PDA

View Full Version : Round the Lake

slofox
27th July 2009, 17:13
Went round Lake Taupo today. 465km. Took about 6.5 hours with two coffee stops of about half hour each. Fabulous day - clear as - bit frosty, bit icy in places (see pic 5) - cold as hell down towards Whakamaru through the forest.
Little bike buzzed away happily all day and does not seem to have consumed excessive amounts of petroleum distillates. +1 for the SVS. Pics attached.

ynot slow
27th July 2009, 17:39
Hell a bad days riding is better than a good days work,you got it bang on with both counts with ride and sights,envious yep.

shafty
27th July 2009, 17:44
Good skills Slofox - great pix :Punk:

slofox
27th July 2009, 17:55
Hell a bad days riding is better than a good days work,you got it bang on with both counts with ride and sights,envious yep.

Today is the first day I have had totally to myself in four years...weather gods smiled...:sunny:

tri boy
27th July 2009, 17:58
Nice pix slofox. I dissapeared behind Te Pahu, and popped into Raglan for a wee look.

slofox
27th July 2009, 18:26
Nice pix slofox. I dissapeared behind Te Pahu, and popped into Raglan for a wee look.

Many years ago I hated Raglan..now I think its totally ace...I often go there and back before work.

grusomhat
27th July 2009, 18:59
It's a nice ride around the Lake. Makes an awesome day trip from Napier.

martybabe
27th July 2009, 19:03
You're a brave man SF, I was out that way early yesterday and some of those shady icy corners were well scary. Great pix though, here's some of mine from Sunday.

1. The bride 'avin a coffee up Ruhapaeu

2. Back to New Plym via Forgotten Highway

3. Paid my respects to Grub

4. Godzone from on high

What a marvellous country, always something great to see or do, get out there kids.:D

Maha
27th July 2009, 19:15
Great pics guys, good feeling to just... 'get out there' and take in what the day has to offer.

Winston001
27th July 2009, 19:32
Good man. I'm astonished that it's so far around Taupo by road?

h_tron
27th July 2009, 19:52
gees with the amount of amazing shots you guys got its surprising you had enough time to ride:Punk:

slofox
27th July 2009, 19:54
Good man. I'm astonished that it's so far around Taupo by road?

That's from Hamilton and return...oh and a few diversions along the way...oh and by a slightly circuitous route...etc

Mind you, now, some bugger has stuck a dagger into the back of my R shoulder somewhere along the way...

YellowDog
27th July 2009, 20:02
Top man Mr Fox.

Well done.

varminter
27th July 2009, 20:02
That's god punishing you for taking a day off work:sunny:

Diggers
27th July 2009, 20:09
Hey Slofox, that's what we in Auckland daydream about whilst at work! Great pics, sounds/looks like a great day was had. Cheers

_intense_
27th July 2009, 20:33
cold as hell down towards Whakamaru .

good fun.
cold is winter riding in central otago. imo

dino3310
27th July 2009, 20:52
nice one matey, i had the day aswell but i started like a nana and waited for the frost to clear, did some visiting around pukeatua ways -absolutely cracker of a day.

Muppet
27th July 2009, 21:11
Went round Lake Taupo today. 465km. Took about 6.5 hours with two coffee stops of about half hour each. Fabulous day - clear as - bit frosty, bit icy in places (see pic 5) - cold as hell down towards Whakamaru through the forest.
Little bike buzzed away happily all day and does not seem to have consumed excessive amounts of petroleum distillates. +1 for the SVS. Pics attached.

I hate you and for that reason alone, I'm out!:laugh: 465 km round? I never knew that, have done all of those roads, but not at once.

ynot slow
27th July 2009, 22:06
Nice pics Marty,the bride gets more beautiful each day,as for you well we age gracefully I suppose.

Never thought of going to Ruapehu via Forgotten Highway,always went Wanganui way when in the South Naki.Mountain is good on a beaut day,looked good last Weds.

oldrider
27th July 2009, 23:12
good fun.
cold is winter riding in central otago. imo

Cold is relative to where you are at, 10 degrees less than yesterday is "cold" wherever you are!

It was minus 8C here yesterday morning and cold, this morning was minus 7C and it felt warmer.

I have been cold on the equator! :cold:

Nice story and pics slofox, (and others) glad you had a nice day! :sunny:

Renegade
27th July 2009, 23:18
i live around the lake and its a great ride but you are a brave man in winter especially with the ice.

SH41 turangi to Taumaranui is nice and twisty with little traffic.

SH47 of SH41 over the saddle up to whakapapa during the summer is great, most wouldnt know it but its actually a quality road surface, shoot back down over to national park, on to ohakune then to waiouru and back down toward turangi through the three sisters.

SH32, 41, 46, 47, around lake Taupo are great with much less traffic flow and less Police.

I recommend a blast in late spring. :love:

pjpnz
28th July 2009, 07:09
On which roads was the ice worst? Does the ice clear in the afternoon? Ice makes me very nervous - but I love the Kihikihi-Whakamaru-Taupo ride!

CookMySock
28th July 2009, 07:56
Today is the first day I have had totally to myself in four years...Shee-it, you should do something about that. Sounds like an epic day out.

in four years, blardy hell.. :shutup:
Steve

slofox
28th July 2009, 08:13
On which roads was the ice worst? Does the ice clear in the afternoon? Ice makes me very nervous - but I love the Kihikihi-Whakamaru-Taupo ride!

Probably worst on 41 although there was ice on Whakamaru Road in the forest as well and a fairly major patch on SH1 heading from Taupo to Turangi. Even heading north from Taumarunui there was the odd little patch.
The photo I have posted of the ice on 41 was taken at 1.30pm. So it hangs about quite late. But it was very visible and there were plenty of warning signs and most had been laid with grit - which is very visible as well albeit just adding to the slip factor.
I saw stuff that I did not expect to thaw at all - it was thick as a biker's brain and totally shaded. Care was the order of the day - just quietly through, no brakes, engine control only...no acceleration minimum engine braking. Didn't even skid once.

martybabe
28th July 2009, 08:52
Never thought of going to Ruapehu via Forgotten Highway,always went Wanganui way when in the South Naki.Mountain is good on a beaut day,looked good last Weds.

We did a big loop T, up the Chocolate river from Wanganui to Ohakune?, desert road to Turangi, then across to the forgotten highway and home, glorious trip, glorious country, always takes longer to get places than I think it will though, she's a big country, there's always something to stop for and I haven't quite worked out those Kilometre things yet :msn-wink:

You're quite right to be Nervous, well cautious at least. It can be any section of any road but especially the dark shady places that don't see the sun for the best part of the day. Anything that looks damp, glazed, frosty or wet should be suspected, even sections that appear to be dry can catch you out. Look for signs along the way, frosty grass, icy culverts etc.

Afternoons should be better as the sun is higher and will have had a chance to thaw out more road but some sections will stay icy/frosty all day. Try going for a ride with an experienced fella like Slowfox and pick up some valuable insight into winter riding.

slofox
28th July 2009, 11:33
You're quite right to be Nervous, well cautious at least. It can be any section of any road but especially the dark shady places that don't see the sun for the best part of the day. Anything that looks damp, glazed, frosty or wet should be suspected, even sections that appear to be dry can catch you out. Look for signs along the way, frosty grass, icy culverts etc.

You need to look out for the icy bits as per Martybabe's post. Then it's a matter of relaxing, taking it easy, not trying to fight it; just letting the bike do its thing. As long as you don't hit it at speed, or tipped over, or have anything unexpected happen that requires rapid change of pace, you should be OK. I go pretty slow through icy bits - try to keep the bike as upright as possible, no sudden changes to power or braking...if I ever need to brake I keep a little throttle on and gently use the rear brake - trail braking if you like. As long as there is some power on, the rear wheel won't lock up and tip you on your arse..well not so far anyway. Sorta like in the wet but more so.

Funny thing though, I have ridden through more ice this winter in the Waikato than I ever did in eight years riding in Canterbury...how do you figure that?

Yesterday wasn't that bad because it had been dry the day before. A frosty morning following rain on the previous day is another crock of poo altogether...

vifferman
28th July 2009, 12:47
Funny thing though, I have ridden through more ice this winter in the Waikato than I ever did in eight years riding in Canterbury...how do you figure that?
Eeh... it's Globular Yawning, y'know. <_<
Coldest winter since 1972, apparently.

crazyhorse
28th July 2009, 13:10
Its a great trip - we did it in March, gonna wait till it fines up again and do it again and again and again. LOL

one fast tl1ooo
28th July 2009, 13:14
that is a good ride around the lake,

crazyhorse
28th July 2009, 13:20
We could make a group of KB'ers "round the lake" trip.... who'll be keen????

one fast tl1ooo
28th July 2009, 13:23
That soundz like a very good plan, when do we go, we want a nice :sunny: day

crazyhorse
28th July 2009, 13:30
I'll order the weather first - then let everyone know :rofl:

slofox
28th July 2009, 13:40
we could make a group of kb'ers "round the lake" trip.... Who'll be keen????

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

one fast tl1ooo
28th July 2009, 13:41
good call, maybe post it on here and get lotssssssss of bikes on the ride

2wheeldrifter
28th July 2009, 14:01

Yep.... keen to go, hopefully I won't be working that weekend... whatever weekend it will be??????????

kiwifruit
28th July 2009, 15:01

Good idea! jrandom and myself are keen... and apparently R6_Kid and Super Dave are doing it on fixed gear bikes! :confused:
http://www.cyclechallenge.com/

slofox
28th July 2009, 15:12
and apparently R6_Kid and Super Dave are doing it on fixed gear bikes! :confused:

I'll wait for them at the turnoff...

h_tron
28th July 2009, 22:06
hey slofox, did you do the lake on the 25th? just wondering if you caught any of the thundercat action on the lake

crazyhorse
29th July 2009, 09:57
I'm quite happy to organise this event - and it would be fun to meet other KB'ers from all over.

There are quite a few HB riders keen to do this, so will have to sort out a meeting point in Taupo.

But honestly guys, best we wait until the cold winter crap weather has passed - so maybe end September onwards..... Well, that is what we were aiming for anyway.

Dooly
29th July 2009, 10:36
Sounds good Shirl, I'll prob be a starter.:sunny:
Went to do it last year with HB KB group but bloody BigG got me lost, and I had to hightail it back to the Bay. ( Long story:laugh:)

2wheeldrifter
29th July 2009, 10:39
I'm quite happy to organise this event - and it would be fun to meet other KB'ers from all over.

There are quite a few HB riders keen to do this, so will have to sort out a meeting point in Taupo.

But honestly guys, best we wait until the cold winter crap weather has passed - so maybe end September onwards..... Well, that is what we were aiming for anyway.

True.... :sunny: sweet as here.

slofox
29th July 2009, 11:38
hey slofox, did you do the lake on the 25th? just wondering if you caught any of the thundercat action on the lake

Was the 27th...Monday.

grusomhat
29th July 2009, 12:05

And that's probably when I'll join the HB rides :) Actually start of September if I pass my full!