PDA

View Full Version : Giving change.

Laava
30th July 2009, 22:58
This fair gripes my gizzard! How does it affect you?
I went into Super cheese Auto today to get some oil and stuff and the bill came to $18 and change. I paid with a $50 note [Anyone else remember these?] and got given; $30 in 2 notes and then a large receipt made out of that waxy paper they make cheap toilet paper with. Then in my still outstretched hand, on top of the receipt, was placed the coins of inherent instability and much needed dexterity. In my other hand , of course, I had a bottle of oil and other sundry. The only thing you can do is to scrunch the whole lot up into your hand before it all becomes dangerously unstable!
What I want to know is; is there a reason why the change etc is always handed out like this? Why can they not put the coins in your hand 1st? But they never do and I wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to why this is standard business practice?
Rant over.

FJRider
30th July 2009, 23:06
I just put all my just purchased stuff on the counter, and slowly put my change in my wallet/pocket. The more people behind me, the longer I take.

SMOKEU
30th July 2009, 23:12
As for standard business practice, I'm not sure but when I'm working on checkouts I find it easier to hand out the notes first and then the coins.

FlangMasterJ
30th July 2009, 23:47
I know what you mean. Trying to pick the change out of scrunched up notes and reciepts is a pain in the ass!

In saying that, I use cash maybe once a fortnight. My EFTPOS card is so thin it's almost transparent.

peasea
31st July 2009, 00:10
This fair gripes my gizzard! How does it affect you?
I went into Super cheese Auto today to get some oil and stuff and the bill came to $18 and change. I paid with a $50 note [Anyone else remember these?] and got given; $30 in 2 notes and then a large receipt made out of that waxy paper they make cheap toilet paper with. Then in my still outstretched hand, on top of the receipt, was placed the coins of inherent instability and much needed dexterity. In my other hand , of course, I had a bottle of oil and other sundry. The only thing you can do is to scrunch the whole lot up into your hand before it all becomes dangerously unstable!
What I want to know is; is there a reason why the change etc is always handed out like this? Why can they not put the coins in your hand 1st? But they never do and I wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to why this is standard business practice?
Rant over.

What grade oil was it?

Gremlin
31st July 2009, 01:02
Stop using cash... I haven't carried any for years. :clap:

vtec
31st July 2009, 03:06
Its much better than here in South America, there´s always change shortages, eg. so you turn up with a 50 boliviano peso note (worth about $10 NZ) and they´ll tell you that they don´t have change for that. Also, you have to check the notes carefully and closely because there´s so much counterfeit money and all the locals know about it so if you end up with counterfeit money you´re left with the hot potato.

In Argentina, there is the change mafia, and they hoard all the small change, and sell it to you at inflated rates, because you need these coins to ride the public transport. If you´re getting frustrated in NZ, it´s time for a change get out, and see how other people live. It´s good for the soul too.

popa griffin
31st July 2009, 05:09
The are suposed to count it back to you.

Hence the reason the notes come first. But since places like that hire 16yos and slave labour and under train them. The counting back has stoped.

eg.
15.70 change. givin in 10 doller note, 5 doller note, 50 cent coin and 20 cent coin.

thats $10, $15, $15.50, $15.70.

YellowDog
31st July 2009, 06:17
Stop using cash... I haven't carried any for years. :clap:
EFPOS = Problem Solved.

Mom
31st July 2009, 07:24
Why can they not put the coins in your hand 1st? But they never do and I wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to why this is standard business practice?
Rant over.

This is a classic example where modern technology and poor maths skills are shown up. In the olden days you used to ring a sale on the till, take the money tendered, place it on the top of the till drawer and count out the change. Then you delivered the change back to your customer, counting it back as you went so they and you knew they were gettting the right amount.

These days the sale is rung on and then the amount tendered is entered and the till calculates the change for the sale. The staff manning the till simply take out what the till says is change and plop the whole lot in your hand.

Drives you nuts sometimes, very difficult to see if you actually got the right change, and worst of all almost impossible to manhandle the money into your wallet without spilling coins everywhere.

Fatt Max
31st July 2009, 07:31
I was in a shop once in the uk, had my hands full of stuff (clothes etc) and the nice lady (40ish she was, I was about 19) went to give me my change.

'Dont worry, I see you have your hands full, I'll put it in your back pocket' she says. Now thats what I call service....

...apart from when she did, she forced the change in a bit to hard (as she had to squeeze her hand into the back pocket of a bloke with a fat arse), my belt snapped and my pants fell down, right there ane then in the shop.

....and I had my Piny & Perky undies on.....

Owl
31st July 2009, 07:40
You could have cancer? That would be something to stress about!:sweatdrop

buffstar
31st July 2009, 08:47
I remember working in retail and being taught the counting out customers change thingy........
Wot really gets my goat is rude service. I hate it when the person serving me tallies up my purchases and says "10 dollars." usually I give them a quizzical look (most times they are so disinterested they dont even catch it) and then give them my $$$ or card. And then theres not even a thank you.

Maybe I'm just too arrogant for my own good, but I expect a "please" and a "thank you". This is MY MONEY, that I'm choosing to spend in their shop.....thereby helping them keep their business open.....

The reaction they recieve back from me depends on what sort of day I've had, on more than one occasion I have stood at the counter until they give me a quizzical look and then ask them if Please and Thank You are hard words for them? I prefer to go to shops where the ppl are polite and avoid the rude buggers

Laava
31st July 2009, 09:06
I was in a shop once in the uk, had my hands full of stuff (clothes etc) and the nice lady (40ish she was, I was about 19) went to give me my change.

'Dont worry, I see you have your hands full, I'll put it in your back pocket' she says. Now thats what I call service....

...apart from when she did, she forced the change in a bit to hard (as she had to squeeze her hand into the back pocket of a bloke with a fat arse), my belt snapped and my pants fell down, right there ane then in the shop.

....and I had my Piny & Perky undies on.....
So did the nice lady finish the job?

ynot slow
31st July 2009, 10:14
Coins last maybe the idea is stopping the notes blowing away when doors open.Bit of weight stops notes disapearing,if that happened customer would rant about losing notes.

klingon
31st July 2009, 10:34
The are suposed to count it back to you.

Hence the reason the notes come first. But since places like that hire 16yos and slave labour and under train them. The counting back has stoped.

eg.
15.70 change. givin in 10 doller note, 5 doller note, 50 cent coin and 20 cent coin.

thats $10, $15, $15.50, $15.70.

I'm with the old-school counting change backwards brigade.

So in the above example, the customer's purchase was $4.30 and they give you a $20 note. You put the $20 on the shelf above the cash drawer (sometimes there would be a clip there for the purpose). Then you give them the change - coins first and counting out loud as you go.

$4.30
(give them 20c coin) = $4.50
(give them 50c coin) = $5
(give them $5 note) = $10
(give them $10 note) = "and 10 makes $20"
So you end up confirming how much they gave you in the first place, and it stays visible on the top of the till until they accept the change.

Then of course a cheerful "thank you!" and a big smile to complete the transaction.

imdying
31st July 2009, 11:19

So in the above example, the customer's purchase was $4.30 and they give you a $20 note. You put the $20 on the shelf above the cash drawer (sometimes there would be a clip there for the purpose). Then you give them the change - coins first and counting out loud as you go.

$4.30
So you end up confirming how much they gave you in the first place, and it stays visible on the top of the till until they accept the change.Likewise.

If the customer is paying by EFTPOS, then I'll staple their EFTPOS receipt to their company receipt as well.

popa griffin
31st July 2009, 11:22

$4.30
So you end up confirming how much they gave you in the first place, and it stays visible on the top of the till until they accept the change.

Then of course a cheerful "thank you!" and a big smile to complete the transaction.

Yes. I have heard that way too. But when I worked at new world back in the days of high school I got trained for the tills to help out if needed. I got trained the way I said.

I still think that the reason service is so shit now, is the supermarkets hiring cheap, so you get all the 16-17yos who get paid the smallest amount possible.

To me it isnt fair to them that someone doing less work gets paid more cuz there older. I often have sympathy for the shitty service they give... That and i dont like talking to them anyway and would rather not have a word spoken.

ynot slow
31st July 2009, 18:43
Mum and dad had a dairy and cafe when we were young,even at 7 yrs they would let us take money,can remember a lady gave me $5.00 and goods were $2.15,proud as I handed back counting $2.20,$2.30,$2.50,$3.00,$5.00 as I counted 5c,10c,20c,50c,$2 note to her,was the way they expected it to be done.Don't do it now though,but then those days no computer said how much change was required,so it came second nature to work out amount of sale then amount of change.

sunhuntin
31st July 2009, 21:42
i hand back the coins on top cos its just the way ive always done. i dont count back cos ive never been taught how, and the place where i did my till training was all about moving people as fast as possible. after 12 hours of standing in the same spot with no breaks, no food or drink and very few short sit downs on the bog, the last thing you need to be doing is counting back. hard enough remembering the please, thank you and smiles.

i think its also the idea that if coins are on the top, and the receipt etc get crushed around it, you are less likely to drop the coins than if they were in the palm of your hand. and also to stop notes etc blowing away. i prefer my change that way, as i dont always have time to put it away, and crushing the coins in the middle means i can shove the lot in my pocket and not worry about it.

Motu
31st July 2009, 22:42
Counting change...I'm of the generations that were taught to count change - but I never got it.Now I've found I have a form of dyslexia called dyscalculia.I've always been very scathing of such made up problems,they are just a cop out for being stupid...and if I had ever heard of dyscalculia I'm sure I'd have laughed and said bullshit!

However,it does exist.I have no concept of higher maths,plain arithmetic is hard enough for me....fortunately I was able to drop maths in the 4th form.A classic symptom of dyslexia is thinking in 3D pictures....and that's how I calculate - I add and subtract using mental images of dice,finger counting with dots in my head.I have developed a strong memory for mental imagery,and can do some big sums,even complex long division in my head.However,if I can't picture it,I can't comprehend.So arithmetic is all I can do.

But without knowledge of a problem,I learned to cope (lie and cheat).I have had to handle money in my jobs....ran my own business for 11 years,taking money and giving change.It was hard,but I developed my own methods (counting back doesn't work for me,I don't know how it works).Luck was on my side - calculators,dropping 1cent,and then 5cent coins.I worked my bills out to the nearest dollar if possible....50cents maybe.

No excuse for smart kids who have never been taught - but hey,some of us were just born stupid.But now I can call it dyslexia/dyscalculia - it's good to have a cop out.I should work on a disability benefit from ACC.

ynot slow
1st August 2009, 10:54
My brother knows a guy similar to you,he had his own business,and also works for others as a contractor,he has his wife check his accounts when he does them,sometimes he does the same,i.e round up to nearest dollar,he laughed once getting decimal point wrong,account was nearly sent as $450.00 and should have been $45000.00.

Motu
2nd August 2009, 22:56
I did the same - put through $45.00 as $4,500 on EFTPOS,and it went through! I had to write the guy a cheque.I did the daily accounts,but my wife did all the real account work.She is very good at maths and English,and without her I would be lost...someone who understands what is incomprehensible to me.