junkmanjoe
15th July 2009, 21:18
notice the massive spin on that back wheel,,,can only end in a mess..:shutup:

marks
15th July 2009, 21:20
pricks......

Woodman
15th July 2009, 21:20
And he is sorta looking towards the camera.

NordieBoy
15th July 2009, 21:37
The GS one was a "showoff for the camera" too.
But it ended in horsepiddle.

marks
15th July 2009, 21:48
The GS one was a "showoff for the camera" too.
But it ended in horsepiddle.

camera = loss of traction

just ask Bart

Monstaman
15th July 2009, 21:52
It has to be done.

Sutherlands track?

junkmanjoe
15th July 2009, 21:57
sorry try again...

Eddieb
15th July 2009, 21:58
Fishers Track, National Park again. It rocks.
Tying that together with the 42nd Traverse in a day makes for a damn happy Eddie.

That pic and the result also features on the bashplate hall of shame thread from about a month ago.

bart
15th July 2009, 22:03
camera = loss of traction

just ask Bart

Hey don't bring me into this. My spills are no where near as well documented as yours. :laugh:

junkmanjoe
15th July 2009, 22:05
bugger.. this looks like its going to hurt

Woodman
15th July 2009, 22:11
bugger.. this looks like its going to hurt

Gonna hurt his bank account mostly by the looks of it.:shit::shit:

Taz
15th July 2009, 22:18
Fishers Track, National Park again. It rocks.
Tying that together with the 42nd Traverse in a day makes for a damn happy Eddie.

Going to have to do this ride. Can you pm me some more info on how to find it? Start/finish/distance etc?

Andy.

Eddieb
15th July 2009, 22:22
If you have google earth installed go into the GPS tracklogs link in my signature. There's tracks for both of them in there and you can open them in google earth.

buggsubique
16th July 2009, 16:45
Gonna hurt his bank account mostly by the looks of it.:shit::shit:

oh hell yes...off to Boano for new bits! mmmmm Boano....:yes:

Waihou Thumper
16th July 2009, 17:14
Quite nicely....AND we were all there to witness it...

OH SHIT.....:yes:

junkmanjoe
16th July 2009, 17:22
arr yes, great shot. it was quite fun watching every one trying to get up the ramp..

Underground
16th July 2009, 17:23
You did get both wheels onto the ramp though:clap:

Eddieb
16th July 2009, 17:33
No wonder you guys hate me, all the NZ photo's posted so far I took.

Box'a'bits
16th July 2009, 17:34
You did get both wheels onto the ramp though:clap:

Actually the astounding thing was the three attempts NZKTM made on trying to get up the ramp :shit:. I likely would have quit at one (two tops) & gotten someone to help me drag the bike up. :bye:

Steve

junkmanjoe
16th July 2009, 17:39

na mate you just i the right place at the right time...
untill you get my nearly coming off, then it be different story....:scooter:

Underground
16th July 2009, 17:39
Actually the astounding thing was the three attempts NZKTM made on trying to get up the ramp :shit:. I likely would have quit at one (two tops) & gotten someone to help me drag the bike up. :bye:

Steve

yeah , I took a more cautious approach and just popped the front wheel up there then some kind people helped me with the rear.

Waihou Thumper
16th July 2009, 17:40

Steve

Is NZKTM stupid or just plain ambitious that he could get it up the ramp...:woohoo:
I tried and tried but the thing is the sand was soft, couldn't get the speed and when I did, the front dug into the foot of the ramp and catapulted me sideways....Oh well, that is the fun thing about adventure riding and the great thing that we might appreciate Steve is the KTM was fine througout the episode apart from the scars....
I have these fixed now and she is looking good....Ready for more...

Eddie, yes, thanks matey, you are as reliable as ever with the 35mm, maybe that is the issue, if it wasn't for the lens I would have quit at one attempt...:done:BUT, my album is sparce and in need of NZKTM action shots....

Box'a'bits
16th July 2009, 17:43
At least you tried. I could see that things might end badly, so stayed out of the tunnel & beach..

Waihou Thumper
16th July 2009, 17:49
At least you tried. I could see that things might end badly, so stayed out of the tunnel & beach..

I really really wanted to see the sea....BY bike...:woohoo:
Steve, do you have the sidestand for your bike? I bought one from Touratech, I can fit both on the KTM now, the only thing is, it needs about three people to pull the springs on the centrestand to get it back on the bike...:shit: So, for the emantime I have to resort back to the sidestand only option...
Andy is still keen on the bike, so it would be a family down your way of KTM if he buys....

marks
16th July 2009, 18:04

no no

we hate you because of your personality

the photos just confirm everything we already thought

Box'a'bits
16th July 2009, 18:05
Steve, do you have the sidestand for your bike? I bought one from Touratech, I can fit both on the KTM now, the only thing is, it needs about three people to pull the springs on the centrestand to get it back on the bike...:shit: So, for the meantime I have to resort back to the sidestand only option...Andy is still keen on the bike, so it would be a family down your way of KTM if he buys....

Doh, now you've let the cat out of the bag. I thought you'd decided to hang onto it. :shutup:

Yup, got the KTM sidestand - just don't often use it. It would be great to have both at the same time though. Have thought about it. I think some ppl using the stand separate the springs. I recall it runs springs inside of the springs. Some just run one.

The next big purchases are a rally bash plate from Aus (to get the toolboxes & some protection for the rather exposed fuel petcock), & some riding gear. Get those in Dec if the bonus comes through. :yes:

Bought some 2nd hand KTM/Touratech boxes & racks from Kerry Potts a few mths back. Paid $650, which was fairly reasonable I thought. I'll likely take these up for the MMMMM. :woohoo:

Steve

Waihou Thumper
16th July 2009, 18:13
Doh, now you've let the cat out of the bag. I thought you'd decided to hang onto it. :shutup:

Steve

Ummm, well, still debating and I might have it for the MMMM ride as it will be more comfortable than the Husaberg..
Oh, so you been shopping then for bits, good on ya..:cold:It might be bloody cold down there that weekend....
Is it a closely guarded secret? I didn't know...:innocent: Bugger...

Waihou Thumper
22nd July 2009, 21:57
A certain mishap with a Bovine, shit scared that 20 odd guys on bikes barrelling through a quiet country road...

If you look closely there is enough hair on the fairing for CSI to identify the ear tag number.....:clap:

Andy needs to elaborate for this little 'Oh shit...'
I just ook the photo at PioPio, no story reall other than we needed to shore up the damage....
I remember the beasts on the road, scared and running like Pamplona except they were the ones running this time...:(

We sort of missed the what happens next by the time I took this shot it was Lunch, so what happened next was a feed....he he

Oscar
23rd July 2009, 08:45
This beach has featured before...

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/105427524_B7Tsx-M.jpg

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/105427600_hr7n2-M.jpg

Garry.W
23rd July 2009, 08:52
:Oops:

Thanks for the reminder Stu

Oscar
23rd July 2009, 09:43
:Oops:

Thanks for the reminder Stu

I'd forgotten until I saw the previous pics of someone else doing the same thing.

Are going to the MMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Garry.W
23rd July 2009, 10:51
Are going to the MMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Most definitely, heading up tomorrow with JF et al :woohoo:

tri boy
23rd July 2009, 13:01
The world famous, (in NZ) adv/explorer prepares for the treacherous "Slippery Creek" crossing.........

tri boy
23rd July 2009, 13:04
After calling on the local villagers to assist, the famous (in NZ) adventurer eases his trusty mount into the river/creek/puddle, while sending the "stoudest" black fulla forward to scare off Piranha, and Crocodiles.......

tri boy
23rd July 2009, 13:07
Even though the famous, (in NZ) adventurer has a lifetime of riding behind him, it was deemed prudent to call for further assistance from other villages.........

tri boy
23rd July 2009, 13:09
With all the tension, and trepidation preceding the crossing, the famous, (in NZ) adventuter forgot to engage the KTM woose/balance button.........

tri boy
23rd July 2009, 13:16
Fortunately , the cat like reflexes of the famous (in NZ) adventurer managed to engage the stabilser button, and thrust his manliness across the final stage.:wari:
After dismounting, the famous (in NZ) adventurer swaggered back towards the raging torrent that near claimed him, and to assist the hapless rider who did indeed succumb to Slippery Creeks terrible vengeance against adventurers.
Also note that the "rotund" villager escaped from being eaten by Piranha or Crocodile:woohoo:
(Guess this tale makes me a marked man on future rides)

Padmei
23rd July 2009, 18:18
Gosh Tri boy that was a lucky escape - Crikey that water was nearly up to the brake rotors:gob:

23rd July 2009, 18:33
This beach has featured before...

So whats the story here? looks like a rather simple wooden ramp from my side of the screen:yes: there's gotta be something i can't see.........

surely:scratch:

Eddieb
23rd July 2009, 18:37
So whats the story here? looks like a rather simple wooden ramp from my side of the screen:yes: there's gotta be something i can't see.........

Yep, the sand has the consistency of flour and you actually sink probably 15 cm's into it, combined with the half foot vertical step at the bottom that can't been seen in these shots, smooth and slippery as snot wooden ramp and a slope thats a fair bit steeper than the photo's let on.

tri boy
23rd July 2009, 19:46
That bloody beach ramp had me sweating and cursing for 1/2hr.
(the lip can be quite a bitch if a storm surge has washed it clear).
I rode fatty down on a solo ride, and then took 4 attempts to get the fat pig back up.
Luckily I didn't fall off, or I would still be trapped there:sweatdrop

tri boy
23rd July 2009, 19:48
Gosh Tri boy that was a lucky escape - Crikey that water was nearly up to the brake rotors:gob:
Ask Clint about that greasy lil stream.:innocent:

Crisis management
23rd July 2009, 19:55
I am now pretending I didn't see this thread. :Oops:

dino3310
23rd July 2009, 21:28
Fortunately , the cat like reflexes of the famous (in NZ) adventurer (Guess this tale makes me a marked man on future rides)

:lol::lol::lol::girlfight::shutup:

BASS-TREBLE
23rd July 2009, 22:59
Quite nicely....AND we were all there to witness it...

OH SHIT.....:yes:

Where abouts is that, we went there last year and both of us can't remember the name of it, at the end of the tunnel right?

Waihou Thumper
24th July 2009, 05:55
Where abouts is that, we went there last year and both of us can't remember the name of it, at the end of the tunnel right?

Wiakaretu Beach I think it is called on the Awakino back road to Waitomo...Not far from the Awakino end

Mystic13
24th July 2009, 22:40
We had a good run through the 42nd.

Deciding to start it while we sat at the Owhango Pub at 4pm. With drizzle starting again and having done a day of back road riding.

The best time to do it. There is no one else for 46k's.

Our plan was simple really. We had time to do it before dark and there was no room for breakdowns, injuries or wrong turns. That or we were spending the night in the bush instead of at Willie's fine establishment with great food, plenty to drink and an open fire.

You known you're riding with good guys when they don't hesitate running into the stream.

Why you'd stop midstream at the deepest point is beyond me but it could be to clean the thing or to check up and down stream to see if there was a better route.

We did the 42nd from the Owhango end meaning we had to ride up the rock wall. Sadly we're missing a beaut off shots from that. The Dakar's chain popped off about 1/4 of the way up. So there he is going up, on an off camber drop with no drive. He made the perfect dismount as the bike went thud against the rock.

Of course what we really needed was this bike to start. You can probably guess the rest.

Mystic13
24th July 2009, 22:46
So the bike turns over and water shoots out the exhaust like someone had just turned on a fire hose. Not a good sign. There's plenty of turning and no life.

Mystic13
24th July 2009, 22:58
The turning keeps going. The odd half splutter and finally life if you can call it that. The thing sounded like it was running on a single cylinder for awhile before coughing up the last of it's water. The evaporation makes an interesting sight.

If you haven't parked up at Willie's Owhango Pub he has secure parking for motorbikes, damn good food, drinks and an open fire which had a pile of motorcycle gear around it.

The 42nd rounded off a damn good days riding. As it turned out the rain continued and we wouldn't have been able to get through easily the next day.

junkmanjoe
28th July 2009, 13:29
The turning keeps going. The odd half splutter and finally life if you can call it that. The thing sounded like it was running on a single cylinder for awhile before coughing up the last of it's water. The evaporation makes an interesting sight.

If you haven't parked up at Willie's Owhango Pub he has secure parking for motorbikes, damn good food, drinks and an open fire which had a pile of motorcycle gear around it.

The 42nd rounded off a damn good days riding. As it turned out the rain continued and we wouldn't have been able to get through easily the next day.

when did you guys go through there.

Mystic13
29th July 2009, 21:12
Beginning of October we wandered through. Personally I thought the decison at the end of a good days back country riding to do the 42nd was an interesting one. It just seemed like a good idea to everyone in the group. Although when we got back at dark we wondered why we were all okay with the idea of heading in.

It'd be great to be based at Willie's place for a few days and just do day rides in there. There are so many tracks you could probably run a 3-5 days in their easily. Then a short distance out to civilisation.

I got a picture of a Jimi Hendrix poster on a wall in an old abandoned building. I'm guessing that had been hanging there for some decades.

junkmanjoe
29th July 2009, 21:17
we went through on mxnuts king country ride.
was quite greasy in places, and yes a couple days just riding all the side tracks would be a good idea.

Mystic13
30th July 2009, 09:28
Greasy yep, came barreling along around a corner and winding it on and suddenly "Oh shit! wet solid clay for a fair distance".. I relaxed quickly and the bike danced around all over the place. I'd never had the bike dancing around so much before. Made it out the other side and kept on trucking. I luckily made it through the whole thing without a drop. Every other bike had an off. The moral is go through when it's dry. Some of those ruts were huge.

We also found a lack of track markers which meant sometimes you came to a fork and took a guess.

Must go back.

I think you really want to get through when the cars are banned from doing it, when it's dry, and as much daylight as possible. They also groom the track at some point each year. Going through after the groom would be good.

dino3310
30th July 2009, 23:12
we went through on mxnuts king country ride.
was quite greasy in places, and yes a couple days just riding all the side tracks would be a good idea.

So ya gonna organise a ride for next summer then matey:msn-wink:, you could base it all on the 42nd maybe a few of the guys with enduro's would trailer in for it. would be an awesome 2 day'er maybe 3.
you could call it JMJ's central safari:clap::dodge:

junkmanjoe
30th July 2009, 23:48
with you there mate, but i got a better idea up on undies....which will involve our mate the 42nd for next summer.....:drool:

dino3310
31st July 2009, 11:57
with you there mate, but i got a better idea up on undies....which will involve our mate the 42nd for next summer.....:drool:

i'm in:scooter:

crazyhorse
31st July 2009, 12:24
http://www.funny-potato.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/moto-stunt.jpg

junkmanjoe
31st July 2009, 16:19
whoa theres a very good chance this could end up in a heap...:crazy:

Waihou Thumper
31st July 2009, 17:43
Far North ride, On the way to Kai Iwi Lakes....
Might have misjudged where to ride a fraction....Guess where me mate went then? Did he get a mouthful of sand? Yeppa......:woohoo:

bart
31st July 2009, 18:01
Far North ride, On the way to Kai Iwi Lakes....
Might have misjudged where to ride a fraction....Guess where me mate went then? Did he get a mouthful of sand? Yeppa......:woohoo:

Shit.............you buried that. :eek5:

Waihou Thumper
31st July 2009, 18:12
Shit.............you buried that. :eek5:

We both went over the top on that beach....
I sort of thought it was a bit soft but really didn't appreciate how quick bikes can stop! :Oops: Who needs dual discs, a little bit ofsand could stop a tank! Oh, and it did.....in this case. ;)