PDA

View Full Version : And you thought Murupara was bad

Timber020
21st July 2009, 23:30
From the lovely town that brought you gran torino, I give you detroit.

Massive abondoned buildings, check out michigan central, the fisher body 21 or the book cadillac or St Cryil's, stephan king would love it.

www.forgottendetroit.com

And if you want to see what a city looks like with 12,000 empty and abandoned homes with 10,000 people leaving a year and people taking 500 dead out of the graveyards because the cities getting THAT bad, here are some pics, theres some pretty ugly youtube stuff about on the motor city to. this was one of the biggest most prosperous cities in the US. median house price last year was $7500. Its like P lab heaven. Sad stuff.

The homicide rate dropped by 14% and a candidate for mayor said "I dont mean to be sarcastic but theres nobody left to kill."

100 lovely and quite stately houses.....once, actually some are pretty good and look like cool places.

http://www.kevinbauman.com/100abandonedhouses/

Magua
22nd July 2009, 06:45
White flight, eh? Great link, thanks.

CookMySock
22nd July 2009, 07:10
Looks like Kaingaroa Village. Murupara is mild.

Steve

martybabe
22nd July 2009, 10:29
Very interesting thanks. I give you Nostradamus Bowie's 1973 prediction :rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXxmIcsmpnQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXxmIcsmpnQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Genestho
22nd July 2009, 10:39
Sad eh? You'll note eminems music has a common thread in regards to the sadness of Detroit, which was one of the biggest manufacturing areas in the States, in its hey-day!

Finn
22nd July 2009, 11:28
Once upon a time in Sim City, I managed to build a massive vibrant city with a great public service, extremely low unemployment, almost non-existent crime with very high incomes. Key to its success was industry, particularly manufacturing.

However, there was a spot of bother at one of the motor vehicle plants when a new employee complained about the distance he had to walk from his carpark to the plant compared to management. All of a sudden a Union appeared out of nowhere and in 10 years (about 1 week in Sim time) the place was a bombsite, much like those links.

In real life, The Motorcity got what it deserved. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Timber020
22nd July 2009, 20:57
Once upon a time in Sim City, I managed to build a massive vibrant city with a great public service, extremely low unemployment, almost non-existent crime with very high incomes. Key to its success was industry, particularly manufacturing.

However, there was a spot of bother at one of the motor vehicle plants when a new employee complained about the distance he had to walk from his carpark to the plant compared to management. All of a sudden a Union appeared out of nowhere and in 10 years (about 1 week in Sim time) the place was a bombsite, much like those links.

In real life, The Motorcity got what it deserved. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I thought you would have called in the special guards and machine gunned the teamsters before they would have got out one verse of "The red flag", then we could have called you henry.

Finn
23rd July 2009, 17:00
I thought you would have called in the special guards and machine gunned the teamsters before they would have got out one verse of "The red flag", then we could have called you henry.

Called me morbid but I preferred they all die a slow and miserable death.

Timber020
23rd July 2009, 18:35
Called me morbid but I preferred they all die a slow and miserable death.

You want to marry all of them? Viva La Presidante!

Unions are handgrenades. Used right they are a wonderful and useful thing and can save a situation, but most of the time they just blow crap out of the whole situation and leave a massive mess for everyone.

Forest
23rd July 2009, 21:18

Steady on! The Unions do have their place.

By my reckoning, it's about half-way between the Earth and the Moon.

slowpoke
24th July 2009, 01:23
Yep, fuggin' sad situation that few of us in relatively sheltered NZ can comprehend. It's all very well to talk about cities and statistics but it's 10's of thousands of people who's financial lives have been destroyed through no fault of their own.

It's funny someone should lambast unions in relation to any of this, I don't recall unions ever putting the global financial system on the verge of bankruptcy.