PDA

View Full Version : Bout time for tailored rehab? Recidivist drink driver on Closeup

Genestho
22nd July 2009, 07:46
An Interview with a recidivist on Closeup (http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/story-tony-jack-2859093/video)

I know alot of you think this is bleeding heart liberal BS, lock em up...Shootem

But if you've followed my posts, you will see my conclusions for dealing with Recidivists, is assessment , Interlocking Devices and targeted Rehab solutions. Earning licenses back, and a couple of other provisions. Jail doesn't work.

Your Discussions Please:baby:

Mom
22nd July 2009, 08:12
Anyone that has a couple of EBA convictions is plainly sick. The illness is alcoholism. Sadly there is absolutely nothing that will help these people become well until they actually want to. Sad but true. They dont have a problem you see. A place of personal rock bottom must come to them before they can even attempt to become sober.

Sometimes, that can be the loss of a job or relationship that tips the balance for them, other times it will be something worse. By making life a bit more difficult for them you may encourage them to find their own personal rock bottom, so inconveniecing them in regards to transport might help just a little bit.

It is a good crusade mate, and one I hope is sucessful.

yungatart
22nd July 2009, 08:21
My ex is a recidivist drunk driver...he's up to 16 offences now AFAIK! (could be more, I don't keep tabs on him)
There ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it till the person concerned accepts they have a problem and wants to do something about it.
It's an insidious destructive disease, for sure.

Dodgyiti
22nd July 2009, 08:24
Yep, jail will not work, neither will fines or P.D.
When you have no licence to lose, nor money to pay for fines, then neither is going to have an effect.

In Canada and America you can't get a numberplate if you can't get insurance, the insurance companies issue the plate. Maybe here they could issue number plates to the driver, not the car/bike. Then if you have repeditive offences- no plate. Sticks out like dogs balls to the cops if you have no plate, they pull you up, impound the car/bike and the offender is without wheels. If you loan a car/bike to a repeat offender and they get pulled up, you lose your plate and car/bike gets impounded.

In an ideal world the sales from impounded cars/bikes would go to worthy causes.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry if I don't have any faith in rehabilitation for substance abusers, they only get better if THEY want to...

ManDownUnder
22nd July 2009, 08:34
Isn't there some drug that makes people chunder (violently...) when they have a drink? Is it available as an implant?

I think the true solution is a culture shift. As has been pointed out the guy has a disease and I really think he's beyond helping himself. So - either the implant or loss of freedom.

I really don't know - it's just totally f'd up. All I know is good people die because stupid or sick people drive drunk and it's simply not acceptable.

I'd also say increase the penalty for a first offense to hit 'em hard... first time. Ecveryone deserves a chance to learn - but only the one.

Then put the penalty through the roof. Sure they need understanding if there's genuine illness involved - but first things first - keep me and mine safe!

davereid
22nd July 2009, 08:35
Jail doesn't work. Your Discussions Please:baby:

Jail for the purpose of "punishment" or "correction" can't help someone who is mentally ill, and alcoholisim is certainly an illness of the mind and judgement.

But you and I, and the children walking home from school have the right to be protected from someone for whom it is but a matter of time until they kill someone.

In the absence of an interest to seek a cure himself, this protection may mean the recidivist needs to be locked up where he can do no harm.

IMHO interlocks etc will work best for the person who seeks a cure, and makes the decision to drive only while drunk - a decision that they wold not make while sober.

This guy takes his car to the pub while sober, knowing he will choose to drive it home later. He will actively bypass the interlock, or purchase a car for the pub-trip.

Conquiztador
22nd July 2009, 09:01
Isn't there some drug that makes people chunder (violently...) when they have a drink? Is it available as an implant?

Antabus (is what it was called where I come from). As far as I know it comes only in pill form. It takes up to 7 days for the effects of it to disappear from your body. But the "hard-core" drinkers learn to drink with it in their sysyem.

An Interview with a recidivist on Closeup (http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/story-tony-jack-2859093/video)

I know alot of you think this is bleeding heart liberal BS, lock em up...Shootem

But if you've followed my posts, you will see my conclusions for dealing with Recidivists, is assessment , Interlocking Devices and targeted Rehab solutions. Earning licenses back, and a couple of other provisions. Jail doesn't work.

Your Discussions Please:baby:

We need to get one thing straight: Jail is not for punishment. It has nothing to do with rehab. It is purely there to take someone out of the community who has lost his/her right to be part of it as a result of his/her actions. As soon as we realise that, then we will start to get a sober (sorry re pun) look at things. And as soon as this becomes clear to us we will only use the jail as holding pens w/o any nice accessories.

Other things that need to be put in place:
- Motorvehicle will be impounded as soon as you have a reading that is over the limit and kept until your courtcase. If you are found guilty it is destroyed. AND it does not matter who's car it is. If a drink driver drives a stolen vehicle same applies. It then becomes an issue for the insurance company. And the insurance company will then go after the drink driver for compensation.
- First offence gets you jail for 2 months. STRAIGHT AWAY! No time to sort your life! And no 1/2 sentences for good behaviour. 6 months license gone.
- No day licenses at all!!
- Second offence jail 6 months. STRAIGHT AWAY! And you have lost your license for a year.
- Before you get your licence back you have prove that you have been sober for 2 months (by being monitored/tested on regular basis at your cost!) and you have to had completed a rehab course before you can get the license back.
- 3'rd offence 1 year in jail STRAIGHT AWAY and license lost for life!

Forest
22nd July 2009, 12:19
Alcoholism is incurable insofar as the cravings for alcohol never disappear.

The only way you can manage alkies is to prevent them coming into contact with alcohol.

Personally, I'd just stick the alkies out on Somes Island.

Genestho
22nd July 2009, 16:04
Hmmmm
Forest I understand the cravings, I guess that's why AA members discuss being so many years sober, but appears very easy to fall off the wagon!

Also I understand the need to hit rock bottom, to help yourself out of addiction.

Of the solutions, Rehab and interlocking seem to be the only effective successfully world wide researched and trialled interventions if you like - apart from a chillout inside - purely to protect us from them.

So, as far as a decent prison sentence, I don't see that happening at all.
Recidivist drink drivers are not provided for in the three strikes bill, this is targeting violent offenders only.
As far as licensing issues, they are purely "pieces of paper" that recidivists have no regard for, unless we catch, assess, intervene at low point (of being caught) and monitor through three govt departments.

I still believe it possible to tackle the recidivist drink driver, and the vehicle as two seperate entities.

This type of solution is under consideration.

I know the whole debate regarding alcohol (HUGE), drink driving, and recidivists is under a fairly wide review, but we have proceeded beyond the review with some things...so we should know any month now LOL!

All I know is what we are NOT doing, that we could be doing based on successful worldwide research and trials, I'll keep crack-a-lacking with that!

I came to realise for a few reasons, that a majority "fix" will not fix a minority.

Goodwork Team, great to get feedback on these things!!!:clap: