PDA

View Full Version : The GSF600S Bandit or the GSX750 Katana?

Oakie
21st July 2009, 09:30
I have until tomorrow night to decide.

Mrs Oakie's bike is sold and I've narrowed down the choice of a replacement bike for the two of us to a 600cc Bandit or a 750cc Katana.

I've looked at endless stats on them and read reviews and while I've always fancied the Bandit, there is a ridiculously cheap 08 Katana floating around that I have my eye on for only a few hundred more than the Bandits.

So ... ignoring the difference in age, can anyone offer any insight to the relative merits of a 2001/2003 600 Bandit (partly faired) and a late model 750 Katana (fully faired). I need to say that I do prefer the more upright style of the Bandit over the slight lean required by the Katana just for comfort of back and wrists)

It will be used for the daily 36km round trip work commute (a goodly part of it on a 70kph road), short day trips in the weekend and once or twice a year for a serious tour.

Cost of ownership is important to me ('coz I'm a tight-arse) so any stories about that would be good as would a reliable figure on fuel consumption of either bike as I've found wildly differing fugures for each on the 'net.

tri boy
21st July 2009, 10:16
Kanny likes her 98 Bandit S.
Front end springs are way soft. (.4something I think).
I put .7kg springs in, and fiddled with the oil, and preload. Big difference.
Also got RT to knock up a shock for it. Probably the best handling 98 Bandit on the road now.:clap:
Super reliable, and the power isn't scary for her, but if you get it up past 7500rpm, the ol girl picks up her skirt and boogies down the road. (The bike that is, not Kanny)
Easy on tyre/chain wear, and overall build quality on the old girl is great. (The bike, and kanny)

MaxCannon
21st July 2009, 10:23
I've had my 99 Bandit for almost a year and just over 10,000KM so far.
It's the very last of the Mk1s but I understand most of the greasy bits are almost the same up to the change from 600cc to 650cc
It's done everything - daily commuter, trackdays, weekend scratching, long distance trips.
Fuel economy is between 6L/100k (on long law abiding trips) to 10K/L (trackdays).
Averages 7 or just over most weeks.
Only replacement parts have been a new indicator (water got in and the insides rusted) and a new fuel tap.

For an easy to ride - do anything bike at a bargain price it's hard to beat.
Mine has stiffer fork springs and braided lines.

For 2 up you might need more grunt.

ynot slow
21st July 2009, 10:42
I was going the new 750 way solely on value,and then took the 1250 and thought 2 up it was better option,in my mind.Anyone with the 750 swears by them,and they're old school technology,but if it aint broke why fix it.Either way newer or slightly older you make the tough decision,not fun lol.

Dschubba
21st July 2009, 11:00
If in doubt, get the bigger one.

Spuds1234
21st July 2009, 12:11
Get the Bandit, those teapots are ugly as Helen Clark.