PDA

View Full Version : Advice on living/student allowance?

Icemaestro
9th July 2009, 06:15
Hi,

So to cut a long story short - Have been living at home the last 3 years of uni (only half a year to go hopefully), dad makes too much for me to qualify for a student allowance, though the only help i get is rent free board (have to pay for and do all meals etc, which is fair). Anyway dad's moving out, I've been asked to start paying full rent 100-150/week. I currently earn 150$/week (I have to work monday-friday full time as a part of my degree for free, then I work both days on the weekend for that money, and about 2h here and there after work during the week).

Given dad just moved out, can i qualify for a student allowance? Cause otherwise I'm going to have to move out (not so bad I guess), which I really have no energy or time to do right now.
Oh. Have a student loan too.

Any help/advice is much appreciated...I know I'm asking on a motorcycle forum but hey...figured someone might be able to give their uninvolved opinion.

Rcktfsh
9th July 2009, 07:26
If you are only supported by one parent then only that parents income will be assessed when working out if you qualify for a student allowance. Your father would have to be totally out of the scene and providing no support. Best to get in touch with studylink( www.studylink.govt.nz ) and discuss it with them

Quasi
9th July 2009, 08:37
Hi,

So to cut a long story short - Have been living at home the last 3 years of uni (only half a year to go hopefully), dad makes too much for me to qualify for a student allowance, though the only help i get is rent free board (have to pay for and do all meals etc, which is fair). Anyway dad's moving out, I've been asked to start paying full rent 100-150/week. I currently earn 150$/week (I have to work monday-friday full time as a part of my degree for free, then I work both days on the weekend for that money, and about 2h here and there after work during the week).

Given dad just moved out, can i qualify for a student allowance? Cause otherwise I'm going to have to move out (not so bad I guess), which I really have no energy or time to do right now.
Oh. Have a student loan too.

Any help/advice is much appreciated...I know I'm asking on a motorcycle forum but hey...figured someone might be able to give their uninvolved opinion.

You can be assessed on one parent income for various reasons including if you have total alienation from ther other parent. You just need to explain on the application document. Its relatively easy and its definately worth following up. Its all online on studylink.co.nz. Good luck

R6_kid
9th July 2009, 10:52
Do you not already claim the $160/wk living costs? You have to pay it back but it's better than nothing.

Magua
9th July 2009, 11:02
In order to qualify for the one parent assessment you're not supposed to have any contact with the other parent. My father lives in Wellington and doesn't contribute anything financially, yet studylink still assess his income as I'm in contact with him.

Squiggles
9th July 2009, 13:16
I'd go flatting if i was going to be paying that sorta $$. You can always go the loan way, if you've done 3 years already how much longer do you have left?

Edit: Join us.... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84 :D

steve_t
9th July 2009, 13:31
Yeah, talk to Studylink. You may also qualify for an Accommodation Supplement which I believe is another $40 a week... maybe more. It was $40 years and years ago

entro
9th July 2009, 16:20
Yeah, talk to Studylink. You may also qualify for an Accommodation Supplement which I believe is another $40 a week... maybe more. It was $40 years and years ago

Still is $40 last I checked, studylink will still use both parents income..bastards

cerberus
9th July 2009, 18:50
I doubt you'd qualify for the Accomodation Supplement, you need to qualify for student allowance first. If you don't qualify for the allowance then as mentioned above there's always the loan. At least you'd only have a year and a half on the loan, I've got four years to pay off...

$100/week doesn't sound too bad especially considering you're up in Auckland. Go in and make an appointment to see studylink, once you're talking to them face to face they seem to be a little more willing to give you useful information and if they know your exact situation they may be able to find some benefit you qualify for.

Icemaestro
9th July 2009, 22:50
Do you not already claim the $160/wk living costs? You have to pay it back but it's better than nothing.
Yes I do claim that - the interest from that is paying off my student loan a little, plus Mum needs some of the money from the hopefully allowance as dad isn't going to support at all and I have a sister too.

Icemaestro
9th July 2009, 22:52
I'd go flatting if i was going to be paying that sorta $$. You can always go the loan way, if you've done 3 years already how much longer do you have left?

Edit: Join us.... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84 :D
I've got about 6 months left given I can stay on top of things - I'm in the last year of physio - involves an entire year of working 45h weeks for free pluss the occasional weekend (meaning have to get time off from my two part time jobs every so often too) plus a full research systematic review and research proposal or study. Sigh.

Icemaestro
9th July 2009, 22:54
Thanks all. Will try call them in my 5min lunch break tomorrow...the phones are only good during business hours damnit :-|

mynameis
10th July 2009, 00:22
Mate the only thing I can say is, you've been there for last 3 years of your Uni life (and I assume you have always lived at home) and you've come a long way.

You have only 1 more semester to go and then you'd be hopefully earning decent money compared to now. Just stay at home and tough it out for now and you'll reap the rewards later.

And like you say you don't have the energy to move out as you're working 7 days, might not be a good idea to move out, time, effort, money, change of environment ect..ect..

I am sure your Mum and Sister would want you to stay as well given Dad has moved out.

Worst case scenario sell your bike, bus to work. The money you get out of it should makes things a lot easier for next semester.

Remember the sacrifices you make now will pay off later on.