PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike theft in NZ?

kjames
24th July 2009, 04:54
a quick question.. is there much motorcycle theft in NZ?

i'm moving across in a month or so and bringing my bike... KTM exc, which doesnt even have an keyed ignition. (got one on order).

I'm in dubai at the moment and the whole hands getting cut off policy seems to keep bike theft down. (ok, they don't really cut hands off here, but there's very little auto theft)

is it anything like the UK or can I relax a little.

K

vfxdog
24th July 2009, 05:16

i'm moving across in a month or so and bringing my bike... KTM exc, which doesnt even have an keyed ignition. (got one on order).

I'm in dubai at the moment and the whole hands getting cut off policy seems to keep bike theft down. (ok, they don't really cut hands off here, but there's very little auto theft)

K

It's as bad as the UK, even worse as regards dual-purpose and off-road bikes. Best policy is to make it as difficult to steal as possible, and chances are the scum will go and look for easier pickings, of which there seem to be quite a few. Read through this forum and you will get the picture.

CrazyFrog
24th July 2009, 06:46
Bike theft is nowhere near as bad here as in the UK, and it seems NZ cities are hit with theft worse than provincial regions. You can Google crim stats if you need to, depending on the region you're intending to settle in. I'm in Nelson, and bike theft is rare here. Compared with UK, where everyone chains/alarms their bikes, I think Kiwis are pretty lax with their bike security, so not suprised there's not more theft.
A lot of bike thefts depend on how/where you park your bike, work and home.
If it's away from prying eyes, and you lock it up well, you're minimising your risk, but if someone really wants it, they'll come looking and get it. A lot of scooters etc get nicked because of where people park them and lack of security. Dirt bikes often get nicked because they're not registered, and are most often ridden in the bush/trails, away from the eyes of the law, so harder to recover. Careful not to leave them sitting on the trailer too long unattended, and use your common sense.
Your gonna love the riding here too!

Waxxa
24th July 2009, 09:38
Make the security for your bike as difficult for the scum as possible, which is hard when you are out and about. Take nothing for granted when you come over (which is a bloody sad thing to say about NZ society today).

LOCK IT UP!

lankyman
24th July 2009, 10:26
There are some pretty low IQ's in this country compared to places like Dubai. Like the guy who minced up my VFR's ignition trying to jam something in there to get it started...

GOONR
24th July 2009, 10:28
I'm originally form the Uk and would say it's about even..

In the last week or so there have been, what, 5 or 6 bikes mentioned on this site that have been stolen, 1 from a locked shed and 3 from a garage. I think the others were out and about somewhere but could be wrong on that.

Basically keep it chained to the floor, deck of the ute or whatever, just make it as difficult as you can for the low life to take it.

ready4whatever
24th July 2009, 10:29
chain it to a fence or tree, something that wont move

Molly
24th July 2009, 21:19
In the UK I wouldn't let my bikes out of my sight and even kept them in the house (and I lived in a decent area). Here, in Christchurch at least, I don't worry about them.

I think those who used to steal bikes are now cooking P so can buy their own.

YellowDog
24th July 2009, 21:30
It can't be that bad in NZ. It just seems bd because there is not much else to report.

Insurance companies don't even insist on locks and alarms.

hayd3n
24th July 2009, 22:27
depends on what parts of nz you are moving to

bsasuper
24th July 2009, 22:32
Population of london millions,
population on NZ tad over 4mil?, so that would make bike theft quote low.

Jonno.
24th July 2009, 22:39
Get insurance.

kjames
25th July 2009, 01:01
moving to christchurch..

the plan is to use the ktm for dual sporting, maybe a bit of racing and to pop some supermoto rims on it for the odd run to work.

i wouldnt even contemplate this in london....

its seems from the replies I need to buy a big chain and use it... but its less of a problem than london

thanks

Karl

Mort
25th July 2009, 01:29
have a look round Auckland - how many bikes are there ...and unlocked too....

Then Take a ride round any UK town ...how many do you see ?

NZ is safer for bikes than the uk, no question. But it does happen so protect your bike.

YellowDog
25th July 2009, 06:30
NZ theifs are more conventional than European ones. Provided you don't leave your bike anywhere silly for a long period of time, it is fairly safe.

In London you can alarm and park you bike up in a busy street for a couple of hours and you can be unlucky enough to get some crim with a shopping list who will pick it up and out it in the back of a van whilst the alarm is going off.

SMOKEU
25th July 2009, 11:14
The trouble is here that if a young person like a 13 year old steals a bike they get let off with a warning because they're too young to prosecute, and then it becomes a big shock for them when they are old enough to go to jail for theft.

jade
25th July 2009, 16:42
dubai sure is a shithole eh ? I got outa there real quick
I imagine you werent riding on the road there, as thats insane
ktm's were dirt cheap there though, like said previously, its pretty unlikely your bike will get stolen unless its asking to be taken

macros87
25th July 2009, 19:08
It can't be that bad in NZ. It just seems bd because there is not much else to report.

Insurance companies don't even insist on locks and alarms.

i wouldnt say thats quiet right... being the guy whos bike was stolen from a locked shed behind his house recently.. my excess would have been way way bigger if the bike had not been locked inside a garage or shed or something.. they might not insist on security but they have other ways to encourage you.

not taking my own recent experience into account i would say its bad, even before mine was stolen i knew a few people who had theirs stolen, and it seems everyone knows some one else whos had their bike stolen so its got to be fairly common.

stolen bike threads are also kind of common on this site.. so while it is bad.. I am told its not as bad as the UK somehow

MotoGirl
25th July 2009, 19:17
its pretty unlikely your bike will get stolen unless its asking to be taken

Not necessarily. The bikes "asking to be taken" are most likely to be flogged by an opportunist because they are easy prey. If you own something that someone else wants, they will have it regardless of where you store it and how it's secured.

RC1
25th July 2009, 19:55
doesnt really matter where you are or how well you secure it , if they really want it they will get it, :yes: a friend of mine had his bike chained to the floor and in an alarmed garage and they still got it,

peasea
25th July 2009, 20:02

K

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Lock it up well, don't let it out of your sight when you're out with it and chain the thing to the floor at night.

scumdog
25th July 2009, 20:06
Not necessarily. The bikes "asking to be taken" are most likely to be flogged by an opportunist because they are easy prey. If you own something that someone else wants, they will have it regardless of where you store it and how it's secured.

The day you can shoot (and not be prosecuted) anybody stealing your property will be a happy day IMHO.

In fact I'd do it for free for others.

Ixion
25th July 2009, 20:07
and chain the thing to the floor at night.

One of my girlfriends threatened to do that , when I was younger. Reckoned it was the only way she'd get any rest.

Dunno what that has to do motorbikes tehfts though.

Swoop
25th July 2009, 20:11
Just buy a Honda, then leave a makeup bag on the seat... Nobody will get close to it.

JovoMan
25th July 2009, 23:19
Speaking from experience the UK (London I'm talking) is far worse than NZ. Simply or probably because the population is greater so hence more professional bike thieves, more bikes to steal etc. So effectively it becomes a full time job for someone if you like. NZ is catching up though.
I've now had one stolen from each country, the score is 1-1. However, I dont get the anxiety I used to have anymore about waking up and discovering no bike outside the house (no garage then). Sometimes I would even dream about it (but I like to remember other dreams instead like Barbara in Barbados, with the big.........I digress :shifty:).

Anyway, tell you one thing that wont happen in the UK. Having your bike stolen 50k's away from your home, then 2 weeks later following it yourself virtually on your doorstep, then catching the phucer the day after in the same area. Still chuckle about it!

SMOKEU
26th July 2009, 00:48
They get away with it too easily. There are far too many chop shops around with thieves getting a couple of years in jail at the worst, then they just make up for lost time by stealing even more shit when they get released from prison. Just chuck em in a game reserve and shoot those bastards.