PDA

View Full Version : Riding from Wellington to Auckland this weekend (Maybe)

Stromble
13th July 2009, 17:36
Hey all,

Just bought a bike in Wellington, and planning to fly down this weekend and ride back.. looking at the weather, it keeps changing from Wet to dry and back again..

As Ive not ridden nor ever driver south of Taupo before, am I:

A) Mad for doing this at this time of year with the unpredictable weather?

B) Better to go down the biketranz route to get it shipped?

Only reason I dont really want to get it shipped is that I like to inspect the bike before I part with the cash..

Also, any tips/advice on the journey (Should I choose this option) would be useful..

Cheers..

***UPDATE***
Thanks all for the great advice, but in the end, I figured it was the wrong time of year for this trip.. and it was cheaper to use biketranz than to get kitted out properly and cost of flight/fuel/motel etc..

I will do this journey when the weather is better though, sounds like a great run!

davereid
13th July 2009, 17:38
Desert Road has been closed on and off with ice and snow. Pretty unsuitable environment to be riding a new bike.

but then again...

EJK
13th July 2009, 17:38
You will do A O K :niceone:
Just incase, plan an accomodation on your way up.

Stromble
13th July 2009, 17:39
Desert Road has been closed on and off with ice and snow. Pretty unsuitable environment to be riding a new bike.

but then again...

Ahhh, thats not good.!

Pussy
13th July 2009, 17:40
You could always go via New Plymouth if the Desert Rd is dodgy....

PirateJafa
13th July 2009, 17:40
Ride it.

Also, don't bother with the AA. Get Honda Rider's Club cover instead.

The AA will happily leave you in the cold, wet, darkness, miles from anywhere in the middle of Bumfuck Idaho with a no functioning lights, on the merest of technicalities.

PirateJafa
13th July 2009, 17:42

but then again...

Take a better route then. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1129291966#post1129291966)

shafty
13th July 2009, 17:56
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

- take your time and have the price of a motel in your back pocket - have fun!

Whatcha buy?

Stromble
13th July 2009, 18:01
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

- take your time and have the price of a motel in your back pocket - have fun!

Whatcha buy?

Good idea.! I bought a DL1000 (V-Strom)

shafty
13th July 2009, 18:04
Well done, noice choice! :niceone:

Mom
13th July 2009, 18:09
Hey all,

Just bought a bike in Wellington, and planning to fly down this weekend and ride back.. looking at the weather, it keeps changing from Wet to dry and back again..

Only reason I dont really want to get it shipped is that I like to inspect the bike before I part with the cash..

Also, any tips/advice on the journey (Should I choose this option) would be useful..

Cheers..

Interesting time of the year to be making that trip on 2 wheels. If you can ride in the wet and wind, and you take a bit of time to get used to your bike there is no reason not to make the trip. Do you have really warm gear? I am not talking about norfland styles warm gear, I am talking proper, waterproof, warm as toast gear. Cold will be your biggest obstacle. The roads can be marginal at this time of the year. Have a look at

http://www.transit.govt.nz/road/highwayinfo-north.jsp

It is regularly updated, and will let you know what the road conditions are like.

Dont forget too there are members along your route you can ask for road closure updates as you go. Good warm gear, a reliable bike, and a good attitude you should be fine. Make it an epic journey, take pics and crow about it later :yes:

Elysium
13th July 2009, 18:10
When I sold my bike to a guy in Aorkyland clos to a month ago I took SH4 from Wanganui through to Hamilton. There was a bit of road works going on after Wanganui so the bike got a lot of dirt and mud plus some parts of the road were not up to standards. Surprisingly on the way back by bus the Desert road was in good nick but most defintely all snow by now.

[edit] Like Mom said have the proper gear. I had a one peice rain suit I wore, sure in the end it leaked but the extra layer kept me real warm. Also simple thermals can work wonders. If there is one peice of equipment I can highly recommend, it's anti-fog tech for your helmet for when it rains.

junkmanjoe
13th July 2009, 20:46
Hey all,

Cheers..

Hi there.
if you left it till 23 / 24th this month, welly riders will be heading north in a group, to taupo.
have a look on the calander for MMMMM Adventure Ride 2009.
you be more than wellcome to join in on the way up.
my self ill be rideing seal only, and if desert road is looking a little sad, ill go round national park, and cut back in to taupo, vira national park.
ill be camping in taupo the night.
cheers.

Jizah
13th July 2009, 20:57
I'll ride it up if you get me a ticket back.

denefoster
13th July 2009, 21:07
Be a pretty rough ride.. pack warm gear and definitely consider a motel along the way. If you do need anything around Wellytown feel free to give me a pm. Am available to go have a look at a bike if you need it, or just a coffee/directions

rideon
13th July 2009, 21:36
I just bought a bike in welly & getting it shipped to Hamilton for 2 hundy. Taking a little risk in not seeing but bought a boat in similar manner a fews years back with no real drama. Couldnt do a round trip in car + bike fuel & accom for anywhere near this. I will be dry & warm as the bike makes its way "home"
All the best ............

Stromble
13th July 2009, 22:04
I just bought a bike in welly & getting it shipped to Hamilton for 2 hundy. Taking a little risk in not seeing but bought a boat in similar manner a fews years back with no real drama. Couldnt do a round trip in car + bike fuel & accom for anywhere near this. I will be dry & warm as the bike makes its way "home"
All the best ............

Thats not bad at all, who did you ship with?

Squiggles
14th July 2009, 00:08
If you do ride, beware that even on the nice days the desert road is still icy come mid afternoon and theres alot of grit on the road. Rest of the journey should be good

sunhuntin
14th July 2009, 10:03
if you do go via national park and the paras, stop in at the wanganui aa first, as the paras may be closed due to slips. weve had one already this winter, and it hasnt really even started yet.
road works south of wanganui are finished [travelled the road yesterday and the passing lane by duddings lake is completed... just cones etc to be removed.] dont know what things are like north of here though.

if you are able to go paras, just take your time... that road is a mongrel in good weather, never mind in possibly dodgy weather on a new bike. definately wear thermals and the warmest gloves you can find. a scarf would also be a good idea.

Mystic13
14th July 2009, 10:21
Like the others said I'd avoid the Dessert Road and go National Park. Aim to hit that area around 1pm. It'll put you in Aucks just at dark. And it'll give you the least chance of ice.

Wear a plastic outer if you don't have one. And hope for rain. If it's raining it is usually on and off. The temps will be quite a bit higher and there will be no ice.

Insure the bike before you pick it up.

It'll be a good ride.

Assuming I get enough work done by Friday I'm also riding down to Wgtn and back for the weekend so if you can ride back Sunday I'd join you. We like the long rides and don't stop often.

I'm taking my wife out to dinner in Wellington.

The central North Island temps are looking to be around 8 degrees if it's fine.

Edit, and I wouldn't do the paraparas.

J-rod
14th July 2009, 13:29
Weather looks a bit snot this weekend, but if you can take your time and maybe wait until the weather passes would be a fantastic ride, central North Island is a beautiful place to ride.
I agree with the others, avoid the desert road and go the back route from Waiouru through to Ohakune, its a really nice piece of road to ride. Out of Ohakune heading north, the only major ice obstacle is the bottom of the big train bridge hair pin (you'll know it when you see it about 15k north of Ohakune). After that, plain sailing, either take the long scenic route through national park(possiblity of ice)/taupo/kawerau/tirau/cambridge etc. or go straight through to Taumaranui/Te kuiti/otorohanga/pirongia/Ngaruawahia way.

Best of luck - takes some pics and post-em

gwigs
14th July 2009, 16:01
Why not do it,could be an adventure in the making...
Just be careful on an unfamiliar machine ...having said that by the time you get to Auck it would be a familiar machine.:Punk:

DarkLord
14th July 2009, 19:26
I tried this, and it cost me my bike. A few things -

Sleep well beforehand
Keep yourself well fed and watered
Check the bike thoroughly before you go
Pack some essentials (screwdriver, allen keys, CRC, chainlube etc)
Dress warmly
Keep your cellphone fully charged (you never know when you may need it)
be REALLY REALLY CAREFUL around the central plateau - Desert Rd to Turangi area - ice on the roads. I live in Taupo and hit some the other day - didn't come off but it was not an enjoyable experience.
Be safe - ride to the conditions - and if you feel tired or anything - take a rest and maybe even consider crashing at a motel overnight.

The time of year does affect matters, mainly due to the ice on the road due to the excessive cold around the central plateau.

Good luck.

ynot slow
14th July 2009, 20:10
Best of luck,and the new bike thing will seem old hat by the time you get to Turangi lol,or if in doubt on road go via the Naki,good trip then.

rideon
14th July 2009, 21:54
Thats not bad at all, who did you ship with?

Was a guy recommended to me by Boyds, shipping bikes is all he does, no furniture or general freight, not sure of his trading name. Was way cheaper than all the known movers on the scene. Give him a call for a quote - Dennis
0800 200 900.

Weather not looking good for a run up the Island......no matter how good your gear is & rain suit is , it does eventually get in. Rode Napier to Hamilton about 3 weeks ago ( from an aborted trip when bike broke down ) & it rained the whole damn way. Hands & feet were the worst ......boots now had waterproofing stuff applied.

New bike here Monday :wari:

gijoe1313
14th July 2009, 22:02
Well I just rode down to Wellywood on Sat night just gone(after midnight) and did the National Forest/Ohakune route, was pissing down but rain gear sorted that out! Great thing was no traffic! Usual gusts and some parts were raining so hard it was coming in horizontally! :lol:

Coming up on Sunday morning (I just rode down to pillion up a friend), I just took the same route back since I knew the Desert road would be ice/snow. Snow ploughs out in force on the trip back. The rain was pretty much gone except at Auckland :rolleyes:

I didn't find any sections of road bad, just the usual reflective patches which I avoid like the plague. The funny thing is I made better time riding down at night in the howling rain and wind! :lol:

Stromble
15th July 2009, 18:53
Was a guy recommended to me by Boyds, shipping bikes is all he does, no furniture or general freight, not sure of his trading name. Was way cheaper than all the known movers on the scene. Give him a call for a quote - Dennis
0800 200 900.

Weather not looking good for a run up the Island......no matter how good your gear is & rain suit is , it does eventually get in. Rode Napier to Hamilton about 3 weeks ago ( from an aborted trip when bike broke down ) & it rained the whole damn way. Hands & feet were the worst ......boots now had waterproofing stuff applied.

New bike here Monday :wari:

Good advice.. I booked Biketranz today, door to door for $300, so not bad at all, pickup Friday, and delivery next week..

Figured it wasnt worth it in the end.. Id love to do the long ride, but definitely in a better season!

What did you get to replace the VTR?

Tubbsy
15th July 2009, 18:58
I did the exact thing you were gonna do 5 months ago....bought it of 'tardme then flew down to get it, exactly at the same time we had the first freezing blast of the season.....it was awesome. Pissed down with rain on my in the mountain roads before Taupo....sh@t meself, but it rocked......I'd do it again in heartbeat.

Tubbsy
15th July 2009, 18:58
In fact.....my avatar was taken by the guy I bought from 5 minutes after he handed it over to me.

Radar
20th July 2009, 22:59
In fact.....my avatar was taken by the guy I bought from 5 minutes after he handed it over to me.

...annnnddd that wud b me :banana:

Hey Tubbsy, you on holiday now? Not like you to be unresponsive :dodge: to an email.

tsmj - long trips on a newly bought bike can be loads of fun. I only went from Napier to Masterton - on the Comet that Tubbsy now has. Like he says: "sh@t meself, but it rocked......I'd do it again in heartbeat."

Mystic13
21st July 2009, 17:39
Last weekend down to Wgtn was a good ride. A fair bit of rain. Came back through the Desert Road and there was no snow or ice on the road and small sprinkles of snow on the side of the road but not much. Rain on and off from Spooners Hill? North of Taihape through to the end of the Desert Road and pretty much nothing else.

In hindsight with the traffic North of Turangi I should have just stuck with Ohakune and the Big T as there was no decent view of the mountain. Temps didn't drop below 8 degrees from memory.