PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a hops plant

SMOKEU
19th July 2009, 19:09
if anyone has a cutting (preferably in Christchurch) that I could have I will exchange it for beer, or if anyone knows where I could buy a plant I will really appreciate it.

Skyryder
19th July 2009, 19:31
if anyone has a cutting (preferably in Christchurch) that I could have I will exchange it for beer, or if anyone knows where I could buy a plant I will really appreciate it.

Very hard to find if not impossible. Most of the cultivars are trade supplied only.

Skyryder

Hitcher
19th July 2009, 19:33
You're looking for a hop plant, singular. Humulus, (Hop) is a small genus of flowering plants native to temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere. The female flowers (often called "cones") of H. lupulus are known as hops, and are used as a culinary flavoring and stabiliser, especially in the brewing of beer. The hop is part of the family Cannabaceae, which also includes the genus Cannabis (hemp).

Buy them here http://www.nzhops.co.nz/research.html. I'm a fan of the Riwaka Hop, which stars in Mac's Brewjolais.

AllanB
19th July 2009, 19:35
Brewjolais.

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure you can get them down Manchester Street for about $20 ...........

Skyryder
19th July 2009, 19:37
You're looking for a hop plant, singular. Humulus, (Hop) is a small genus of flowering plants native to temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere. The female flowers (often called "cones") of H. lupulus are known as hops, and are used as a culinary flavoring and stabiliser, especially in the brewing of beer. The hop is part of the family Cannabaceae, which also includes the genus Cannabis (hemp).

Buy them here http://www.nzhops.co.nz/research.html. I'm a fan of the Riwaka Hop, which stars in Mac's Brewjolais.

Well Hitch I learned something tonight. That you can actually 'buy' the plants.

Skyryder

gatch
19th July 2009, 20:45

What you gonna use that for then aye :shifty:

AD345
19th July 2009, 20:50
A hops plant y'say?

I have a one-legged potato plant if thats any help

SixPackBack
19th July 2009, 20:53

In theory it is possible to graft a hops plant to a cannibis stock...gives THC loaded hops!

riffer
19th July 2009, 21:22
In theory it is possible to graft a hemp plant to a cannibis stock...gives THC loaded hops!

Is that what you really meant to say?

gatch
19th July 2009, 21:27
In theory it is possible to graft a hemp plant to a cannibis stock...gives THC loaded hops!

Lol thank you ! captain obvious.

SixPackBack
19th July 2009, 21:57
Is that what you really meant to say?

My bad. Adjusted now:cool:

Lol thank you ! captain obvious.

If you have to smoke that shit:nono:.....Yup it works, but not really worth the effort IMHO.

SMOKEU
19th July 2009, 22:11

I'm hardout into the homebrew beer, and growing my own hops would make a welcome addition to my brews. And THC loaded hops sound tempting, I wouldn't mind brewing a chronic beer. :drinkup::drinknsin:Police::doobey::spanking: :finger:

Naki Rat
20th July 2009, 11:29
Having spent time harvesting hops near Nelson a couple of years back I was intrigued to find a huge variation in the fragrance, flavour and pungency of the different hop cultivars. My suggestion would be to sample the different varieties by way of one of NZ Hops hop products before committing to plants.

Incidentally NZ Hops is owned by a group of growers and I suspect they would be resistant to selling growable plant material. There are 17 or so growers of hops in NZ who are all in the greater Nelson area and they have the market pretty much sown up :nono:

The association of hops and its close cousin became obvious as the effects of the hops 'essence' started affecting the emotional equilibrium of those harvesting them as the four week season went on :argue::weird::rofl::wari::sleep:
Dried hops have also been long used in pillows as a sleep aid.

SMOKEU
20th July 2009, 12:19
If anyone knows where a commercial hops grower is then maybe I should help myself to a few cuttings. It's not like anyone is going to notice.

Skyryder
20th July 2009, 12:54
I'm hardout into the homebrew beer, and growing my own hops would make a welcome addition to my brews. And THC loaded hops sound tempting, I wouldn't mind brewing a chronic beer. :drinkup::drinknsin:Police::doobey::spanking: :finger:

Ya gota use the Cannabise root stock. I knew a guy who was right into this but he could not get the hop plants to try out.

As far as I'm aware the law is a bit murky in this area.
Grafted plants are named after the scion not the root stock. As Hitch right posted both the Hop plant and the Cannabise are from the same family so they graft easily.

You would in effect be growing a hop plant, infruse3d for want of a better word with THC. I don't know much about brewing but I would be surprised if the THC is destroyed in fermentation process.

As for the effects of such a brew...................I'll leave that to the brewers.

Skyryder

Skyryder
20th July 2009, 12:58
Incidentally NZ Hops is owned by a group of growers and I suspect they would be resistant to selling growable plant material. There are 17 or so growers of hops in NZ who are all in the greater Nelson area and they have the market pretty much sown up :nono:

Yep that's my take on it too. Some years back I knew a guy who put a lot of time trying to get hop plants.

Skyryder

Naki Rat
20th July 2009, 13:18
You would in effect be growing a hop plant, infrused for want of a better word with THC. I don't know much about brewing but I would be surprised if the THC is destroyed in fermentation process.

As for the effects of such a brew...................I'll leave that to the brewers.

Skyryder

I've heard that one of the advantages of 'real' ales is that the narcotic effect of the hops is present giving such beers an enhanced pleasurability over conventional (and usually pasteurised) beers :drinkup::doobey:

gatch
20th July 2009, 17:12
I'm not a big fan of beers in general, but if successful that would be a pretty interesting drop..

Good luck with it...