PDA

View Full Version : Ah the snow is expensive

sil3nt
15th July 2009, 20:12
Planning a week on Ruapehu at the end of August and it really isn't cheap!

5 day access to the ski lifts is just over $400 :shit:

5 day snowboard and boot hire is coming up to $200 half the cost of a new board so i am thinking of picking up a $400 board off trademe but will still need pants and boots :blink:

All this money could have been spent on my bike and apparently i will be doing this ever year <_<

Snowboarding better be easy (and fun) :shifty:

boman
15th July 2009, 20:15
If you are going to do this every year, try a season pass. My sister in law recons it is cheaper in the long run. (apparently pays for itself after a couple of weekends.)

sAsLEX
15th July 2009, 20:20
Season pass was 380? Already been up for 8 days this season.

sil3nt
15th July 2009, 20:29
It was originally going to be a weekend trip with just the girlfriend and myself but my mates where going around the same time for a week so we thought why not tag along.

Next year it will only be for a few days max. A season pass is $695 but what is the point if i am only going once a season?

I love the way a multi day pass only saves $6 at the most as well :dry:

sAsLEX
15th July 2009, 20:57
Depends when you buy!

16 Apr Ruapehu Alpine Lifts National Park Nzl $385.00

dogsnbikes
15th July 2009, 21:04
snowboarding is addictive the better you get the more it cost(sold my board n boots last week)....dont be afraid of the upper mountain its no steeper than the lower and there is alot more space for whipouts

Timber020
15th July 2009, 22:50
They didnt always check the top few lifts. We'd walk up loaded with gear and would dig a snowcave (the excavation snow made great hits) and stay in it for up to 5 nights (until food, fuel or muscles wore out). Up to 12 of us could stay in the cave but we made at least one big enough to sleep twice that (we got bored one night so kept digging, made it to big to keep warm!).
Late at night sometimes they ran the chairs. Wed go for a night snow missions and scare crap out of the groomer drivers by carving right infront of them. Problem was by going from darkness then into there spotlights then into the dark again, you lost all vision and balance and wrecked pretty soon after.
One week cost me 5 "acquired" ration packs, 1.5 litres of petrol (for cooker) probably 20$ in hot chocolates and coffees.

Good times

dave_a
16th July 2009, 01:48
I Have a season pass which I paid 380 for, it paid itself off in the first week I could use it :Punk:

already done 5 trips to the mountain this year,hoping to get 40+

Ragingrob
16th July 2009, 08:53
Board $200 cheapo, Boots $150, Bindings $299 down from $500, Life Pass $3,500... Divide all that by the 7 years I've been going, not to mention the rest of my life not having to pay for any pass, and it's all good!

Taz
16th July 2009, 09:29
Hard to believe it falls from the sky for nothing eh? Maybe they have to pay the Maori's for its use........

vifferman
16th July 2009, 09:37
:laugh:

I've been skiing off and on since about 1975. I could've told you (for free!) that it's akin to digging a big hole in the snow, and emptying your wallet into it!
Try deciding the whole family could join in on it! We've been skiiiing together as a family since the youngest was a toddler. Started with me having him in a backpack, and the next youngest ( ~ 4) on skis between my legs, and the wife looking after the oldest on his own.
Despite the HUGE pile of money buried in the snow somewhere, we've had lotsa fun though, and no mishaps apart from #2Son having his fibia broken at Porter Heights by a wayward snowboarder.

Taz
16th July 2009, 09:44
Did they charge you extra to ski with your child in the backpack?

HenryDorsetCase
16th July 2009, 09:44

it LOOKS easy. it IS fun.

dont forget if you buy a board you need bindings too. You also need a hat and goggles. I bought a helmet (after smacking my head really hard on some ice) and that made a huge difference to comfort as well as my perceived safety. Your head is always warm: its great. Decent jacket and pants (that comfort thing too. Wrist guards are a good investment for learners.

Swallow your pride and have some lessons. You will pick it up quicker and safer that way.

You should find it easy to pick up if you have ever surfed or skateboarded. It isnt the same but it is similar.

Dont also forget you need three times the money you are spending on everything else for grog, loose women and STD tests. Just saying.

Nasty
16th July 2009, 09:51

5 day snowboard and boot hire is coming up to $200 half the cost of a new board so i am thinking of picking up a $400 board off trademe but will still need pants and boots :blink:

All this money could have been spent on my bike and apparently i will be doing this ever year <_<

1-day.co.nz until 12 today has great snowboarding specials. Only boots now :(

sil3nt
8th August 2009, 22:01
Massive bump :)

Purchased a snowboard and bindings from http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/ for $339. Now i can purchase the same snowboard and bindings plus some boots for $359! The boots are advertised for $100 and im a cheap bastard so i emailed them asking if i can pay the difference for the boots. They have a 365 day right of return but returning items i am just going to pay for again is a little silly. Would be interesting to see their reply. Their factory/shop is only 10 minutes away but i hope i don't need to go door knocking! Only 2 weeks to go until my trip as well :rockon:

ynot slow
8th August 2009, 22:27
Went up for 2 days a few years ago,first day had a mate teach us to ski,was ok,went for tea and saw a learn to ski package in the local rag,cut it out and best money spent the next day,included a 1 hour lesson.We went Tue,Weds so only a few people about,except most were Japs with mega $$$ of clothes etc,most learners were like their driving after lessons end,hopeless

peasea
8th August 2009, 23:05

You could sit in your freezer for about 15c an hour.

PeteMun
8th August 2009, 23:14
My mate died in the avalanche last week :(

stay inside the boundary ay

sil3nt
8th August 2009, 23:17
You could sit in your freezer for about 15c an hour.:lol:

I stand in a freezer 9 hours a day and get paid $12.50 an hour! So essentially i am just doing my job while on holiday (as i don't actually do any work <_<)

steve_t
9th August 2009, 02:38
5 day access is a bit over $400??
The season pass bought during April was only $385!

vifferman
9th August 2009, 07:47
I dunno... I've done both, and reckon although it's fun doing 360's on a board, it's much more difficult, as having your legs tied together with a plank is kinda disabling. At least with skis you can move your legs independently.
There were things I liked about boarding, like the boots are easier to walk in (when you don't have a plank strapped to them.)
For people who've done skateboarding or surfing, snowboarding's the go.
I still prefer skis.

Did they charge you extra to ski with your child in the backpack?
Nope. Amazing, innit? Everything else seems to have a big $ sign attached to it.

sil3nt
31st August 2009, 18:08
Had an awesome week down there.

Monday - Half Day in the afternoon. Good weather was actually too hot! First run was shit and i wanted to give up. Second run onwards was awesome and fell in love with snowboarding!

Tuesday - Full day in happy valley.

Wednesday - Full day in happy valley i think i might have ventured to rock garden once or twice.

Thursday - Mountain closed
Friday - Mountain closed

Saturday - Full day almost entirely spent up in rockgarden. Had some seriously epic fast runs down without bailing!

Sunday - Half day spent in rockgarden. On the last run i had a nice face plant in front of everyone waiting at the bottom for me. Could not see more than 50 metres the entire time!

It rained pretty much everyday we where there although Saturday cleared up nicely with blue sky and good visibility.

Definitely going for a season pass when its cheap next year!