PDA

View Full Version : Tar snakes or between the tracks?

slofox
22nd July 2009, 12:53
So. It's winter and the roads are mostly wet.
Where I ride, there are many roads where you have to choose between riding in a wheel track that is shiny or riding between the tracks where there is reputed to be more oil than in the Iraqi desert...both options are wet just to add to the fun...
Which do you choose?

Big Dave
22nd July 2009, 12:57
Priority one. Avoid Tar Snakes. Here lurks the skid-demon.
Subsequently choose next best line on merit.

MSTRS
22nd July 2009, 12:59
The centre. It can be slippery, but still offers more grip than the patches of chip-devoid tar. Slow down, too.

jetboy
22nd July 2009, 14:05
I agree with the two above. I tried cornering while in the right wheel track on the road with massive tar snakes, which were smooth like butter, in the wet and found out very quickly that the bike doesn't like that very much - I was lucky not to drop it! Promptly moved to the centre and continued on my merry way.

Moral of the story: Smooth tar = uh oh

gwigs
22nd July 2009, 14:10
I,D have to make that choice at the time of actually riding ....depends what my intuition tells me....so cant vote on it...

Boob Johnson
22nd July 2009, 14:22
Obviously avoid the "runny honey"

Do you really need to ask? Or is this a reverse public safety announcement?

Maha
22nd July 2009, 14:44
What does spooge mean?

MSTRS
22nd July 2009, 14:49
What does spooge mean?

You did ask...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spooge

Maha
22nd July 2009, 14:56
You did ask...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spooge

Yeah um, ta for that......:(
Must say though, I wouldnt wanna slide in that.....:rolleyes:

MSTRS
22nd July 2009, 14:57
Must say though, I wouldnt wanna slide in that.....:rolleyes:

Exactly.
*nudge* Um...dear...do you want to move over...a little...yeah...ta.

slofox
22nd July 2009, 14:57
FWIW, I always choose the between the tracks option - never had a problem there. I have a sneaking suspicion that the amount of oily residue in there is a little overstated, given that the last few cages I have owned seem to drop a helluva lot less oil than some I have owned...mind you, given the average age of the NZ vehicle fleet...

slofox
22nd July 2009, 15:00
What does spooge mean?

It's a good onomatopoeic word, but...:rofl:

Maha
22nd July 2009, 15:06
It's a good onomatopoeic word, but...:rofl:

Ah righto, all clear now.....:rolleyes:

ducatilover
22nd July 2009, 15:07
I go between the tracks when necessary. It's a bitch when you pull out to pass though....wheeeee!!! slide!!!!!:devil2:

The Stranger
22nd July 2009, 15:13
Where I ride, there are many roads where you have to choose between riding in a wheel track that is shiny or riding between the tracks where there is reputed to be more oil than in the Iraqi desert...both options are wet just to add to the fun...
Which do you choose?

The only time I pay particular attention to avoiding the center of the lane is areas where cars spend a lot of time stationary or near stationary. On open roads you are often better off in the middle of the lane to avoid the tar bleed. Where there is no good option, slow down and open up your distances.

monkeymsea
22nd July 2009, 21:48
I use to use the wheel tracks till the other night was coming home along harrisville road on my way home. Was coming up one of the hills in the wheel track and what do you know my zxr reckons it wanted to be in the D1NZ.. luckly i didnt go over.. rode in the centre the rest of the way home.. bike has been in garage since...

oldrider
23rd July 2009, 00:33
Which do you choose?

:blip: Should be obvious really, because I ride a "Triumph", I go my own way! :whistle:

YellowDog
23rd July 2009, 05:58
:blip: Should be obvious really, because I ride a "Triumph", I go my own way! :whistle:
Yep, I do too and I do too.

I sometimes find that when I am actually cornering on my chosen line; it then doesn't look like the line I should have chosen.

In such instances I think it would be more dangerous to try and make any changes and it is best just to ride it out (unless there's a pothole) without deviation and reduce the chance of what you have found yourself into causing a problem.

slofox
23rd July 2009, 11:49
I sometimes find that when I am actually cornering on my chosen line; it then doesn't look like the line I should have chosen.

In such instances I think it would be more dangerous to try and make any changes and it is best just to ride it out (unless there's a pothole) without deviation and reduce the chance of what you have found yourself into causing a problem.

Yep. Agreed.

duckonin
23rd July 2009, 11:56
The middle is the best bet in most cases in the rain,hard to get a cof or wof if you are leaking oil or any form of crud these days, yeah sure some gets by,you only have to ride the Karangahake gorge in the wet to see the diesel leaking from injector pumps ect ect, but still I feel the middle for me..

howdamnhard
23rd July 2009, 17:17
The only time I pay particular attention to avoiding the center of the lane is areas where cars spend a lot of time stationary or near stationary. On open roads you are often better off in the middle of the lane to avoid the tar bleed. Where there is no good option, slow down and open up your distances.

Excellent advise. I have been pondering all this whilst riding in the wet of late and it makes sense. Just shows there are no hard and fast rules as to where you must ride in the lane but is determined rather by the conditions and circumstances and one should be able to remain flexible and adapt to change.

The Stranger
23rd July 2009, 17:41
Excellent advise. I have been pondering all this whilst riding in the wet of late and it makes sense. Just shows there are no hard and fast rules as to where you must ride in the lane but is determined rather by the conditions and circumstances and one should be able to remain flexible and adapt to change.

You are absoultely correct. No hard fast rule (hence my dislike of staggered formation) however, if there is no compelling reason for riding in a particular position I would suggest the correct place to be is the right wheel track where you both see and be seen better.

h_tron
23rd July 2009, 18:03
the shiney-ness draws me in with its sparkel:gob:

ManDownUnder
24th July 2009, 09:45
Obviously avoid the "runny honey"

Yup - no-one likes sloppy seconds...!

ok - back to the topic at hand...

lankyman
24th July 2009, 10:21
There are far too many variables to take into account. Read the road to the best of you're ability, and make the a desicion based on the given situation.

MSTRS
24th July 2009, 10:31
There are far too many variables to take into account. Read the road to the best of you're ability, and make the a desicion based on the given situation.

Of course. Adapt position etc to suit. In saying that, I can't think of an instance where I would choose the smooth tar bleed area over a still-chipped area. Except in a straight line when it's dry.

duckonin
24th July 2009, 10:33
You are absoultely correct. No hard fast rule (hence my dislike of staggered formation) however, if there is no compelling reason for riding in a particular position I would suggest the correct place to be is the right wheel track where you both see and be seen better.
The correct place to be on the road is the right place to be, not so much of this "right wheel track" use all of the road for vis and for others to see U, no hard and fast rule as u say..just the right place all of the time hopefully..:yes:

slofox
24th July 2009, 10:36
The correct place to be on the road is the right place to be,

Yep. The non-slippery bit for me please...

MarkH
24th July 2009, 14:53
You should never 'always ride in the right wheel track'. You should always look ahead and keep the brain engaged. If you see that the wheel tracks are as smooth as glass then you should be willing to consider riding on the less smooth centre instead. If your instincts & experience tells you that you should move to a different road position then do so - there are no rules, only general guidelines! 'Ride in the right wheel track' is a guideline, not a rule (pretty much what The Stranger said).

I will ride where I feel the safest riding and will reconsider as necessary.

laRIKin
24th July 2009, 15:25
Interesting.
To me and a mate that repairs roads.
A tar snake is the repair done to a crack in the tar.
Normally a few inches wide and follows the crack across the road.

MSTRS
24th July 2009, 15:27
Interesting.
To me and a mate that repairs roads.
A tar snake is the repair done to a crack in the tar.
Normally a few inches wide and follows the crack across the road.
That's how I understand it, too. The wheel track shiny's are tar bleed devoid of chip.
Both types are exceedingly slippery, and in the normal course of events, to be avoided.

YellowDog
24th July 2009, 16:19
Lost the back wheel today spinning along the shiney stuff on the Albany Highway. The joins are all over the place making it hard to miss.

Managed to regain control, but was not at all happy.

howdamnhard
24th July 2009, 18:41
however, if there is no compelling reason for riding in a particular position I would suggest the correct place to be is the right wheel track where you both see and be seen better.

Yep thats where I normally ride.

MotoKuzzi
24th July 2009, 18:59
I use to use the wheel tracks till the other night was coming home along harrisville road on my way home. Was coming up one of the hills in the wheel track and what do you know my zxr reckons it wanted to be in the D1NZ.. luckly i didnt go over.. rode in the centre the rest of the way home.. bike has been in garage since...

Same for me a couple of weeks ago going up the hill to Pukekawa from the Tuakau bridge. Hit smooth wet tar and did a massive rear wheel spin at 80kph , thought it was all over, but the bike sorted itself out. Been very cautious around these ways the last few weeks. :scooter: