PDA

View Full Version : Bridges can be icy even when the roads aren't

Molly
10th July 2009, 18:55
Kind of obvious really but today when crossing the Ashley Gorge bridge I thought my clutch was slipping until the back stepped out and I realised I was riding on ice!

So, on cold days, be extra careful on bridges.

This has been a public service announcement.

JimO
10th July 2009, 19:00
i hit some black ice in my work ute yesterday doing 100ks, no frost on side of road, outside temp reading 5dg, just about had a head on with a truck, a truly brown undy moment

Oakie
10th July 2009, 19:45
So, on cold days, be extra careful on bridges.

Yeah. That's because on a bridge there's no residual warmth from the ground to keep things 'warm' ... just cold air under and over the road surface chilling it from both sides. The other thing of course is that bridges go over rivers ... ie ... water ... and therefore there's often a bit more moisture in the air around bridges. You learn these things living in the MacKenzie Basin for 15 years.

Motu
10th July 2009, 19:51
Wood deck bridges are prone to ice,but there are not many left these days.Used to be a wood deck bridge that joined two out of line roads over a railway - it was fun to go over it when it was iced up,sliding from corner to corner,then snap it straight as you came off.

dipshit
10th July 2009, 20:31
Sounds like you people further north aren't that used to the colder weather. :oi-grr:

Yes bridges can be icy when the rest of the road isn't. Same with gorges, gullies, or low dips in the road. Cold air sinks down to the lowest point on cold still frosty nights. If there are high hills sloping down into a gully... all that cold air will drop to the gully floor and sit there. Even though you may be out on nice fine sunny roads... be prepared to suddenly find ice entering a gorge.

Plus also on fine frosty days - there usually isn't much wind to move warm air around, so even at 3 o'clock in the afternoon any section of road that is in shadow can still be icy. Be careful going around a corner in a cutting or with trees close by because all of a sudden you can find yourself on ice... even well after lunchtime.

Basically this time of year i don't go out on my bike until around midday... and will try to be home just before sundown as frost can start forming again very quickly as the sun sets. And i will be in take it easy cruise mode.

Taz
10th July 2009, 20:33
Almost got a Hiace van stuck in the snow today.........

Shadows
11th July 2009, 01:02
Kind of obvious really but today when crossing the Ashley Gorge bridge I thought my clutch was slipping until the back stepped out and I realised I was riding on ice!

The arse end of my 4X4 stepped right out coming off that bridge a couple of hours ago.

She's slippery out there alright. So is my sphincter.

Harvd
11th July 2009, 03:46
She's slippery out there alright. So is my sphincter.

Ewwww... careful out there kids

YellowDog
11th July 2009, 06:22
I have to cross a wooden bridge every day on my Postie bike. The track I can use is only 40cm and my line has to be spot on. Of late it has been pretty icey (even for Rural Auckland). Even when it is wet it is more than slippery enough.

I HATE WOODEN BRIDGES