

hospitalfood
22nd July 2009, 13:50
i found rainx did not last long. that could have been due to washing which i do with dishwashing detergent. rainx helps with the rain but not the bugs and dirt and when you wash off the bugs and dirt you can lose the rainx.

I would try a car/bike wax, it should work and if it does you can use one product for both.

p.dath
22nd July 2009, 15:07
I tried RainX once on a car windshield and wasn't very impressed with it. I'm not confident it didn't make the siutation worse.

So I have a half full bottle that I don't want to use the rest of. May have thrown it out now.

slofox
22nd July 2009, 16:39
I have reapplied it twice since first use. I do think it comes off over not too much time.
It's mainly for riding in thick fog that I use it, bein' as 'ow I ride in a swamp basin that's full of fog...
Yesterday coming up the west bank of the river through thick fog, I found the visor did not become completely opaque at any time and that I had to wipe it less often than without the treatment. Like I said, better than no treatment but not perfect.

Sparky Bills
22nd July 2009, 17:36
I asked the dude at Repco for Prestone an' 'e said "we ain't nivva sold that brand mate..."

So I bought Rain.x instead...

Thats interesting...
I used to work at Repco about 8 years ago... Thats when I bought the bottle I have today.
Maybe they stopped selling it.

slofox
22nd July 2009, 18:25
Thats interesting...
I used to work at Repco about 8 years ago... Thats when I bought the bottle I have today.
Maybe they stopped selling it.

Nah - more like the dude I talked to was just a fuckwit....

mrBeir
8th December 2009, 15:15
YES IVE USED RAIN-X ON A VISOR & ITS OK .compared to some crap that comes outta the sky & from the road ..its safe