PDA

View Full Version : Need help with XV250 puzzle

SlashWylde
28th March 2005, 18:01
The other day I noticed the two connectors in the attached photos on my 1992 model XV250 were unplugged, as far as I know they've always been like that and the bike seems to run fine. Does any one have an idea what they are for, and whether or not they should be plugged in?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Motu
28th March 2005, 19:08
They usualy only make one wiring loom to cover all models and all markets for a bike,probably just an extra that does nothing at all.

louisb
28th March 2005, 19:12
Looks like either a temperature sender\senser (if so it may be faulty, reason why it's disconnected), or could be a heating element for really cold weather to stop carb icing, would explain why not having it connected doesnt really matter.

Maybe someone else has worked on these, and might know.

??

SlashWylde
28th March 2005, 19:14
True but I'm not sure about this as there is a 'bullet' and 'spade' connector on the carby and I figure thats where the wires should be connected - maybe.

SlashWylde
28th March 2005, 19:16
Looks like either a temperature sender\senser (if so it may be faulty, reason why it's disconnected), or could be a heating element for really cold weather to stop carb icing, would explain why not having it connected doesnt really matter.

Maybe someone else has worked on these, and might know.

??
Hmm, those are some good ideas. Thanks for the advice.

louisb
28th March 2005, 19:17
Have you connected the plugs? does it make any difference?

sAsLEX
28th March 2005, 19:19
link thing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960692904&category=34239&sspagename=WD1V)

there is a manual for your bike i think here ,for a price though

crashe
28th March 2005, 19:24
just going out to my garage to check out my bike for you...
Will let you know soon.

crashe
28th March 2005, 19:34
Ok both my wires are plugged in...
I have the wee manuel book in front of me...
I have the wiring diagram XV250F that I can scan and email it to you.
so PM me your email addy or you are most welcome to swing by and see on my bike...

The wee manuel book doesnt show that part... not that I could see it...

SlashWylde
28th March 2005, 19:56
Well I plugged the wires in and ran the bike...no noticible difference at room temperature and in neutral. I'll take her for a ride tomorrow and we'll see if anything happens at speed.

For what it's worth I measured an open circuit between the terminals on the carb and the same between the hanging wires. I suppose I could try spraying the "sensor" with freeze spray to see if a switch actuates or something...

I have a hard copy manual for this bike but it doesn'y mention anything about it.

Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate the advice of the good people on this site :niceone:

crashe
28th March 2005, 20:08
scanned the wiring diagram for you and its on its way to you...

Hope you can read it ok... if not let me know.

Waylander
28th March 2005, 20:13
If that doesn't work I could see about scanning my book (have one that covers all engine sizes and years of the Virago's) so let me know if you're still having trouble and I'll try and get it to you.

louisb
28th March 2005, 20:35
Been looking around the net and I think it's the carb heater, to stop icing in freezing weather.

It might be disconnected because it's faulty. Maybe it'll drain the battery???

Just a thought.

SlashWylde
28th March 2005, 22:19
Been looking around the net and I think it's the carb heater, to stop icing in freezing weather.

It might be disconnected because it's faulty. Maybe it'll drain the battery???

Just a thought.

I think you're right about it being a heater, the wiring diagram crashe sent me shows a 'Heater' which is powered via a 'Thermo Switch'.

Given that the 'Heater' terminals read open circuit it is probably not working and hance shouldn't drain the battery, but I wouldn't think the lack of a functional carb heater would matter in a North Island winter any way.

Odin
9th May 2005, 23:58
You could always take it to your local shop and have a freindly word with them. I'm sure that service would be free