PDA

View Full Version : Buying a bike from South Island

Espresso
24th July 2009, 11:10
I'm looking seriously at a bike currently in lower south island - if I purchase I would have it trucked up. This is a private sale and purchase, Trade Me listing.

I don't really want to fork over the entire purchase price before it gets here, but what about the seller, he probably won't want it gone without the cash...what's the standard practice for this type of transaction?

It'll cost about $500 to get it transported one way - I'm paying.

ready4whatever
24th July 2009, 11:12
you pay he drops it at the courier. dont know about the deposit? half now half after? not sure

The Pastor
24th July 2009, 11:14
A flight down to inspect it wont cost much

the ride home would be worth it alone

Mystic13
24th July 2009, 12:10
I've sold a few out of towners and someone in Christchurch bought a bike of me in Aucks. payment in full and biketranz. Check the persons feedback, ask heaps of questions and make sure there are a fair amount of good pics and descriptions.

I've been caught out twice. Once on a motorbike by a vehicle trader in Hamiltron. His argument was that if you don't look first then it's your own fault. He felt that he didn't have to be honest in the description or answering questions.

Once buying a BMX bike for my son. Bike was two years old and described as being in Fair Condition. What wasn't said was, it had a ripped seat, broken front brake cable, 8 dents in the rear rim. Rust to Christmas. The bike had been seriously abused and neglected. The bike was better described in poor to very poor condition.

It's always safer to wander down and check before handing over cash. That way you can check that the bike matches the description.

If it goes wrong you have a legal fight. Mostly disputes tribunal.

Shaun S
24th July 2009, 12:25
Get a southerner on this site to check it out first. :yes:

GOONR
24th July 2009, 12:29
+1, that is what I would do.

kiwi123
24th July 2009, 12:30
My workmate had a car sale fall through because the buyer had sold his car to a guy who only paid him a deposit and took the car (and actually convinced him to change the ownership over) before being paid the balance and then he never heard from him again. From memory it was a 24k car with a 3k deposit paid. I'm not sure how he got on, but with no written contract and his signature on the change of ownership papers it would have been a tough fight.

Do you know anyone down there who could look at the bike for you and verify the condition etc? Maybe a pre-purchase inspection at a local shop?

duckonin
24th July 2009, 12:35
You want the bike, so go on down South and only pay if you and only you are happy with your pruchase as it is your money after all..TRUST NO ONE....

As another has said the ride home would be worth the trip 100%

Mully
24th July 2009, 12:50

Hmm, see, I have issues with this. While I'm sure people on here would check it out in good faith, if something goes wrong shortly thereafter, it's a (usually public) shitfight on here.
"XYZ checked out a bike, said it was fine and it's stuffed. The gearbox fell out. They should pay for my new gearbox" and so on.

IMO, get the guy to take it to a bikeshop of your choice. Talk to the mechanic at the shop first and tell them you want a through pre-purchase check done. Pay on your credit card over the phone (If you pay for the check, you own the check) and get them to send the report to you only. You then also have comeback if there's a serious flaw that they don't see that they reasonably should have seen.

If it all checks out, get a one-way Jetstar flight and ride home.

:done:

keithbuckby
24th July 2009, 12:54
I would get it checked by a shop, the seller should be glad to do it if it meant a sale

SVboy
24th July 2009, 13:08
I have bought two [late model] bikes sight unseen. One off TM and one off here. In both cases I was thrilled with the condition. For the one off here, I got a mate to check it out, and his report backed up the sellers description. Conversely, I recently asked some Wellington KBers to check out an older bike up there, and chose not to proceed, based on their feedback. I have checked out a bike for a kber and felt I could provide accurate feedback. I am sure someone down here could help you....THEN come down and ride it back over fun roads!!

James Deuce
24th July 2009, 13:22
+1, that is what I would do.

I wouldn't. They're all shaved monkeys down there.

Bend-it
24th July 2009, 13:22
Hmm, see, I have issues with this. While I'm sure people on here would check it out in good faith, if something goes wrong shortly thereafter, it's a (usually public) shitfight on here.
"XYZ checked out a bike, said it was fine and it's stuffed. The gearbox fell out. They should pay for my new gearbox" and so on.

Yeah, IF you do get someone on here to check it out for you, then they are doing you a favour, so you'll be thanking them and buying them some beers for their time and there's NO COMEBACK...

If you're worried, get it checked out by a shop, like eee said... I once bought a bike from Dunedin, got it shecked out at the shop etc... and then found out that the guy worked there!! Haha! All good though... it was as described... The thing is, if you paid for the check, then you have a comeback if there was any dodgy business going on...

CookMySock
24th July 2009, 13:24
While I'm sure people on here would check it out in good faith, if something goes wrong shortly thereafter, it's a (usually public) shitfight on here.
"XYZ checked out a bike, said it was fine and it's stuffed. The gearbox fell out. They should pay for my new gearbox" and so on.It's fair to feel irritated when something goes wrong, but to accuse those who were helping is really poor form. Poor form that is clear to everyone.

Basically, I won't buy a bike from too far away, as it's just too much hassle and it's no ones' problem except my own if it turns to crap.

Steve

98tls
24th July 2009, 13:27
Oi fuck off,i havent shaved for months.:angry:

oldrider
24th July 2009, 13:30
I'm looking seriously at a bike currently in lower south island - if I purchase I would have it trucked up. This is a private sale and purchase, Trade Me listing.

I don't really want to fork over the entire purchase price before it gets here, but what about the seller, he probably won't want it gone without the cash...what's the standard practice for this type of transaction?

Where abouts is the bike you are interested in buying located? (roughly)

Shaun S
24th July 2009, 13:41
Hmm, see, I have issues with this.Yes my apologies I forgot there is no such thing as "good faith" on KB. :bye:

I have a few contact down South, so if you choose not to have it looked over by a bike shop pm me and I will see what I can do. I will ensure its someone who has been riding for a while and has sound technical knowledge.

oldrider
24th July 2009, 13:57

:Oi: I resemble that remark! :doh:

pritch
24th July 2009, 14:02
I have a few contact down South, so if you choose not to have it looked over by a bike shop pm me and I will see what I can do. I will ensure its someone who has been riding for a while and has sound technical knowledge.

That'd be a plan. I sold my Cheney to a guy in Christchurch. He arranged for someone who lived in New Plymouth to inspect the bike, basically to check it was a runner.

It was, and it duly went south.

Mully
24th July 2009, 15:35
Yes my apologies I forgot there is no such thing as "good faith" on KB.

I will ensure its someone who has been riding for a while and has sound technical knowledge.

It's not so much "Good Faith" as "Best Endeavours, but shit happens" - The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It's why I don't sell cars to close friends without a disclaimer that AFAIK it's all OK, but it could be about to explode.

Your second bit that I've quoted - what if your mate checks it out, comes out OK and he's missed something that end up with it blowing up? His intentions would have been good, but these things happen sometimes. Especially when reasonable sums of money are involved.

Maybe I'm just getting jaded.....

hayd3n
24th July 2009, 16:29

betta than a hairy beast

rosie631
24th July 2009, 16:45
I bought my last bike from the North Island on Tard Me. I got the guy to take it to a local bike shop and they checked it out and sent me a report. For payment (18grand) my lawyer transferred the money to the sellers accountant. Got bike shipped down. When it arrived and i was happy with it my lawyer authorised his accountant to release the money.

James Deuce
24th July 2009, 17:04
betta than a hairy beast

Could I have those photos back please?

oldrider
25th July 2009, 20:49
Where abouts is the bike you are interested in buying located? (roughly)

Well, I did try to help but...............! :whocares:

Lilmsrocker
26th July 2009, 10:52

I'm in ChCh I sold my Sporty to a guy in Auckland.......Its a big chance on the buyers part.....doing it this way....but I was straight up ...and he deposited 14k in my bank and he paid for TRANZ to pick up the bike..saddest day in my life....He got the bike and couldnt believe all the things it had that were not visible in trademe pics...twisted spokes, etc.....He was STOKED!

I work at Radical Choppers and Im happy to round someone up(even from another shop if need be, I know most all of em) who in fact knows about the bike you intend to buy, and as long as its not out in the wop wops....we could suss it out for ya!.......Just a thought.....Im paying it forward here...My good deed of the week!.......:rockon:
Better send me a PM cuz Im new on this thing...have no idea how to check past posts Ive commented on.

Swoop
26th July 2009, 16:32
If it is moved up from the South Island, allow at least a week for the bike to thaw out.

Motig
26th July 2009, 18:31
Wouldnt worry, hes brought it. An R1. See MT01 thread.