PDA

View Full Version : Any new ideas how to stop bike thefts?

Conquiztador
21st July 2009, 23:21
Yep, I know this has been done before. Many a time. I even think I have done it on here. But many new members have joined, there is advancement in technology etc.

I have been thinking: (A good sign I know...) Most people have computers/laptops these days. Also mobile phones. Add to that GPS. I know that there is available a GPS tracker you can fit to your bike so if someone steals it you will know where it is.

Here one: http://www.caralarm.co.nz/go2/Dyatron_gpstracking/ But at $1299 installed it is more for the new bikes or $10K+ ones.

Silent alarm that notifies you on your mobile might be the option? http://www.caralarm.co.nz/go2/Mongoose_alarms_MCR500/ At $499 not a bad option and has other bits added.

So perhaps a sturdy chain and a heavy duty lock and a silent alarm added, so that you have time to get your shotgun and pull up your pants and then go hunting...

Any other worthy options you know about?

gatch
21st July 2009, 23:32
Aside from bolting the thing down, I'm a fan of sticking in a subtle kill switch, inline with the starter button, part of your ignition, wherever you want. So your bike won't run till the switch is closed..

98tls
21st July 2009, 23:33
Good dog and decent neighbours is all i can say,i really feel for blokes that for whatever reason do/have to leave there bikes unattended in citys,jesus i would spend all day worrying about the thing.Mine are all either with me or in the shed at home,when home the dog seems to know if even a hedgehog is on his turf:argue: and if at work my neighbours are good at noticing and taking rego number of vehicles anywhere near my house.

Motu
22nd July 2009, 00:01
A bit more responsibility and appreciation of material goods would go a long way.This recession might help - I think a lot of people these days have toys coming out their ears,they haven't earned them....there was money flowing everywhere and they spent it....and so they don't really care.And anyway,they are insured.

Keep your bike hidden from prying eyes,watch your mirror before you turn into your road.Don't let your bike be seen by passer bys,don't run it excessively at home.Get out of you neighborhood quickly,don't go down to the dairy on it for an icecream.Chain your bike,preferably to an anchor or post,bike cover,alarm the shed....be on good terms with your neighbours.

And don't trust your dog - if he's dumb enough to be bought by you,his loyalty can be bought by others.

Know thy enemy.

James Deuce
22nd July 2009, 00:04
Teach yer kids to respect other people's stuff. 20 years time - no problem.

It'll never happen though. It's always someone else's fault.

98tls
22nd July 2009, 00:08

It'll never happen though. It's always someone else's fault. Sadly to attempt such a thing in this country means you chance a spell in jail.

Squiggles
22nd July 2009, 00:50
These look alright at the moment for tracking... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=101268

I still go with a decent chain to something fixed if possible

mstriumph
22nd July 2009, 02:34
...............i really feel for blokes that for whatever reason do/have to leave there bikes unattended in citys.............

what's WRONG with NZ? [ok - and Awstralia...]
in Paris most bikes are parked all over the city's pavements and they just DON'T seem to get pinched ... [OR ticketed - but that's another arguement :(]

Gremlin
22nd July 2009, 03:01
First.... make it harder to steal than the one next to it (if in public).

Units that shut the bike down, hidden kill switches etc are all good for trying to stop it being started, but the reality of most thefts at the moment are picking the bike up, into a van and gone, out of sight.

So it needs to be locked to something that can't be moved etc so it can't go anywhere in the first place.

Taz
22nd July 2009, 06:01
Do what I do and buy bikes no one wants to steal.

YellowDog
22nd July 2009, 06:14
I bought a paging alarm from Hong Kong for NZ$100.

Now if someone is stealing my bike, not only do I lose my bike, I can also get beaten up whilst trying to stop them.

IMO - The best option has to be anchoring your bike to the ground with serious heavy duty gear. I realise that this doesn't help when you are out and about.

The other option with alarms, which may act as a better deterent is the perimiter intrusion detector. This means that the bike alarm will go off before someone actually moves it or tries to tamper with it.

Conquiztador
22nd July 2009, 07:18
The other option with alarms, which may act as a better deterent is the perimiter intrusion detector. This means that the bike alarm will go off before someone actually moves it or tries to tamper with it.

What type would that be? I know re infra red ones and beam ones, but I am not sure any of them would be able to be fitted on the bike and used when parked in public? Yes, you can have it set up in the garage, but I would think thats about it?

NDORFN
22nd July 2009, 08:35
Get a Hyosung.

Conquiztador
22nd July 2009, 08:38
Get a Hyosung.

So you want to have it stolen you mean?

Mystic13
22nd July 2009, 08:39
www.theblackhawk.co.nz

http://bhsecurity.bhtrack.net/personal/default.asp

A few decoys placed around town and you should have no problems tracking these guys. I wonder if the police would be interested if we offered some decoy bikes?

On the one hand I'd hate to have my bike stolen and on the other it's insured. So I'd probably be better off if it was. Having said that I make it as hard as possible for the bike to be taken.

I have thought about the likes of blackhawk and there are systems on TM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Alarms-security/Mongoose/auction-231505268.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Alarms-security/Mongoose/auction-230653496.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Alarms-security/Other/auction-230653385.htm

The other added benefit of this system is if you ever forget where you parked the bike now you can find it.

NDORFN
22nd July 2009, 08:45
So you want to have it stolen you mean?

Why would anyone want to steal a Hyosung?

CookMySock
22nd July 2009, 08:52
Teach yer kids to respect other people's stuff. 20 years time - no problem.Not sustainable long-term. The more "respectful" you are to other people, the more you get taken advantage of.

A "healthy" balance is in order, like always show respect, but whack any cnut who tries to steal shit. :nono:

Steve

MsKABC
22nd July 2009, 09:23
Install one of these:

Mschvs
22nd July 2009, 09:29
I'm sure I've said it before on another post, but surely we could invent a way to electrify a bike when it's not in use, so if anyone touches it ... BAM ... they go flying! hehe (yes I understand due to the electronics on a bike, this is more then likely impossible, but it would be great if it could be done!!)

The Pastor
22nd July 2009, 10:39
Gps tracker and a shotgun.

YellowDog
23rd July 2009, 13:16
What type would that be? I know re infra red ones and beam ones, but I am not sure any of them would be able to be fitted on the bike and used when parked in public? Yes, you can have it set up in the garage, but I would think thats about it?
This is the Talon one I was referring too:

http://www.talonalarms.com/build/index.php

I like Talon because they don't need installing, they just plug into the bike's ECU port. I am just waiting for tjhem to bring out the paging version with all the other bits. Apparently it will be with us by the end of the year. I just hope the thiefs can wait.

Blackshear
23rd July 2009, 13:22
If you're going to a shop, push it alongside you as you browse the loot in stores, and at home, wheel it into your bedroom and put a silk cover over it.

beyond
23rd July 2009, 21:43
Any new ideas how to stop bike thefts?

Bolt it to the floor of a double walled, extra thick steel, electrified garage, dyna bolted into hardened concrete with hardened bull chains, chain two rabid starved dobermans near it and sleep above it in the rafters with a sawn off, fully loaded pump action Mossberg shotgun.

That just might do it :)

Just for good measure.... have the mother in law stationed at the door.

Hawkeye
23rd July 2009, 22:07

It'll never happen though. It's always someone else's fault.

Still on form I see Jim :laugh:

p.dath
23rd July 2009, 22:23
What about simply electrifying the grips with an electric fence unit until the key is in the ignition?

Would sure be funny to watch.

Squiggles
23rd July 2009, 22:52
What about simply electrifying the grips with an electric fence unit until the key is in the ignition?

Would sure be funny to watch.

I reckon the power cord to the mains'd be a giveaway...

SMOKEU
24th July 2009, 00:14
A couple of niggas with shotguns should do the trick.

SARGE
24th July 2009, 00:18
i think if a couple bike thieving assholes get killed and eaten by a pack of bikers it would slow down considerably

MaxB
24th July 2009, 01:03
Tonight on my way home from work I drove through the part of Manurewa where the guy stabbed the tagger.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case there is not much tagging to be seen there these days.

Not saying bike thieves should be killed but there has to be a punishment severe enough to stop most people doing it. Kids are walking away from the courts laughing at the system. Today's shoplifter turns into tomorrow's bike stealers or worse.

kjames
24th July 2009, 05:12
there was a campaign in london for a while called lock to me.. or something similar.
The basic idea was for bikes parked in city center bays to daisy chain there chains together. So when you arrived you looped your chain through a neighbouring bikes chain.

If the other bike returned first, he simply unlocked his chain and unthreaded it from yours... (hope this makes sense).

the aim was to stop guys pulling up in vans and lifting bikes into the back. If everyone did it, maybe the entire bike bay would be daisy chained and it would be impossible to lift a single bike...

great idea i think.

K

GOONR
24th July 2009, 09:10
there was a campaign in london for a while called lock to me.. or something similar.
The basic idea was for bikes parked in city center bays to daisy chain there chains together. So when you arrived you looped your chain through a neighbouring bikes chain.

If the other bike returned first, he simply unlocked his chain and unthreaded it from yours... (hope this makes sense).

the aim was to stop guys pulling up in vans and lifting bikes into the back. If everyone did it, maybe the entire bike bay would be daisy chained and it would be impossible to lift a single bike...

great idea i think.

K

Yeah it was quite common to come back to your bike and find it attached to a couple of others. No one minded cause it helped their bike stay put as well as yours.

lankyman
24th July 2009, 10:34
How about rigging up a sawn-off shotty with the muzzle pointing out of your tacho and the trigger wired up to you're handlbars. Two birds with one stone: It effectivley stops your bike from been stolen, and it also helps along the process of Darwinism. Also means one less fuckwit we have to fund through the justice system.

ready4whatever
24th July 2009, 11:14
a 165 grain .308 bullet

lankyman
30th July 2009, 13:20
a 165 grain .308 bullet

Yea. a hollow-nose one

1wheel riot
31st July 2009, 20:54
i have a disc lock for in town a dog and armory at home

Insanity_rules
31st July 2009, 21:29
I have a very recognisable bike and a reputation for violence! Last prick who tried it on with my bike will never forget that lesson in a hurry.

nodrog
31st July 2009, 21:52
How about rigging up a sawn-off shotty with the muzzle pointing out of your tacho and the trigger wired up to you're handlbars. Two birds with one stone: It effectivley stops your bike from been stolen, and it also helps along the process of Darwinism. Also means one less fuckwit we have to fund through the justice system.

http://www.defensedevices.com/shotgun-alarm-signal1.html