PDA

View Full Version : Cops ticketing at stop sign before carpark

phaedrus1
27th July 2009, 13:03
Just a heads up to all who park in the science carpark, I got busted not coming to a complete stop when turning left up the hill to the carpark from Wellesley st.

Bugger $150 ouch.....

Apparently its a sore point for the uni, so they have asked the cops to police it a bit more hence the undercover car parked up.

I know I was in the wrong but I still can't help but feel ripped off.. oh well life goes on.

boomer
27th July 2009, 13:06
Just a heads up to all who park in the science carpark, I got busted not coming to a complete stop when turning left up the hill to the carpark from Wellesley st.

Bugger $150 ouch.....

Apparently its a sore point for the uni, so they have asked the cops to police it a bit more hence the undercover car parked up.

I know I was in the wrong but I still can't help but feel ripped off.. oh well life goes on.

be grateful u weren't wearing sandals.. u fookin hippie !

YellowDog
27th July 2009, 13:08
Sounds like cops at a loose end with nothing better to do.

Taz
27th July 2009, 13:12
Real lucky he didn't run you over I suppose?

CookMySock
27th July 2009, 13:14
I watched a line of cop cars go straight through the stop sign outside my house. There were clearly off on a job and not in any hurry at all, but each of them in turn just rolled straight through the compulsory stop, seemingly without care or regard. I wish I had a camera on them - would have been great on youtube.

I almost always stop. I don't really know why. I guess I'm not in a hurry.

Steve

phaedrus1
27th July 2009, 13:21
Yeah, I should have stopped for sure, but I'm on a scooter and its the bottom of a dip so I have a tendency to treat it as a give way, and if no ones coming, roll on through so I don't have to slug it up that hill so much. Also I was running tight on time for a lecture, whcih I was subsequently late too..... always the way.
Still I'll be stopping next time<_<

one fast tl1ooo
27th July 2009, 13:27
Yeah, I should have stopped for sure, but I'm on a scooter and its the bottom of a dip so I have a tendency to treat it as a give way, and if no ones coming, roll on through so I don't have to slug it up that hill so much. Also I was running tight on time for a lecture, whcih I was subsequently late too..... always the way.
Still I'll be stopping next time<_<

you do the crime.... you pay for the crime :laugh::laugh::laugh:

RC1
27th July 2009, 13:31
Sounds like cops at a loose end with nothing better to do.

sounds more like uni students think there above the law :2guns:

phaedrus1
27th July 2009, 13:34
Nah not at all, I fully know what i did was wrong, just feel the sting thats all, I just wanted to put it out there so poeple have more care at that intersection, and realise it is a stop sign after all.:Police:

rickstv
27th July 2009, 13:45
The cop in a round about way may have saved your life next week.:Police:
(bad grammar on purpose):love:
Rick

phaedrus1
27th July 2009, 13:48
True.... "and theres the silver lining":sunny:

SPman
27th July 2009, 14:00
Most of us old fella's who came from a time when the John Hops regularly targeted compulsory stops, probably make sure the wheels cease moving as a matter of habit.
It can't be bad for you!

Squiggles
27th July 2009, 14:13
They've been in and out doing it for the last few months... We've asked for something to be done outside OGG on grafton road where people double park and pull uturns, so if you're one of them this is ya warning. :msn-wink:

Danae
27th July 2009, 15:33
Stopping involves putting both feet down. I'm currently trying to make this a habit so I don't get snapped for it during the restricted test...

R6_kid
27th July 2009, 15:35
No offence mate but good call on their part. I've always been worried coming over the hill from the end of the motorway that cars/buses won't stop, and I have had people dive in infront of me a couple of times. They can't be picky, and I'm sure you'll stop next time.

crazyhorse
27th July 2009, 15:42
:Police: Just another example of revenue collecting. :Police: :2guns:

Ragingrob
27th July 2009, 15:56
No offence mate but good call on their part. I've always been worried coming over the hill from the end of the motorway that cars/buses won't stop, and I have had people dive in infront of me a couple of times. They can't be picky, and I'm sure you'll stop next time.

I'm with you on this one.

ALTHOUGH... When you are coming from town up to the stop sign, the only traffic that concerns you is the oncoming traffic turning right, it ain't as if there can be any obscure traffic to come past you. When there is obviously nobody in that right hand turn lane, it feels pretty stupid to come to a complete stop!

So I guess I'm questioning the actual reasoning behind it being a stop sign as opposed to a giveway.

Real_Wolf
27th July 2009, 16:01
stopping means both feet down? isn't it that the wheel has to stop moving?

I thought the official thing is the wheels must not be moving (and not just an awesome skid, car/bike not moving either).

And as R6 said there, I agree with this too, its a bloody pain in the ass when this big slow bus pulls out in front of you without stopping and you have to brake to let them go past when normally they shoulda stopped

motorbyclist
27th July 2009, 16:21
while it IS a stop sign, i can totally relate to the scootererist's need to keep up momentum.

at the same time, it's always disconcerting when you're the guy with right of way and the traffic hasn't stopped or given any indications they plan to.

cheers for the heads up

put both feet down to stop

this is a legal move - if you stop and put both feet down it's pretty hard for the cop/testing officer to think you hadn't stopped.

i tend to be lazy and come to an almost complete stop while looking, doing a snails pace for a foot or so. probably get a ticket one day despite me obviously taking several seconds to ensure my safe passage.

SPman
27th July 2009, 17:12
Stopping involves putting both feet down.
Unless you're riding a Piaggio MP3......

ManDownUnder
27th July 2009, 17:20
Unless you're riding a Piaggio MP3......

Or you are me... who regularly comes to a complete stop, then proceeds again without lifting feet from the pegs. It's just a practice thing (and I don't stop for more than a second or two), but I do it for balance training/a game.

I've often wondered what would happen if a cop pulled me for failing to stop. Coz I do!

phaedrus01
27th July 2009, 17:34
Na no offence taken at all, I know I shouldn't have but its just one of those things, the only lane I need to worry about clearly had no one in it, I was lazy and didn't stop. Simple really, the cop was saying that apparently some pedestrians have had to make a bolt for it as they dawdle across that bit of princes st there. So now its time to crack down a bit I 'spose.
But you're right I will certainly be doing a full stop next time:done:

Danae
27th July 2009, 17:38
Hrm I come from the opposite direction anyway lol. The way I go has the right of way but people still pull out in front of you so I tend to slow right down turning right from Wellesley into Princes St

bomma
27th July 2009, 20:43
i agree with all the pig supporting but what gets me is that the lane to the right of said left hand turn lane, which cuts directly across the the turning traffic is a give way......where's the logic in this!?!?!?!

Ragingrob
27th July 2009, 20:50
i agree with all the pig supporting but what gets me is that the lane to the right of said left hand turn lane, which cuts directly across the the turning traffic is a give way......where's the logic in this!?!?!?!

I'd hazard a guess at maybe the level of traffic going the respective ways maybe?

R6_kid
27th July 2009, 20:51

Would make more sense if it were the other way around, or perhaps both stop signs.

bomma
27th July 2009, 20:55
Would make more sense if it were the other way around, or perhaps both stop signs.

i would prefer that they were both stop signs to be honest. i think the left hand lane is a stop sign because there are lots of students that cross in that area.

motorbyclist
27th July 2009, 20:56
it's because the left turning traffic just bowls into pedestrians, AND if a large vehicle like a bus is present, it may block the view of oncoming traffic. also the left turning traffic may have assumed the bus going straight through grants them right of way, having not realised the bus has to give way also.

either way i think it should be a give way. there's quite a few places that have stops that imo should be give way, but aren't because people are useless and just blunder through intersections without looking

bomma
27th July 2009, 20:58
I'd hazard a guess at maybe the level of traffic going the respective ways maybe?

after four and a half years at uni, im still to see a close call with people running the stop sign....the number of times ive seen people brake hard to avoid people going through that give way sign however.........

and at the OP, tough bikkies mate, just realised what time of the month it was lol :laugh:

ital916
27th July 2009, 21:53

Bugger $150 ouch.....

about bloody fucking time they policed it...sorry you got the fine though mate.

People tear through that stop sign all the time, a lot dont even see the traffic coming from the symonds street overbridge.

I reckon if they sat out there for a week they could make their quota faster than ever.

A lot of students cross there, drivers and riders have to take a lot more responsibility there.

Ragingrob
27th July 2009, 22:23
about bloody fucking time they policed it...sorry you got the fine though mate.

People tear through that stop sign all the time, a lot dont even see the traffic coming from the symonds street overbridge.

I reckon if they sat out there for a week they could make their quota faster than ever.

A lot of students cross there, drivers and riders have to take a lot more responsibility there.

As Squiggles said, they've been there almost once a week for the past few months! I always thought they were just doing random license and rego checks and that was gay, but now it's all good lol.

I've never had anyone not give way to me at that stop sign. Last week was a goody though with a lady pulling out right in front of me while I was sitting at 70kph, with the sun shining on me, and the only vehicle in sight, no idea how she couldn't see me. And then one day I'd just left uni, sitting on motorway, when a friendly truck decided to share my lane and pulled straight across, that was fun for sure lol!

Anyway it had me thinking... If I'd followed the RRRS course when that lady pulled out, and swerved to the right, I would be dead meat! I always thought it was a bit dodgy giving advice on how to handle a situation like that when each situation is different.

motorbyclist
28th July 2009, 16:43
Anyway it had me thinking... If I'd followed the RRRS course when that lady pulled out, and swerved to the right, I would be dead meat! I always thought it was a bit dodgy giving advice on how to handle a situation like that when each situation is different.

my only cage collision was when a swerved to the right (special case), and a had a very near one too while swerving right (due to the retard doing everything wrong), but then again i've dodged MANY accidents while swerving to the right (or equivalent)

if you swerve left you'll go straight into the kerb or the island (trying to brake downhill etc), and as RRRS said, the idiot behind the first one might go for it too.

imo a blast of the horn usually gets their attention and i've got plenty of available traction to either slow and tuck in behind or swing right and pass deliberately close to their driver door with the horn blaring. never had to test this yet on that particular intersection.

just keep your wits and use common sense

Real_Wolf
29th July 2009, 08:14
Yeah, i've had to swerve to the right, into a 'stopped' lane of traffic. Was travelling down the transit lane on onewa when there was a gap in the 'stopped' lane on onewa, so the person from a sideroad thought 'sweet, i'll turn right now (not the direction i was travelling)', started pulling out, then slammed on the brakes when DIRECTLY in the middle of my lane. Had I been a bus woulda T-boned into her door, instead I just braked, rather than continue on my slightly slippery new front tyre, i just slalomed round her through the gap she was using, then blared my horn

motorbyclist
29th July 2009, 15:14
Had I been a bus woulda T-boned into her door, instead I just braked, rather than continue on my slightly slippery new front tyre, i just slalomed round her through the gap she was using, then blared my horn

what the rrrs was saying is that if you go left, they might stop and you'll go straight into them, and if they don't, another cage might follow them anyway, and if you do miss them, you're now headed for a ditch/kerb/pedestrains.

however, if you go right, you're potentially going into oncoming traffic, or if the cager doesn't brake (or otherwise continues across your path), you may have to continue swinging right.
In my case, a 4WD on muriwai that i was passing on their right, swung 90 degrees right without any indication. i tracked right and ended up hitting at about 40 degrees doing about 80kph. Had i braked there was a chance i could have slipped around the back of them. they didn't indicate, and gave false details having done a considerable amount of damage to my dirtbike.

Another near miss involved an idiot doing a u turn over a crest, and me on a topped out fxr150:
they move right across my lane
i hit brakes + horn
they stop in my lane
i come off brakes to sail past in right hand lane (no oncoming traffic)
they then nail it again, so we're looking at a head on collision (which in retrospect probably would've been blamed entirely on me)
I, now without enough room to tack left, go further right and on the brakes.
they realise that they're fucking idiots and stop again
I sail into the gravel shoulder on the complete right side of the road, doing about 40kph, lose another 10kph, swing back onto the road and lock the rear to do a 180 and stop, facing the way i came.
They floor it and disappear over the crest.
I consider my options (being on an fxr150) and decide to leave it.

Danae
29th July 2009, 15:22
Scary shit...I need to do that RRRS course at some point...

PirateJafa
29th July 2009, 15:47
Danae... just remember that while it was "scary" for him... he was also topped out on his FXR at around about 150km/h... going over a blind crest...

What is it they say about throwing stones and glass houses? ;)

Also Andrew, regarding the swerving into oncoming traffic etc... bear in mind what happened to James.

Danae
29th July 2009, 15:50
I heard something about a biker who purposely plowed into the driver's door of a lady's car who failed to give way (apparently she was notorious for never giving way to bikes). Her cage was written off (as was his bike) but she got the full blame and everything. Not saying this is a good idea tho...

motorbyclist
29th July 2009, 15:51
Danae... just remember that while it was "scary" for him... he was also topped out on his FXR at around about 150km/h... going over a blind crest...

What is it they say about throwing stones and glass houses? ;)

Also Andrew, regarding the swerving into oncoming traffic etc... bear in mind what happened to James.

which james? swerving right it was the rrrs advocates. i reckon it's far too situation specific, and some times there's not much you can do to avoid an accident apart from travelling slower before the hazard presents itself

on that note topped out was an indicated 120 (had to go uphill for tehre to be a crest ;)), so about 100kph:laugh:

and yes, it was back in my idiot days, on the smc 250 kiaua ride where i led most the ride on a 150 :first:

motorbyclist
29th July 2009, 15:52
I heard something about a biker who purposely plowed into the driver's door of a lady's car who failed to give way (apparently she was notorious for never giving way to bikes). Her cage was written off (as was his bike) but she got the full blame and everything. Not saying this is a good idea tho...

hey, they can't say there weren't involved if their door is smashed in ;)

they then nail it again, so we're looking at a head on collision (which in retrospect probably would've been blamed entirely on me)

i can just imagine it now:
them - "honest officer, he just came over the crest in our lane!!!"
me - "gurgle *wheeze* gasp *wheeze*"

Danae
29th July 2009, 15:55
hey, they can't say there weren't involved if their door is smashed in ;)

That's the reasoning behind it :laugh:

SMC 250 ride...why does that deliver a chill down my spine? :lol:

Ixion
29th July 2009, 19:49

That done was me. Or at any rate , I done did that. But the old A10 wasn't written off, but. Only a scrath on the front mudguard. Her Austin A30 was written off. And yes, she was notorious for refusing to give way to motorcycles- took a mate out a month or so before. And the snakes (was snakes then, not cops), charged her. No comeback on me "Yes orificier , ALMOST managed to stop" - actually I could have, I slowed right down, changed down into first and gunned it so I hit her with the suspenders rising.

But you wouldn't find a bike as tough as the A10 nowadays- best Briddish scrap iron that was.

Real_Wolf
30th July 2009, 10:59
I dunno, I think I know a bike that would beat it.

Of course this bike was already scrap metal, but it weighed enough it'd to plenty of damage

FJRider
30th July 2009, 11:08
Nah not at all, I fully know what i did was wrong, just feel the sting thats all, I just wanted to put it out there so poeple have more care at that intersection, and realise it is a stop sign after all.:Police:

More care should be taken at ALL stop signs ... not just that one.

How many demerits ???