PDA

View Full Version : Got a GPS, near-ish Takaka?

Gremlin
26th July 2009, 01:57
or do you head out to Takaka?

I'm hoping to find out the co-ordinates of the Cobb Power Station (http://www.trustpower.co.nz/index.php?section=128), somewhere on Cobb Dam Rd, between Upper Takaka and the Cobb Reservoir.

Simply head out there (watch the road, apparently its narrow, as in, one lane wide), and when you get there, save the point, and let me know the co-ords.

Would be much appreciated, as I will be noting it for garmin gps running the nz open source maps, and will also assist with planning for the TT2000 next march.

:yes:

Blackbird
26th July 2009, 08:13
Just had a look on Google Maps out of curiosity and it already seems to be listed with photos. There's already some TT2000 info there too so you might want to take a look.

Reference is 41° 5' 7.94" S 172° 44' 0.33" E

Balrog
26th July 2009, 10:58
Hey Gremlin

I've attached a KMZ file with the track log I took riding up the Cobb at the beginning of the year.

PM with your mail address and I'll send you my GPX file if you'd prefer that format. ( Can't post up a tiny GPX text file for some reason )

I haven't marked off the Power station, but if you know where it is you should
be able to find the track point that was closest

Cheers Jim

Gremlin
26th July 2009, 16:38
Just had a look on Google Maps out of curiosity and it already seems to be listed with photos. There's already some TT2000 info there too so you might want to take a look.
Yep, seen all of the TT2000 info, but I am busy converting all the web info into the necessary GPS files, and they need to be accurate (Google Maps is listing about 4 different locations for the power station). They also need to exist, and currently, there is no listing for the Cobb Power Station in our mapset.

I haven't marked off the Power station, but if you know where it is you should
be able to find the track point that was closest
Thanks Jim. I've realised I didn't engage my brain, and I've used satellite imagery to locate it. Thanks for the offer of the GPX file tho.

For those using NZ Open GPS Maps, the POI entry will probably become available in releases within the next month.

Once complete, I'll probably ask the organisers of TT2000 if they want a copy of the GPS file, for making available for download etc.

ajturbo
26th July 2009, 16:46
go over the hill... take first left after pub that burn't down..... keep going till dam... hard eh

Gremlin
26th July 2009, 17:08
go over the hill... take first left after pub that burn't down..... keep going till dam... hard eh
Very hard... the GPS didn't understand a word you said :mellow:

I even tried searching for "burnt down pub"... no success :no:

Jantar
26th July 2009, 17:54

You should add

"Do a U turn and go back 11 km, the Power Station is on your left."

Alternatively just stop at the Power Station, take your photo then head back down the road without even going to the dam. :laugh:

gijoe1313
26th July 2009, 18:10
Oh gawd, he now wants to end up in the middle of a dam, with his bike in the water and saying "this is real adventure now isn't it?" :slap: :thud:

Jantar
26th July 2009, 18:18
Oh gawd, he now wants to end up in the middle of a dam, with his bike in the water and saying "this is real adventure now isn't it?" :slap: :thud:

Come on Joe, You'll be joining us for that ride won't you? And if you choose the right flyers you could get to see a couple of dams. :ride: :ride: :ride:

Gremlin
26th July 2009, 18:24
Last time we encountered anything like this, it was you and your bike that was getting close up with the scenery :lol:

Come on Joe, You'll be joining us for that ride won't you? And if you choose the right flyers you could get to see a couple of dams. :ride: :ride: :ride:
Mr Joe reckons if he plans to do a trip, he can't make it. Mid March should see him back at work doing 100km a week. Not to mention, he'd probably get bored of following routes, and probably find himself chatting to McJim in Invercargill :laugh:

ajturbo
26th July 2009, 18:37
You should add

"Do a U turn and go back 11 km, the Power Station is on your left."

Alternatively just stop at the Power Station, take your photo then head back down the road without even going to the dam. :laugh:
there USED to be a dozen or so houses opposite the power station.....

i used to stay there in the late 80's, for work...