PDA

View Full Version : Price of tyres!

kinger
22nd July 2009, 18:02
I was a bit pissed on saturday after the match, and pulled my credit card out. Phoned a dealer in UK for two rears and one front Bridgestone BT020.
Now, including shipping from UK to here, I've been charged just under £330, that's around $850. Me, (seeing as I can't get hold of what many of us XJR owners consider to be an excellent dual compound tyre that suits a 230kg bike) I think that's not too bad a deal.
However, I'm now banned from drink related purchases.:drinknsin

Sparky Bills
22nd July 2009, 18:03
Hmmmmmmm :blank:

idleidolidyll
22nd July 2009, 18:45
Hey bud,

I got this bridge for sale:

it joins the top of Lundin to the bottom and has a big tower on each end: very impressive

for about the same price i woulda sold it to ya

cs363
22nd July 2009, 18:47
$850. I think that's not too bad a deal.

Err...seeing as the last NZ RRP I saw for those (120/70x17 & 180/55x17) was $598 for the pair, and considering you'd probably get free fitting/balancing from a shop you supported (if you twisted their arm) how is that a good deal?

Or are you still pissed? :)

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and you mean it's a good deal as it includes freight?

Are these sizes in short supply in your neck of the woods? Have you tried the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's? Others will have different opinions of course, but I really like these tyres for a decent size sports touring bike.

merv
22nd July 2009, 18:49
Just wait for the GST bill on that value when they arrive if Customs feel like getting you http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Private+Importers/Customs+Charges.htm

merv
22nd July 2009, 19:42
Now why I tell you this in the post above is because of experience in that a few months ago I ordered some stuff on Ebay UK (can't remember the exact prices now) but I thought no sweat it will get here no worries at no extra cost.

Next thing Fricken Fedex ring me and they won't release my parcel or do anything until I pay something over $100 for Customs with them claiming a high value for my stuff. So until I paid I couldn't get the thing. They said if I disputed the value I had to send them proof.

Here's where I made a mistake, I sent them my credit card statement info when I paid the money (remember they would do anything until I paid) and then they said they could process a refund with Customs. The parcel duly arrived and I find all the paper work was good and the declared value was actually below what I paid (so there's the mistake, I shouldn't have said anything until I got the parcel, and then I should have asked for the refund based on that declared value - sheesh there was me being too honest).

So I can only imagine Fedex stuffed up and may have entered the price number in UK as US$ but treated it like it was Pommy quid by mistake, because that was about the amount of the stuff up. In the end I got half of my $100 back. Note the catch in that link I sent, they bloody well charge GST on cost of item, plus shipping costs and the real rub is if you pay tax in the other country like VAT on your internet purchase they even tax that tax amount.

So be wary, sometimes they get you.

p.s. why won't a whole lot of Yankee Ebay merchants ship overseas are they under restraint of trade or something because they are generally cheaper than UK?

beyond
22nd July 2009, 19:53
Michelin Pilot Road 2's are ideal for your bike and hell of a lot cheaper than that. You can throw anything at them and they take it just fine.
Awesome dry and great in the wet.

cs363
22nd July 2009, 19:57
Now why I tell you this in the post above is because of experience in that a few months ago I ordered some stuff on Ebay UK (can't remember the exact prices now) but I thought no sweat it will get here no worries at no extra cost.

Next thing Fricken Fedex ring me and they won't release my parcel or do anything until I pay something over $100 for Customs with them claiming a high value for my stuff. So until I paid I couldn't get the thing. They said if I disputed the value I had to send them proof.

Here's where I made a mistake, I sent them my credit card statement info when I paid the money (remember they would do anything until I paid) and then they said they could process a refund with Customs. The parcel duly arrived and I find all the paper work was good and the declared value was actually below what I paid (so there's the mistake, I shouldn't have said anything until I got the parcel, and then I should have asked for the refund based on that declared value - sheesh there was me being too honest).

So I can only imagine Fedex stuffed up and may have entered the price number in UK as US$ but treated it like it was Pommy quid by mistake, because that was about the amount of the stuff up. In the end I got half of my $100 back. Note the catch in that link I sent, they bloody well charge GST on cost of item, plus shipping costs and the real rub is if you pay tax in the other country like VAT on your internet purchase they even tax that tax amount.

So be wary, sometimes they get you.

p.s. why won't a whole lot of Yankee Ebay merchants ship overseas are they under restraint of trade or something because they are generally cheaper than UK?

Yes, this catches out a lot of people that buy from overseas. Many internet sites have been supplying false invoices for customs purposes but they have gotten wise to this and are now watching many of these sorts of imports. Obviously they can't stop everything but it's something to be aware of.

FedEx stuff customs import entries up all the time, probably becasue of the sheer number they do and the speed at which they like to get everything processed.

many EBay sellers just can't be arsed selling outside the US, I guess when you have a market that big who can blame them? :)

nodrog
22nd July 2009, 19:58
i have a pair of rooted pirelli super corsa's, down to the canvas, $400 and they are yours.

Taz
22nd July 2009, 20:09
Keep in mind that the price is for 2 rears and 1 front.

beyond
22nd July 2009, 20:12
Keep in mind that the price is for 2 rears and 1 front.

Oh, then it's not too major a difference then.

Ya need shares in a tyre company to keep a big bike in rubber these days :(

cowboyz
22nd July 2009, 20:14
I reckon you could get a deal for PR2 for under that in NZ. $490 for a set and another $300 for another rear and build another block on that relationship with your local dealer. Doesnt seem like a good deal at all.

Taz
22nd July 2009, 20:16
Ya need shares in a tyre company to keep a big bike in rubber these days :(

One of the reasons I sold my ducati. 6000km's out of a 300-400 tyre is just silly. BMW gets 13k out of a tourance...... Moto guzzi 10yo tyre will probably last another 10 years too :)

beyond
22nd July 2009, 20:40
One of the reasons I sold my ducati. 6000km's out of a 300-400 tyre is just silly. BMW gets 13k out of a tourance...... Moto guzzi 10yo tyre will probably last another 10 years too :)

My last rear 3800kms.... my last front 4400kms :( No track riding either.... or burnouts :(

kinger
31st July 2009, 18:26
They arrived after a week, and no GST to pay.;)

cs363
31st July 2009, 19:01
They arrived after a week, and no GST to pay.;)

Good work! Missed the 2 rears bit :drinknsin as did a few others I think (well spotted Anthrax) so that plus the no GST bit makes it not too bad a deal after all! :D
Maybe this pissed ordering thing is the go :lol: