PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Ninja Rider - Proud of the L plate !

hctseng
28th July 2009, 21:15
Hi everyone, Hayden here. Only got my learner in mid June :2thumbsup so only a month of riding, still very new to the whole thing. Got myself a 2nd hand 08 Ninja 250 (red) with the L plate on Trade Me :done:

Currently in a financial crisis because of the bike purchase and I miscalculated the amount of money I needed to spend on gear......:crybaby:
Been having a lot of fun riding and learning with a few close call here and there......

I must first apologise if you live around 3 kings, Epsom area because in my very first week of riding, I have been practicing around my neighbourhood at night (after work) and it took me a week to learn "hill start" and have stalled endless times. If you live in those area and have heard some idiot rev-ing the engine out loud at night on a ninja bike, it was my fault :stupid:

I have been riding to work to North Shore now if its not raining, if you do see a red ninja with the L plate on the bridge, that would probably be me.

This is a great website/forum, I have learnt a lot from here and hopefully I will be able to give my 2 cents in the early future.

Anyone in the Auckland region wants to go for a ride in the weekend please email me :third: I will be very keen to learn more riding skills from all of you !

Cheers

Cheshire Cat
28th July 2009, 21:29
Welcome to the shite! :sunny:

p.dath
28th July 2009, 21:37
3 Kings to the North Shore? At least you'll get a lot of km's under your belt.

Jonno.
28th July 2009, 21:40
3 kings to northshore , you're brave hah, how much did you score the bike for?

TOTO
28th July 2009, 21:40
welcome bro. good on ya.

YellowDog
28th July 2009, 21:44
That's a nice pretty new bike you can afford there.

Lots of cheap gear around. You only need to buy the helmet as new.

Good idea practicing at night.

Try and find an empty car park somewhere so you can get your slow manouevering skills sorted.

Take it easy and good luck.

hayd3n
28th July 2009, 21:48
hey dude
like ya name
welcome to kb

rickstv
28th July 2009, 22:02
welcome to KB, always room for one more in here.
As you're on the shore every day, why not turn up to the NASS training nights outside Noel Leamings at the Albany Mega Centre. It's free and you will meet a lot of riders of all experiences. Starts about 7.30pm Wednesday nights when every one arrives from the start point at Westgate. Or if you feel up to it you can meet up with everyone at Westgate Shell Service Station at 6.30pm for the ride to Albany. The good bit is it totally free and there is usually at least 2 mentors there. See you there:done:
Rick.

hctseng
28th July 2009, 23:08
Thank you all so much ! I felt warmly welcomed ! I am quite a computer geek if anyone ever needs help with PC problems !

Re bike gears, too bad I have already bought all of them :stupid:. Didnt have time to shop around since I bought the bike first and I just felt like start riding right the way, got all my gear from Motomail @ Ponsonby, highly recommend Chris there as he spent 3 hours with me going through my gear selection !

I got my 08 Ninja for $6300 @ 150km, the bike wasnt very responsive at first due to some fuels have turned bad, took it to Red Baron for service and now its all good.

Would love to come to the NASS training tomorrow and meet every body ! Hopefully the weather would be good with few showers only, how would I find out if its cancelled or not?

Thanks again !

Swoop
29th July 2009, 13:47
Welcome to the funny farm that is KB!

A great choice of bike you have there. Ride safe.
:ride:

ready4whatever
29th July 2009, 15:25
shot with the ninja. im thinking about getting one, got my restricted yesterday. its the type of bike id keep well after i get my full. watercooled DOHC straight twin - nice

hctseng
29th July 2009, 15:42
Congrats on the Restricted, I will be doing mine at the end of year, Just took a look at my drivers licence, funny it still says issue date 2003 which is when I got my car licence.

How the heck would they know how long I have had my learner bike licence for?

jetboy
30th July 2009, 14:46
Hello

:beer:

rie
30th July 2009, 15:13
Congrats on the Restricted, I will be doing mine at the end of year, Just took a look at my drivers licence, funny it still says issue date 2003 which is when I got my car licence.

good point. that must mean that i look like i've had my learners for... 7 years. omg.

rie
30th July 2009, 15:15
btw awesome deal on the bike! too bad you had to get the fuel thing sorted. i would have asked for less so you can cover having to drain the fuel, etc. but still a good deal! have fun :)

Jonno.
30th July 2009, 15:30
150km? or 15000km? any how good bargain def gonna pick one sometime. btw it should say on the back of ya license...

hctseng
30th July 2009, 17:06
btw awesome deal on the bike! too bad you had to get the fuel thing sorted. i would have asked for less so you can cover having to drain the fuel, etc. but still a good deal! have fun :)

I was more a peace of mind thingy too taking the bike in for service, being my first bike I know nothing about mechanics or what to look for

I did not know fuel was causing the problem, the first owner was still its very first tank of fuel hence the low mileage. Apparently fuel can go bad and you should not keep fuel for more than couple of months ! They should start printing expiry dates on the receipts when I go fill up at petrol station !

150km? or 15000km? any how good bargain def gonna pick one sometime. btw it should say on the back of ya license...

150km only, there is a lot of good deals on trade me at the moment, a couple of ninja 250 low km, early $6000. We should form a newbie ninja 250 club?!!!

Jonno.
30th July 2009, 19:35
Wow that's good. Just gotta buy one first...

YLWDUC
30th July 2009, 19:52
Welcome aboard Hayden. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm glad that you're thinking seriously about the right gear. It will be worth every penny you can afford to spend on it.

Good luck on the bridge, and if you've got Wednesday evening free, then look up the NASS (North Auckland Street Skills) ride for learning new skills at your own pace.

Pete

hctseng
30th July 2009, 20:52
Wow that's good. Just gotta buy one first...

Thank you Pete, I will be coming from next Wednesday and onwards, look forward to meeting everyone and learn.

Hope everyone is riding safely !

CM2005
30th July 2009, 21:00
these skills every wed at westgate?? i'm living at whenuapai as of tomorrow might pop round.

Qkchk
30th July 2009, 21:13

Im sure if you asked one of the lovely people behind the desk at your local NZTA agency, the extensive database will enlighten you.

Most people will remember to the day when they got their Learners Licence, it's a huge milestone isnt? Bit like flying solo in an aeroplane. :yes: