PDA

View Full Version : Supposing I wanted a new bike...

slofox
28th July 2009, 15:10
At the rate I am clocking up km's on the SVS, I may well want to change bikes one day in the not too distant future...so, just to fly a few kites here, bear with me please...there's no need to say "ride as many as you can" coz you're talking to the already converted. But just to narrow down the range of try-outs, this is sort of thing that I would be looking for...

1. Reasonable fuel consumption. The SVS gets around 20 - 22 km/l - about 60mpg in old money. I like this. 350km on a tankful. That's good.

2. Weight preferably under 200kg dry. Lighter still is better. I am no giant. I don't want a bike I can't pick up when I drop it and yes I know it's "all technique". But I have always ridden lighter bikes and I like that too. Light is good.

3. I don't need huge power. The SVS with the 2 Bros can gives maybe 72 ponies. Up to maybe 100 would be nice. Any more and I would just have to "try it out" and prolly end up walking...and paying voluntary tax. Not to say breaking my stupid neck. So fair to middlin' power is good.

4. I love the V-Twins but that is not compulsory. Any other config considered if it fulfills the other preferences. But V-Twin is good.

5. Reliability is good. Can't be having with repair bills all the time...

6. Fuel injection is good. No carbs to fuck around with.

7. Decent suspension as stock. Spent half as much again over cost price on the SVS upgrading the crappy OEM bits. Good suspenders is good.

8. No bigger than 1000cc. No smaller than 600cc. Midsize is good.

9. I like the forward seat. I like clipon handles. Can't stand these "sit up and beg" things. So some degree of "sprotbike" is good.

So wotcha reckon? Any suggestions for looksees? I have already sat on the Daytona 675 but it really did not fit. I might have another try but I doubt it is for me. Too thirsty as well and probably overpowered for me at 80% more than the SVS...I'm not that stupid any more...I think

Taz
28th July 2009, 15:17
Get an adv bike. There's lots more to NZ than the Coro loop.

Big Dave
28th July 2009, 15:19
Hyabusa. And Turbo it.

Pussy
28th July 2009, 15:20
Go have a ride on a Gixxer 600 or 750, Slofox... you'll be pleasantly surprised

slofox
28th July 2009, 15:20
Hyabusa. And Turbo it.

Begone ye evil fiend and tempt me not...

javawocky
28th July 2009, 15:34
Time to upgrade to the SV1KS :D

Devil
28th July 2009, 15:35
The most enjoyable bikes dont come in a sports bike shape...

nosebleed
28th July 2009, 15:52
Hyabusa. And Turbo it.

RSVR and Supercharge it

Bend-it
28th July 2009, 16:08
Gsx750 (no R)... Ohh you mentioned light...

hmmm... Duc 749? MMmmmm... tasty... :)

2wheeldrifter
28th July 2009, 17:04
Hmmmm I would try A Duc monster :Punk: Great fun bike... the roads you have been riding lately it's a blast!
S2R 803cc air cooled (small oil cooler) 2 valve 77 hp @ 8250 rpm
S2R 1000cc air cooled (small oil cooler) 2 valve 95 hp @ 8000 rpm

S4R 1000CC Liquid cooled, 4 valve 117 hp @ 8750 rpm
S4RS 1000cc Liquid cooled 4 valve 130 hp @ 9500 rpm

You can customize these bikes so easy... worth a test ride...

PirateJafa
28th July 2009, 17:12
Honda VFR800.

mnkyboy
28th July 2009, 17:26
Honda VFR800.

Funny you mention that - I am looking for the same things you are and the vfr comes up trumps in most aspects.

From the anecdotal stuff it appears that its not the be all and end all for brakes/suspension/power but seems it does everything reasonably well.

I'll be convinced after a test ride though

The Pastor
28th July 2009, 17:28
Vfr 800
gsxr 750
z-750
ER 6

those bikes will see you right mate :)

humphrt
28th July 2009, 18:44
street triple, speed triple

rocketman1
28th July 2009, 19:10
There is no real reason to sell your SVS the only reason your talking like this is that you may feel like a change, while that bike is going well and it will do for about 20 years. I would say hold onto it.
My advice is to buy an additional bike, 2-$3K a bike that is different, and share riding both of them, then you will appreciate getting back on the V twin.

You will get bugger all for the SVS these days maybe $6-$7K tops.
Ride it into the ground, and love doing it.

As I have got older I realise that there are many vehicles I have owned I should have never have sold, I got stuff all for them anyway, thinking back I regret selling the ones I really liked. Don't make that mistake..

slofox
28th July 2009, 19:20
There is no real reason to sell your SVS the only reason your talking like this is that you may feel like a change, while that bike is going well and it will do for about 20 years. I would say hold onto it.
My advice is to buy an additional bike, 2-$3K a bike that is different, and share riding both of them, then you will appreciate getting back on the V twin.

You will get bugger all for the SVS these days maybe $6-$7K tops.
Ride it into the ground, and love doing it.

As I have got older I realise that there are many vehicles I have owned I should have never have sold, I got stuff all for them anyway, thinking back I regret selling the ones I really liked. Don't make that mistake..

You are right on the money - I am thinking along those lines anyway. The SVS is certainly a nice ride to have and ticks all the boxes. But there's always the thrill of something new to dream about. "When I get rich, I'm gonna get a ....(fill in dream bike)"

h_tron
28th July 2009, 22:01
You are right on the money - I am thinking along those lines anyway. The SVS is certainly a nice ride to have and ticks all the boxes. But there's always the thrill of something new to dream about. "When I get rich, I'm gonna get a ....(y2k?????)":shit::shit::shit:

AllanB
28th July 2009, 22:08
I agree with Rocketman1

Ignore the kms, keep it tidy and it will last ages. Get online a buy it some goodies to make up for your cheating thoughts :love:

slofox
29th July 2009, 11:42
Tried the Daytona 675 on again for fit this morning. Definitely a no from me. Sits you so far forward on the bike your head is practically hanging over the front wheel....bit tall too.

Also sat on a 1999 Ducati 996 monoposto...:love:. Now that did fit. Felt like an old shoe. Mind you, its a cack yellow colour (which I am sure I could learn to ignore). We might just have to take it for a wee pootle one fine day soon...anyone know anything about this model?

sleeqe2000
29th July 2009, 13:17
Agree with Rocketman - although if the SV ticks all the box's why not wait around and see what the faired version of the Gladius is like when it finally arrives......
You might get a decent trade in on a 2007 SVS as when I wanted to get mine the local Suzuki dealer here in Wellington didn't have anything second hand. he reckoned decent examples were hard to get.

2wheeldrifter
29th July 2009, 13:31
Also sat on a 1999 Ducati 996 monoposto...:love:. Now that did fit. Felt like an old shoe. Mind you, its a cack yellow colour (which I am sure I could learn to ignore). We might just have to take it for a wee pootle one fine day soon...anyone know anything about this model?

Don't know alot, very much a racer riding postion...that with hard seat does not equal long long day rides, unless your pushin it and you forget about all that and have a blast... Hmmmm mirrors suck too. But hey it's a Ducati and they sound bloody awesome with the right can's on :)

slofox
29th July 2009, 13:47
Agree with Rocketman - although if the SV ticks all the box's why not wait around and see what the faired version of the Gladius is like when it finally arrives......
You might get a decent trade in on a 2007 SVS as when I wanted to get mine the local Suzuki dealer here in Wellington didn't have anything second hand. he reckoned decent examples were hard to get.

Don't particularly like the upright seat of the Gladius.
If I can manage, I'll keep the SVS and have two bikes in the shed...not that I'm greedy at all you unnerstand...(oinkoinkoink).

I did like that 996 this morning...

javawocky
29th July 2009, 14:00
... the faired version of the Gladius is like when it finally arrives......

Lets hope it doesn't look like attached...:eek5:

2wheeldrifter
29th July 2009, 14:04
Well take it out is the only way you will know for sure... take it out to Raglan for a blast... I would love to have one, but slow traffic and long hauls just kills it for me... but it may be your thing??

mashman
29th July 2009, 14:18
Falco, Futura, RSV all with the same twin engine and all very different bikes. Plus you get the reliability of the rotax...

slofox
29th July 2009, 14:38
Falco, Futura, RSV all with the same twin engine and all very different bikes. Plus you get the reliability of the rotax...

Eeee...Boyds have an RSV in there at the moment.....:drool:

scracha
29th July 2009, 14:39
Vstrom, TDM, KLR650, dr650, beemer 800, tiger, KTM thingie, etc wetc

kiwi123
29th July 2009, 17:37
My Z1000 ticks most boxes although not quite economical enough and just a bit much HP, if you throw on a +1 front sprocket it would be almost perfect for you & if you pull off 2 spark plug leads you will have a twin!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=103983

Zuki lover
29th July 2009, 18:21
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:suppose you should buy one then:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Renegade
29th July 2009, 18:44
2006+ VFR800, love em, those futuras are nice too though

Indiana_Jones
8th August 2009, 16:46
Tried the Daytona 675 on again for fit this morning. Definitely a no from me. Sits you so far forward on the bike your head is practically hanging over the front wheel....bit tall too.

Same here for me, but try the street triple, I find that has enough room, even at 6' 3".

Wicked bike! :Punk:

-Indy

Clivoris
9th August 2009, 11:32
One of those BMW 800cc parallel twin things? MD and others positively raved about them. Performance beyond the specs because it's a great package and not very common. Apart from the "not being common" thing, lots of similarities to the SV650 with a bit more performance.

Blackbird
9th August 2009, 13:12

Did you try the Street Triple? I'll be at Hamilton Motorcycles around lunchtime on Tuesday trying one!

short-circuit
9th August 2009, 13:59
Did you try the Street Triple? I'll be at Hamilton Motorcycles around lunchtime on Tuesday trying one!

Congratulations on your new bike (I may as well just say it now)

Blackbird
9th August 2009, 14:04
Congratulations on your new bike (I may as well just say it now)

Hahahaha - I'll probably come out with a Rocket 3:gob:

Squid69
9th August 2009, 14:15
Funny you mention that - I am looking for the same things you are and the vfr comes up trumps in most aspects.

From the anecdotal stuff it appears that its not the be all and end all for brakes/suspension/power but seems it does everything reasonably well.

I'll be convinced after a test ride though

FHHHAAARK

he said good fuel consumption...

If consuming fuel was the aim of the game then the VFR wins everything

James Deuce
9th August 2009, 14:21
What Clivoris said. F800S with the following factory extras: Akrapovic exhaust, heated grips, computer, GPS, and tall screen.