PDA

View Full Version : Keep a look out for DR650 Plz

zeRax
23rd July 2009, 21:24
Im thinking about reverting my 400 to stock -ish and selling off all my awesome bits and pieces :P get as much for me pain as i can

id like something more simple, air cooled, air oil, thinking dr650 is a good medium,

but id like something ratty ( ie cheap ) cause id plan to do alot of work to it to make it what i want, really all i want is a rolling dr650, forks, swingarm, wheels, frame, engine!

if anyone has any suggestions or other ideas of engine/frame to use please let me know too!

no faults on DRZ400's, amazing bikes, so good, can do anything, seat is even comfy after a short while,

but secretly i have another little play bike, road legal, and its an incredible little bike. so i want to make the other end of the spectrum for more distance, loading up etc,

Woodman
23rd July 2009, 21:44
padmei knows a guy with a wrecked klr in his basement.

bart
23rd July 2009, 21:46
Bloody traitor.

Actually.......I'm about to do something similar

Woodman
23rd July 2009, 21:48
Bloody traitor.

Actually.......I'm about to do something similar

Details please bartman

junkmanjoe
23rd July 2009, 21:48
paladin wont need his for a while....:eek5:

cooneyr
23rd July 2009, 21:57
Yall need to be asking what the "little play bike" is :msn-wink::msn-wink:

bart
23rd July 2009, 22:07
Details please bartman

725cc kit..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nah, just keeping my eye out for something a bit more suitable for SI invasion #2. :woohoo:

Might have to make a week of it next time.

twotyred
23rd July 2009, 22:13
ft10char...

MXNUT
23rd July 2009, 23:18
Im thinking about reverting my 400 to stock -ish and selling off all my awesome bits and pieces :P get as much for me pain as i can

Interested in your bits, let me know when its time to sell

oo ar ... your bits :Oops:

Paladin
24th July 2009, 10:31
725cc kit..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nah, just keeping my eye out for something a bit more suitable for SI invasion #2. :woohoo:

Might have to make a week of it next time.

Don't be in a hurry Bart, I seem to remember Nordie saying the 750 big bore kit is currently being tested and dyno'd in the US!

BTW I think there will be several of us lookin to do a full week in the SI next time, me included!
:rockon:

Paladin
24th July 2009, 10:33
paladin wont need his for a while....:eek5:

I can still do some gentle steady rides(on the road :crybaby:), don't have to stay off the bike completely!
;)

buggsubique
24th July 2009, 11:21
How about XR600? there's aome 90's ones around. Aircooled, RVFC, good susp. Kick only though, but you could wire up a small battery on a charge circuit for adv riding needs, jsut no e start. Be looking around $3-3.5k.

Personally I would LOOOOOVE an XR650R as my play bike. Specially after watching them on the Baja 1000...:yes:

buggsubique
24th July 2009, 11:33
Although I still reckon your machine is right for you (shortass! :shit:). Gear it up for sustainable road revs, it will wind out to 160, You have the tank, you have the carb, you have street wheels.

Put your engineering and welding skills to use and weld up a new rear subframe to take the weight. Your rear shock can take it (cos you're a light little f*cker! :shit:) and design a bolt on luggage / pannier system.

Most of which you'll be doing with a doer-upperer anyway? And DR-Z's are a dime a dozen on TM, so parts are easy. And if / when your bottom end goes or you get to 20-30 000 km, put in your new valve springs, wiseco one piece valves, JT piston / crank and if you are keen to have more HP then an athena 440 kit.

Or are you trying to do 2-up?

IMHO I reckon your bike is the best all rounder you'll ride. Take my AT for a spin sometime soon... good fir touring, ok off road, a handfull in the rough stuff (which normally ends up getting ridden on any adv ride right?

Monstaman
24th July 2009, 11:44
BTW I think there will be several of us lookin to do a full week in the SI next time, me included!

If you guys are looking for somewhere a bit different in Central I would be happy to show you round our back yard. :sunny:

zeRax
24th July 2009, 20:12
argh, so conflicted

but matt, maybe you are right, maybe i can find exactly what i want in my 400

ive had the mindset that my little secret weapon will take away from what i have by having the 400, seperating the two, but having the smaller and the bigger would seperate the two anyway, just more obviously.

im going to have to ponder what exact things i want to build into the a bike

thou two up is a definate agenda, which hampers the idea a bit.

the suspension and power of the 400 definately is great, and ive got it feeling really well.

but whati have in mind is something with front tankand underseat tank or rearish small capacity tank, something less complicated and very barebone would be a really good platform. probably ultimately my goal ;\

i have no doubts the 400 can go absolutely anywhere and conquer some real miles, but im still very conflicted in what i have pictured in my mind and what i really want :\

Padmei
24th July 2009, 20:15
May know a DR that may be for sale. Will make enquiries

CrazyFrog
24th July 2009, 22:49
I'm hearing you Zerax, torn between two lovers, I got conflicting feelings for both of mine too.
I've been riding the DRZ a bit lately, so I took the fully fuel laden KTM out today to the Tag-o-rama site. I love the power and suspension that works so well on the KTM, but God it felt so heavy compared with the DRZ! I'm almost apprehensive to give the KTM too much berry, cos I know one day it's gonna chuck me big time if I get too cocky with the power and handling.
Sure the DRZ isn't as great on the road, but get it in the windy stuff and I love it, the nimble handling is so much fun. Nice and light on the trail and very forgiving when the going gets rough and if ya happen to drop it.
Some work on the rear shock and Racetech fork springs will transform it no end..... and of course a seat reshape with new foam/gel to make things more comfy.
I guess your decision will come down to what you see yourself riding the most in the future, longer distances/comfort/pillion consideration, or shorter blasts solo and a bit more exploring the gnarlier stuff. Now that I'm a bit more restricted to shorter rides for the next few months (with having to share baby care duties), I know which one I'll be having the most fun on.

zeRax
25th July 2009, 18:47
so i put motard wheels on and took missus over to nelson, mucked round, went to bunnings, then home again few hours later, just got home 40 mins ago

hole shit are we sore ;\ i just had totally sore hips from not being able to move about,

realised i couldnt use the swingarm footpegs with motard sprocket set as chain too close and would hit em, so rigged up some bolts sticking out from side of the bike for tammy to put her feet on >_<

without her on the back the bike in motard form is as i remember it, freaking awesome....., wild little green stallion.

poor tammy thou, u can imagine how much seat she had >_<
the very end of the seat, may aswell have been a chopping board o_O hehehe

wild motard thou , :X, but i really dislike tarmac, just cant go fast enough to enjoy it with probable cops lurking, vs off road trim + ability to get away

buggsubique
25th July 2009, 18:58
Mate, Tammy hasn't exactly got a fat ass, so I'm sure there was plenty of seat for her :shutup:. Good effort doing that to Nelsin and back though!Here's (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-231572452.htm) a cheap (relatively speaking) touring machine - wonder if the 1340cc of scream will fit into your DR frame...?

cooneyr
25th July 2009, 19:54
so i put motard wheels on and took missus over to nelson, mucked round, went to bunnings, then home again few hours later, just got home 40 mins ago....

Your a frekking nutter!!! I know that my wife and I are are just a "little" bit bigger than you two and we found the DR650 was ridiculously small and it is huge compared to the DRZ400.

dino3310
26th July 2009, 22:07
Don't be in a hurry Bart, I seem to remember Nordie saying the 750 big bore kit is currently being tested and dyno'd in the US!

you mean the 723cc i wanna be a BIG bore kit:shake: :lol:

dino3310
27th July 2009, 19:59
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-232659337.htm

Squiggles
27th July 2009, 20:05
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-232659337.htm

Might be worth it for the hubs... :shutup:

zeRax
27th July 2009, 20:28
hehe. shes pretty rough alright, instantly wants too much imo

bart
27th July 2009, 21:39
Awwwwwwwwwww.............that's where I put my bubble gum. :laugh::laugh:

NordieBoy
27th July 2009, 22:24
Oh god...

Even I wouldn't bid on that :(

Padmei
28th July 2009, 18:36
Oh god...

Quick slap me -I think I'm dreaming

cooneyr
28th July 2009, 18:52
Oh god...

spare motor???

zeRax
28th July 2009, 19:43
~_~

i want DR650 frame, engine, swingarm, suspension ill get from a DRZ, seems an easy mod if u can source the bits, tank and seat dash panels i believe ill have a go at making @_@

dr650 with drz suspension, custom tanks w/ custom seat :X? super dash

hmm, dreaming dreaming :X,

whole thing to be as barebone as thou, even been thinking old XR600 or XL series ~_~?

zeRax
28th July 2009, 19:50
cept not enough alternat0r power in those a thinks~, dr would be more ideal than anything i can think of, anyone have any other ideas? wouldnt be a 2 minute job, but one day ;X!

NordieBoy
28th July 2009, 19:50
It's only $300 to totally transform the DR650 front end with a pair of Intiminators.

idleidolidyll
28th July 2009, 20:01
i heard a rumour crazy steve has a slightly gravel rashed 650..............................

dino3310
29th July 2009, 08:51
anyone have any other ideas? wouldnt be a 2 minute job, but one day ;X!

what about a TDM 850, i always fancied turning one of those more ADV aggressive :shutup: shit did i really say that:shit:

Monstaman
29th July 2009, 09:14
On that DR650 on TM, just an idea if we could get it for the right price would any of you guys look at parting it and splitting our costs, I am wanting a front and rear wheel, if others are interested in bits and pieces maybe we could swing a deal ... assuming the seller is not asking much more than now?

Just an idea

zeRax
29th July 2009, 16:51
i just want a frame, engine and swingarm @_@ engine looks pretty arsehole heh

Eddieb
29th July 2009, 16:59
A whole DR front end would be nice, but i'd need handlebars, clamps, brakes etc right down to the wheel and all, the whole shebang.

And it'd need to be cheap, cause I am.

Paladin
29th July 2009, 18:20
what about a TDM 850, i always fancied turning one of those more ADV aggressive :shutup: shit did i really say that:shit:

Nah, you don't need one, you've got the BIG!

zeRax
4th August 2009, 17:54
A whole DR front end would be nice, but i'd need handlebars, clamps, brakes etc right down to the wheel and all, the whole shebang.

And it'd need to be cheap, cause I am.

whats cheap

im thinking about it and thinking about it

also thinking drz ohlins front suspension and drz ohlins rear shock, steering dampner, wheels 21/18 from drz etc, fcr carb

i really need to put my bike on trademe !

Eddieb
8th August 2009, 09:18
Nicely setup dr650 on trade me, All the hard work is done.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-234446536.htm

zeRax
8th August 2009, 09:46
alot of hard work that differs to what i want to do :D?

hehe
, did think thou !

bart
8th August 2009, 11:15
Nicely setup dr650 on trade me, All the hard work is done.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-234446536.htm

shhhhhhhhhh:shutup:

MXNUT
8th August 2009, 14:37
A pretty good deal HERE (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=104520)to

dino3310
8th August 2009, 18:22
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-234789456.htm

Eddieb
8th August 2009, 18:25
That doesn't look that bad, wonder why they wrote it off.

junkmanjoe
8th August 2009, 18:37
yea looks ok, paladins bike has been worse than that...:innocent:

Woodman
8th August 2009, 19:17
Seen many adv bikes worse than that, I wonder if the frame is bent or something.

Padmei
8th August 2009, 19:26
Could be the owner isn't up to riding...

zeRax
9th August 2009, 12:28
yea, im gonna see if i can snipethat one, so hands off !, although it doesnt matter if anyone wants bits from it, front end etc, so lets work together ;D

NordieBoy
9th August 2009, 18:03
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-234789456.htm

Now that could be a decent engine right there.

Squiggles
9th August 2009, 20:35
Probably saw the tank and thought write off as they didnt do an assessment sheet. Also have my eyes on it :)

Monstaman
9th August 2009, 20:50
yea, im gonna see if i can snipethat one, so hands off !, although it doesnt matter if anyone wants bits from it, front end etc, so lets work together ;D

You won't want the wheels so I will take those!! :Punk:

drbandit
10th August 2009, 00:08
What bent the exhaust?? Maybe bent the frame?

Monstaman
10th August 2009, 08:03
Want the tank too