PDA

View Full Version : What's in your toolbag?

Dodgyiti
10th July 2009, 08:05
What you carry onboard for emergencies is usually learned from experience/experiences.
So what do you carry on a trip to see you through any predicaments that may occur?

Some toolbags may of course be influenced by the bike you ride, for example: on longer trips I take a points plate with points attached (I leave the condensers attached to the dist) in case my electronic ign gives up the ghost.

But I am interested to learn any other things to carry, new gizmos, and what hand inflator is small enough to carry, but will still inflate a tyre from flat.

I was hucking out my tool bag yesterday and here was the contents:

10-12 open ender
13-17 open ender
3' crescent
pliers/sidecutters
4 way small/large philips/flat screwdriver
plug socket with spare plug inside
M10 & M6 bolt with a few nuts and some spring washers and washers
lenght of electrical wire
lenght of piano wire in stainless steel
thread tape and electrical tape end rolls
mini wire brush with the handle snapped off
mini tube of super glue
mini maglight
selection of cable ties
1 small & 1 medium hose clip

I did also find 2 tyre levers, but no repair kit... hence it needed a huck out.
All the above fits into a small take-out plastic tray, like the ones you get a takeaway curry in.. mmm butter chicken:clap:

I have tried taking one of those multi tools, but other than the pliers the rest is difficult to use, especially the screwdrivers so I abandoned that and went back to old school tools.

So come on, what are you carrying?

crazyhorse
10th July 2009, 08:10
The tools my bike came with - and i know how to use them too - esp to help the guys who've removed theirs - :doh:

Dodgyiti
10th July 2009, 08:16
The tools my bike came with - and i know how to use them too - esp to help the guys who've removed theirs - :doh:

Haa!
I would not expect a 2001 Suzi to give many problems anyway, pretty bomb proof bikes. Too true about people removing the tool kits from modern bikes, you will never need them until you remove them :msn-wink:

Edit: I should also mention the cell phone with my long suffering g/f's number on speed dial and the spare set of ute keys...

vifferman
10th July 2009, 08:55
This got me thinking...
Since I started riding (mostly those ghey Hondas that everyone loves to pan), way back in 1973, I can't recall EVER needing my toolkit (apart from at home in the gargre, for routine maintenance). Apart from two R/Rs, three slow punctures, and a footpeg that fell off due to too many wheelies and too much dirt riding (on a road bike :rolleyes:), I've had zero failures.
Makes me wonder if I could save some weight, perhaps use the space under the seat for something else.
Lunch?
More gadgets?

NighthawkNZ
10th July 2009, 09:24

Cell Phone, AA Card

crazyhorse
10th July 2009, 09:59
Haa!
I would not expect a 2001 Suzi to give many problems anyway, pretty bomb proof bikes. Too true about people removing the tool kits from modern bikes, you will never need them until you remove them :msn-wink:

Edit: I should also mention the cell phone with my long suffering g/f's number on speed dial and the spare set of ute keys...

Well, you are right about that - they are pretty much a problem free bike - oh well, I still would want the tools it comes with to be there - and yeah, cellphone is a must :clap:

Ixion
10th July 2009, 10:33
We done this before.

Depends a bit on the bike, some have luggage limitations

Modern bikes are pretty reliable , we don't need to be as prepared as we once were.

The Uberfarter has heaps of luggage space. So I can carry

Jumper cables
Rope
Torch and flashing beacon thingie
Araldite
Vicegrips
Ring spanner set
Couple of selected sockets and a small T bar
6" 8" 10" adjustables
Screwdriver set
Electrical wire
baling wire
Linesmans pliers
Needle nose pliers
Side cutters
Allen keys
Tie downs
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Length of hose
tyre levers
Water
Juice
V
chocolate
peanuts
Assorted nuts and bolts
Fuses
Spare bulbs
Spare clutch cable
Spare oil
glue
sparkplugs
bungee cords
Cable ties.

and an umbrella

If going on a long trip I'll throw more stuff in

Plus a chain connecting link on chain drive machines

And I always carry my Swiss Army knife.And matches and kero to make a fire

In my BSA Bantam days I used to carry a spare piston and rings on trips.
Used it, too.

EDIT: Oh I left out the most important item : Beer. Speights of course

EDIT: I omitted puncture repair kit. And a spare tube if tyres are tubed.

A few spare spokes are handy.

jim.cox
10th July 2009, 11:17

Plug spanner & two spare plugs.

And an allen key

Viscount Montgomery
10th July 2009, 18:15
OK, on any sort of ride distance, just whatever will fit in the bikes' impressively skinny toolbox., that's bits of string, wire & tape, a scattering of fuses, 3 jappo-bike double spanners 8mm to 19mm, AND one 13mm spanner, plugspanner, a plug or two, one plain screwdriver for levering stuff, and no dodgy phillips head stuff, one pair of crappy nasty jappo- toolkit 2-position pliers that seem to always get bloody used for something or other, and one hack-sawed down, taped beside the battery, gotta swing on ya leg length 24mm spanner for the back axle. The tools wrapped in a biggish rag and unceremoniously jammed into the bikes' skimpy plastic toolbox, usually with some swearing and cursing to get the lid shut on the bastards

Motu
10th July 2009, 18:43
The BMW has a very good tool kit,and I just supplement it with my MotioPro,Schrade multitool,and a couple of Cresents,one a wide reversing jaw....which is pointless with no axle nut.The stock seat has extra storage space,and so I have puncture repair kits,tubeless or tube depending on which wheels I'm running,first aid kit,hip flask,tyre levers,peanuts and raisins,tape,ties etc.With my solo seat I leave all that behind or use a tank bag.

AllanB
10th July 2009, 18:47
Whatever Honda put in that pouch! Never need it.

I did need a tool kit on a Suzuki once .........:bleh:

And years ago a roadside plug clean or change would occasionally happen on a old bike.

I do carry one of those flat tyre repair kits - apparently even a Honda can get a flat :devil2:

Dodgyiti
11th July 2009, 07:27
Ixion- yeah I know we did this ages ago, before the Classic Bike section though and it was proliferated with modern bike owners saying things like "the toolkit the bike came with" and "cellphone and credit card" or "never needed anything" which as an owner of a classic bike over a quarter of a century old and been around the clock a few times - does not cut it, as you well know.
Impressive tool kit you carry, surprised to not read about the waterless hand cleaner and rags?

Motu- I knock BMW's a bit. But I have to agree that the kit supplied with the earlier Boxers is brilliant, the only thing they don't supply is the big arse spanner for cracking the exhaust flanges off, but I never needed that on the side of the road anyway. I've never seen a complete or even partial roundbarrel Guzzi toolkit (I've only had one that actually had the tool tray let alone anything in it) so I can't compare but I bet it was crap.

What I was hoping to do by posting this in the classics area is learn a bit from those who have learned the hard way so I don't have to.

At least Anthrax (a new 'old Guzzi' owner) can mirror my toolkit for future reference.

Come on you guys- what about a recommendation for a decent small tyre inflator pump??

Motu
11th July 2009, 13:28
the kit supplied with the earlier Boxers is brilliant, the only thing they don't supply is the big arse spanner for cracking the exhaust flanges off

I've got an exhaust nut spanner laser cut out of plate,it's short and has a 1/2 square hole in for a powerbar.So I can carry it with me if needed.The only thing missing from my tool kit is the big box spanner to do the swing arm nuts and top fork nuts....thing I hope I don't need to do on the road.Otherwise the standard kit is enough to do almost anything on the bike.

The only other thing I'd like to carry with me is an ignition module - every ride I look for an abandoned Lada Samara or other euro car from the '80's,they most often run the same module as BMW.

Even though you posted this in Classics,we still got the modern riders with ''whatever came in with the bike'',or ''cell phone and credit card.''

Ixion
11th July 2009, 13:50
,, surprised to not read about the waterless hand cleaner and rags?

I got petrol in the tank, and a shirt, ain't I. That's waterless hand cleaner and rags isn't it?

zx rider
11th July 2009, 14:03
I got petrol in the tank, and a shirt, ain't I. That's waterless hand cleaner and rags isn't it?

I agree. :niceone:

My bike is well serviced and utterly reliable. The OE tool pouch is in the garage (that weighs 1.5kg you know)
I take a bottle of water (for me to drink) and the trusty cellphone.That's it.
After all it's NZ, not the Paris-Dakar rally.

Motu
11th July 2009, 14:14
My bike is well serviced and reliable too - but it's 22 years old,and some of the riders here think it's not old enough to be a classic.But I reckon any black bike is good enough.

Swoop
11th July 2009, 20:08
3' crescent
That is a big tool!

wickle
11th July 2009, 20:39
spare clutch and throttle cables, plus spare fuses, glass and blade ( given alot away)

dangerous
11th July 2009, 20:51

FFS... ya 1100 is a carb right?

BOSCH 0 332 207 302 :niceone:

Dodgyiti
12th July 2009, 09:17
FFS... ya 1100 is a carb right?

BOSCH 0 332 207 302 :niceone:

Ha! No way, the Mk2 has a 1000cc Mk4/5 engine but I deleted the dist in favour of a crank triggered ign... got ya!:bleh:

3 inch crescent is a big tool but it gets all the axle nuts, swing arm nuts and is a handy hammer/prybar too.

Motu- get the swingarm nut spanner lazer cut too, mine came loose one ride and was glad to have it in the kit, I'm not sure if Max ended up with my one, I will have a looksee if I still have it for you.

Voltaire
12th July 2009, 16:37
Did a 4 month tour of Europe with the BMW toolkit, handy when you needed to change a gearbox on the side of the road...true.
Swingarm socket was just a machined down standard socket.

For here just phone/AA card/Credit Card.....anyway if my Ducati breaks down it's unlikely I can fix it...just gotta hope it conks out in front of a cafe.

Dodgyiti
13th July 2009, 07:47
anyway if my Ducati breaks down it's unlikely I can fix it...just gotta hope it conks out in front of a cafe.

:clap:

:mobile:

:apint: