PDA

View Full Version : ZXR vs. CBR RR

Spaz
30th March 2005, 08:59
I need some opinions.
Which would you prefer? a 92 ZXR250C or 92 CBR250RR?
Are there any troubles that ZXR's have? Is the engine in the CBR really all it's made out to be? The seating position on the ZXR fits me better. Is that the only profound difference between the bikes?
I have found 2 great examples of each model and I'm keen on getting one after having owned a GN250 and ZZR250.
Cheers,

aff-man
30th March 2005, 09:30
Right my zxr250 was a mighty beast but in saying so they need thier cam chains done every 50000km (which aint to bad) and my bike has done well over 100000km (ask minime) and still going strong. Cbr engines of that era are presumed to be indestructable but still if you ride it on the redline for 20000km and don't put any oil in etc etc then you will snuff it. As for handelling and power they are much of a muchness it starts coiming down to tyres and suspension set up. The cbr IS smaller than the zxr and i think a bit lighter. I also think the cbr has a slightly higher top speed. But of either of them i am going to have to recommend the zxr (cause i had one) but in saying so get the one you are most comfortable on. They will both put some of the bigger bikes to shame.

Also i went from a vt250f to the zxr and man it might feel a bit wierd at first but the increase in power and the way it handels was amazing. The only thing is that both those bikes will want to be ridden hard. They love the revs especially the high ones and will moan and bitch if you ride em to low. Have fun making a choice :niceone: :ride: :ride:

Skunk
30th March 2005, 20:05
I'd agree with aff-man; get the one that fits you. They are both really good bikes.

SPORK
30th March 2005, 20:28
Ah, I was about to post this same thing! Good to know I'm not the only one thinking about it.

How does fuel efficiency go? Any distinct winner? And I think that the ZXR has a bigger tank.

Dafe
30th March 2005, 20:39
Hey Dude, Just curious, Is there any reason why your third bike remains to be a 250CC, If you're looking for a bike of that price range you can probably afford a 400 also. I would suggest a Honda VFR400 NC30. They're a fantastic 400. There are a few NC30 fanatics on here! One of them has swore to eventually own every NC30 in NZ.......What a dedicated Nutter!

FROSTY
30th March 2005, 20:43
I've owned both as project bikes and they both impressed the heck outa me.
I would lean towards the kwakka for several reasons. 1 parts avalibility here in auckland is better for the kwakka-Mt eden Motorcycles. 2 better suspension/brake set up. 3 it fits ya better. 4-I wont mistake ya for the 4 other guys on the newbee rides 5 Dunno why but to me they felt gruntier

Coyote
30th March 2005, 20:44
CBR is a fair bit lighter, its roughly 150kg to the ZXRs 170kg*. The CBR is faster because of this, but I wouldn't get worked up about speed unless your planning to race it like me. ZXR has more torque to make up for its weight, so as far as I know, they're about equal in performance. Otherwise it's a matter of what you would prefur, or the best deal you come across. I would've gone for a ZXR, but I managed to find my CBR in great condition with only 18,000ks on the clock, so I went for that.

I've been riding the CBR for 4 months, I have great fun on it, managed to get a speeding ticket on it too. Gets to 100 in around 5s, I've been 165kph out on manfeild track, only cause I had taken the fairings off for the Track day, making it fly through the air like a brick wall, so I would've easily got to 180+ if I had left them on. On the CBR, it starts to pull around 14,000rpm, but a rarely go over 8000 cause I normally ride around town. I can do some stoppies on it, but I'm not going to attempt wheelies in the near future, as I want the bike pretty much in-tact

*I have been corrected. The ZXR250A is the one which weighs around 170kg, the ZXR250C is the one that weighs the same as the CBR. Now, who owns a ZXR250C and will be willing to race me at the next track day, to see whats fastest? We'll switch bikes to make the test even

Coyote
30th March 2005, 21:10
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/image.php?u=1418&type=profile&dateline=1105248647

Might I add, the CBR looks awesome with the left and right fairings off :niceone:

Allthough, I don't like the windsheild, must make my own front fairing this holliday

NC
30th March 2005, 21:14
Hey Dude, Just curious, Is there any reason why your third bike remains to be a 250CC, If you're looking for a bike of that price range you can probably afford a 400 also. I would suggest a Honda VFR400 NC30. They're a fantastic 400. There are a few NC30 fanatics on here! One of them has swore to eventually own every NC30 in NZ.......What a dedicated Nutter!
YAY!!! Good choice heheheehe

SPORK
30th March 2005, 21:18
Useless piece of information #20472

That's my driveway!

Coyote
30th March 2005, 21:21
Useless piece of information #20472

That's my driveway!
Useless piece of information #20473

He means my pic has his driveway. NC30_Chick isn't his driveway

N4CR
30th March 2005, 21:44
Starting off as a complete noob, I felt the cbr rr had a much more 'noob freindly' handling...felt easier to push. I also tested the zxr250c - it needed more respect but seemed like it had a bigger learning curve... I ended up getting the zxr250c ;)

I overheard someone say 'hondas are made for anyone to jump onto' but please no flames people :P

Make sure you test them heaps... get the bike that suits you best - good luck.

John
30th March 2005, 21:55
All I can say is I've had mine off the speedo on the open road and the speedo goes to 190, and is only 4% out.

Nuff said. TristanK knows nothing - he also loves men.. Yes its true.

But seriously - I like Kawa Gearboxes and lotsa parts around as being said by frosty, great servicers - and I feel asthough its a great 250 upgrade bike.

The CBRR's and ZXR's can make a mess of big bikes, I know that for sure when I met a guy I a duke and I was on his tail all the way to the fuel station, he was shocked to hear it was a 2nifty :P

So either way your a winner, get good rubber, and tweak the suspension (the ZXR-C has sooooo manny suspension tweaks its amazing, dont know if the CBR has as many) but just test and ride :P

N4CR
30th March 2005, 21:57
Yes! Infact, I would love to come out of the closet... john is my manlover.

John
30th March 2005, 22:00
Yes! Infact, I would love to come out of the closet... john is my manlover.
SATAN WIL KILL YOU DEAD WHAN YOU GO DEAD AND GOED TO HEL!!!!!!

- Love
John Tamaheri
Destiny Church (cult/communists)

N4CR
30th March 2005, 22:02
lmao!

THE ONLY TREU SATANISD IS NOT NICE! BE NOT NICE TOO ARE LIKE SATAN!

SPORK
30th March 2005, 22:13
lmao!

THE ONLY TREU SATANISD IS NOT NICE! BE NOT NICE TOO ARE LIKE SATAN!
Can I suggest a site you might like:

www.somethingawful.com/jeffk

Don't all thank me at once

John
30th March 2005, 22:24
You have made a new friend, now watch out because he is gonna PM whore you for your address to make man love to you!

N4CR
30th March 2005, 22:30
Nah its actually off

http://www.neovoid.org/deathkristjan/

A 'treu blakc metal' band in Dagestan USSR.. the most not nice former communist state....

Thanks for the link, looks like a good read :shifty: .

and we spiral further and further off topic :msn-wink:

SPORK
30th March 2005, 22:50
Nah its actually off

http://www.neovoid.org/deathkristjan/

A 'treu blakc metal' band in Dagestan USSR.. the most not nice former communist state....

Thanks for the link, looks like a good read :shifty: .

and we spiral further and further off topic :msn-wink:
We sure do. I feel kinda guilty for murdering this innocent thread. How about we make a nice thread for bablings and awesome links. But not so bad that it gets put in Mindless Drivel.

RPM91
31st March 2005, 12:44
I own a ZXR 250 and i personally think its better than the cbr 250rr because of its looks, its suspention and size. When i had it parked up next to a zx6r they almost were the same size, shame the other day i was heading home and it was raining and my wheel ended up on a tram track going round city square and tried 2 get out and the bike started snakying and couldnt regain control and went tank first into a car. my arm got abit crushed but thank god not broken and the damage on my bike was just the tank and top fairing, going to cost me $1000 in parts excluding paint :whocares: . hopefulyy it will be ready in a few weeks i miss it already :confused:

Coyote
31st March 2005, 16:40
I'm gonna see about getting some fibreglass supplies and make my own streetfighter fairing. I think the CBRs windscreen is too big and crappy lookin

Eddy
1st April 2005, 10:13
Now, who owns a ZXR250C and will be willing to race me at the next track day, to see whats fastest? We'll switch bikes to make the test even

Just give me a couple months to get my '92 running right (its sitting on the lift at polytec in pieces at the moment) then i will be keen for a race at a track day. It would be very interesting to see which is the better bike, if any. Its probably just more of a personal preference.

Coyote
1st April 2005, 18:43
Just give me a couple months to get my '92 running right (its sitting on the lift at polytec in pieces at the moment) then i will be keen for a race at a track day. It would be very interesting to see which is the better bike, if any. Its probably just more of a personal preference.
Sweeeeeet :devil2:

Two Smoker
3rd April 2005, 14:51
Now, who owns a ZXR250C and will be willing to race me at the next track day, to see whats fastest? We'll switch bikes to make the test even
Ill see if i can get a rear tyre intime for my RG150....

250learna
6th April 2005, 01:23
I just got a zxr250a and i love it! Its a great bike but i have never been on a cbr, i could never find one for $ i was willing to dish out so i have never tryed it out. But i got say both zxr and cbr look HOT :love:
been told to make sure the back break disc is not raped coz its hard to find second hand parts you mite have to buy a new after market part...like me :angry2:

John
6th April 2005, 11:07
I just got a zxr250a and i love it! Its a great bike but i have never been on a cbr, i could never find one for $ i was willing to dish out so i have never tryed it out. But i got say both zxr and cbr look HOT :love:
been told to make sure the back break disc is not raped coz its hard to find second hand parts you mite have to buy a new after market part...like me :angry2:

Yes, there are 2 disk makers in NZ, and are relativly cheap, I need two new front ones and was quoted $600 for the petal type disks, the rears are about $180 they are decent graded steel to and have heard that they are a real good improvement.

Coyote
6th April 2005, 18:53
Yes, there are 2 disk makers in NZ, and are relativly cheap, I need two new front ones and was quoted $600 for the petal type disks, the rears are about $180 they are decent graded steel to and have heard that they are a real good improvement.
Petal disks sound good :yeah: $600 is a bit much though

Coyote
6th April 2005, 18:55
Ill see if i can get a rear tyre intime for my RG150....
I doubt I'll be able to even keep up :p

250learna
13th April 2005, 00:58
zxris better :banana: ! because of the pipes into tank are in your face :Punk:
but then again cbr is so sleek :love: