PDA

View Full Version : Good computer map programme?

naphazoline
8th July 2009, 21:19
Hi folks.

I'm looking for a programme for my PC,that i can use regional maps of New Zealand to plan ride routes.
So it will need to have ALL the regions roads,not just the mains,and preferably be able to highlight the route intended for the ride/s.

A freebie would be great,but if i gotta pay that's all good,but i'm not looking to break the bank,as i wont be using it that much.

I would use Google maps,but dial up internet is all i can get, ( Or so Telecom would lead me to believe :angry2::bash::argh:), and it's diabolically slow.:yawn:

I've done a search to see what i could turn up,but didn't find anything i was after.

Any help/info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Naph'

wickle
8th July 2009, 21:46
Online : AAmaps
yellowmaps

but will be slow if u can only have dialup. local exchange here is already overload for broadband, and can get really slow some days so telecom might be telling truth

Solly
8th July 2009, 21:53
Maybe Tumonz

Gremlin
9th July 2009, 01:30
Garmin Mapsource is free, just have to tweak it so it installs without the CD (all the instructions are on the web), then download NZ Open Source GPS Maps (http://www.nzopengps.org) and you're set.

dialup will make it a bit fun getting, maybe a mate could help depending where you are (nomadic isn't a good location ;)) but you can highlight route, plan, distances, and should have pretty much every public road in NZ.

Icemaestro
9th July 2009, 05:28
I have a version of I-go that works on pc. It's a specific version that is the only one that will work on the computer but I can't find what one it is.. 8.somethingorather. anyway, it works without the use of the internet. if you have a windows mobile phone it will work on that too, and be able to use the inbuilt gps if you have it.

Fooman
9th July 2009, 09:45
In the day, you could get the 260 series 1:50000 topographic maps on a set of CD's (along with smaller scale maps and aerial photos). They come up on trademe every now and then.

A version of them are available online for free at www.nztopoonline.linz.govt.nz but it is bandwidth intensive.

Cheers,
FM

jim.cox
9th July 2009, 09:52
Hi folks.

I'm looking for a programme for my PC,that i can use regional maps of New Zealand to plan ride routes.
So it will need to have ALL the regions roads,not just the mains,and preferably be able to highlight the route intended for the ride/s.

A freebie would be great,but if i gotta pay that's all good,but i'm not looking to break the bank,as i wont be using it that much.

another ++1 vole for the NZ Open Source GPS Maps