PDA

View Full Version : Scottoiler

p.dath
27th July 2009, 14:00
I've been religiously lubricating my chain. Then one of the guys at work today asked why I didn't use the Scottoiler on my bike? I said what Scottoiler. And he said that one.

So now that I know I have a Scottoiler I have more questions.

What kind of oil should I fill it up with?

It looks kinda gungy. Is there a safe way of "cleaning" it out so I can be sure that it will work, rather than waiting for chain failure to happen?

NighthawkNZ
27th July 2009, 14:15
What kind of oil should I fill it up with?

Scott oil... most bike shops have it...

also we have questions for you... is your chain an O ring chain... ensure the correct oil ;)

p.dath
27th July 2009, 14:33
Yes, it does have O-rings in it.

Jantar
27th July 2009, 15:21
Scottoil is suitable for O ring chains. As long as the inside of the reservoir is clean, it doesn't matter how gungy the outside is.

crazyhorse
27th July 2009, 15:23
I've been religiously lubricating my chain. Then one of the guys at work today asked why I didn't use the Scottoiler on my bike? I said what Scottoiler. And he said that one.

So now that I know I have a Scottoiler....

I take it you are new to motorcycles - how could you not notice???

Waxxa
27th July 2009, 16:01
The Scottoiler will be the investment you make on your bike. it will prolong chain and sprocket life up to 7 times normal lifecycle.

you buy Scottoiler 'oil' for it, fill up the reservoir and forget it.

Flip
27th July 2009, 16:07
Had a 1200 Trophy with a scott oiler. The 2nd chain I fitted lasted 70,000 km and was still going strong when I sold the bike. The first chain lasted 18,000. Made a bit of a mess but that's what chains do. Never used anything but the Scott brand oil and a litre lasted for ages.

p.dath
27th July 2009, 19:18
I've been down to Cycletreads in Takapuna and bought some Scottoiler oil now.

Does it look like it is mounted correctly? When looking at pictures on google it seems to show the noozle pointing more downwards.

Gremlin
27th July 2009, 19:59
It should be point more down, towards the chain links, ie, simple theory. You don't need to oil the sprocket, you need to oil the links in the chain...

mouldy
27th July 2009, 21:40
Move it so it drops oil in the centre of the chain just in front of the sprocket , gets both sides of the chain then . Flow is adjustable and if you get them set right your chain never goes dry and bugger all gets on your wheel

Flip
30th July 2009, 21:16
I've been down to Cycletreads in Takapuna and bought some Scottoiler oil now.

Does it look like it is mounted correctly? When looking at pictures on google it seems to show the noozle pointing more downwards.

It will get there ok. It looks fine to me.

Jantar
30th July 2009, 21:25
Also make suer you turn the lever all the way to prime (with engine running)to get the oil flowing in the first place. Once oil is flowing set it back to around 1 drop per minute.

p.dath
31st July 2009, 09:19
Also make suer you turn the lever all the way to prime (with engine running)to get the oil flowing in the first place. Once oil is flowing set it back to around 1 drop per minute.

This is my weekend project. Which position is actually the "prime" position?

p.dath
31st July 2009, 09:20
It will get there ok. It looks fine to me.

I was thinking that at motorway speed the wind might tend to blow the oil off before it make it to the chain, because it has a long way to drip down to the chain.
How can I actually tell that the chain is being oiled by it?

Naki Rat
31st July 2009, 09:27

Good advise. A couple of other details are that oil flow is controlled by inlet manifold/throttle body vacuum so when engine isn't running - no vacuum - no oil flow. Also to fine tune the rate of flow it should result in the odd speck of oil being flicked onto the rear wheel rim. That shows flow is the correct rate :yes:

I'm into minimising maintenance and my Scottoiler definitely does that.

Naki Rat
31st July 2009, 09:39

Plenty of information on their site (http://www.scottoiler.com/H.asp).

Gremlin
31st July 2009, 10:54
You should be able to see numbers around the top of the reservoir. The lower the number the slower the drip rate. Prime is past the top of the numbers, and you simply rotate the cap so that the indicator tab is hovering over the desired setting.

How can I actually tell that the chain is being oiled by it?
It will look oily :whistle:

p.dath
3rd August 2009, 20:19
Spoke to a friend about using a Scottoiler and he told me not to bother as they are messy. But with all the positive comments on here decided to give it a try anyway.

Seems okay. I tend to let my bike warm up on the drive way before using it. When the bike is on its side stand the oil drips onto the ground. I get a nice little blue patch.

What do others do about "the leak"? Just tolerate it?

Naki Rat
3rd August 2009, 20:25
Spoke to a friend about using a Scottoiler and he told me not to bother as they are messy. But with all the positive comments on here decided to give it a try anyway.

Seems okay. I tend to let my bike warm up on the drive way before using it. When the bike is on its side stand the oil drips onto the ground. I get a nice little blue patch.

What do others do about "the leak"? Just tolerate it?

If it is fitted correctly it shouldn't drip. The vacuum of the inlet manifold (or similar) feed starts the oil feed but with the engine stopped the lack of vacuum should shut it off.

p.dath
3rd August 2009, 20:30
If it is fitted correctly it shouldn't drip. The vacuum of the inlet manifold (or similar) feed starts the oil feed but with the engine stopped the lack of vacuum should shut it off.

Let me clarify. I start my bike. It's leaning over because it is on its side stand warming up. Because it is leaning over the oil drips on the outside of the chain and onto the ground.

When the bike is vertical all is well.

bsasuper
3rd August 2009, 20:50
For me, the scottoiler is a very expensive mess maker, chain wax used every few hundred k's is fine.

LBD
3rd August 2009, 21:11
It should be point more down, towards the chain links, ie, simple theory. You don't need to oil the sprocket, you need to oil the links in the chain...

Oiling against the sprocket is is fine, centrifugal force spreads it onto the chain.

I was going to fit a Scottoiler but was unable to locate a discrete location...so I now put a little dribble on either side of the the sproket when I fuel up. One tension in 5500km was enough...chain is greasy not oily...all good IMO.

Naki Rat
4th August 2009, 09:48
Let me clarify. I start my bike. It's leaning over because it is on its side stand warming up. Because it is leaning over the oil drips on the outside of the chain and onto the ground.

When the bike is vertical all is well.

Adjust the outlet so it drips where the oil is required. I suspect that you should also back the flow off a tad. I have no such problem, just a permanently lightly (but sufficiently) lubed chain :niceone:

p.dath
8th August 2009, 10:04
My experience with my scottoiler is about 50/50 after using it for a couple of weeks now.

I have it set to drip every 45s. When I started using it two weeks ago I gave the chain a clean as well.

I've noticed if I go somewhere and park the bike for a while, say 8 hours or so, when I come back there are always a couple of black puddles of oil on the ground under the chain along the length of the chain. Not big puddles, but noticeable. It is definately coming from the chain.

When I was simply greasing my chain I didn't get any oil spots. I think the chain lube sticks to the chain much better.

So is this fairly normal for a scottoiler, or should I back the flow off even more?

bsasuper
8th August 2009, 10:32
problem with using oil is everything sticks to it, chain waxes tend to leave a dry film.

Jantar
8th August 2009, 11:15
Unless you are riding gravel or wet roads then 1 drop per minute is all that is required. On long rides in warm conditions (oil flows faster when warm) one drop per 90 seconds is all that is required.

nallac
8th August 2009, 15:17
Don't have one myself, but it definately sounds like its getting over oiled
if its dripping alot of oil after sitting for a while.

I clean and oil the chain myself,stays hell of a lot cleaner than lube but would prefer a scott oiler.Sooo much easier............

tuska
12th August 2009, 15:17
is scott oil that special...surely all o ring chains are oil resistant anyway...wouldn't a thick oil do job for much less per litre?

p.dath
16th August 2009, 23:23
For me, the scottoiler is a very expensive mess maker, chain wax used every few hundred k's is fine.

After using the Scott Oiler for about 3 weeks now I have decided to stop and go back to use normal chain lube.

Even after adjusting the flow rate right down it still proves to be a mess maker.