PDA

View Full Version : AV experts - HELP!

Mully
19th July 2009, 16:32
Afternoon,

Just bought (I know, how quaint) a new DVD from the DVD store at Westgate and came home to play it.

Here's my issue. We get sound through the DVD player and the DVD player "wallpaper" on the TV screen, but when the DVD starts reading, we get no picture (i.e. we get the DVD menu sound, but a black screen).

Checked all the cables from the player to the TV, and they're OK (which I would expect given that we get the DVD player wallpaper).

The disc plays fine in the laptop. And other DVDs play fine in the DVD player.

It's a zone 4 DVD - and even though the player is meant to sense it, we have manually told it to recognise that it's an NTSC disc

Any ideas??

EDIT: it will play fine through the DVD recorder we have wired in, but the DVD recorder has no surround sound capability, which sucks.

pete376403
19th July 2009, 18:55
ntsc? that is usa & japan. nz is pal

YellowDog
19th July 2009, 19:08
Yes it will play on the computer and any Multi-region DVD player.

It's the DVD and not the player.

You could always ply it on the other DVD palayer (it works on) and the output the sound (audio out) throught he surround sound amp (audio in).

Mully
19th July 2009, 19:08

Indeed. But my DVD player has an automatic setting to detect which type of disc it is. Even when forcing it to select NTSC, it doesn't work.

Mully
19th July 2009, 19:10
You could always ply it on the other DVD palayer (it works on) and the output the sound (audio out) throught he surround sound amp (audio in).

That's actually what we ended up doing. Less than ideal, but it worked in the meantime.

YellowDog
19th July 2009, 20:20
I realise that there is no logical reson as to why it should not work however sometimes the 'Zone Police' will do everything they possibly can to stop you enjoying yourself at reasonable price.

I have found that it is only the cheap and nasty maulti-region devices that actually do play everything. I know that doesn't help as the sound is as important as the picture.

I won't buy anything by Sony, as they are so 'true blue' that you end up having to buy mutiple devices.

Mully
19th July 2009, 21:02
I won't buy anything by Sony, as they are so 'true blue' that you end up having to buy mutiple devices.

Interesting, cos the main player is Sony.

Never had any dramas playing any discs before - burnt DVDs included.

And if it was a zone issue (which did occur to me as possible), would we have sound??

pete376403
19th July 2009, 21:38
If it IS a zone issue, that should be easy to prove - just drop in a genuine (ie manufacturer produced as opposed to home burnt) zone 4 and see if it plays

Mully
19th July 2009, 23:16
If it IS a zone issue, that should be easy to prove - just drop in a genuine (ie manufacturer produced as opposed to home burnt) zone 4 and see if it plays

This one is a zone 4. Everything else I have which is zone 4 plays fine.

Curiouser and curiouser.

RantyDave
20th July 2009, 09:09
But my DVD player has an automatic setting to detect which type of disc it is.
But does the TV? If the TV is expecting a PAL signal and gets and NTSC one then it *may* display nothing. TV's that can take either are actually kinda recent.

If they've sold you an NTSC disk in New Zealand then you should take it back.

Dave

Mully
20th July 2009, 09:28
But does the TV? If the TV is expecting a PAL signal and gets and NTSC one then it *may* display nothing. TV's that can take either are actually kinda recent.

If they've sold you an NTSC disk in New Zealand then you should take it back.

Dave

Hmm, I think it does - cos other NTSC discs I have play fine. I might have a play with the settings tonight just to check.

Is PAL/NTSC picture only? Cos that may explain why I get only sound and no picture.

Thanks.