PDA

View Full Version : CBR250RR headlight issue

phantom67
27th July 2009, 11:50
Hey folks, I've got a 1996 CBR250RR, and recently I've been having some misfiring issues. This morning on my way to uni, I realised the bike was running fine again, except my headlights were dead. So my conclusion was, that the spark plugs must not have been getting enough juice before, due to the broken headlight leads or something along those lines.

So where do I start? I've tried the two headlights on their own, and I tried a spare headlight. The little indicator thing on the dash for high beam is also dead, so I'm guessing the whole wiring system for the headlights must be fucked. The brake lights, indicators, oil light and neutral light all still work fine.

What should I do?

Cheers in advance.

Gremlin
27th July 2009, 11:54
When you say a spare headlight, do you mean bulb? Have you checked the fitted ones are not broken?

The next thing to check I guess is whether or not the headlight is getting power from the loom...

Electrical problems are so much fun :sunny: :shutup:

phantom67
27th July 2009, 11:55
Alright I messed around with the wiring some more, checked that everything was connected properly, and now one of them come on, and one of them is dead, but both of them come on when I turn it on to high beam. I tried my spare headlight again, and it works fine. So can I conclude that the one headlight is fucked, or is there something else I should be worried about?

Gremlin
27th July 2009, 11:57
Someone will need to confirm whether both lights will actually be on, on low beam. A lot of bikes will only have one light on, on low beam.

If that isn't the case, check the filaments within the bulb...

phantom67
27th July 2009, 12:07
When you say a spare headlight, do you mean bulb?

My spare headlight is a whole separate headlight unit. Right, The lights were on high beam, worked fine, I started the bike, they worked fine. When I tried again, the headlights, both, went dead again.

Someone will need to confirm whether both lights will actually be on, on low beam. A lot of bikes will only have one light on, on low beam.

Both of them have always come on on low beam up until now.

Gremlin
27th July 2009, 13:31
right... check the filaments in the bulb to make sure none are broken.

If you find metal sliding around in the bulb, tis broken. Do your best not to touch the glass of the bulb, as it shouldn't be touched with skin.

CookMySock
27th July 2009, 13:36
Sometimes when you have a blown bulb, you can give it a tap and the snapped filaments will touch and light the bulb up.. This can make it look like you have a wiring fault.

Steve