PDA

View Full Version : Biker who caused a crash near Greta Valley last Sunday, the police would like a chat.

Oakie
30th July 2009, 17:53
Following is a request from the Cheviot Police for information or witnesses. I'm involved in this because a workmate's sister was in the car concerned. I have seen the photos and this could so easily have been a fatal.

Hello Richard

My colleague says you may be able to help with an appeal for witnesses or information leading to the identity of the motorcyclist that did a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre at Greta Valley, which caused Jean XXXX to take evasive actions and be hit from behind.

While I am charging the other driver for careless use (following too close) I want to know who that rider was that started off the chain of events.

The date was Sunday 26 July 2009 at about 12.00pm (lunchtime).

Location was Omihi Road (State Highway One) approaching Greta Valley on the section of road that has the "cable" type of barrier on both sides with a deer fence beyond (about 1km north of Omihi Saddle).

A motorcyclist travelling north overtook a red van (similar to a Ford Econovan) going into the southbound lane and into the oncoming path of Jean causing her to take action to protect herself and the motorcyclist.

From what Jean has told me the motorcyclist was apparently the last of a group heading north. Motorcyclist was on a red bike with large fairing on the front (Jean is in the opinion that it was a 900 Ducati) with the rider wearing a red and white helmet.

This person may have been part of a ride up SH1 that stopped in Cheviot (most of the riders parked up outside Magpies and Two Rivers Cafe in Cheviot).

Jean told me that the rider was the last of a bunch (about 10) so the other riders may not have been aware of their mate's actions nor may the actual rider be aware of what the end result was and thinks there is nothing in it.

I would very much like to know who this rider was and get their side of the story before deciding on what to do with them

If you can assist with a notice in KiwiBiker that would be fantastic. I'll be at work tomorrow (Friday 8 to 4) so if you want more information ring the ChCh toll free number 363 5292.

Regards

Al Riley
Constable
Cheviot Police
Telephone 03 3198 845 (ChCh 363 5292)

If the rider of that bike reads this, they know what needs to be done. If someone else knows who it was you can judge for yourself what to do about it.

Lets not be sidetracked by the car behind hitting the victim's car. This incident was precipitated by a biker who may owe his life to the victim getting out of his way.

dangerous
30th July 2009, 17:56
good luck... they will be long gone.

ps; seen the thread on this by r1madness?
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=104286

Oakie
30th July 2009, 19:57
Photo of the aftermath of the accident in question.

The car didn't go through the cheesecutter but managed to squeeze into the gap between the deer fence and where the cheesecutter started.

The second photo just manages to show where the biker passed ... on a left hand sweeper near the brow of a hill.

Oakie
30th July 2009, 20:05
It wasn't me, but if it was I'd keep my mouth shut, and it if was YOU I would STILL keep my mouth shut.

Do you really expect KBers to put someones neck in the noose? And for what? So the fuzz can fine them for it? What is this going to achieve? Revenge?

Steve

I have no expectations of what anyone should do. I'm just putting the info out there and people can act as they see fit. My guess is that the person won't even know this happened.

sAsLEX
30th July 2009, 20:05
Photo of the aftermath of the accident in question.

The car didn't go through the cheesecutter but managed to squeeze into the gap between the deer fence and where the cheesecutter started.

Why is the cheesecutter there? Highlights how this roadside abomination reduces the available space on a roadway without increasing the safety of those travelling on it.

Subike
30th July 2009, 20:12
Uh, theres always plenty of room right down the centerline. It's fair that the lady in the car didn't know that, but the rider will have, or should have.

Steve

Have you personally riden this section of road Steve?

I drive it every day to work, and ride it often as well,
It is a long left hand bend coming from the south where this incident happened,
There are also deep flood channels on both sides of the carrage way to remove flodding that occurs with any decent rainfall on this section of road. The road is not as wide as it looks.
It is very easy to cross the center line at speed on this corner, there have been many accidents on this corner caused by excessive speed, thus the need for the cheese cutter ropes. Untill you come down here and ride this road yourself, you opinion has no qualification.
The corner is deceptive, the person in the car was a local and knew the corner. Her reaction was the right one in the circumstances for her.

sAsLEX
30th July 2009, 20:13
The corner is deceptive

How is it marked?

Subike
30th July 2009, 20:18
There is no speed marking as it is a 100kph crner, but it is the second bend of a serries from the top of the Omahi Saddle, so it is down hill to the right hander, a very small flood prone drop, the a gradual rise in the left hander where the incident happened. It is very very easy to exceed 100kph coming into the second crn from the hill. Standard roadside markings are along the road.

Jantar
30th July 2009, 20:52
I have moved post speculating about this accident to the other thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=104286.

I would ask that this thread be used purely for dicussion of the scene or events that will help identify the rider concerned.

madbikeboy
31st July 2009, 06:41
So, let me get this right.

Bike overtakes, car swerves to avoid bike because the road is narrow.

Hmm.

Sounds to me like the biker should fess up, and then buy the chick in the Subaru a lifetime membership to the Thank You club.

PrincessBandit
31st July 2009, 07:34
I think it is a timely reminder that our actions on the road can have consequences we may not be aware of. Surely the rider would have realised that they were cutting it a bit close - for that end result to have occurred. It is quite scary to realise that any motorist can leave carnage in their wake and not even be aware of it.

If they were aware that something was amiss but carried on regardless then they really need to come forward. And it's not really fair to keep your mouth shut simply to "not nark" on another driver/rider/cyclist. If a complete stranger had been the cause of it people who "think they might know who it is, or have a fair idea" would be coming forward with information. I take it they are trying to locate the red van driver.

The concept of not narking is a complete insult to the innocent party who faces goodness only knows what trauma.

Good on you for putting it up here and trying to assist.

CookMySock
31st July 2009, 07:52
I know its not fair PB, you are right, and all motorists have a responsibility to not spook hell out of others so they run up some bank and kill their stupid selves.. But it will do nothing to nail someone to the wall for it, except give the police someone to bash and the insurance companies someone to sue.

This is the type of thing that makes your mates look at you sideways for a long long time, and the person who did it WILL know about it by now, and HIS mates will emphatically not be amused, I am sure. Sometimes the natural punishment for things has a better long-term effect than any artificial consequences laid.

If everyone is insured and not hurt then it's time to move on and let everyone keep the lessons they have learned from it. I am sure the poor lady in the car will be watching her rear-vision mirrors a lot better from now on, and the driver that hit her will slow down around corners he cant see around, and lets hope the biker backs off scaring hell outa motorists.

Leave it and move on.

Steve

MSTRS
31st July 2009, 09:05
Hmmmm...red bike....red fairing....keen to 'Leave it and move on'...
It was DB...

slimjim
31st July 2009, 09:26
so yup understand all above.. however i had hoped that the following vehicle that shunted the lady's car could have given her more following distance .than tailgating..
and rider would have no idea due to looking where he's headed,who would think not to a second car ramming the first car that's stepped on her brakes via fright

PrincessBandit
31st July 2009, 16:49
If everyone is insured and not hurt then it's time to move on and let everyone keep the lessons they have learned from it. I am sure the poor lady in the car will be watching her rear-vision mirrors a lot better from now on, and the driver that hit her will slow down around corners he cant see around, and lets hope the biker backs off scaring hell outa motorists.

Leave it and move on.

Steve

Put it this way, would you feel the same if it happened to one of your family?

dangerous
31st July 2009, 19:35
so yup understand all above.. however i had hoped that the following vehicle that shunted the lady's car could have given her more following distance .than tailgating..
and rider would have no idea due to looking where he's headed,who would think not to a second car ramming the first car that's stepped on her brakes via fright

BINGO.. at last, work it out
the road is not a narrow section, the damage done to the sub is mostley rear end. IMHO the car was pushed down the bank not driven in avoidance of the bike... duely noted that this all was created by the arse biker, but the 2 cars involved were being driven and reacted rather badley to.. again IMHO

Katman
31st July 2009, 21:32
Do you think I would?

Should I be offended if you didn't?

Max Preload
1st August 2009, 11:14
Should I be offended if you didn't?

Would a reasonable person be?

Katman
1st August 2009, 11:18
Would a reasonable person be?

Are you suggesting I'm reasonable?

Max Preload
1st August 2009, 12:24
Are you suggesting I'm reasonable?

I wouldn't do that, would I?

Fatjim
1st August 2009, 12:32
Hmmmm...red bike....red fairing....keen to 'Leave it and move on'...
It was DB...

You forgot "last" as well.