PDA

View Full Version : River rocks and the taking of?

98tls
16th July 2009, 19:20
Is the taking of these things illegal?Had a conversation today with a somewhat irate bloke who seemed to think i should take em all out of the back of the ute as what i was doing was illegal:shit:is it?

klingon
16th July 2009, 19:37
Is the taking of these things illegal?Had a conversation today with a somewhat irate bloke who seemed to think i should take em all out of the back of the ute as what i was doing was illegal:shit:is it?

Yes. Yes it is illegal. You had a ute-full? I thought you were going to say you picked one up and put it in your pocket. How many were you taking?!

Nasty
16th July 2009, 19:39
Defiantely illegal ... you pretty mcuh need council consent to remove them from site.

wickle
16th July 2009, 19:43
resource consent!

Lorax
16th July 2009, 19:44
However, I've heard a rumour that the Hutt City Council(s?) actually want people to take rocks from the Hutt River. It's fillin up ya see's.

But only heard that.

98tls
16th July 2009, 19:47
Yes. Yes it is illegal. You had a ute-full? I thought you were going to say you picked one up and put it in your pocket. How many were you taking?! Errr not quite full:innocent:the utes been lowered so had to say "enoughs enough' when the rear mud flaps were just above ground level.Bit of a garden project:innocent:Got a bit interesting really,the bloke was a Maori fella and i just thought "fuck me here we go'.At one stage i said "look mate you got the foreshore i got the river,fuck off'.Seems he was right.

davereid
16th July 2009, 19:48
Go for your life mate, and ignore the irate tosser, or throw rocks at him.

Its possible that you have taken the rock from a river with didymo and will relocte it to one without - so don't do that. But walking in one river, then another will transfer didymo so don't assume its the rocks that are a risk.

The council may have sold the rights for the rocks to a commercial company, but the amount you can manually get out in your ute in an afternoon is only a single scoop of the diggers bucket.

The only other problem is the rocks may belong to iwi... so no issue there, as they have promised to share.

FlangMasterJ
16th July 2009, 19:49
Make sure you get some of the pretty green ones too.

klingon
16th July 2009, 19:50
LOL well the "somewhat irate bloke" was absolutely right! So did you put them back where you got them from or just graunch away over the riverbed with them?

98tls
16th July 2009, 19:52
However, I've heard a rumour that the Hutt City Council(s?) actually want people to take rocks from the Hutt River. It's fillin up ya see's.

But only heard that. In that case thats where i got mine:yes:

98tls
16th July 2009, 19:55
Go for your life mate, and ignore the irate tosser, or throw rocks at him.

Its possible that you have taken the rock from a river with didymo and will relocte it to one without - so don't do that. But walking in one river, then another will transfer didymo so don't assume its the rocks that are a risk.

The council may have sold the rights for the rocks to a commercial company, but the amount you can manually get out in your ute in an afternoon is only a single scoop of the diggers bucket.

The only other problem is the rocks may belong to iwi... so no issue there, as they have promised to share. Actually mate theres an outfit taking them out by the truck load about a mile up-stream so didnt really think it was a problem,from memory its about the 12th load ive done......big back yard project etc.

98tls
16th July 2009, 20:03
So did you put them back where you got them from or just graunch away over the riverbed with them? No i just carried on loading up until enough was enough,pretty remote spot but with easy access,seems a well weird thing for a bloke to get all fucked up over really,im not really a fan of all the "we owe Maori thing' so i guess in hindsight the fact that he was one didnt help things really.Guess i owe the bloke an apology for committing an illegal act,that aside it wont stop me going back for more.

scumdog
16th July 2009, 20:05
Actually mate theres an outfit taking them out by the truck load about a mile up-stream so didnt really think it was a problem,from memory its about the 12th load ive done......big back yard project etc.

Done sometink similar on a smaller scale of course from the local beach. I reckon that the gravel/rocks are only "borrowed" as they will be returned to the area (over time - well over a bloody long time!). So as caretakers of the land we are only redesigning and all will be returned. It's not like you are exporting them to another planet or galaxie!!
Woops, normajeane here!

98tls
16th July 2009, 20:08
Done sometink similar on a smaller scale of course from the local beach. I reckon that the gravel/rocks are only "borrowed" as they will be returned to the area (over time - well over a bloody long time!). So as caretakers of the land we are only redesigning and all will be returned. It's not like you are exporting them to another planet or galaxie!!
Woops, normajeane here! :shit:Dont tell Tom about this thread:innocent:Im just looking after the rocks........honest,they seemed sad.They were neglected rocks.

Pussy
16th July 2009, 20:13
You could have said you were collecting rocks for a dirty big hangi, Mike.... :whistle:

98tls
16th July 2009, 20:17
You could have said you were collecting rocks for a dirty big hangi, Mike.... :whistle: Na mate,then he would have wanted a nose rub and invite.

Mom
16th July 2009, 20:21
Actually mate theres an outfit taking them out by the truck load about a mile up-stream so didnt really think it was a problem,from memory its about the 12th load ive done......big back yard project etc.

They probably have consent.

Yes it is true, you can not gather up stones, rocks, sand, shells or anyother thing in quantity to improve your garden or what have you.

Some of them stones are really pretty though eh?

I have this awesome rock (about the size and shape of an Ostrich egg)from one of the glacial rivers in the South Island, it was a present, still has the white chalk of glacier milk on it. It was a gift, and only one taken that day.

Finn
16th July 2009, 20:34
As a white man of British descent whose ancesters once conquered this land, I say take what you like. They're rightfully yours.

Jantar
16th July 2009, 20:35
Wickle got it right. It isn't illegal to take the rocks, just that you must get a resource consent to do so. In order for thr consent to be declined someone must show a serious effect to the environment, and that isn't likely to occur from the braised rivers we have on the esat coast of the South island.

Oh! That resource consent will probably set you back around $2500 for a ute load of rock. :rockon:

98tls
16th July 2009, 20:38
Wickle got it right. It isn't illegal to take the rocks, just that you must get a resource consent to do so. In order for thr consent to be declined someone must show a serious effect to the environment, and that isn't likely to occur from the braised rivers we have on the esat coast of the South island.

Oh! That resource consent will probably set you back around $2500 for a ute load of rock. :rockon: Nothing like a good deal eh.:shit:

Finn
16th July 2009, 20:43
The irony about resource consent is that the paper involved would do more harm to the environment than the removal of a ute full of river rocks.

Virago
16th July 2009, 20:51
While the whole thing seems a bit silly, be careful it doesn't bite you. If the guy took your rego number and dobbed you in, your backyard project might come under scutiny...

pete376403
16th July 2009, 20:53
Once a year (possibly more often) one of the councils (upper Hutt, Lower Hutt or Wellington regional) very generously have an "open day" at the river and you can take what you like. The rest of the year it's like others have said, consents, etc. Stupid part is, they pay to have the river mouth dredged on a pretty much continuous basis, and there are 'dozers in the river most of the time pushing rocks out of the bed and up to the banks, to prevent flooding.

Ixion
16th July 2009, 20:55
Was you bigger than the other guy? If so abuse him for filling your river with bloody rocks and order him to clear them out right smartish.

JimO
16th July 2009, 20:59
its also illegal to remove beach sand fron the beach BUT you are allowed to take wind blown sand fron roads that are on the coastline

NDORFN
16th July 2009, 21:02
As far as I'm concerned, go for your life mate. Just be sensible about it ie. go deep, don't just skim off the top as it's the top layer that supports life. Dude, if some commercial operation can legally go digging up the shit by the mega-tonne and charge us for ALOT more than the operational costs plus a little profit, then you should be allowed to go help yourself to a few for the garden. It's a renewable resource afterall.

scumdog
16th July 2009, 21:28
, and that isn't likely to occur from the braised rivers we have on the esat coast of the South island. :rockon:

Braised? - I hope they weren't overdone....:shit:

and 'esat'? - what HAVE you been drinking??:blink:

98tls
16th July 2009, 21:37
Braised? - I hope they weren't overdone....:shit:

and 'esat'? - what HAVE you been drinking??:blink: Yea got me as well mate,been out back looking for any "braised" ones i might have taken by mistake:bash:Happy to say no not a one,all seem quite content.:love: