PDA

View Full Version : Jim2's Easter Monday ride

Hitcher
28th March 2005, 18:16
Instruction from Jim2: "Be at Caltex Rimutaka at 10:00am. We're going for a ride."

Alarm clock set, bikes packed, tyre pressures checked. 10:00am at Caltex Rimutaka. Bikes fuelled and parked amongst the assembling multitudes.

Jim2 arrives and outlines the rules by which the ride shall be ridden. Noted.

We're off!

What a crackingly good day for a ride. The Harley/Buell gang think so too.

First official stop: The Flying Fush at Martinborough, where else? Tables jammed together for a group of about 12 riders, chairs found, coffees and food ordered. We then swelter in the sun awaiting the arrival of our consumables. Good biker banter. Lots of ribbing aimed at Harleys and Suzuki 1200s which, apparently were a bit like arseholes -- everybody's got one!

Fed and watered it was back out to the long line-up of bikes awaiting the rest of Jim2's excursion. After some false starts, a hard-core gang of four headed off after Jim2's banana (Jim2, Mangell6, Mooch, Mrs H and me). Off up the Middle Road, past "Stonehenge" and back to Gladstone. Off up to Masterton to the Mobil station for gas and wees.

The rest of the "dirty dozen" from Martinborough were there. Some dirtier than others. A stretch of fresh cow shit had been liberally applied to bikes and riders. Obviously some sort of biker fertility rite. Splendid!

The Fab 5 then headed off up SH2, turning off at Eketahuna (wear the fox hat) to Alfredton -- Plan B to avoid looming storm clouds further north.

A short stop for Mrs H to don her wets ensured that the day stayed fine.

After the requisite photo opportunity at Alfredton, three of our number carved the road back out to the Bideford turnoff, while Mrs H and I brought up the rear with a great deal of panache.

Into Masterton we went for coffee, snacks and wees at the cultural centre cafe.

And then, saying farewells, it was off home down SH2 with the gazillion cagers returning home after Easter.

A magnificent day. Almost too warm for this time of year. No rain, apart from the odd spit, and bugger all wind.

Thank you most kindly, Jim2 for your organisational skills and patience. The Hitchers had a great day out.

[Photos: The big gang at Martinborough; the Fab 5 minus 1 at Alfredton; primary coloured bikes and a chrome cruiser at Masterton; (L-R) Mangell6, Mooch, Jim2 and Hitcher]

James Deuce
28th March 2005, 18:25
Thanks for the write up and for joining us! Your company was most appreciated.
I'm framing that last picture. I haven't looked that little in ages! Must get more photos taken whilst in the company of this "select" group.

Thanks for the anti-rain dance Mrs Hitcher! :2thumbsup

Biff
28th March 2005, 18:31
Good write up Hitcher, and it's good to put some faces to infamous names.

stevedee
28th March 2005, 19:11
Hey I think I met you guys at the top of the Rimutakas around 5.30 this avo, sorry didn't click as usual.

Racey Rider
28th March 2005, 19:28
After some false starts, a hard-core gang of four headed off after Jim2's banana (Jim2, Mangell6, Mooch, Mrs H and me).

:nono:

Mrs H and I!

It should be "Mrs H and ..."

O never mind. As you were. :whistle:

James Deuce
28th March 2005, 19:36
Hey I think I met you guys at the top of the Rimutakas around 5.30 this avo, sorry didn't click as usual.

Haha! Now we know who YOU are.

Very nice bike stevedee.

Mooch
29th March 2005, 21:58
Nice to meet you both Mr & Mrs H , hope you didn't mind getting seen riding with a sportsbike. Some very interesting corning styles by Mangell6 and J2 , almost fell off laughing .....

mooch

Paul in NZ
29th March 2005, 22:13
Well I tried to join you :ride: but my plans fell apart... :whistle:

Dang...