PDA

View Full Version : Bike license law

phill-k
13th July 2009, 17:12
Greetings

First post but have been lurking for some time and gain a lot from the serious posts as well as a lot of laughs from some of the others.

Rode in my teens, coming back to biking, (mid life stuff) have done the BHC about 2 months ago, on a GN250 with my knees around my ears, well almost, usual story just over 6ft and around 100kg, and still no bike.

I would prefer a cruiser style sitting more up right than bent over, I've looked at them all (legal wise) and the biggest is the Hysung, but can't quite bring myself to it.

I've basically been a law abiding person all my life, but the wife made a statement to-day that's really got me thinking, get a bigger bike 700cc shadow or Suzuki C50, ride it well and don't bring attention to yourself, you going to lose a grand or so when you sell the 250 and that equals 2 or 3 $400 fines.

My riding will be for pleasure only, work from home, but the problem is I'm in a small town just north of Whangarei with a local copper who rides, so he might be more observant of a bike regularly around, and he and I don't like each other, and I'm sure the prick would well like to nail me, and if he did, I'd be marked until I had my full license.

I do feel a shadow coming on, dark clothing full face helmet, and register the bike in my mates name, what do think.

davereid
13th July 2009, 17:36
I think the law is an arse in this regard.

Lots of 250cc bikes are extremely fast, and not suitable for learners at all.

Lots of larger capacity bikes are well suited to learners.

But...

If you break the law and ride an entirely suitable but illegal bike, you will be uninsured. It may cost more than is worth.

So IMHO get a 250.

Ms Piggy
13th July 2009, 17:39
I think the law is an arse in this regard. Agree!

You can do those courses that reduce the period of time you need to be on your Learners and Restricted too - ends up costing you a lot more but might be less than a BIG ticket from a cop or no insurance cover if you have an off.

Ixion
13th July 2009, 17:40
.. get a bigger bike 700cc shadow or Suzuki C50, ride it well and don't bring attention to yourself, you going to lose a grand or so when you sell the 250 and that equals 2 or 3 $400 fines.

Doesn't factor in the 25 demerits each time though. Doesn't take too many of those to push youn into 3 months of walking. Also a bill currently before the select committee (ie it will be law in September) heavily increases the penalties for riding outside licence conditions, including vehicle impoundment . It's not really aimed at us, the dreaded boy racers again, but we'll be caught up in it, licence conditions is licence conditions no matter what the vehicle.

Mom
13th July 2009, 17:46
At your advanced age :dodge: once you have your learners will be able to sit your full in 12 months. Try for an exemption to buy a bigger bike. Your town is indeed a small one, dont give plod any excuse, fines are bastards and demerits mount quickly.

Welsome to KB too :sunny:

jono035
13th July 2009, 19:12
At your advanced age :dodge: once you have your learners will be able to sit your full in 12 months. Try for an exemption to buy a bigger bike. Your town is indeed a small one, dont give plod any excuse, fines are bastards and demerits mount quickly.

Welsome to KB too :sunny:

12 months if you do nothing, 9months with a defensive riding course or something. :D

And welcome!

p.dath
13th July 2009, 22:36
Why don't you apply for a dispensation for your licence because of your age and prior experience, so that you can legally ride a bigger bike?

Search for "exemption" or "endorsement" on this forum to get more info.