PDA

View Full Version : Hells Angels are not a gang...

FJRider
28th July 2009, 09:19
Yep ... you heard it HERE first folks ... Our Mr Laws is getting his law chalenged ...

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/5755639/hells-angels-uses-law-to-take-on-laws/

Headbanger
28th July 2009, 09:43
I dont care what they want to be called, nor what anybody else wants to call them, The issue is no fucker has the right to dictate choice of clothing.

If some fucker is doing shit that requires the law to step in, Then fucking do it, we already have more then enough laws against real criminal behaviour.

sunhuntin
28th July 2009, 09:46
good on them! ive never felt fearful of anyone wearing a patch. its the punks with bandanas that make me worry.

sinfull
28th July 2009, 09:47
Good show i say ! Would rather have a group of mobsters stand out in the distance with their patch, than ride into a group of them unawares aye !

Headbanger
28th July 2009, 09:52
Good show i say ! Would rather have a group of mobsters stand out in the distance with their patch, than ride into a group of them unawares aye !

Hell yes.

Hate that sinking feeling in the gut when ya pull into a servo, get your helmet half off and then realise the place is full of mobsters......

davereid
28th July 2009, 09:58
This is a disgusting law, that really just makes poilce harrasment a legal option.

There are already laws to deal with intimidating behaviour, criminal offences, unlawful assembly etc etc, but the police are too busy catching people with week late rego to bother with criminals.

I sincerely hope Hells Angels fight it all the way to the UN, and its costs the council a fortune.

I gotta watch my back.. maybe I'll cop a $2000 fine.
Just how long till MY club becomes a listed patched organisation.?

duckonin
28th July 2009, 10:01
This is a disgusting law, that really just makes poilce harrasment a legal option.

There are already laws to deal with intimidating behaviour, criminal offences, unlawful assembly etc etc, but the police are too busy catching people with week late rego to bother with criminals.

I sincerely hope Hells Angels fight it all the way to the UN, and its costs the council a fortune.

You ganster you !!!:laugh:

NighthawkNZ
28th July 2009, 10:09
They are a motorcycle club. The day may come where you'll not be able to wear a KB t-shirt or a rugby shirt. I believe these laws should be fought.

Cool one less place youc an advertise then :Punk:

Deano
28th July 2009, 10:10

And Hell's Angels can afford it because........

The Pastor
28th July 2009, 10:16
any way you wash it, they are still a group of scum.

Reckless
28th July 2009, 10:16
I sincerely hope Hells Angels fight it all the way to the UN, and its costs the council a fortune..?

The council's income is rates so who's it gonna cost?????

2wheeldrifter
28th July 2009, 10:25
Think we are missing the point....

if you ban wearing patches they automatically become good citizens and crime will drop.

Think also Mr Law's BF needs to stop pushin so hard as it's pushin more shit out of his mouth!

onearmedbandit
28th July 2009, 11:04

I take it that you know this from personal experience, and that you so strongly believe it you'd have the balls to say it to them in person as well as from the safety of in front of your screen.

Actually if you did say that to them I believe they wouldn't do anything other than ignore you and move on.

The Pastor
28th July 2009, 11:07
I take it that you know this from personal experience, and that you so strongly believe it you'd have the balls to say it to them in person as well as from the safety of in front of your screen.

Actually if you did say that to them I believe they wouldn't do anything other than ignore you and move on.
well that all depends on how much they have had to drink.

Im not saying every single one of them is a complete tool, but when they are together they are.

Swoop
28th July 2009, 11:11

Speaking of ignoring... Only being able to see the part quote that you quoted, but is RM referring to the Council?

The Pastor
28th July 2009, 11:14
Speaking of ignoring... Only being able to see the part quote that you quoted, but is RM referring to the Council?
good call!

Mr Merde
28th July 2009, 11:39
A long time ago, December 1977, two friends and I were just starting our great OE.

We were in Amsterdam, we had partaken of all the delights that city could offer and were extremely wasted.

We spied a bar and decided to go for a drink. Didnt notice all the motorbikes outside ( we were not quite on this planet).

Turns out to be the Amsterdam chapter of the Hells Angels.

Had one of the best nights of those early days of travel.

All the members were really talkative and polite. Never felt threatened or intimidated.

They were club members not villians.

Chris

outlawtorn
28th July 2009, 13:12
good on them! ive never felt fearful of anyone wearing a patch. its the punks with bandanas that make me worry.

I hear ya there.....

MotoGirl
28th July 2009, 13:43

From what I hear, Ulysses is well on the way having already removed patches from its gear list.

Winston001
28th July 2009, 16:08
From what I hear, Ulysses is well on the way having already removed patches from its gear list.

TBH the Ulysses patch always seemed a bit naff anyway. Can't say I've ever wanted to wander around with a cartoon of a scruffy old man attached. A simple Ulysses top rocker would be enough.

Elysium
28th July 2009, 16:50
I agree they are a bike club, just an illegal one(my opinion) who are no differant to the other gangs. I mean seriously, a bike club with fortified gang style headquarters?

onearmedbandit
28th July 2009, 16:56
Why do you consider them 'illegal'?

Headbanger
28th July 2009, 17:18
I agree they are a bike club, just an illegal one(my opinion) who are no differant to the other gangs. I mean seriously, a bike club with fortified gang style headquarters?

Its Wanganui, If we could afford it we would all live in forts.:laugh:

wbks
28th July 2009, 17:26

Just how long till MY club becomes a listed patched organisation.?So long as you guys don't start any big drug trades or start bombing and shooting up places, you should be fine...

Jonno.
28th July 2009, 17:34
Isn't there a quote 'those who forgo liberties for freedom deserve neither'.

peasea
28th July 2009, 17:46

Like plainclothes cops eh? Fuck, that's a worry.

sunhuntin
28th July 2009, 17:52
Its Wanganui, If we could afford it we would all live in forts.:laugh:

if we could afford it, we would move to a better fucking town! :jerry:

Elysium
28th July 2009, 18:30
Well I see a poll on Stuff about this subject see nearly all voters saying they're gang.

Why do you consider them 'illegal'?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand the Hells Angels are associated with crime.

SixPackBack
28th July 2009, 18:37

Do they cause you as many issues as the police?.......do they rape the public to the tune of over a million traffic tickets a year?....
The police are the governments 'gang', they wear patches, act with arrogance, contain good buggers as well as bad......do you trust the police any more than gangs?......do you avoid the police as much as gangs?

The truth is the government could close down gang activity over night, they choose not to. A level of civil disobedience is required for governance, no difference to protection money that [say] the mafia would charge to restaurants. The government say we need 'protecting' from 'gangs' and charge exhorbitantly for the right. The latest move to take away civil rights IMHO could end with blood shed and misery-for the government much more than the gangs!....More likely twats like Law's will waste a great deal of tax payers money trying to defend the indefensible-and lose!

Usarka
28th July 2009, 18:38
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand the Hells Angels are associated with crime.

If there is evidence against an organisation or it's members....why aren't they in jail?

Elysium
28th July 2009, 18:49
If there is evidence against an organisation or it's members....why aren't they in jail?

Same reason the likes of Black Power still walk the streets with their patches, the politicians don't have the will power nor balls to do anything about it. Well except Michael Laws. I mean everyone knows gangs are involved with break ins, drugs etc... but police only jail the ones caught but not break up the organisation that runs the criminal busines.

Simply make gangs like those illegal and crack down hard on them...oh wait can't do that because the greenies get upset about freedom of this and that. But wait for the next violent gang clash and we'll be blaming the police for not cracking down on the gangs

Headbanger
28th July 2009, 18:49

And that's the real issue, If what they say is true, then they should do something about it or stfu.

They point the finger at a group, claim they are the cause of all evil, and then kick back while the Mayor brings in a by-law about clothing.

yeah, That will work accomplish fuck all of nothing untill the cops start a war by trying to take someones patch....

Headbanger
28th July 2009, 18:54
Simply make gangs like those illegal and crack down hard on them..

Or, we could just take a second to realise crime is already illegal and the police already have plenty of power to fight crime, in fact its meant to be their purpose.

If as you say its because the police don't have the balls then what is another law going to do?,Mr Laws wont be out on the street enforcing it, The police will be.

And unless the police intend to strike in numbers and remove patches by force then then its just going to be another useless law that is ignored.

Elysium
28th July 2009, 18:58
If as you say its because the police don't have the balls then what is another law going to do?,Mr Laws wont be out on the street enforcing it, The police will be.

I never said anything about police lacking balls. Re-read my post. Police only have the power to arrest and jail those caught, up the Beeive to sort out he organisations.

peasea
28th July 2009, 18:59
Do they cause you as many issues as the police?.......do they rape the public to the tune of over a million traffic tickets a year?....
The police are the governments 'gang', they wear patches, act with arrogance, contain good buggers as well as bad......do you trust the police any more than gangs?......do you avoid the police as much as gangs?

The truth is the government could close down gang activity over night, they choose not to. A level of civil disobedience is required for governance, no difference to protection money that [say] the mafia would charge to restaurants. The government say we need 'protecting' from 'gangs' and charge exhorbitantly for the right. The latest move to take away civil rights IMHO could end with blood shed and misery-for the government much more than the gangs!....More likely twats like Law's will waste a great deal of tax payers money trying to defend the indefensible-and lose!

Bravo, and let's not forget the rate-payers.

While I applaud Mr Laws for standing up for what he believes in there is a can of worms associated with patches. If you ban something (eg; a gang patch) then it needs to be clearly identified. An organised motorcycle club is most likely to be an incorporated society and will most likely have the paperwork to prove it. Therefore it could be argued that the (ficticious as far as I am aware) Wanganui Crochet Club (an incorporated society) would fall into the category of a 'gang' and woe betide them if they crochet themselves a back patch. Silly scenario? Watch this space.

As previous posts have indicated, Ulysses patches would have to go if the net were to be cast, then it's club T-shirts, the Adidas logo and the Holden badge on our V8. Fuck that; where does it stop? (Look out! Here come the Adidas Boys. There goes that bloody Holden Gang again....) How many people wear patches from rallies they've been to? Will it come down to patch size? Location on the jacket? HOG members beware!

I would add, however, that motorcycle clubs have at least one reason to justify their existence; motorcycles. Groups like the Mongrel Mob, Black Power, Crips, Bloods and their ilk don't appear to have a 'crux' as it were other than to hang together. At least M/C's have motorcycles, the M/C members I know talk a lot about them and appear to have (and have had for some time) a genuine interest in bikes. It is through motorcycles that I have met and befriended many past and present M/C members, how weird is that?

I know what Laws is trying to do but he's trodden in something here.

duckonin
28th July 2009, 19:05

Going to reinstate them I hear..:soon:

Headbanger
28th July 2009, 19:10
I never said anything about police lacking balls. Re-read my post. Police only have the power to arrest and jail those caught, up the Beeive to sort out he organisations.

Your right, You were referring to the politicians, and I am in agreement with you. Though I believe the cops could take some action.

Case in point, After the little girl was shoot dead by the mob, the police raided all their houses, turned up a dozen guns,stolen cars and bikes, weed and P, a few known fugitives, etc etc.

well duh!, That's how the fuckers live, they should be raiding their homes twice a week until they fuck off out to the back blocks or they stop finding shit to charge them with.

peasea
28th July 2009, 19:15
Your right, You were referring to the politicians, and I am in agreement with you. Though I believe the cops could take some action.

Case in point, After the little girl was shoot dead by the mob, the police raided all their houses, turned up a dozen guns,stolen cars and bikes, weed and P, a few known fugitives, etc etc.

well duh!, That's how the fuckers live, they should be raiding their homes twice a week until they fuck off out to the back blocks or they stop finding shit to charge them with.

Don't they call that 'sabre rattling'?

P38
28th July 2009, 19:17

Nah we are cool Dave
The Ulysses is welcome in Wangas

I wrote to the Council asking about our badge and this is the head honchos reply.

Ok here it is straight from the horses mouth.

The Ulysses Club Badge "IS WELCOME" in Wanganui.

Stuart Hylton has replied to my email as below.

Stuart is the Senior Policy Advisor/Deputy Manager for the Wanganui District Council.

Hi Peter

Your members will be pleased to know that they are not affected by the recently passed Prohibition of Gang Insignia Act in Wanganui. Here is the wording from the Act which specifically names gangs that are implicated by the prohibition by reason that they are or have been associated in unlawful activities within the District and their presence including wearing of gang patches is likely to be intimidating to residents in public places.

In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,—
gang means—

(a) Black Power, Hells Angels, Magogs, Mothers, Mongrel

Mob, Nomads, or Tribesmen; and

(b) any other specified organisation, association, or group

of persons identified in a bylaw made under section 5

Hope this clarifies matters. We look forward to your members enjoying another awesome boxing day motorcycle racing this year in Wanganui.

Regards

Stuart Hylton
Senior Policy Advisor/Deputy Manager Policy
Wanganui District Council

06 349 0001
06 3490001
027 4465352
Stuart.Hylton@wanganui.govt.nz
www.wanganui.govt.nz
101 Guyton Street
PO Box 637
Wanganui 4500
New Zealand

peasea
28th July 2009, 19:22
Nah we are cool Dave

I wrote to the Council asking about our badge and this is the head honchos reply.

Stuart is the Senior Policy Advisor/Deputy Manager for the Wanganui District Council.

Hi Peter

Your members will be pleased to know that they are not affected by the recently passed Prohibition of Gang Insignia Act in Wanganui. Here is the wording from the Act which specifically names gangs that are implicated by the prohibition by reason that they are or have been associated in unlawful activities within the District and their presence including wearing of gang patches is likely to be intimidating to residents in public places.

gang means—

Hope this clarifies matters. We look forward to your members enjoying another awesome boxing day motorcycle racing this year in Wanganui.

Regards

Stuart Hylton

06 349 0001
06 3490001
027 4465352
www.wanganui.govt.nz
101 Guyton Street
PO Box 637
Wanganui 4500
New Zealand

Sweeeeeet! The Crochet Club is all good. The members will be in stitches.

Ixion
28th July 2009, 19:30
Y' just fell outta y' chair again, didn' y'

sinfull
28th July 2009, 19:30
Nah we are cool Dave

Hi Peter

gang means—

Regards

Stuart Hylton

06 349 0001
06 3490001
027 4465352
www.wanganui.govt.nz
101 Guyton Street
PO Box 637
Wanganui 4500
New Zealand
Sweeeet so the cops wont tear any ulysses off their bikes, rip the patch off their back and kick the snot out of them, cause they are allowed to wear a patch in town !!!

Usarka
28th July 2009, 19:32
Sweeeet so the cops wont tear any ulysses off their bikes, rip the patch off their back and kick the snot out of them, cause they are allowed to wear a patch in town !!!

Unless the mob start wearing ulysses patches..... :blink:

peasea
28th July 2009, 19:33

Looks like it, discrimination if you ask me.

Wonder what would happen if the two factions got together? Would it be the Hellslysses or the Ulangels? Either way, would the patch be illegal or not?

peasea
28th July 2009, 19:34

Or vice` versa.

Headbanger
28th July 2009, 19:34

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Usarka again

:confused:

idleidolidyll
28th July 2009, 19:39
i reckon those Riders for Jeebus (or whatever the god botherers call themselves now) are gang members and I feel intimidated by their patches.

rip them off i say! ban Jeebus from bikes forever!

Elysium
28th July 2009, 19:43
And lets not even get started the Mormon Few.

gunrunner
28th July 2009, 19:47
But arent the New Zealand Police force a gang , they wear patches ?

Ixion
28th July 2009, 19:48
i reckon those Rider for Jeebus (or whatever the god botherers call themselves now) are gang members and I feel intimidated by their patches.

rip them off i say! ban Jeebus from bikes forever!

Uh, does that include his motorised pogo stick? He won't be happy if you try to ban that .

idleidolidyll
28th July 2009, 19:51
ban em all: 'specially the godbotherers on pogo sticks

kristyins have killed way more peepil than the poor maligned hells angles

peasea
28th July 2009, 19:51
But arent the New Zealand Police force a gang , they wear patches ?

They like to keep them clean too, I've heard them say things like "I don't want any filthy scum on my patch".
They looked me in the eye when they said it too!

Timber020
28th July 2009, 20:56
For every person who has a nice thing to say about the gangs, theres 1000 victims of there rapes, murders, drug dealing, theft, assaults, extortion, kidnapping, shooting, gun running etc etc. They are a highly organised, structured and well financed international franchise in crime and terror

We are all victims of this, we have to pay more in taxes for those who are put in jail, the extra police they tie up with investigations, the people they put in hospital, the drug addicts they produce, the lives they ruin and require the social welfare system to look after.

Your bike insurance, car insurance, house insurance is higher because they set up and cultivate organised theft rings.

Sure they put on a good ride or BBQ now and again but thats just PR and a potential recruiting drive, not to mention a great chance to launder some ill gotten funds. Hitler threw good parties, as did stalin, and they had there fans to.

Insisting on calling themselves a motorcycle club is from direct orders from the US chapters, they are desperately trying to beat the powers of RICO that there high powered lawyers, corrution and intimidation just cant beat.

Am I scared of the gangs? Of course, im not stupid and have seen there "effect" on innocent people more times than Id like to remember, theres thousands of them which thrive in a climate of violence and intimidation and have no qualms about ruining peoples lives at a whim. For money, for a power trip, for shits and giggles or just because they have nothing better to do.

But yeah, defend there freedom to continue to keep going the way they are, the last thing we would want to do in this country is disrupt criminal activity.

onearmedbandit
28th July 2009, 21:04
But yeah, defend there freedom to continue to keep going the way they are, the last thing we would want to do in this country is disrupt criminal activity.

Wow, after reading the first part of your post I'm surprised that you'd end it by saying that. But if you insist.

PirateJafa
28th July 2009, 21:07
Wow, after reading the first part of your post I'm surprised that you'd end it by saying that.

Quick! Someone get a rope! OAB's just fallen into the sarchasm.

onearmedbandit
28th July 2009, 21:10
Haha, was wondering if anyone would bite.

carver
28th July 2009, 21:15
And lets not even get started the Mormon Few.

NZ's most notorious.....

we practice what we preach

peasea
28th July 2009, 21:17
For every person who has a nice thing to say about the gangs, theres 1000 victims of there rapes, murders, drug dealing, theft, assaults, extortion, kidnapping, shooting, gun running etc etc. They are a highly organised, structured and well financed international franchise in crime and terror

We are all victims of this, we have to pay more in taxes for those who are put in jail, the extra police they tie up with investigations, the people they put in hospital, the drug addicts they produce, the lives they ruin and require the social welfare system to look after.

Your bike insurance, car insurance, house insurance is higher because they set up and cultivate organised theft rings.

Sure they put on a good ride or BBQ now and again but thats just PR and a potential recruiting drive, not to mention a great chance to launder some ill gotten funds. Hitler threw good parties, as did stalin, and they had there fans to.

Insisting on calling themselves a motorcycle club is from direct orders from the US chapters, they are desperately trying to beat the powers of RICO that there high powered lawyers, corrution and intimidation just cant beat.

Am I scared of the gangs? Of course, im not stupid and have seen there "effect" on innocent people more times than Id like to remember, theres thousands of them which thrive in a climate of violence and intimidation and have no qualms about ruining peoples lives at a whim. For money, for a power trip, for shits and giggles or just because they have nothing better to do.

Are you referring to the police, CYF's, the government or the IRD?

peasea
28th July 2009, 21:19
NZ's most notorious.....

we practice what we preach

Mormon Few Notorious, I can the embroidery now! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Timber020
28th July 2009, 23:08
Are you referring to the police, CYF's, the government or the IRD?

Not worried about any of them, to some point they can all be reasoned or worked with.

Conquiztador
29th July 2009, 00:22
1. I am concerned that a by-law like this is identifying a handful of targets (see the email apperently from Stuart Hylton). Who has decided what "gangs" are not to wear their patch in Wanganui? This reeks of segregation based on someones personal view. Patch based apartheid?

2. By removing someones patch you do not change that person. If he/she was a criminal the criminal element in him/her is not attached to the patch.

3. If Wanganui has problems with criminal activity of any sort, then surely that should be addressed not by banning patches but by targeting the criminals and stopping their activities with means police already have.

4. I do understand the intimidation factor that gang patches create in many. And I can see what Laws is trying to do. In his simple world "out of sight out of mind" applies. But this is a knee-jerk reaction from a desperate man who has run out of ideas. There is already more then enough laws (excuse the pun) that the police can use to cater for this. Why not try to provide a feeling of saefty for the pensioners by having a higher police presense in town. Get the police to walk the streets, to say "nice day today" to the old ladies and to pop in to the local shops for a friendly chat while walking the street. Go back to the basics and become a part of the community again.

5. Any action creates a reaction. It is like a game of chess. Now the "gangs" will reply. The HA has already started their by fighting it using their lawyers. If this comes a sa surprise to Mr Laws, then he has seen nothing yet. Internationally HA has some of the most brilliant minds working for them. And they can afford it. Like it or not, they are protecting their rights of freedom.

It is with interest I (and the rest of NZ) will follow the developments. The old ladies of Wanganui might be appauding Mr Laws "courage", but when the costs are starting to build and the problems that all this will cause is starting to mount, the only looser will be the current mayor. Money that should be used to improve Wanganui is being wasted on lawyers and court cases. He is putting the nails in to his own coffin.

nadroj
29th July 2009, 08:00
Let's organize a KB get together in Wanganui and walk down the main drag all wearing tiddly winks club t-shirts!

I'm sure Shane & Wayne would see the funny side & join us.....

kiwifruit
29th July 2009, 08:20

Don't be absurd, the hells angels, and other groups of motorcycle enthusiasts (head hunters, highway 61, black power, mongrel mob etc), are just a bunch of family orientated guys that get together to ride and talk about bikes.

gwigs
29th July 2009, 15:03
Making it work could be a problem...imagine two cops on duty ......fifty mob members...."Take off your patches or we will arrest you......
Mob reply....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::finger:

P38
29th July 2009, 18:25
Making it work could be a problem...imagine two cops on duty ......fifty mob members...."Take off your patches or we will arrest you......
Mob reply....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::finger:

Actually I believe the Meter Maids in Wangavegas can issue a fine for breaches of this by law.

Zuki lover
29th July 2009, 18:26
NO THEY ARE A GROUP OF TOSSER :blink:

davereid
29th July 2009, 18:28
Nah we are cool Dave
The Ulysses is welcome in Wangas. I wrote to the Council asking about our badge and this is the head honchos reply.

Hi Peter

A tongue in cheek way of saying that an organisation is not necessarily equal to the sum of its idiots

gang means—

Regards

Stuart Hylton

Thanks for that Pete.

Personally, over 40 years I have collected 18 convictions for assault, (including three for assaulting a police officer, but it was bullshit he and his pals were trying to give me a ticket and deserved it, anyway it was assaulting three poice officers) and a not guilty for attempted murder (the cunt asked for it).

I'm still staunch, so the bash is never far away for wankers.

Its nice to know its not going to be associated with my patch when I deliver a bit of justice, or do some idiot taxing.

I also like the idea that my individual actions will never cause the rest of the club a problem, based on a council committee reading a report on me and a couple of the other lads while I'm a member of the club.

After, all, I've paid up my club membership on the cheap deal, where you get it cheap by buying 10 years membership in advance. And I never bash club members, even if they are plonkers. Cos thats against the rules.

A tongue in cheek way of saying that an organisation is not the sume of its idiots.

cc rider
29th July 2009, 18:33
Is this the first time the Law has been challenged in NZ? :confused:

SixPackBack
29th July 2009, 18:51
Not worried about any of them, to some point they can all be reasoned or worked with.

Yeah that would be one wishful and excessively naive belief. Much like gangs 'reasoning' with any government official comes down to luck of the draw. Try reasoning with psycho ginga in Hazzard County or the IRD and get back to us.

Winston001
29th July 2009, 18:57
Is this the first time the law has been challenged in NZ? :confused:

Various councils in the past have tried to create and enforce bylaws (local laws) to ban patches and fortified gang headquarters. None of them worked - unenforceable or ultra vires ie. not proper council bylaws.

This particular law however was passed by Parliament so is properly made and enforceable......maybe. One problem is it is directly contrary to the Bill of Rights 1991, but they'll have thought of that.

Interesting case.

AD345
29th July 2009, 19:09
Laws like this are more than the result of a failure to enforce existing laws.

They arise due to a collective failure on the part of all segments of a society. As many others have pointed out there are a myriad of laws already in place that can deal with anti-social, or intimidating or violent behaviour. The existing laws seem, however, to have not achieved the desired result (undefined). "Police don't enforce the law!" we cry, "Politicians are gutless" we wail.

When was the last time we (you, I, anyone) got off our arses and made a complaint for the police to act upon? Or, even more to the point, spoken out to the individuals concerned that their behaviour is unacceptable?

Yes yes - a fear of violent retaliation tends to inhibt some civic-mindedness, but other opportunities do go unremarked. We don't want to be busybodies, nosey parkers, narks, wusses etc. Live and let live.

is it any wonder then that in such a climate when there is a (perceived) chorus of complaint attended by little personal action that legislators resort to crafting laws that require no complaint and can be acted upon as and when available resources allow.

It is discriminatory, ad-hoc, arbitrary and quite possibly the thin end of the wedge (most totalitarian states start with majority approval).

It is what we asked for.

We reap as we have sown.

Conquiztador
29th July 2009, 20:33
Laws like this are more than the result of a failure to enforce existing laws.

They arise due to a collective failure on the part of all segments of a society. As many others have pointed out there are a myriad of laws already in place that can deal with anti-social, or intimidating or violent behaviour. The existing laws seem, however, to have not achieved the desired result (undefined). "Police don't enforce the law!" we cry, "Politicians are gutless" we wail.

When was the last time we (you, I, anyone) got off our arses and made a complaint for the police to act upon? Or, even more to the point, spoken out to the individuals concerned that their behaviour is unacceptable?

Yes yes - a fear of violent retaliation tends to inhibt some civic-mindedness, but other opportunities do go unremarked. We don't want to be busybodies, nosey parkers, narks, wusses etc. Live and let live.

is it any wonder then that in such a climate when there is a (perceived) chorus of complaint attended by little personal action that legislators resort to crafting laws that require no complaint and can be acted upon as and when available resources allow.

It is discriminatory, ad-hoc, arbitrary and quite possibly the thin end of the wedge (most totalitarian states start with majority approval).

It is what we asked for.

We reap as we have sown.

Who is this "we"? I certainly do not feel part of this "we".

peasea
29th July 2009, 21:02
Various councils in the past have tried to create and enforce bylaws (local laws) to ban patches and fortified gang headquarters. None of them worked - unenforceable or ultra vires ie. not proper council bylaws.

This particular law however was passed by Parliament so is properly made and enforceable......maybe. One problem is it is directly contrary to the Bill of Rights 1991, but they'll have thought of that.

Interesting case.

It is and will probably continue to be.

One thing is for certain; the Hells Angels aren't stupid and I doubt they'd be betting money on a nag at the Kentucky Derby. Homework will already have been done and in some respects you have to hand it to them; rights are rights and so many people don't know their own, or if they do they won't stand up for them.

Life is full of grey areas and every so often things need to be tidied up, the air cleared or whatever. It might just be that now is the time for New Zealand to define what's right and what's wrong when it comes to attire.

Personally I hope they ban stubbies and leopard-skin jackets.

Where are Trinny and Suzannah when you need them?