PDA

View Full Version : Simple bike servicing

p.dath
24th July 2009, 16:44
I'm not a particularly mechanical minded person, and have a dilemma with my Honda CBR600.

I wouldn't mind doing the basic servicing myself, like changing the oil. I can manage simple things like that.

The bit that worries me about doing it myself (as opposed to getting an expert to do it) is knowing when all the other bits need doing.
For example, how frequently to change the oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filters, chain adjustment, brake pads, and all the other little bits that need things replaced/cleaned from time to time.

Its easy taking it to a bike mechanic, because they can spot things that need doing, or know when everything should be done.

But I feel like I'm missing out on half the fun of owning a bike - looking after its maintenance.

Is their a simple compromise you can think of? Perhaps if I did the oil myself, but took it into a bike mechanic every 12 months to take care of all the other bits? Apart from the oil needing regular changing, is there anything else that needs to be done regularly more frequently than this?

rosie631
24th July 2009, 16:50
If you get a service manual it should have a maintenance schedule. i.e. what needs doing every 800ks etc, etc

Henk
24th July 2009, 17:46
As above, get a maintenance manual. The service intervals should also be in the owners manual if you have one. Things like chain tightening and brake pads are an as required job so you just need to get to the stage where you can tell if your chain is too loose and the brake pads are worn too far. I'm sure there are general bike maintenace books that would point you in the right direction here, or ask a mate that has a clue to have a look. There is nothing too tricky when working on bikes, the only reason I can see to get a mechanic to do things is to keep a warranty alive.

gwigs
24th July 2009, 17:47
As Rosie says get a manual but you will also need a good range of tools,
and ask lots of questions of fellow KBers..You are on the North shore arent you..?
If you need any assistance I,d be glad to help if I can..

p.dath
24th July 2009, 19:34
I managed to locate a service manual. It is so detailed, walking through each of the steps required.

I feel much more confident about doing the basic things now.

Kendog
24th July 2009, 19:41
You should get into bucket racing.

I have learnt heaps mucking around with little older bikes. Servicing the road bike has become far less stressful.

Plus you get to race a bike in what has to be the cheapest form of bike racing around :rockon:

peasea
25th July 2009, 17:18
I'm not a particularly mechanical minded person, and have a dilemma with my Honda CBR600.

I wouldn't mind doing the basic servicing myself, like changing the oil. I can manage simple things like that.

The bit that worries me about doing it myself (as opposed to getting an expert to do it) is knowing when all the other bits need doing.
For example, how frequently to change the oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filters, chain adjustment, brake pads, and all the other little bits that need things replaced/cleaned from time to time.

Its easy taking it to a bike mechanic, because they can spot things that need doing, or know when everything should be done.

But I feel like I'm missing out on half the fun of owning a bike - looking after its maintenance.

Is their a simple compromise you can think of? Perhaps if I did the oil myself, but took it into a bike mechanic every 12 months to take care of all the other bits? Apart from the oil needing regular changing, is there anything else that needs to be done regularly more frequently than this?

Not bad thinking.

What would you estimate your annual k's would be? Your checks need to relate to k's travelled, so if you do 10,000kms per year your plan has merit, double that and your up for some dollars and so on. A heck of a lot of general maintenance is visuals combined with a bit of basic tinkering. The more you do, the more confident you will be with your abilities and also the more confident you'll be in taking on more road trips. You'll get to know the machine in short order and that's a good thing.

p.dath
26th July 2009, 15:53
Well I bit the bullet today, and after half a day managed to complete changing the oil and oil filter. Next time will be much faster, as taking the fairings off took me quite a bit of time.

I was especially please when there were no bits left over. I'll be even more happy if after a week I don't experience catostrophic engine failure.

The oil seemed just as clean as the new stuff I put in. I think I'll increase the amount of km's between changes as a result, closer to watch the service manual says.

Also discovered there is a hook under my seat that I can hang my helmet strap on and lock the seat down. That will come in sooo handy.